Peter King/FMIA/PFT 1st Round Mock Draft

Sierra Foothills

8 minutes ago, whorlnut said:

There is no way of saying for sure the pick at 27 would be a second round graded player. We have no idea who the bills have graded in the first. Each team has a different board. There could conceivably be more than one player at 27 that the bills have a first on. There could also be zero. It’s just not a fact to say that pick 27 is a second round graded player. 

There is no way of saying for sure the pick at 27 would be a second round graded player. We have no idea who the bills have graded in the first. Each team has a different board. There could conceivably be more than one player at 27 that the bills have a first on. There could also be zero. It’s just not a fact to say that pick 27 is a second round graded player. 

There’s never 27 1st round grades but magically whoever the Bills draft will be a 1st rounder on their board I’m sure. Wink wink.

AJ Epenesa was a 1st round grade Beane said. I don’t believe him, but that’s what he said.

12 minutes ago, NeverOutNick said:

I feel like Downs could be a guy we target but he’s strictly a slot. Albeit a very good slot who may have the best hands in the WR class. I just feel like if that’s where we go we can probably trade back a little and get him in the second for some added value 

I’ve been wondering about slot WR value. That’s what the Bills want and need. But value wise those guys are typically mid round picks. Times are changing though with most teams running 11 personnel.

This draft the top 3 WRs are slot guys.

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede

2 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

There’s never 27 1st round grades but magically whoever the Bills draft will be a 1st rounder on their board I’m sure. Wink wink.

AJ Epenesa was a 1st round grade Beane said. I don’t believe him, but that’s what he said.

There are at best around 16 first round grades in this draft. Highly unlikely any of them fall to 27, but possible. Maybe one falls into the low 20s and Beane trades up if he covets the player.

36 minutes ago, zow2 said:

There was a time I thought the Bills were going to draft Bijan Robinson.  That ship has sailed. With every passing week he moves higher and higher.  Peter K has him in the top-10.  

Regardless of how good he is or where he lands, that move would make less than zero sense for the Bills with the QB they have, the offense they run with and the RB personnel they already have in place (Cook is perfect for this offense, and Harris can get needed yards). It would be amongst the worst drafting strategies in Bills history, and there have been some bad ones especially the ones outside of Beane and Polian. 

I'm not really buying into the Gabe injury excuse. He was plenty heathly for most of the season: especially down the stretch. He simply didn't produce as well as many fans expected. 

Davis arguably has one of the best QBs throwing him the ball. One of the best QBs extending plays. Ask yourself how much better does Allen make Davis? What kind of WR would he be with an average QB? I'd argue Allen makes Davis look better than he is. 

One stat that really rears its ugly head is Gabe's catch rate and drops. His catch ratio was 51% and his drop rate was 10%  You just can't spin that into goodness. At best, he's a mediocre number two with an elite QB padding his stats. Imho, he's as replaceable as it gets.

No way is he worth a 15 million plus contract. Imho, the prudent strategic move would be to trade him, let him walk, sign Dhop, or draft a promising WR saving millions on a rookie contract. 

16 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Yeah don't love a slot guy there. Nice explosion and speed, but it's the definition of meh. 

For me, my "no's" in the first round are typically:  

RTs

IOL - Zack Martin/Quentin Nelson level players are the exception

Non elite slot WRs without standout traits

blocking TEs

Run defensing edge guys who don't get sacks

Nose tackles

RBs other than Saquon/Bijan level guys

small/short QBs

To me Downs is a non elite smaller slot with meh traits. If he's running in the 4.3s it's a different story at that size. 

Downs does have elite hands. He catches everything. Caught 94 passes on 116 targets last year. 

In our offense that's near the top of the league in drops, there's something to be said for that. 

I do prefer an inside/ outside threat though if we're looking for a new #2 receiver. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I’ve been wondering about slot WR value. That’s what the Bills want and need. But value wise those guys are typically mid round picks. Times are changing though with most teams running 11 personnel.

