Ideas For The Best Jobs in Retirement

Irv

I have a friend who is retired from the Navy and still gets up way too early in the morning. He is a starter at a golf course. We live in Florida so it is a year round job.

There are probably 100s of jobs one could find. Good luck. 

• Like (+1) 1

where are you located and how much do you want to work.

our office uses a few different labs, and they have retired guys that do the drop off and pick up of cases.  they're always friendly and love to talk to the staff.  most guys seem to do it a few days a week and love it.

1 hour ago, Irv said:

Anybody have some legitimate ideas for good jobs in retirement?  

Who works when they are retired? That's the whole point of it... just go have fun doing stuff you like. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, teef said:

our office uses a few different labs, and they have retired guys that do the drop off and pick up of cases.  they're always friendly and love to talk to the staff.  most guys seem to do it a few days a week and love it.

Rochester. 20 hours/wk would be enough

I’m retired and you couldn’t pay me enough to work again. I can understand if you need supplemental income. I feel bad when I see a person my age (62) working an hourly job.

A retired friend works at a golf course on Mondays and Wednesdays mowing the fairways. But instead of cash he took a free club membership.

My brother-in-law who’s a chipper 80 works driving around Buffalo delivering prescription eye glasses to various stores and customers.

• Like (+1) 3

Jobs that retirees I know have:

Street sweeper operator

Very short haul truck driver (back and forth between warehouses)

Grocery store stocker

Grocery store cashier

Lab courier (picking up bloodwork from labs)

Prescription delivery

Equipment rentals clerk (he teaches homeowners how to use the equipment and also not kill themselves)

Range safety officer/firearms instructor

Small engine mechanic

Generally, in my area, there's a niche of jobs that 1) teens used to do 2) people who now work at warehouses used to do 3) simply can't find someone wanting part-time work in that particular job - like the trucking and street sweeper.  Grocery stores in my area will give a retiree all the hours they could possibly want.  

Lock & Dam Operator.  

51 minutes ago, teef said:

Yup...

My 72 year old neighbor does that! Ex-machinist... Now he delivers dental stuff and what not! 

Anyway...

How about a lock & dam operator:

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Pundit on a message board.

I fancy myself as Andy Rooney, in actuality, I am much closer to Mickey. 😕

And the pay is lacking.

I think the pay is about right, all things considered.   😋

Whether it’s supplemental income or just wanting some structure and interaction with people, I understand wanting something to do. I worked for a high end real estate company for a few years. I always looked forward to the Tuesday AM sales meetings and the speakers they would bring in. I enjoyed the interaction and learning about the city. 

I’m not really sure I want someone depending on me and cramping my (lazy) life style, but I was considering taking some college classes right before Covid hit. That may be my path to staying involved in some way without too much commitment. 

I have a friend who was driving for Uber/Lyft for a little extra cash and something to do. He learned about a lot of cool restaurants/bars in town, but I’m not sure he had a firm grip on just how much he was actually earning (or not, after expenses). Still, it’s almost like being a rolling bar tender. My wife will tell you I can chat at a bar like a pro! 

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, PastaJoe said:

I’m retired and you couldn’t pay me enough to work again. I can understand if you need supplemental income. I feel bad when I see a person my age (62) working an hourly job.

I guess I am fortunate. I took the retirement package from one of the companies where I worked but now I am an independent contractor working in the same business because I really enjoy the work. I will continue to work until either I no longer enjoy it or they no longer want to pay me. I still find time to do anything I want but just don’t get paid when I do not work. 

Edited by Mr Info

If you are still working then you aren't retired. People I know who have retired just go boating/fishing, travelling, play golf, hit flea markets, etc. They aren't working anywhere lol. Thread title really makes no sense to me. Maybe Irv just meant cutting down on working hours...

• Agree 1

If you don't need the extra cash and are just looking for something to do, there are 1000s of charities that can use your assistance. Find one that you fits and you'll be rewarded with more than money could provide from working a menial part time job.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

41 minutes ago, T&C said:

If you are still working then you aren't retired. People I know who have retired just go boating/fishing, travelling, play golf, hit flea markets, etc. They aren't working anywhere lol. Thread title really makes no sense to me. Maybe Irv just meant cutting down on working hours...

