NFL draft rumors 2023

HappyDays

On 4/11/2023 at 7:44 AM, OldTimer1960 said:

I don’t think Avila will be there at pick 59.

All the WRs are compromises.  I could see Flowers or Downs helping in the slot, love they’re quick, but so small.  I would understand if they took Hyatt, but he is slightly built and is he a one-trick pony?  JSN will be a very good slot receiver- if he stays healthy and I would not touch Quentin Johnston- his hands and not-so-great contested catch ability are a big red flag for me.

None of the above are what people think of as great value for round 1 in most years.

I can’t find any player who’s likely to be available at pick 27 that they “gotta have”.

Agree with most of this, but I’d draft Johnston if he’s there based on traits.  Usually not a good enough reason to do so, but this draft blows and trading down may be tough.  

I’d be happy with any of the top 4 WRs @ 27.   I might even be ok with Hyatt and Downs.  If drafting Downs @ 27 means we don’t draft a DT, LB or CB, then I’m good with it.  

The more I watch of Hyatt- the more I dislike him.  But the speed trait would help me come around to it.  

The more I watch Downs, the more I love him.  The only thing I don’t love is his size. If we got 8 years of a Cole Beasley 2020 play and trust (with Josh) I’d be happy with the pick.  Could happen. He’s tough to cover.

The more I watch Kincaid, the more I want him.  I think he’d be my first choice over every pass catcher

• Like (+1) 4

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

Agree with most of this, but I’d draft Johnston if he’s there based on traits.  Usually not a good enough reason to do so, but this draft blows and trading down may be tough.  

I’d be happy with any of the top 4 WRs @ 27.   I might even be ok with Hyatt and Downs.  If drafting Downs @ 27 means we don’t draft a DT, LB or CB, then I’m good with it.  

The more I watch of Hyatt- the more I dislike him.  But the speed trait would help me come around to it.  

The more I watch Downs, the more I love him.  The only thing I don’t love is his size. If we got 8 years of a Cole Beasley 2020 play and trust (with Josh) I’d be happy with the pick.  Could happen. He’s tough to cover.

The more I watch Kincaid, the more I want him.  I think he’d be my first choice over every pass catcher

I like Downs very much and I think that he would provide a nice target in the short to intermediate area - sort of a bit faster Cole Beasley.

If that comparison is accurate, it would certainly help the offense, but can you not find reliable slot receivers in other ways and use the pick to help an area that isn’t as easy to address?

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

I agree with all of this. Anything but defense for me. Show Allen good faith by getting him someone in the first. There are other rounds to “address defense”. The fact that we have to keep having this discussion every year with how much they prioritize defense is awful as it is. 

I also really like Zay flowers and Addison. Both would be good gets for our franchise qb. 

• Agree 1

Just now, OldTimer1960 said:

I like Downs very much and I think that he would provide a nice target in the short to intermediate area - sort of a bit faster Cole Beasley.

If that comparison is accurate, it would certainly help the offense, but can you not find reliable slot receivers in other ways and use the pick to help an area that isn’t as easy to address?

Sure you can.  You can sign Jamison Crowder and Isiah Mckenzie. 😉 

1 minute ago, OldTimer1960 said:

Not all receivers with the same traits are created equal. In this case, downs is a slot master who has excellent hands, elite speed, and runs precise routes. Why not get the whole package instead of waiting later?

1 minute ago, NewEra said:

Sure you can.  You can sign Jamison Crowder and Isiah Mckenzie. 😉 

This. 100% this. The fact that people say to wait and get a guy like that later is how you keep putting yourself in this situation every offseason. Time to bite the bullet and get an elite guy and have it fixed for 4-5 years. 

19 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

What is your point?

Reid can get by with anyone. He has Mahomes, the best oline, and the best TE in the game. What does Dorsey have?  McD has to have the very best every year. Reid trusts his abilities with less so the other side can get stocked up to give it the best chance. 

7 hours ago, whorlnut said:

What is your point?

Reid can get by with anyone. He has Mahomes, the best oline, and the best TE in the game. What does Dorsey have?  McD has to have the very best every year. Reid trusts his abilities with less so the other side can get stocked up to give it the best chance. 

Reid doesn’t get by “with anyone.” We watched their patchwork OL get annihilated in the Super Bowl two years ago.