Just because the Bills have a first round grade does not mean others do, nor that they are right.  Obviously, people didn’t have the grade on JA17 that the Bills did, they were right.  Looks like the rest of the league was right on AJE.

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

He’s everything they want in a player. Consistency issues sure, but Knox had them as well. Knox is everything they want in a player. We’ll see a similar contract.

Despite the glowing rhetoric about how they love Gabe Davis' work ethic, I think this is a prove it year for him. I believe he is pretty much the player you see now which imo is a low end WR2. He might see that second contract, but I would not confidently assert it.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

He’s everything they want in a player. Consistency issues sure, but Knox had them as well. Knox is everything they want in a player. We’ll see a similar contract.

Yeah, I’m gonna go ahead and disagree.  He’s the type of guy you are happy to have on a rookie deal.  Paying a guy who’s often injured (though playing), and wildly inconsistent, is not a guy you want to pay 10-12M a year.

51 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

Downs is probably somewhere around the 35th - 40th best player. Roughly. Haven't crept into the Bills draft room, so I don't know how they see him, but that seems to be the general consensus.

They might not have the chance to trade back. But IMO if they can't trade back, Downs won't be who they go with. 

Guess we'll see. Again, I like Downs a lot. Just not at #27.

Daniel Jeremiah's top 150 posted today. He has Downs at 60th: https://www.nfl.com/news/daniel-jeremiah-s-top-150-prospects-in-the-2023-nfl-draft-class.

• Thank you (+1) 2

29 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

This draft the top 3 WRs are slot guys.

You don’t get it. If the bills have 15 first round grades and other teams take players that they have graded later, then first round graded players fall. It’s very conceivable that there will be a player or players that might be there that are graded as firsts. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Daniel Jeremiah's top 150 posted today. He has Downs at 60th: https://www.nfl.com/news/daniel-jeremiah-s-top-150-prospects-in-the-2023-nfl-draft-class.

I'd consider him at 59 if we did not take a WR in the first. I like him, but I am not in agreement with the folks that think slot is the priority at receiver.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

14 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Exactly. Way too low to go at 27. It would be a ridiculous reach. And I trust DJ way more than Peter King. King’s throwing darts. He’s terrible at these mocks.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BarleyNY said:

I think there’s zero chance of the Bills tagging Davis. The projected WR franchise tag in 2024 is $24M. Transition is $21.3M. That would be insane. His market value would probably be around 4/$50M. You could sign him to that contract, guarantee the first two seasons and get him for two years for the price of the FT. And the cap hits would be structured much better.

Also what team would be stupid enough to trade for Davis on a 1 year $24M contract? Insanity. 

agreed. The only way that is remote possibility is if Gabe Davis has a massive season. Like the season many of us were thinking he was capable of going into this past season. But if he does that, then the bills will probably just sign him long-term and keep him.

• Agree 1

46 minutes ago, 34-78-83 said:

Regardless of how good he is or where he lands, that move would make less than zero sense for the Bills with the QB they have, the offense they run with and the RB personnel they already have in place (Cook is perfect for this offense, and Harris can get needed yards). It would be amongst the worst drafting strategies in Bills history, and there have been some bad ones especially the ones outside of Beane and Polian. 

I don't see RB as an overwhelming need.  I like our RB room well enough.   Harris can run powerfully inside but get outside too.  Cook is a quick outside guy who can catch.  And Hines was woefully underutilized as a pass-catcher last year.  In space, he's dynamic.  

But to say drafting Bijan makes "zero sense," I think, is an exaggeration.  The Bills want a better running game - he gives us that.  But the Bills are a passing team - Bijan can line up as a receiver and perform well there.  When the Bills huddled up with Bijan, defenses wouldn't know if he'd be lining up as an RB or WR.  Bijan's versatility would be useful in the Bills offense.  

King has Bijan going in the top ten.  Maybe.   But if he falls to 27, I have to admit that I'd be tempted if I was the GM.  It would depend on who else is available - maybe another player I like as much but fills a bigger need.  

