Your HC choice in SB game

Italian Bills

9 hours ago, SMAKCruiser said:

Andy Reid

Correct me if I am wrong but wasn't Andy Reid's playoff record somewhat suspect before Mahomes came to town.  His Eagles teams lost something like 3 of 4 NFC title games where they were either the favorite or a pick em and he had a couple head scratching playoff losses in KC too (The Colts comeback game comes to mind).  Reid was known for coming up short in the playoffs prior to finally breaking through because of Mahomes.

• Agree 2

1 minute ago, Solomon Grundy said:

Ted Marchibroda. He wanted to let Thurman run the ball in SB XXV. Marv believed in staying the course and run the offense that got them to the dance

Didn't the Giants (if I remember correctly) start the game with just 2 DL with everyone else back playing the pass. They were begging the Bills to run the ball down their throats. Thurman did have a great game. Would have been the MVP if it was 22-20.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Have to disagree here.  He had Brees for about 12 seasons with that offensive talent and lost constantly in the playoffs, especially against lesser QB's like Case Keenum.

And that had nothing to do with Brees's penchant for turnovers?

Those Saints offenses weren't loaded with talent.  It was a very good system.  

Edited by Chicken Boo

10 hours ago, Einstein said:

Belichick.

He’s the greatest to ever coach.

Even now, if you look at the crap he has on that Patriots roster, how he got them to the playoffs in 2021 and close in 2022 is impressive.

I actually 100% agree with this. Not about the roster but if you put Allen and our offense and Belichick with two weeks to game plan for the opposing teams offense, I believe it would get us over the top there is a huge track record there including SB 25 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

And that had nothing to do with Brees's penchant for turnovers?

Those Saints offenses weren't loaded with talent.  It was a very good system.  

It 17 playoff games, Drew Brees threw 35 TD's to 14 INT's with a passer rating of 97.1 while with the Saints.

Yes the Saints always had loaded offenses.  Brees has had Jimmy Graham, Marques Colston, Michael Thomas and Brandin Cooks to throw too.

He had Mark Ingram and Alvin Kamara in their primes.  

The problem was they ignored defense for the longest times.  They missed the playoffs multiple times because of it.

12 minutes ago, gonzo1105 said:

I actually 100% agree with this. Not about the roster but if you put Allen and our offense and Belichick with two weeks to game plan for the opposing teams offense, I believe it would get us over the top there is a huge track record there including SB 25 

Agreed.

And people bash Belichick for cheating. Whatever. I don’t care. He kept finding loopholes to help his team. I wish McD was that smart.

Sean McDermott. Why not?

It took Andy Reid 2 decades to win one.
Shanahan has coached SF for 6 years. In 3 of those years they’ve gone:

6-10

4-12

6-10

Tomlin won a SB 14 yrs ago. Since then, they’ve made the playoffs 8, but missed the playoffs 6 times. Stellar, indeed. 

Sean Payton won a SB 11 years ago. Since then, he missed the playoffs in 4 seasons. Including a three year stretch of no playoffs. 
IMO, the grass isn’t guaranteed to be greener with these guys. 

• Like (+1) 3

2 hours ago, Fleezoid said:

Since you broke the rules, it's now a free-for-all.

So I'm gonna say Chuck Noll.

Dam. I try to be a rule follower but I missed the last sentence.

If they must be active then I'm going with Doug Pederson. This guy won a  SuperBowl with one of the least talented QBs. What did Reid and Belichick do without Mahommes and Brady. Yes both are excellent coaches but Pederson did more with less. 

And Pederson tore up BB's defense.

This may sound strange to some of you, but I like who we have.  McD is an up and coming coach. Reid is now in his twilight years. Our coach has been through fire and has learned from his mistakes. He's the one I want leading the team. Reid has had some awesome offenses. McD has too. And McD has had some pretty awesome defenses as well. It's been a grind with McD, and that is what will make winning a Superbowl with him all the sweater. The grass isn't always sweeter on the other side of the fence folks. Be careful what you wish for.

1 hour ago, Bills fan since 87 said:

Correct me if I am wrong but wasn't Andy Reid's playoff record somewhat suspect before Mahomes came to town.  His Eagles teams lost something like 3 of 4 NFC title games where they were either the favorite or a pick em and he had a couple head scratching playoff losses in KC too (The Colts comeback game comes to mind).  Reid was known for coming up short in the playoffs prior to finally breaking through because of Mahomes.

