Best possible picks at 27?

BeastMode54

1 hour ago, Rebel101 said:

Everyone is talking OLine which is understandable but the Bengals already proved you can win a playoff game in a dominating fashion against a heavily invested DL with a spotty at best OL with a quick and efficient passing game. Our OL probably wouldn’t be under such scrutiny if the offense wasn’t running every play 20-50 yards down field. The system was a mess and until the coaches figure that out we need to make our offense more potent to be able to strike quickly. I’d say Hyatt if he’s there, or Downs in the second. I actually like Mingo or Hutchinson from Iowa state in the 3rd I believe more then the other 2 picks tho. So with that sentiment in mind OL specifically Paris Johnson Jr The Ohio State. Unless someone unexpected player trips and falls 

IDK.  Using the Cinci example, the very next week, Burrow was sacked 5 times and harassed far more.  His rating was 70 for that game and they scored about 7 points less than they averaged. 

Buffalo proved you could win a playoff game with their Oline, but we are not looking to win a playoff game any longer.

To me at least, the bottom of the first/top of the second is a sweet spot for finding a quality OL.  We'd probably have our choice of the best two interior OL in Torrence or Schmitt (Schmidt?).  Either would start day 1, improve our OL and protect our greatest asset/playmaker.  In terms of OT's, there will probably be 3 taken off the board before we pick.   Wright from Tenn would improve the RT position immediately, assuming there is no improvement from Spencer Brown or Doyle. 

Id actually prefer a trade down to the middle of the 2nd and pick up an extra pick.

To me at least, there is going to be a better chance of getting a WR or S in rounds 3-5 than there will be on the OL, especially at OT.   Although I admit, I would be tempted on Hiatt at WR, warts and all.

• Agree 1

On 3/2/2023 at 10:33 AM, BeastMode54 said:

I'm curious who people on this board think would be the best player to take at 27? From all the mocks I've seen, these are the guys who have been mocked to us most frequently. Just curious what everyone's thoughts are on these guys.

Jordan Addison WR

Jaylin Hyatt WR

Rashee Rice WR

Bijan Robinson RB

Cyrus O'Torrence OG

Antonio Johnson S

Cody Mauch OT

Addison or Cyrus

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, John from Riverside said:

A question to those that have fold him a little closer as Cyrus really a scheme fit for our line he’s big, nasty and huge, but is he  mobile

I’m more inclined to have a lineman that can get out and move and hit people the second level. That’s why I threw Steve Avilla into the ring.

If the top WRs are gone and O'Cyrus is gone, then I would like to trade down and get Avilla in the 2nd

2 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

A question to those that have fold him a little closer as Cyrus really a scheme fit for our line he’s big, nasty and huge, but is he  mobile

I’m more inclined to have a lineman that can get out and move and hit people the second level. That’s why I threw Steve Avilla into the ring.

Avila is more mobile than Torrence, but he is still huge and moving/playing in space is not going to be his best use in my view.  Honestly, I watched a few games of both Torrence and Avila and, while I am no scout, Avila looked a little better to me.

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

JSN if he somehow makes it there. He is a rich man’s Beasley. He’s also capable of playing on the outside. I fully expect him to catch 80+ balls as a rookie. 

I remember you being very high on Justin Jefferson who some saw as a slot only WR, so I hold this opinion in high regard. I don't like taking a slot only WR in the 1st but if JSN can play outside I would love that pick. You could effectively get a Diggs replicant on the other side of the field.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

If the Bills are prioritizing an explosive WR who can line up outside as a vertical threat but still operate efficiently at all three levels it looks to me like the choices are Addison and Flowers. They are undersized but given their lightning quick release and ability to separate this is more relevant to durability than ability to perform. One of them, probably Flowers, will likely be there at 27. 

24 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

Avila is more mobile than Torrence, but he is still huge and moving/playing in space is not going to be his best use in my view.  Honestly, I watched a few games of both Torrence and Avila and, while I am no scout, Avila looked a little better to me.

I agree that Avila is a better prospect especially for the Bills. 

