Bills need to hit on picks to have a chance

Niagara Dude

KC not only has Mahomes they have a GM that is killing it with smart trades/value free agent signings and most importantly drafting.  All but 2 of the Chiefs draft picks from last year were starters this year.  

They have another 12 picks in this coming draft, so unless Beane starts hitting on picks then the Chiefs will be tough to beat because they will always have a solid cap situation(14 mllion in cap before making any adjustments) to add top free agents with so many players/starters playing on rookie deals.   We waste a 3rd rounder on a small/average speed LB in Bernard who almost never saw the field while the Chiefs took 3 players after who all started including RB Pacheco 

The fact is Beane has not been very good drafting,  many busts with early round picks and were falling behind because of it.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 1
  • Agree 10

I wouldn’t necessarily say busts, but they have not drafted high impact players. KC of course has drafted some duds to go along with their hits, but they have gotten impact from various places in the draft. 

I give Reid a lot of credit though with the way he fixed that offensive line. They were so bad in the Super bowl vs Tampa so he replaces all five starters, including his franchise LT of ten or so years. He trades for Brown, signs Thuney and drafts Humphrey and Smith in the same draft (Nick Bolton too) and elevates Wylie to a starter. He wasn’t worried about hard feelings. He jettisoned an entire unit in one offseason and fixed it through trades, good drafting, and free agency. This is something McDermott has not been willing to do. 

2020 Super Bowl:

LT: Eric Fisher
LG: Stefen Wisniewski

Center: Austin Reiter
RG: Laurent Duvernay-Tardif
RT: Mitchell Schwartz

next season:

Brown, Thuney, Humphrey, Smith, Wylie

• Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

23 minutes ago, Dr.Sack said:

Beane has done jack since 2018 in the draft, but he did trade away pick 27 ‘20 for Diggs. I doubt he would have used that on Justin Jefferson. Any thoughts?

Not sure they would have taken Justin Jefferson. I think they wanted Tee Higgins, but saw something at his pro day that didn’t sit well with them. That in itself is unsettling as a fan, considering they need another WR this off-season. If they didn’t see something in Higgins thay told them he was worth a first round pick then should we have much hope this draft?

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, whorlnut said:

Not sure they would have taken Justin Jefferson. I think they wanted Tee Higgins, but saw something at his pro day that didn’t sit well with them. That in itself is unsettling as a fan, considering they need another WR this off-season. If they didn’t see something in Higgins thay told them he was worth a first round pick then should we have much hope this draft?

Character doesn’t matter that much. Chiefs and Bengals have dudes who did some bad things man. Bad things. Choir boys can be found in 6th round.

• Like (+1) 3

“What would Veach do?”

Should be Beane’s motto this off-season. 

Would Veach re-sign Edmunds to a massive contract?

Would Veach try to trade Ed Oliver? Gabe Davis? Tre White?

Im not saying he’d trade all 3, but he traded Tyreek Hill… he let Charvarious Ward walk.  He won a Super Bowl the following year. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

Agree. Did you notice lots of that swagger was gone at his last press conference? 

I agree. He seemed like a guy that had no answers. He realized his “vision” of always adding to the defensive line caught up with him in regards to avoiding the offensive line and supporting Allen on the offense. Now he will have to go outside his comfort zone and keep McD off his back on draft day by adding to the offense that he largely neglected. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

11 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

Agree. Did you notice lots of that swagger was gone at his last press conference? 

He did seem that way.  

And what’s so frustrating is that he has levers to pull. 

He doesn’t need to re-up anyone.  Even our podcasters simp for Edmunds lately.  Give it a rest… Edmunds is NOT the difference between winning and losing in the playoffs. 

He has trade-able assets..  

Oliver has value, maybe not a ton of value, but someone will give him some kind of pick to take on that cap hit for what he provides.  

Davis has value.  Maybe legit pick value. Is he going to be re-signed next year?  Do they even know.  Is it a play it by ear situation?.. Move him for a pick.  Allen doesn’t trust him beyond a sideline throw or deep shot. 

Tre White has value.  Now I think the pick he could bring back probably isn’t worth it given what White could return to, now, a year removed from recovery.. but the convo should happen.  

