Bills plan to tender Dane Jackson

Reed83HOF

• Reed83HOF changed the title to Bills plan to tender Dane Jackson
13 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Good move. Still relatively cheap for a guy that can be a low end starter. 

I wonder if in camp they give him and Elam some reps at nickel. I dont think Johnson is going anywhere but if he went down for an extended length of time I would want to know if either of those guys can play inside.  

Completely agree.

At Pitt, Dane never played nickel but has quickness/aggression to play there. Originally thought that's where he'd focus in the NFL, given he lacks ideal speed for outside.  But he's very good depth/low-end starter material.

Solid re-signing at $2.7m.  I still think we should draft a pure nickle corner in the late rounds, as you said, we need depth at inside corner and could look to deploy more dime looks...depending how MLB is addressed and/or plans to use Benford as a 3rd safety/dime

Edited by MasterStrategist

13 minutes ago, BillsFan130 said:

I like bringing Dane back but at 2.7 Mil? That seems a bit high?

For some reason I thought it would be under 2

Dane Jackson is a RFA.  If the Bills do not "tender" him a contract, he becomes an UFA.

Original round tender is $2.7M.  The price cannot be lower.

If a team offers him more, the Bills can match OR let him go and get a 7th round pick (his original draft round).

Now, Dane could sign for lower with the Bills and give up his tender option (like Cam Lewis did) but Jackson thinks he is worth more.

It's his right to do this.  Personally, I think a team will offer a contract higher and he signs it.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

17 minutes ago, BillsFan130 said:

I like bringing Dane back but at 2.7 Mil? That seems a bit high?

For some reason I thought it would be under 2

Tender is only for year, can they turn around and now offer him a 2 or 3 year deal at lower number for 2023?  Or are you not allowed to do that with tendered players?

Just now, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Tender is only for year, can they turn around and now offer him a 2 or 3 year deal at lower number for 2023?  Or are you not allowed to do that with tendered players?

Jackson would never sign multi-years at that low of a salary. 

• Agree 1

Just now, ColoradoBills said:

Dane Jackson is a RFA.  If the Bills do not "tender" him a contract, he becomes an UFA.

Original round tender is $2.7M.  The price cannot be lower.

If a team offers him more, the Bills can match OR let him go and get a 7th round pick (his original draft round).

Now, Dane could sign for lower with the Bills and give up his tender option (like Cam Lewis did) but Jackson thinks he is worth more.

It's his right to do this.  Personally, I think a team will offer a contract higher and he signs it.

Ahh interesting I didn’t know all of that. 

Thanks for the explanation buddy.

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I’m a bit surprised, but he is functional depth. Good for him. 

I’m just glad the guy can walk after playing Gumby neck. That’s a miracle to me! Good for him. The rest is gravy. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

I think you can do that.

Colorado^ had a good explanation above, but I do believe the bills can sign him to a 2-3 year deal to lower the cap hit

1 minute ago, Beast said:

Jackson would never sign multi-years at that low of a salary. 

You don't think he would sign say a 3 year year maybe around a $10 mil contract, this year $1 mil salary and $3 mil bonus, 2024 $2.5 mil, 2025 $3.5 mil, $5 mil total guaranteed?  Bills would still have easy out in 2025 for $1mil

Just now, BillsFan130 said:

I think you can do that.

Colorado^ had a good explanation above, but I do believe the bills can sign him to a 2-3 year deal to lower the cap hit

Technically he can sign a multi-year contract for any amount of money BUT only after the original team waves the "tender" option.

In essence he will be an UFA and can sign with the team for any terms after March 15th, but the original team could lose him to anyone.

• Thank you (+1) 1

I think the original round tender is a good move by Beane.  He can let Dane see what he is worth and then Beane can match if he likes it.

If some team throws some money at Dane (which is a possibility) Bills will get a 7th round pick.

A 2nd round tender is $4.9M which is too much for Dane IMO.

• Agree 3

13 minutes ago, BananaB said:

McD must want to keep the rotation with him and Elam going. Kid was horrible last year

He had a rough couple of games, but played well to begin the year and well later on in the season as well.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, BananaB said:

McD must want to keep the rotation with him and Elam going. Kid was horrible last year

He was starting when our D was playing its best.

He really wasn't bad, at all. He's our most physical corner, and great depth behind White, Elam & Johnson.

• Agree 1

28 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

You don't think he would sign say a 3 year year maybe around a $10 mil contract, this year $1 mil salary and $3 mil bonus, 2024 $2.5 mil, 2025 $3.5 mil, $5 mil total guaranteed?  Bills would still have easy out in 2025 for $1mil

No. I don't. Because I think he'd get a better offer than that on the open market.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 4

1 minute ago, Success said:

He was starting when our D was playing its best.

He really wasn't bad, at all. He's our most physical corner, and great depth behind White, Elam & Johnson.

Yeah, I've always liked Jackson and from what I saw from him this past season he had a kinda up and down year. With Hyde going down so early, it can be a little of an adjustment when not having that kind of help and trust over the top you're used to having. 

Anyway, I don't know if that scary injury may have been a factor...but I feel like he played better before than after the injury. 

• Like (+1) 2

40 minutes ago, 5ths the charm said:

Omfg did anyone watch this guy? He was poor in protection and got ran over or missed tackles...alot.

He played well against both Miami in the playoffs and Cincy, where he was one of the only players who actualy showed up on D. Had a couple of pass breakups that day.

• Like (+1) 2

9 hours ago, 5ths the charm said:

Omfg did anyone watch this guy? He was poor in protection and got ran over or missed tackles...alot.

I know. At one point opposing teams were just tossing it up in his direction on third down and completing them every time. 

• Agree 1

If we get Dane Jackson back for 2.7M, I’ll take it.  He’s good depth and a spot starter that can hold it down pretty well, comparatively to CB depth in the league. 

Given the strength of this FO in drafting Day 3 secondary players, I’d almost rather they just let Dane walk and draft a guy to be CB4 .. unless the plan truly is to transition Benford to Safety .. in which case having Dane back as primary depth makes a lot of sense. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.