Myth.

What about "semi-retired?"

Not sure about that!

I get lots of boaters/fishermen crying that they "gotta get through" because they "gotta get to work." 😬

Alot of people do work shifts...

9 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Myth.

What about "semi-retired?"

Not sure about that!

I get lots of boaters/fishermen crying that they "gotta get through" because they "gotta get to work." 😬

Alot of people do work shifts...

He didn't say semi-retired... I'm not working a job but I do stuff to make money on the side, very casual. I'm not retired even with the SS rolling in... just semi-retired. When I'm retired I'll probably be on my death bed.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, T&C said:

Lots of people change careers for lower pressure / lower hours when they "retire".

My mom was an CFO for a manufacturing company when she decided to retire, within a couple years my sister opened a business and my mom works part time bookkeeping for her.  My dad worked for the federal government for 30 years, he retired and still volunteers at least 20-30 hours a week.  They both also babysit my sisters' kids 2-3 days a week, which honestly seems harder than any job I'd want ever again.

I've been building a side business for a few years recording drums for other people's music, and when I am no longer at my current job it's my hope that it can tide me over until I hit true retirement age, but I may end up picking up something else in between as well, especially considering health insurance costs.

Edited by Captain Caveman

I have a friend who is retired and works for this national company that basically assembles furniture for people. Can take however many hours he wants, and it keeps him busy.

I echo what others have said though about working at a golf course. Maybe as a ranger? Playing for free would be a great perk. 

13 hours ago, Captain Caveman said:

I've been building a side business for a few years recording drums for other people's music, and when I am no longer at my current job it's my hope that it can tide me over until I hit true retirement age, but I may end up picking up something else in between as well, especially considering health insurance costs.

Locally a number of seniors work for school food service.  In the days when I went to school the people who worked food service were mostly mothers who wanted something to do when their kids were in school.  This rarely happens now since there are so many other jobs they could get paid more.  Biggest advantages of this job is part time employees can get health insurance (many of the workers are mothers who have other jobs in evenings but work the food service job for benefits) and that if age + years of service = 80 you can get a pension and health benefits continue if you wish (you need to pay employee portion).

Just to clarify.  I'm 58 and have a high paying high-pressure job.  Looking to the future to do something after I'm done with this job, to make a few bucks, and keep busy.  

3 hours ago, Irv said:

Just to clarify.  I'm 58 and have a high paying high-pressure job.  Looking to the future to do something after I'm done with this job, to make a few bucks, and keep busy.  

When I read something like the bold I have to wonder how that is defined. That could mean a lot of different things to different people. It’s all very relative. 

As for something in retirement, try for something you really enjoy. I’ve enjoyed tennis for most of my adult life. I wouldn’t mind working part time at a club or in a pro shop dealing with like minded people. You have something in common built in. That fits in with the golf comments earlier. Figure out what you like, and then find a way to put it into action. 

Edited by Augie
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, Irv said:

I semi-retired a few months shy of my 55th birthday and became a freelance technical writer. I wouldn't want to earn a living at it, but it's a nice way to supplement the pension. How lucrative/feasible that could be for you would depend on your subject-matter expertise.

On 6/7/2023 at 12:17 PM, T&C said:

Well, there's retiring and then there's retiring.  Many people fully retire from their jobs/careers but continue to keep themselves active doing something they like that includes some sort of compensation.  Military, police, other public service professions, can often retire after 20-30 years with full pensions/benefits, but 45-55 may be a little early to spend the rest of your life on on a golf course.  My dad closed down his office and "retired" in his 70s but still keeps a couple irons in the fire just to stay active.

• Agree 1

On 6/8/2023 at 12:54 AM, Irv said:

If your job was high paying and you're 58 and not 50 or 48 or 45, why do you need to make a few bucks?

People who feel they need to make money in retirement confuse the hell outta me. 

If you want to keep busy, get a hobby or find volunteer work. 

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

If your job was high paying and you're 58 and not 50 or 48 or 45, why do you need to make a few bucks?

People who feel they need to make money in retirement confuse the hell outta me. 

If you want to keep busy, get a hobby or find volunteer work. 

I'm an enigma

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.