You are correct but he has since broken through.   If you asked me in 2004, I would not have picked him 

32 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

It 17 playoff games, Drew Brees threw 35 TD's to 14 INT's with a passer rating of 97.1 while with the Saints.

Yes the Saints always had loaded offenses.  Brees has had Jimmy Graham, Marques Colston, Michael Thomas and Brandin Cooks to throw too.

He had Mark Ingram and Alvin Kamara in their primes.  

The problem was they ignored defense for the longest times.  They missed the playoffs multiple times because of it.

14 Ints in 17 playoff games is costly.  I distinctly remember him throwing pivotal interceptions in 3 of his later playoff appearances and while not playing well overall.  

The Saints ignored defense because they were strapped by Drew's gaudy cap hits.

Graham and Colston overlapped prime years in only 3 seasons.

Kamara and Michael Thomas the same.  3 seasons.

For the record, I'm not a Drew Brees fan.  His stats are misleading, which is why he had several 7-9 seasons while in his prime.  

• Disagree 1

10 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

I'd take shanahan I think

Him or Reid

Then Tomlin 

i like shanahan but not for our offense i dont think. too run game oriented. but ill take his screen plays book

9 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

Mike McDaniel just to see if he has the strength to lift the Lombardi on his own.

Am I alone in not being able to hate this dude?

Dont get me wrong I love the Dan Campbells macho grit style...... but McD is a breath of fresh air in a sport where i feel like we've seen enough of that man's man.

McDaniel seems like a cool guy id like playing for, and a young up and coming offensive minded guy. 

Players like Chad Hall, I see some similarites.

All this is moot point if they dont win, but i think theyre going to be succesful under him.... just not more than us

Andy Reid is the best coach in the NFL currently, so I'll go with him. He is the offensive version of Belichick, and offense is increasingly more important.

I'll be honest, I think Belichick is a great coach but the NFL is passing him by, a bit.

3 minutes ago, MJS said:

Andy Reid is the best coach in the NFL currently, so I'll go with him. He is the offensive version of Belichick, and offense is increasingly more important.

I'll be honest, I think Belichick is a great coach but the NFL is passing him by, a bit.

I don't know about that. Put Mahomes on the Pats and Jones on the Chiefs. I think Bill would have a better season then Andy.

• Agree 1

19 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

14 Ints in 17 playoff games is costly.  I distinctly remember him throwing pivotal interceptions in 3 of his later playoff appearances and while not playing well overall.  

For the record, I'm not a Drew Brees fan.  His stats are misleading, which is why he had several 7-9 seasons while in his prime.  

They don’t have to overlap, all those players mentioned were elite weapons.

They went 7-9 3 straight seasons because of their defense.  It was historically bad.

Brady threw 40 INT’s in 48 games.  It’s roughly the same ratio.  
You aren’t going to carve up defenses as much in the playoffs as you would in the regular season simply because of the competition.

• Agree 1

10 minutes ago, Gregg said:

I don't know about that. Put Mahomes on the Pats and Jones on the Chiefs. I think Bill would have a better season then Andy.

There's no way to know that. Have to just go on reality.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, SMAKCruiser said:

You are correct but he has since broken through.   If you asked me in 2004, I would not have picked him 

Did he break through though or did he ride Patrick Mahomes coat tails?  Don't get me wrong, I still think Reid is an excellent coach but until just very recently he was known for his post season failures.  With that said I have yet to answer the question and don't necessarily disagree with him as the choice.

3 minutes ago, Bills fan since 87 said:

Did he break through though or did he ride Patrick Mahomes coat tails?  Don't get me wrong, I still think Reid is an excellent coach but until just very recently he was known for his post season failures.  With that said I have yet to answer the question and don't necessarily disagree with him as the choice.

Maybe but that type of argument could be made with many coaches who have won SBs.  

2 hours ago, Gregg said:

Not if he has a franchise QB. Going from Brady to Jones is like going from a Porsche to a tricycle.

Getting that team in the playoffs a couple years ago with what he was working with was a miracle job.  The Bills would have ended the draught a lot earlier with BB.

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, Chicken Boo said:

When you have Wrex Ryan’s dumbass Bad Santa-wannabe twin as your DC and his philosophy is “blitz until they beat it, then blitz some more” it’s hard to outscore your opponent. 

8 hours ago, MJS said:

His teams talent is passing him by lol

he took the pats to the playoffs with a noodle armed Mac jones and a very handicapped team 

everybody knew what he had to do to win … and they still couldn’t slow him down for 17 weeks

He is the only game planner I would want 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.