Saw that the Bills met with Mayer today. I’m not against that move depending on what the Bills do in Free Agency. I think out of all the early TEs he fits what the Bills like to do and he reminds me of a lot of the old school Miami Tight Ends 

3 minutes ago, starrymessenger said:

If the Bills are prioritizing an explosive WR who can line up outside as a vertical threat but still operate efficiently at all three levels it looks to me like the choices are Addison and Flowers. They are undersized but given their lightning quick release and ability to separate this is more relevant to durability than ability to perform. One of them, probably Flowers, will likely be there at 27. 

Addison isn’t dropping to 27. Zay Flowers to me is a solid pick but to me Jalin Hyatt is the perfect compliment to what we have as it sits right now.

The Bills don’t need an underneath guy. Diggs is a great underneath guy and as he ages will have to become more of that player out of the slot. 

Davis should be a big possession guy who works the intermediate area. Hyatt would be that 3rd level player to open up underneath for Diggs and David amongst others 

9 minutes ago, gonzo1105 said:

Saw that the Bills met with Mayer today. I’m not against that move depending on what the Bills do in Free Agency. I think out of all the early TEs he fits what the Bills like to do and he reminds me of a lot of the old school Miami Tight Ends 

Addison isn’t dropping to 27. Zay Flowers to me is a solid pick but to me Jalin Hyatt is the perfect compliment to what we have as it sits right now.

The Bills don’t need an underneath guy. Diggs is a great underneath guy and as he ages will have to become more of that player out of the slot. 

Davis should be a big possession guy who works the intermediate area. Hyatt would be that 3rd level player to open up underneath for Diggs and David amongst others 

I agree with most of this, just not sure Davis is a good candidate to be a “possession” receiver.  Not sure his hands are good enough and not sure he can get open consistently like that.  Maybe he can do it - I believe that he is a super hard worker.

6 minutes ago, gonzo1105 said:

I agree that Avila is a better prospect especially for the Bills. 

JMO but I think Flowers and Addison are on a whole different and higher level as pro prospect receivers. Also, Diggs is getting a little up there in age so that you have to think about his successor as the team's # 1. That's certainly not Hyatt imo. To me he is a high risk of busting  while Addison and Flowers are much safer picks. I can just barely remember when we drafted a big receiver called Hardy (I think) ahead of DeSean Jackson. 

4 minutes ago, starrymessenger said:

JMO but I think Flowers and Addison are on a whole different and higher level as pro prospect receivers. Also, Diggs is getting a little up there in age so that you have to think about his successor as the team's # 1. That's certainly not Hyatt imo. To me he is a high risk of busting  while Addison and Flowers are much safer picks. I can just barely remember when we drafted a big receiver called Hardy (I think) ahead of DeSean Jackson. 

Jalin Hyatt is way more athletic than James Hardy was. Jalin  Hyatt is supposed to run high 4.2 to low 4.3. I agree with you he has higher bust potential his upside if he reaches it is way higher than Zay Flowers especially. 

The Bills have had more success drafting high end green athletes than they have limited athletic traits great college tape guys. 

I honestly am starting to think and ik it will be opined but TE makes a hell of a lot of sense when it comes to value meeting need. 

16 minutes ago, gonzo1105 said:

Jalin Hyatt is way more athletic than James Hardy was. Jalin  Hyatt is supposed to run high 4.2 to low 4.3. I agree with you he has higher bust potential his upside if he reaches it is way higher than Zay Flowers especially. 

The Bills have had more success drafting high end green athletes than they have limited athletic traits great college tape guys. 

I honestly am starting to think and ik it will be opined but TE makes a hell of a lot of sense when it comes to value meeting need. 

Don't disagree on TE. 
Flowers is expected to run in the low 4.3s as well and under no circumstances is he limited in his athletic traits. Both he and Addison are great athletes. Hyatt has no proven ability as a route runner. He ran all of four routes in college, all vertical. The vol offense was schemed to give him a free release all day long. That's not happening in the pros where much better DBs will be pressing, jamming, punching. In terms of proven ability Hyatt is to me a one trick poney. Maybe he will develop into a Will Fuller (without the head case) but even then I think both Addison and Flowers are likely to have more impact sooner.