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, Sierra Foothills said:

Released this morning on the polarizing NFL blog, ProFootballTalk.

King's first round consists of:

• 5 QBs
  • 1 Trade with Tenessee moving up to #3 (Arizona trades down to #11) to take Ohio State QB CJ Stroud
  • 5 Edge players
  • 1 DT (Jalen Carter of course)
  • 4 CBs
  • 2 RBs (Bijan Robinson is taken before the Bills pick)
  • 4 OTs (including Skoronski, all taken before the Bills pick)
  • 3 TEs
  • 1 Safety
  • 4 WRs (JSN is the first taken by PIT at #17)
  • 1 Guard (O'Cyrus Torrence to KC at #31)
  • The Bills taking Josh Downs WR North Carolina at #27 (after JSN, Zay Flowers, and Jordan Addison and with Jalin Hyatt and Quentin Johnston still available)

It's not behind a paywall:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/04/24/fmia-peter-king-mock-draft-bryce-young-panthers/

so read 'em and weep!

Not a fan of Downs at #27...Not even a little bit.

• Thank you (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

agreed. The only way that is remote possibility is if Gabe Davis has a massive season. Like the season many of us were thinking he was capable of going into this past season. But if he does that, then the bills will probably just sign him long-term and keep him.

I agree. It’d be nice if he blew up, but I think we know who he is now. The question will be how the Bills value him versus what he can get in FA next year. With all the other places we are spending I think they wind up letting him walk, but you never know. Put your offer out there and let the player look around. They usually leave (Edmunds) but sometimes they come back (Poyer). 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, ganesh said:

It is very possible the Bills will Franchise Tag Gabe and then could find a trading partner...like they did with Peerless Price several years ago. 

No chance. If no trade partner is found, the Bills are stuck paying the tag amount.

• Agree 1

49 minutes ago, JoPoy88 said:

Exactly. Way too low to go at 27. It would be a ridiculous reach. And I trust DJ way more than Peter King. King’s throwing darts. He’s terrible at these mocks.

It’s not so bad if you look at other rankings.  Dane Brugler, who I prefer over anyone in the business, has him 41st overall.  Ahead of several players that are often being mocked in rd 1:  Tippman 43, Uzomah, 44, McDonald 46, Jack Campbell 52, John Michael-Schmitz 59, Dawand Jones 62, Cam Smith 66.  

Considering the talent in this draft class, taking downs @ 27 would be a reach….but  nowhere near a ridiculous reach.  I think he’s the 2nd best slot WR in the class (behind a WR that will likely go to 20).  He doesn’t have any question marks about his ability.  The only question mark about where he’ll be drafted is the value of the position he plays, Slot only.  Many don’t view slot only WRs as worthy of 1st rd picks, for good reason.  You can usually find solid slot for 2-7M a year.  He’s going to be a very good player as long as he isn’t drafted to a terrible situation imo.  The kid can get open and catch the ball on the reg.  He’s pretty filthy. 

that said-  I don’t think we’d get value in drafting him @ 27-  trading down and drafting him is optimal (if he is in fact their target).  But how far can we go down and still get him.  Tough question to answer but I could see him going in the first few picks of rd 2.

• Agree 1

42 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

I don't see RB as an overwhelming need.  I like our RB room well enough.   Harris can run powerfully inside but get outside too.  Cook is a quick outside guy who can catch.  And Hines was woefully underutilized as a pass-catcher last year.  In space, he's dynamic.  

But to say drafting Bijan makes "zero sense," I think, is an exaggeration.  The Bills want a better running game - he gives us that.  But the Bills are a passing team - Bijan can line up as a receiver and perform well there.  When the Bills huddled up with Bijan, defenses wouldn't know if he'd be lining up as an RB or WR.  Bijan's versatility would be useful in the Bills offense.  

King has Bijan going in the top ten.  Maybe.   But if he falls to 27, I have to admit that I'd be tempted if I was the GM.  It would depend on who else is available - maybe another player I like as much but fills a bigger need.  