Beane has levers to pull.  He’s not stuck, yet he sounded stuck … if so, it’s in a prison of his own making. 

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

47 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I wouldn’t necessarily say busts, but they have not drafted high impact players. KC of course has drafted some duds to go along with their hits, but they have gotten impact from various places in the draft. 

I give Reid a lot of credit though with the way he fixed that offensive line. They were so bad in the Super bowl vs Tampa so he replaces all five starters, including his franchise LT of ten or so years. He trades for Brown, signs Thuney and drafts Humphrey and Smith in the same draft (Nick Bolton too) and elevates Wylie to a starter. He wasn’t worried about hard feelings. He jettisoned an entire unit in one offseason and fixed it through trades, good drafting, and free agency. This is something McDermott has not been willing to do. 

2020 Super Bowl:

next season:

I think you have it wrong.

This is something McDermott doesn't know how to do.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

I think there were multiple factors to their rookie success this year. Scouting, coaching, injuries, and lack of depth. But it is impressive that they were able to plug in their rookies and not miss a beat.

Their coaches are able to adapt scheme to utilize their players. Meanwhile, our coaches keep the athletic, first round CB with ball skills on the bench because he doesn't fit the scheme.

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Niagara Dude said:

KC not only has Mahomes they have a GM that is killing it with smart trades/value free agent signings and most importantly drafting.  All but 2 of the Chiefs draft picks from last year were starters this year.  

They have another 12 picks in this coming draft, so unless Beane starts hitting on picks then the Chiefs will be tough to beat because they will always have a solid cap situation(14 mllion in cap before making any adjustments) to add top free agents with so many players/starters playing on rookie deals.   We waste a 3rd rounder on a small/average speed LB in Bernard who almost never saw the field while the Chiefs took 3 players after who all started including RB Pacheco 

The fact is Beane has not been very good drafting,  many busts with early round picks and were falling behind because of it.

It all starts and ends with Andy Reid.  He out prepares his opponent during the week, outcoaches his opponent on game day, and outdrafts his opponents in the draft.  He also unloaded Hill for a draft haul and reloaded along with avoided paying a huge contract.  Reid is killing it.  

Edited by DCbillsfan
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Dr.Sack said:

Beane has done jack since 2018 in the draft, but he did trade away pick 27 ‘20 for Diggs. I doubt he would have used that on Justin Jefferson. Any thoughts?

He hit on Josh, Tre White, Milano and Dawkins. He drafted Taron and Knox who are major contributors. He hit on Teller but didn't give him a chance to develop, big faux pas! Edmunds was considered by many to be the best MLB behind Roquan Smith. He drafted Oliver who was considered by many to be the best DT behind Q. Williams. He's whiffed on a couple like Epenesa, Basham, Bernard and Brown but overall I think he's been adequate. It's not easy nailing a draft when you're a perennial playoff team picking in the mid to high 20s all the time unless you trade up. And we all know how he feels about his picks.

Edited by billsbackto81

2 hours ago, Niagara Dude said:

Great post! I totally agree!

15 minutes ago, billsbackto81 said:

He hit on Josh, Tre White, Milano and Dawkins. He drafted Taron and Knox who are major contributors. He hit on Teller but didn't give him a chance to develop, big faux pas! Edmunds was considered by many to be the best MLB behind Roquan Smith. He drafted Oliver who was considered by many to be the best DT behind Q. Williams. He's whiffed on a couple like Epenesa, Basham, Bernard and Brown but overall I think he's been adequate. It's not easy nailing a draft when you're a perennial playoff team picking in the mid to high 20s all the time unless you trade up. And we all know how he feels about his picks.

White, Milano and Dawkins are not Beane picks.   He has hit on Josh.  Nothing else.

Edited by DCofNC
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 4

56 minutes ago, SCBills said:

He did seem that way.  

And what’s so frustrating is that he has levers to pull. 

He doesn’t need to re-up anyone.  Even our podcasters simp for Edmunds lately.  Give it a rest… Edmunds is NOT the difference between winning and losing in the playoffs. 

He has trade-able assets..  