1 minute ago, starrymessenger said:.

Edited by starrymessenger

On 3/2/2023 at 2:46 PM, wppete said:

I’m starting to think Bijan Robinson could be a great pick if he is there at #27. Special talent. I see the Saquan Barkley comparison. He’s a 3 down back who can catch and run crisp routes and is a great blocker. 

For all the "you can find a RB anywhere" folks, notice that the Cowboys and Raiders are planning to put the franchise tag on theirs. 🤔

• Agree 2

15 hours ago, HappyDays said:

I remember you being very high on Justin Jefferson who some saw as a slot only WR, so I hold this opinion in high regard. I don't like taking a slot only WR in the 1st but if JSN can play outside I would love that pick. You could effectively get a Diggs replicant on the other side of the field.

Thanks!! As an OSU fan I’m obviously biased but I believe that. Here is the interview that everyone talks about from last year when Garrett Wilson, Chris Olave and JSN were together:

After Olave and Wilson declared for the draft they sat out the Rose Bowl. Here are the highlights of JSN in ONE GAME:

He was banged up for 2022 so I think that people forgot how good he was. He maybe doesn’t have elite athletic traits (although all 3 said that he was the best athlete). This guy just feels like he could come in tomorrow and give Josh the safety blanket that he needs while making some big plays.

45 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Thanks!! As an OSU fan I’m obviously biased but I believe that. Here is the interview that everyone talks about from last year when Garrett Wilson, Chris Olave and JSN were together:

After Olave and Wilson declared for the draft they sat out the Rose Bowl. Here are the highlights of JSN in ONE GAME:

He was banged up for 2022 so I think that people forgot how good he was. He maybe doesn’t have elite athletic traits (although all 3 said that he was the best athlete). This guy just feels like he could come in tomorrow and give Josh the safety blanket that he needs while making some big plays.

When does JSN run? Are the receivers today? I feel like testing is big for him. He doesn't look that fast on the field. I do see the Beasley comp, definitely. He is like an ultra Beasley. I wouldn't usually have any part of a guy I think is pretty much a slot only in the 1st round.... but man in this class... if JSN is there I'd pick him. I don't think he will be as it happens. 

16 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

When does JSN run? Are the receivers today? I feel like testing is big for him. He doesn't look that fast on the field. I do see the Beasley comp, definitely. He is like an ultra Beasley. I wouldn't usually have any part of a guy I think is pretty much a slot only in the 1st round.... but man in this class... if JSN is there I'd pick him. I don't think he will be as it happens. 

He is running at the OSU pro day. The receivers are today though I believe. He will run in the 4.5’s IMO.

JSN raises the floor of the offense and is ready to contribute day 1. For me that is important in this draft. The Bills “window” is open now. I am not sure that I need some high ceiling guy that may take 2-3 years to develop. I want a couple of day 1 contributors in this draft. To me JSN will be like 80 catches, 900 yards and 7 TDs as a rookie. If you stack that with the others it improves the offense. He will be a chain mover. He reminds me a little of a young Jarvis Landry.

Edited by Kirby Jackson
  • Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

He is running at the OSU pro day. The receivers are today though I believe. He will run in the 4.5’s IMO.

JSN raises the floor of the offense and is ready to contribute day 1. For me that is important in this draft. The Bills “window” is open now. I am not sure that I need some high ceiling guy that may take 2-3 years to develop. I want a couple of day 1 contributors in this draft. To me JSN will be like 80 catches, 900 yards and 7 TDs as a rookie. If you stack that with the others it improves the offense. He will be a chain mover. He reminds me a little of a young Jarvis Landry.

