Jeffrey Simmons extended with Titans - 4 years, $94 Million

Draconator

1 minute ago, Beast said:

What do you do?

6 teams before us didn’t take Josh Allen.

That in and of itself is enough to stop with the 20/20 vision into the past, but if you look at WHO was taken before josh allen it becomes particularly lol worthy

I say that with total self deprecation because i was a wrong josh guy and thought borker mayfield was going to be great

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, JohnNord said:

Simmons, Quentin Williams, Christian Wilkins.  These players are true game wreckers at DT.

Ed Oliver is not. Period. 

No he is not..

But looking at this deal …they wouldn’t be able to afford to pay Oliver if he was at this level…

• Agree 1

20 minutes ago, dorquemada said:

That in and of itself is enough to stop with the 20/20 vision into the past, but if you look at WHO was taken before josh allen it becomes particularly lol worthy

I say that with total self deprecation because i was a wrong josh guy and thought borker mayfield was going to be great

It wasn’t all hindsight… Not everyone believed Oliver was the better DT prospect.  

Simmons was always touted as a top prospect at DT in 2018.  The knock on him was character related because a video re-surfaced of him hitting a woman a few years earlier.  He likely would have been drafted higher.  

As far as Oliver - the reception was very much mixed how he would transition to the NFL.  Some were enthralled with the quickness of his first step and his athleticism whereas others were more concerned about his size.  I think the comparisons in his game to Aaron Donald helped raise his stock in the eyes of some.  Not to say he was going to be the next Donald, but that he had that kind of potential.  

Oliver’s career over his first four season is probably dead set in the middle of his ceiling/floor trajectory coming out of the draft.   He had flashed at times but overall isn’t nearly the difference maker the other 2018 first round rookie tackles have been 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

It wasn’t all hindsight… Not everyone believed Oliver was the better DT prospect.  

Simmons was always touted as a top prospect at DT in 2018.  The knock on him was character related because a video re-surfaced of him hitting a woman a few years earlier.  He likely would have been drafted higher.  

As far as Oliver - the reception was very much mixed how he would transition to the NFL.  Some were enthralled with the quickness of his first step and his athleticism whereas others were more concerned about his size.  I think the comparisons in his game to Aaron Donald helped raise his stock in the eyes of some.  Not to say he was going to be the next Donald, but that he had that kind of potential.  

Oliver’s career over his first four season is probably dead set in the middle of his ceiling/floor trajectory coming out of the draft.   He had flashed at times but overall isn’t nearly the difference maker the other 2018 first round rookie tackles have been 

Simmons also had a major injury before the draft-many thought it was a reach he was taken as high as he was. If he hadn’t gotten injured he would’ve been taken a lot higher 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

31 minutes ago, Orlando Tim said:

I knew Simmons was good but I never saw 23 million a year good from him. I admit only seeing him maybe a dozen games over years but this is just below Aaron Donald type good

“Just below Aaron Donald type good” was where many had projected Ed Oliver 😟

• Haha (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Ya Digg? said:

Simmons also had a major injury before the draft-many thought it was a reach he was taken as high as he was. If he hadn’t gotten injured he would’ve been taken a lot higher 

Good point… all goes back to the fact that Simmons turning out to be a better pro than Oliver isn’t exactly complete hindsight 

55 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

No he is not..

But looking at this deal …they wouldn’t be able to afford to pay Oliver if he was at this level…

If we had Jeffrey Simmons, you find a way.  

KC broke the mold by trading away an elite WR in his prime, but they also have Kelce.  

Who knows how things play out if Ed lived up to the hype…

Do we spend so much draft capital at EDGE?   Do we sign Von?  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, SCBills said:

KC broke the mold by trading away an elite WR in his prime, but they also have Kelce.  

Yeah I agree… you don’t do the Von deal if you are going to pay an elite DT the next year ..

Only positive I can take out of this is that Oliver sees what money these guys are making and really pins his ears back this year to get a new deal.. won’t be from us though 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, aristocrat said:

And we took Ed Oliver 

I wanted Simmons bad in the draft, the only reason he wasn't a top 10 pick, and probably top 5, where the character concerns from when he hit a woman while defending his sister from an attacker in high school.  I never had any long term concerns about him after hearing the details, hearing him speak about it and what he learned from that.  All his coaches and teammates glowed about him too.  

I kept saying Simmons was going to be the best DT in the draft, and so many here kept going on and on about how he was untouchable because of the high school incident.

I wish we would have taken him. 

1 hour ago, JohnNord said:

Simmons, Quentin Williams, Christian Wilkins.  These players are true game wreckers at DT.

I agree those players have been better… true game wreckers ? There’s only been a couple of those in history at DT.

The Bills have handled business against those guys, they can be game planned for and have little effect on the game’s outcome.

I’m not paying a DT 23 mill per no matter who it is… just My opinion of course.

1 hour ago, JohnNord said:

And Dexter Lawrence is right there with the best of them.  

8 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I wanted Simmons bad in the draft, the only reason he wasn't a top 10 pick, and probably top 5, where the character concerns from when he hit a woman while defending his sister from an attacker in high school.  I never had any long term concerns about him after hearing the details, hearing him speak about it and what he learned from that.  All his coaches and teammates glowed about him too.  

I kept saying Simmons was going to be the best DT in the draft, and so many here kept going on and on about how he was untouchable because of the high school incident.

I wish we would have taken him. 

His character concerns were the main reason, but he also tore his Achilles in February prior to the draft.  I think the injury also had an affect on teams passing on him. 

I thought he was elite level but the video was too much to overlook with the 9th pick

The contract value for DT's is going up substantially. Oliver won't command Simmons-type money, but will still probably get someone to overpay for his services. Just let that someone not be the Bills.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, aristocrat said:

I'm gonna hijack this thread and say we should go with Mazi Smith 

I’ve been (low key) thinking the same…there’s a lot we could do with him, especially when Von returns…

I just really don’t want Beane to reach because of need…this team desperately needs a new influx of young talent, and I am open to just about any position as long as it is top talent…👍

8 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

All things being equal, I would’ve liked to of seen oliver traded this year

He is as good as gone next year

I’m telling you there is a very real possibility that we take a defensive tackle in the first round

Im all about Offense, and still would rather see Offense if this is the pick, BUT I would understand taking DL.  

LB in RD1 would be really tough to stomach, but someone like Mazi Smith I could get on board with.  

For me. RD1 should be Offense or DL.  

Anything else just doesn’t make sense or is a reach due to need. 

Edited by SCBills

3 hours ago, SCBills said:

Probably not but I think that’s more of a result of the DE’s not really developing more so than Oliver.  

It reminds me of the phrase “you don’t throw good money after bad.” 

That’s what the Bills have done in the draft since 2019 consider how much premium draft capitol they’ve spent on DE.  

I have always said that there was a huge opportunity cost with missing on these draft picks.  In the case of the Bills, they were forced to sign Miller to a huge deal 

4 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

No he is not..

I don’t see Oliver in any scenario getting extended.  I sometimes wonder if we could trade him this summer, but doubt it as he only has one year left on his rookie deal.

4 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

No he is not..

If Oliver was at that level they would t have needed to sign Miller and it’s pretty likely there would already be a ring on his finger from 2021.

• Like (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

If Oliver was at that level they would t have needed to sign Miller and it’s pretty likely there would already be a ring on his finger from 2021.

Yes… I acknowledged that later in the thread that they wouldn’t have signed Miller if that was the case …Same thought occurred to me a few minutes after I posted originally ..

The ring from 2021 ? Yeah maybe …

• Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.