They get good players. We get less good players. They draft good OL players. We draft Spencer Brown and Cody Ford. They sign Juju, we sign Jamison Crowder. 

• Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, whorlnut said:

Yeah I honeslty have lost some faith in our FO. We will clearly see if the light has come on for the FO at the end of this offseason, or its another summer/training camp of us manufacturing enough positives to get us to the start of the season with hope.

We have too many holes over drafted on the Dline, ignored OL accept for cheap FA acquisitiions and projects which IMO is the reason for Allen taking too many sacks and our running game never displaying dependable consistency
We clearly lack a bonafide #2 receiving threat and that needs to be addressed. That can be a TE or WR but we need another player who can come close to catching 80 passes ++ to go along with Diggs' 100 +

We should not have half of those issues at this point, there is always gonna be a need but we have too many. Now we have to play cap gymnastics and our draft record has been iffy which is why we have so many holes.

• Agree 1

12 hours ago, FireChans said:

Reid doesn’t get by “with anyone.” We watched their patchwork OL get annihilated in the Super Bowl two years ago.

They get good players. We get less good players. They draft good OL players. We draft Spencer Brown and Cody Ford. They sign Juju, we sign Jamison Crowder. 

Yup. I’ll add that it is worth noting what KC had on offense when Mahomes was drafted. The OL included Eric Fisher, Mitch Morse, Laurent Duvernay-Tardif and Mitchell Schwartz. Offensive skill position players included Tyreek Hill and Travis Kelce. Since Mahomes was drafted the Chefs have had 18 picks in the first three rounds. 12 defensive and 6 offensive players were taken. Some thoughts on this:

- The defense had some studs, but was more in need of upgrades at the time.

- QB, WR1, LT, C, RT and a stud TE were all under contract. Other than WR2/3 there were not a lot of glaring needs that would require high picks.

- Why neglect to u clyde what KC spent to get Mahomes, who obviously is an offensive player? Two firsts and a third. That would make it 12 D to 9 O. Still slanted toward D, but not by as much. 

On 4/11/2023 at 2:16 PM, section122 said:

Here is my draft thought that I have been thinking about recently and figure this thread is as good as any to put it.

How would people feel about DeAndre Hopkins and pick 34 for pick 27 with Arizona eating most of the salary.  This would be about the value of a 3rd round pick and get that 5th year option for Arizona.  It would then allow the Bills to solve the WR position and still be in a spot to fill the LB or OT need.

I'd feel like Arizona owner would have to piss test his GM for being high on crack at work lol

So Arz moves up 7 spots, loses Hopkins and eats most of his salary? How would you have to think about this at all as buffalo. You say yes and do whatever u can to get the deal signed off before the crack wears off

12 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

The heavy rumour the last 48 hours is the Titans trying to trade up with the Cardinals to get to #3 for Richardson. 

I think it would be a smart move by Arizona. You could probably still get Carter or the top o-lineman

Edit: for some reason I thought the Titans were picking 7th. Carter wont be there

Edited by BillsFan2313
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

4 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

Giving up on Malik Willis already? Glad to see some teams are willing to admit to their mistakes 😎

Or doubling down on it? I mean Richardson is basically Malik on speed. Bigger and stronger but with very similar questions. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

On 4/12/2023 at 2:19 PM, NewEra said:

I'm thinking about the same. I've even warmed up to Mayer and possibly even Washington in the mix.

• Agree 1

41 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

Giving up on Malik Willis already? Glad to see some teams are willing to admit to their mistakes 😎

New Oiltans GM this season - Ran Carthon. He might as well take a swing right out of the gate. If it doesn’t work, then he might still have time to take a second one. 

Per the same source that told me Poyer's exact contract details before they were announced, and that Shaq Lawson would be signed for the vet minimum before that was announced, the Bills apparently really want Jordan Addison.

McDermott is good friends with the Pitt head coach Pat Narduzzi. That's where Addison played before transferring to USC. We know McDermott leans on his friends in college coaching to make draft decisions (notably Dave Aranda). Connecting the dots there it would make sense.

Two other non-draft rumors from the same source - the Bills have been in contact with Yannick Ngakoue and Rashaan Evans. My guess is that if they sign either of these players it would happen after the draft.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 10

4 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Per the same source that told me Poyer's exact contract details before they were announced, and that Shaq Lawson would be signed for the vet minimum before that was announced, the Bills apparently really want Jordan Addison.