Reasonable reply even though I still wouldn't touch it. If that were the case though, they better then trade away Cook for some value for it to make any sense at all.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Shanahan's Horseshoe said:

I like Downs better than Zay and Addison.  Runs routes like Stevie Johnson and has excellent hands.  BSF than Beasley too

Lets break that down and see.

Josh Downs NC 5'9 171 LBS  Speed 4.48

Receiving grade 86.5

Drop Rate 3.1%

Grade vs man 92.1

Ranked 8th in slot catches

Ranked 12th in Slot Yards

Contested catches 13 27th   **** 5' freaking 9 inches and he is ranked 27th in contested catches? I had to go double check this number to believe it. wow. 

Zay Flowers BC 5'9 182 LBS Speed 4.42

Receiving grade 76.1

Drop Rate 10.3% ***Yikes

Grade vs man 59.4 

Ranked 184th in slot catches **** despite size this shows he likes to play outside. 

Ranked 7 184th in Slot Yards ****Shows he is not a slot guy

Contested catches 149th *** bad number for a dude that plays outside a lot. 

This just does not make sense to me how Flowers is ranked so high other than the hard numbers on yards received.

Jordan Addison 5'11 173 LBS Speed 4.49  *** Did not put slot numbers cause its clear he is an outside WR and not slot

Receiving grade 82.4

Drop Rate 3.3

Grade vs man 76.2

Contested catches 443rd  **** I mean jesus... 443'rd for an outside WR this is really bad

I wanted to do this to be blinded by the stats and pay attention to the grades.  Flowers and Addison have to many red flags for me... so I 1000% agree with your statement. I think in many other Drafts Flowers and Addison would be round late round 2 guys and not late round 1.  Doing this footwork has actually changed my mind on Flowers. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Motorin' said:

Downs does have elite hands. He catches everything. Caught 94 passes on 116 targets last year. 

In our offense that's near the top of the league in drops, there's something to be said for that. 

I do prefer an inside/ outside threat though if we're looking for a new #2 receiver. 

The same was said about Zay Jones.. who also was from a Carolina school.. not the same, but yeah.  Elite anything is nothing until it’s in the NFL and shows that it’s a great asset along with all the other intangibles being at very least, REALLY good.  Not saying he won’t be good or anything if that nature, but 1 skill does not define an NFL player.

25 minutes ago, PrimeTime101 said:

Lets break that down and see.

Josh Downs NC 5'9 171 LBS  Speed 4.48

Receiving grade 86.5

Drop Rate 3.1%

Grade vs man 92.1

Ranked 8th in slot catches

Ranked 12th in Slot Yards

Contested catches 13 27th   **** 5' freaking 9 inches and he is ranked 27th in contested catches? I had to go double check this number to believe it. wow. 

Zay Flowers BC 5'9 182 LBS Speed 4.42

Receiving grade 76.1

Drop Rate 10.3% ***Yikes

Grade vs man 59.4 

Ranked 184th in slot catches **** despite size this shows he likes to play outside. 

Ranked 7 184th in Slot Yards ****Shows he is not a slot guy

Contested catches 149th *** bad number for a dude that plays outside a lot. 

This just does not make sense to me how Flowers is ranked so high other than the hard numbers on yards received.

Jordan Addison 5'11 173 LBS Speed 4.49  *** Did not put slot numbers cause its clear he is an outside WR and not slot

Receiving grade 82.4

Drop Rate 3.3

Grade vs man 76.2

Contested catches 443rd  **** I mean jesus... 443'rd for an outside WR this is really bad

I wanted to do this to be blinded by the stats and pay attention to the grades.  Flowers and Addison have to many red flags for me... so I 1000% agree with your statement. I think in many other Drafts Flowers and Addison would be round late round 2 guys and not late round 1.  Doing this footwork has actually changed my mind on Flowers. 

Nice breakdown.  I watch a ton of ACC (sad I know) and I honestly didn’t know how short Downs was because he plays way bigger than his size. He’s a gamerand plays with fire. 
The only thing I’d say about him compared to Zay is that Downs has played with 2 very good QBs and a solid running game in a wide open offense.
Zay not so much. But give me Downs over anyone not names JSN at WR.