I have the reverse bias against him because his brother Canaan was a top prospect in the Yankees organization and was always injured.    Canaan was a QB in HS but is the type of baseball player that his younger bro is in football.........instincts, hand-eye coordination, fluid athlete.   In small spaces he's probably always the best athlete in the room......which is what Olave and Wilson were talking about.    It's just always another injury with Canaan and the length of time missed didn't seem to add up.   Usually leg injuries, but always something.   When JSN called it an entire season with a hamstring injury.........that was all too familiar.   Not running the 40 after 6 months to recuperate?   I know everyone prefers to run at their pro day but that's some diva sh!t after skipping the season to prepare.

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I have the reverse bias against him because his brother Canaan was a top prospect in the Yankees organization and was always injured.    Canaan was a QB in HS but is the type of baseball player that his younger bro is in football.........instincts, hand-eye coordination, fluid athlete.   In small spaces he's probably always the best athlete in the room......which is what Olave and Wilson were talking about.    It's just always another injury with Canaan and the length of time missed didn't seem to add up.   Usually leg injuries, but always something.   When JSN called it an entire season with a hamstring injury.........that was all too familiar.   Not running the 40 after 6 months to recuperate?   I know everyone prefers to run at their pro day but that's some diva sh!t after skipping the season to prepare.

Ohio State is a notoriously fast track. His obligation is to post as low of a time as possible. He’s doing what’s best for his status. No one will blame him for that 

Edited by Kirby Jackson

6 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Ohio State is a notoriously fast track. His obligation is to pot as low of a time as possible. He’s doing what’s best for his status. No one will blame him for that 

That attitude is fine if you proved your ability and durability on the field and are just trying to hold your position.    JSN says he should go top 5 in the draft.   *Maybe* no one will have any pause about him opting out of the 2022 season with a national championship run a distinct possibility............but there is no question not playing has lessened his stock at this point.   How could it not?  Greg Rousseau went thru a similar thing.   He didn't skip the whole season because of a hamstring injury.....he opted out for Covid.....but if he had repeated his 2019 season in 2020 instead of opting out........ his modest workout numbers wouldn't have kept him out of the top 10.    

20 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

That attitude is fine if you proved your ability and durability on the field and are just trying to hold your position.    JSN says he should go top 5 in the draft.   *Maybe* no one will have any pause about him opting out of the 2022 season with a national championship run a distinct possibility............but there is no question not playing has lessened his stock at this point.   How could it not?  Greg Rousseau went thru a similar thing.   He didn't skip the whole season because of a hamstring injury.....he opted out for Covid.....but if he had repeated his 2019 season in 2020 instead of opting out........ his modest workout numbers wouldn't have kept him out of the top 10.    

I don’t disagree, at all. That’s the only reason that JSN is even a possibility at 27. If he built off of the end of 2021 he was a top 10 lock. It’ll be interesting to see how this year plays out for Marvin Harrison JR. (who is a better prospect than any of them IMO). 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

If he is there I wouldn't hate it. I doubt there is a possible pick I'm gonna love at #27 tbh. The more of this class I watch, the less I like it. Does make me more inclined towards guys you think can come in and be good early even if their ceiling is lower. Cos I don't think this draft is gonna kick out too many all pros when it is all said and done. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, The Firebaugh Kid said:

Flowers is small, no? Don't see him as a WR 1/2. 

He's short, 5'9". But he just put on some weight (12 LBs) so he's up to 182 LBs. Weight wise that puts him in the same class as most of the rest of this generally smaller class. I think he'd be a great # 2. Still prefer Addison. One of those guys will probably be there. 

2 minutes ago, starrymessenger said:

He's short, 5'9". But he just put on some weight (12 LBs) so he's up to 182 LBs. Weight wise that puts him in the same class as most of the rest of this generally smaller class. I think he'd be a great # 2. Still prefer Addison. One of those guys will probably be there. 

addison just ran a 4.55

flowers ran 4.42

ehhhh average. theyre both small and thin. NAH. PASSSSS

Jordan Addison ran only a 4.55 40 today.  Might that cause him to drop enough to make it to the Bills?  I think 4.55 is still acceptable provided his slight frame isn't too much of an additional detraction.  He is certainly quick, productive and seems to have very good hands.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.