McDermott is good friends with the Pitt head coach Pat Narduzzi. That's where Addison played before transferring to USC. We know McDermott leans on his friends in college coaching to make draft decisions (notably Dave Aranda). Connecting the dots there it would make sense.

Two other non-draft rumors from the same source - the Bills have been in contact with Yannick Ngakoue and Rashaan Evans. My guess is that if they sign either of these players it would happen after the draft.

Are you ErieCountyBulls? Haha

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, LEBills said:

Are you ErieCountyBulls? Haha

Ha that is funny. My source I know for a fact has connections on the team. Actually the fact that ECB reported those rumors on Twitter gives me more confidence that he has a credible source. My source has said that if the Hopkins rumors are true, the process hasn't gotten far along that he would have heard about it from anyone he knows in the building.

6 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Ngakoue is a nice way to buy some cheap sacks. Evans is a weird fit but could enter a job share with Taylor Rapp as the linebacker next to Milano depending on the situation. Not the worst idea considering this point in the off season. 

The Addison thing I believe too. Route running seems to be important to them. They have also gone to the Pitt well quite a bit with Peterman, Dane Jackson, and Damar Hamlin. So I can buy those things. 

• Like (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Ngakoue is a nice way to buy some cheap sacks. Evans is a weird fit but could enter a job share with Taylor Rapp as the linebacker next to Milano depending on the situation. Not the worst idea considering this point in the off season. 

Ngakoue isn't an every down rusher, but we don't need him to be. Bring him in as a sub pass rusher who gets a few good rushes per game. Kind of like the role Jordan Phillips had for us in 2019, rack up a lot of sacks on relatively few rushes.

He's bounced around a lot of teams. Went from Jax to Minnesota, they traded him to Baltimore soon after signing him, then he signed with Las Vegas, shortly after that he got traded to Indy, and now he's an unsigned free agent. Apparently he's kind of a weird guy and didn't click with teammates in the Colts locker room, and he has a tendency to freelance on his rushes. But you figure for a cheap rotational piece you can manage his issues and just use him to rack up sacks and QB hits.

Rashaan Evans is the exact kind of MLB I think this team needs to sign before the draft. Cheap and gives us a floor above Bernard, Dodson, and Spector. So if we don't draft an upgrade we at least have a known capable starter on the roster.

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Ngakoue is still only 28.

9.5 & 10 sacks the last 2 seasons

I don’t think he’s good against the run, but we have Shaq and Rousseau for that.

some Bills Twitter accounts are posting video clips of Yannick, perhaps some smoke 

if we add him, I’d still love Melvin Ingram

Von

Rousseau

Ingram

Ngakoue

Shaq

AJ

Boogie

Edited by Warriorspikes51
  • Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Maybe, but Jefferson isn’t exactly a wow player either. He just always gets open and picks up yards

Wait are you talking about Justin Jefferson? That dude was 100% a wow player at LSU. I always said when I watched him with Chase and Burrow that he’s just as good as Chase and more dependable. He also played bigger than he was and looks like it as well. Addison does not wow at all. He’ll be a decent #2 I’m sure but no way is he in the same category as Justin Jefferson in college and will never be where Justin Jefferson is now 

2 hours ago, NeverOutNick said:

Wait are you talking about Justin Jefferson? That dude was 100% a wow player at LSU. I always said when I watched him with Chase and Burrow that he’s just as good as Chase and more dependable. He also played bigger than he was and looks like it as well. Addison does not wow at all. He’ll be a decent #2 I’m sure but no way is he in the same category as Justin Jefferson in college and will never be where Justin Jefferson is now 

IMO you two are both right and wrong. I think the comp to Jefferson is accurate, I don’t know what LSU games you were watching, but Chase absolutely looked like a superstar and Jefferson looked like a solid/dependable chain mover. His transition to the NFL has far exceeded his optics at LSU.

With they being said, i watched quite a bit of Addison (mostly at usc) and I was underwhelmed. To me, thinking Addison could be Jefferson is like thinking every talented  5’11 200 Lb qb will be drew Brees and even 6’5 athletic freak with mediocre accuracy will be Josh Allen. Those dudes break norms, they don’t create them. 

