Best possible picks at 27?

BeastMode54

It seems to me like there's not a ton of elite talent. But there's a lot of guys that can good, maybe not great. 

With that said, I'd really like to see a trade down from 27 to get 4 guys in the first 3 rounds who can make this team better.

• Thank you (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, chongli said:

Some well-respected mocks also have us taking WR's Quentin Johnston or Jaxon Smith-Njigba.

Strong hands, 6' 4" and 4.4 speed... I don't Johnston he drops to us. This list shows many pundits think he's going a LOT higher than 27. 

We have limited resources but for this guy I'd be open to a trade up.

https://www.nflmockdraftdatabase.com/players/2023/quentin-johnston

Edited by Nephilim17
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 1

Here’s my criteria for the Bills Top Pick:

Someone who’s going to start and be on the field for virtually every down…period. 

I’m done with rotational First Round Draft Picks. Their impact is entirely too limited for the level of improvement the Bills are going to need in 2023. 

• Like (+1) 7

The best “pick” is likely to trade back a little bit so we can get a few extra selections.

In a trade-back scenario, I’m looking at Steve Avila or John Michael-Schmitz in the early to mid 2nd round. Avila has experience at G and C, which is very much in the mold of what our staff likes. JMS is a beast and would be a great addition to the line - having him at G now to take over next year at C would be fine as I don’t think we bring Morse back once his contract ends.

From there? Your guess is as good as mine. I think Rice is a day 2 pick personally but not sure he’s there at 59. I also don’t think he’s as valuable as either of the above options to be taken ahead of them. He *might* be at 59, the other two (barring a garbage combine) will definitely *not* be there at 59. If we are trading back I think it’s for one of these guys.

I’m not sure how I feel about Tank Dell from Houston. He’s a day 2 guy I think who may also be an option at 59. I feel like he’s a guy who SHOULD be taken way earlier than some of his counterparts but his name isn’t coming across as many headlines. Lots of love for Hyatt and Rice lately while, to me, Dell is as good as they are. He’s a weapon for sure. I also like Josh Downs a lot but he’s 100% a slot guy and we have more than enough of them. Great player, bad fit.

Voorhis would be a good G to add day 3. He was initially a 5th round projection, I doubt he makes it past the 4th. Could work himself into the late 3rd with an outstanding combine I think.

Back to round 1… I think if someone like Zay Flowers falls you have to really consider him before taking calls to move back. Paris Johnson and Skoronski go here as well but I can’t imagine either of them not being at top-20 pick. Hyatt is interesting but there’s a lot of hype moving him up the boards and I’m not sure he’s worth pick 27 (don’t hate me, I know it’s a bad take)

2 minutes ago, KingBoots8 said:

Back to round 1… I think if someone like Zay Flowers falls you have to really consider him before taking calls to move back. Paris Johnson and Skoronski go here as well but I can’t imagine either of them not being at top-20 pick. Hyatt is interesting but there’s a lot of hype moving him up the boards and I’m not sure he’s worth pick 27 (don’t hate me, I know it’s a bad take)

If Johnson or Skoronski are there it is run to the podium time. I don't believe either will be. I don't think either Flowers or Hyatt are really first round talents in most draft classes. But in this class? I can definitely see a route to them both going late day 1. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, KingBoots8 said:

The best “pick” is likely to trade back a little bit so we can get a few extra selections.

In a trade-back scenario, I’m looking at Steve Avila or John Michael-Schmitz in the early to mid 2nd round. Avila has experience at G and C, which is very much in the mold of what our staff likes. JMS is a beast and would be a great addition to the line - having him at G now to take over next year at C would be fine as I don’t think we bring Morse back once his contract ends.

From there? Your guess is as good as mine. I think Rice is a day 2 pick personally but not sure he’s there at 59. I also don’t think he’s as valuable as either of the above options to be taken ahead of them. He *might* be at 59, the other two (barring a garbage combine) will definitely *not* be there at 59. If we are trading back I think it’s for one of these guys.

I’m not sure how I feel about Tank Dell from Houston. He’s a day 2 guy I think who may also be an option at 59. I feel like he’s a guy who SHOULD be taken way earlier than some of his counterparts but his name isn’t coming across as many headlines. Lots of love for Hyatt and Rice lately while, to me, Dell is as good as they are. He’s a weapon for sure. I also like Josh Downs a lot but he’s 100% a slot guy and we have more than enough of them. Great player, bad fit.

Voorhis would be a good G to add day 3. He was initially a 5th round projection, I doubt he makes it past the 4th. Could work himself into the late 3rd with an outstanding combine I think.