1 hour ago, hondo in seattle said:

If Bijan falls to 27, I’d probably take him.  The whole idea behind BPA is building a team full of talent at ALL positions.  Let’s ask this, would the team be better off with an Adrian Peterson type running the ball or the 5th rated OT in a weak class?  I think it’s obvious most would say, give me the HOF player at a position I don’t “need”, vs a borderline starter.  That’s why BPA is the way you build a team.  Not taking a guy because you have a pretty good one ( or in this case, you have no idea what you have), is the path to failure.    Not that it’s a perfect case, but what if the Cardinals passed on Mighty Mouse because they had Right Josh.  They would have set the team back years.   I’m not going to argue for Murray, I think he’s super overrated, but the point remains.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

The same was said about Zay Jones.. who also was from a Carolina school.. not the same, but yeah.  Elite anything is nothing until it’s in the NFL and shows that it’s a great asset along with all the other intangibles being at very least, REALLY good.  Not saying he won’t be good or anything if that nature, but 1 skill does not define an NFL player.

take a look at my pff breakdown above. Red Flags Tell me he does NOT have elite hands.

Drop Rate is a big one...

Grade vs man is the other.

A WR with good hands for me

A. has to be great at catching the rock

B. Be good and physical at breaking away from defenders, the first 5 yards. Low rating Vs man, Drop Rate, and having a fantastic QB to boot tells me his hands are not as good as scouts say they are. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, whorlnut said:

You may want to edit this reply... on the other hand that may be a bad idea.

😁

• Dislike 1

3 hours ago, whorlnut said:

All of these guys seem to forget the Bills have Shakir that last draft every one was saying how big of a steel this guy was & his position was slot receiver then with the pick up of Harte how many more slot guys do we need shoot they let Hodgins get away & that's where he made his hay in college .

Given all of the acquisitions on offense this off season & the losses on defense i hope they grab one of the stud LBers for our first pick I'm going on record with Sanders as my first rounder for this year .

3 hours ago, whorlnut said:

You don’t get it. If the bills have 15 first round grades and other teams take players that they have graded later, then first round graded players fall. It’s very conceivable that there will be a player or players that might be there that are graded as firsts. 

It’s possible but not likely.

Straight from the horses mouth:

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, T master said:

All of these guys seem to forget the Bills have Shakir that last draft every one was saying how big of a steel this guy was & his position was slot receiver then with the pick up of Harte how many more slot guys do we need shoot they let Hodgins get away & that's where he made his hay in college .

Given all of the acquisitions on offense this off season & the losses on defense i hope they grab one of the stud LBers for our first pick I'm going on record with Sanders as my first rounder for this year .

Shakir, while I like him...is not a guarantee to take a step forward.
I love the Harty signing, but his injury history is a caution flag.
Sherfield could really compete for WR3...

for me, I want the top 4 to look like this...

Diggs

______   Hopkins / Other Accomplished NFL WR via trade 

Davis
______  Rookie  (JSN/Addison/Flowers/Hyatt/Mingo) 

This would create a ton of competition and put us on the high end of offensive weaponry 

It's on the outer realms of reality....but certainly would get Bills Mafia very excited for the season 

Edited by Warriorspikes51

2 hours ago, chongli said:

No chance. If no trade partner is found, the Bills are stuck paying the tag amount.

I believe the poster is saying if Gabe Davis has a monster season they could tag and trade him if they couldn't get a deal done prior to FA.  If he has no improvements he might not even have a big market in FA.  

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

It’s possible but not likely.

Straight from the horses mouth:

While the Bills haven't had any 1st round busts in the McBeane regime........the only one of them to play to their reputation and have a big impact as a rookie was Tre White.   So I think we are accustomed to modest rookie season expectations by now.   Aaron Quinn likes to hear himself talk though so it's just a wind-bag being a wind-bag.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.