On 4/13/2023 at 11:44 AM, BarleyNY said:

Yup. I’ll add that it is worth noting what KC had on offense when Mahomes was drafted. The OL included Eric Fisher, Mitch Morse, Laurent Duvernay-Tardif and Mitchell Schwartz. Offensive skill position players included Tyreek Hill and Travis Kelce. Since Mahomes was drafted the Chefs have had 18 picks in the first three rounds. 12 defensive and 6 offensive players were taken. Some thoughts on this:

- The defense had some studs, but was more in need of upgrades at the time.

- QB, WR1, LT, C, RT and a stud TE were all under contract. Other than WR2/3 there were not a lot of glaring needs that would require high picks.

- Why neglect to u clyde what KC spent to get Mahomes, who obviously is an offensive player? Two firsts and a third. That would make it 12 D to 9 O. Still slanted toward D, but not by as much. 

....your slant of D to O ratio is off

'18 4 of 4  round 1-4 picks spent on D (and this was a BAD draft for KC.  3 of the 4 were busts, and one was barely a JAG, Derrick Nhadi) They of course didn't have the 1, traded away to the Bills.  

'19 2 of 3 first 4 round picks spent on D

'20 2 of 4 first 4 round picks spent on D

'21 2 of 3 first 4 round picks spent on D

'22 5 of 6 first 4 round picks spend ont D

That's 15 out of 20.  You could say 15 of 21 if you take away the Mahomes trade 1st rounder in 2018.  Certainly not 12 to 9 though.

9 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Ngakoue isn't an every down rusher, but we don't need him to be. Bring him in as a sub pass rusher who gets a few good rushes per game. Kind of like the role Jordan Phillips had for us in 2019, rack up a lot of sacks on relatively few rushes.

He's bounced around a lot of teams. Went from Jax to Minnesota, they traded him to Baltimore soon after signing him, then he signed with Las Vegas, shortly after that he got traded to Indy, and now he's an unsigned free agent. Apparently he's kind of a weird guy and didn't click with teammates in the Colts locker room, and he has a tendency to freelance on his rushes. But you figure for a cheap rotational piece you can manage his issues and just use him to rack up sacks and QB hits.

Rashaan Evans is the exact kind of MLB I think this team needs to sign before the draft. Cheap and gives us a floor above Bernard, Dodson, and Spector. So if we don't draft an upgrade we at least have a known capable starter on the roster.

The other thing with Ngakoue is he can't (and won't) play the run. He is quite happy to just let a guy go past him. It creates questions about how much he wants it and coaches get to the point where they say "screw the sacks this guy doesn't care." At a buy very low number though he does have a skillset that without Von we don't have.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Zerovoltz said:

....your slant of D to O ratio is off

'18 4 of 4  round 1-4 picks spent on D (and this was a BAD draft for KC.  3 of the 4 were busts, and one was barely a JAG, Derrick Nhadi) They of course didn't have the 1, traded away to the Bills.  

'19 2 of 3 first 4 round picks spent on D

'20 2 of 4 first 4 round picks spent on D

'21 2 of 3 first 4 round picks spent on D

'22 5 of 6 first 4 round picks spend ont D

That's 15 out of 20.  You could say 15 of 21 if you take away the Mahomes trade 1st rounder in 2018.  Certainly not 12 to 9 though.

I looked at the first three rounds. 

5 hours ago, nbbillsfan said:

IMO you two are both right and wrong. I think the comp to Jefferson is accurate, I don’t know what LSU games you were watching, but Chase absolutely looked like a superstar and Jefferson looked like a solid/dependable chain mover. His transition to the NFL has far exceeded his optics at LSU.

With they being said, i watched quite a bit of Addison (mostly at usc) and I was underwhelmed. To me, thinking Addison could be Jefferson is like thinking every talented  5’11 200 Lb qb will be drew Brees and even 6’5 athletic freak with mediocre accuracy will be Josh Allen. Those dudes break norms, they don’t create them. 

it’s a small sample size, but the kid looked special and played bigger than he was. They even thought he was 6 foot three when he was actually only 6 foot one. I don’t see that with Addison, so I don’t think it’s a fair comparison, but if we do take Addison, I hope he is even a little close to Justin Jefferson’s level.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.