Rice from SMU needs a huge combine. He was awful at the Senior Bowl. Couldn’t separate from DBs and he’s not a huge WR who can win contested. I was disappointed as I usually love SMU WRs but I would pass on him 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, KingBoots8 said:

I'm higher on Vorhees than most. I have a 2nd round grade on him. He isn't my first choice at #59.... but there is a scenario where I'd consider him at that spot. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Shocked 1
  • Agree 1

26 minutes ago, Nephilim17 said:

Strong hands, 6' 4" and 4.4 speed... I don't Johnston he drops to us. This list shows many pundits think he's going a LOT higher than 27. 

We have limited resources but for this guy I'd be open to a trade up.

https://www.nflmockdraftdatabase.com/players/2023/quentin-johnston

Dude is stiff as a board. Let someone else overdraft him and slide someone else down our way.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, gonzo1105 said:

Rice from SMU needs a huge combine. He was awful at the Senior Bowl. Couldn’t separate from DBs and he’s not a huge WR who can win contested. I was disappointed as I usually love SMU WRs but I would pass on him 

Yea he did have a poor senior bowl week (not just game). I was surprised. I still quite like his film and you have to be careful how much weight you put on all star games. I have moved him down though. I had him as a mid 2nd round grade who could easily sneak into the end of the 1st and his tape made him look a fit for the Bills schematically. I've got a 2nd/3rd borderline on him now. I think the combine actually matters for him. If he tests well I think teams will forgive the senior bowl a bit. If he tests disappointingly he could slip out of the 2nd round and possible even out of day 2. 

3 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Yea he did have a poor senior bowl week (not just game). I was surprised. I still quite like his film and you have to be careful how much weight you put on all star games. I have moved him down though. I had him as a mid 2nd round grade who could easily sneak into the end of the 1st and his tape made him look a fit for the Bills schematically. I've got a 2nd/3rd borderline on him now. I think the combine actually matters for him. If he tests well I think teams will forgive the senior bowl a bit. If he tests disappointingly he could slip out of the 2nd round and possible even out of day 2. 

I think he’s very similar at least arc wise to David Bell. He was highly thought of in the media, big production , then flopped in all of the stuff and ended up a 4th rounder. I think Rice, if he doesn’t run well, will end up in round 4 or 5

• Agree 1

40 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I'm higher on Vorhees than most. I have a 2nd round grade on him. He isn't my first choice at #59.... but there is a scenario where I'd consider him at that spot. 

I saw him on the ground a lot, which is one of those red flags for O-line play. But I like him. He isn't my favorite. Looking forward to his drills this week. 

I like Avila, and I would love Torrence in round 2, though he doesn't get there. I also like guys like Steen to move inside. Jaxson Kirkland is pretty interesting to me as well. Cody Mauch looks like the kind of guy they look for and I think he will test well. I really like Nick Broeker, not sure if he is a day starter, but I like his game. 

8 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I saw him on the ground a lot, which is one of those red flags for O-line play. But I like him. He isn't my favorite. Looking forward to his drills this week. 

I like Avila, and I would love Torrence in round 2, though he doesn't get there. I also like guys like Steen to move inside. Jaxson Kirkland is pretty interesting to me as well. Cody Mauch looks like the kind of guy they look for and I think he will test well. I really like Nick Broeker, not sure if he is a day starter, but I like his game. 

I just love Vorhees anchor in pass pro. When he sets his feet to pass protect, he has that wingspan, he mirrors pass rushers really well.... he is just a hard dude to get by. To me as pass protectors Vorhees is ahead of Torrence and I think he is clearly ahead too. 

• Like (+1) 2

I’m starting to think Bijan Robinson could be a great pick if he is there at #27. Special talent. I see the Saquan Barkley comparison. He’s a 3 down back who can catch and run crisp routes and is a great blocker. 

For me Jalin Hyatt is the obvious selection if he's still there. I see the same criticisms about him that I remember seeing about DK Metcalf - he plays in a college offense and runs a limited route tree. I'm not making a 1:1 comparison to Metcalf but my point is analysts overthink this stuff. I see a player that runs really fast, tracks the ball, has great hands, and plays with a high level of competitiveness. The rest can be figured out.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, BeastMode54 said:

so what's you wish list?

I’ll make sure to make my own lamp post.  I wouldn’t want to waste it in this thread 😘 

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Just a bad class.

EDIT: from that list it is Addison. But he won't be there.

Agreed, but there should be more options @ WR than addison, rice and Hyatt.  Flowers, jsn should be included.  Mauch the only OR?  No wright?  O’Torrance as the only og?  

just a weird list.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.