Oliver has value, maybe not a ton of value, but someone will give him some kind of pick to take on that cap hit for what he provides.  

Davis has value.  Maybe legit pick value. Is he going to be re-signed next year?  Do they even know.  Is it a play it by ear situation?.. Move him for a pick.  Allen doesn’t trust him beyond a sideline throw or deep shot. 

Tre White has value.  Now I think the pick he could bring back probably isn’t worth it given what White could return to, now, a year removed from recovery.. but the convo should happen.  

Beane has levers to pull.  He’s not stuck, yet he sounded stuck … if so, it’s in a prison of his own making. 

Very nice post.

All indications are leaning towards the Bills resigning Edmunds to a fat contract. Beane drafted him and is clearly enamoured with him. Everything he says about him is glowing. You think he's the next Mike Ditka. 

He's not a difference maker. He has one good year which so happened to be a contract year. Imho, he's not worth the money. Totally agree with what you said. 

The other guys you mentioned really have little value with the exception of Oliver. Oliver is another guy that needs to go. He's no difference maker. I suspect he could be much better on another team. Seems like that's the way it goes.

Something about the Bills coaching doesn't seem to bring out the full potential in its players. Can't really put my finger on it. 

This off season should be contrentrate on the offensive side of the ball. Oline and Wrs and more Oline and Wrs. The Bills have to protect their franchise QB. Give him the best opportunity to thrive. 

The D should be an after thought. Of course try to improve but let it fall Where it falls. Sound harsh but I believe it's a valid opinion. This Fraizer D can't stop any formidable opponent in the playoffs. Nothing is going to change that with him still in charge. So fuc# the D! 

• Agree 1

16 minutes ago, billsbackto81 said:

Beane can do much better drafting, but so can the coaches. The main point being since the 2019, the drafts haven’t delivered much in the way of impact players. That’s 4 years of misses. The best playoff performer drafted since 2019 has been Gabe Davis and he’s a 4th round draft pick. The 1st round defensive draft picks have gone MIA. Perhaps a change in draft strategy is needed?

Edited by Dr.Sack

1 hour ago, MrEpsYtown said:

2020 Super Bowl:

next season:

In fairness........that wasn't their line for SB 55.  

LDT didn't play in 2020 he opted out for covid.

And if they could have gotten Fisher and Schwartz back healthy in 2021........they certainly would have.......both were excellent when they played in 2020 but Schwartz retired from injuries and Fisher was a UFA with a blown ACL.  

Austin Reiter.......also a free agent after that SB. 

In the SB they had the infamous killer of SB dreams Mike Remmers at LT.........worst starting LT in SB history?  Probably............. and a then-atrocious 3rd year turnstile named Andrew Wylie at RT.

Nick Allegretti started at LG as well.   I don't know where Wisniewski was........I presume injured........but he was washed in 2020.

The Chiefs kinda' HAD to replace 4 starter one way or another.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

In fairness........that wasn't their line for SB 55.  

LDT didn't play in 2020 he opted out for covid.

And if they could have gotten Fisher and Schwartz back healthy in 2021........they certainly would have.......both were excellent when they played in 2020 but Schwartz retired from injuries and Fisher was a UFA with a blown ACL.  

Austin Reiter.......also a free agent after that SB. 

In the SB they had the infamous killer of SB dreams Mike Remmers at LT.........worst starting LT in SB history?  Probably............. and a then-atrocious 3rd year turnstile named Andrew Wylie at RT.

Nick Allegretti started at LG as well.   I don't know where Wisniewski was........I presume injured........but he was washed in 2020.

The Chiefs kinda' HAD to replace 4 starter one way or another.

Ah I had my years mixed up, that was the year before. Thanks! 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, whorlnut said:

I agree. He seemed like a guy that had no answers. He realized his “vision” of always adding to the defensive line caught up with him in regards to avoiding the offensive line and supporting Allen on the offense. Now he will have to go outside his comfort zone and keep McD off his back on draft day by adding to the offense that he largely neglected. 

Bingo. I wanted to add that Beane looked like a beaten man. Lost searching for answers that likely dont exist and won't rectify the issues. 

It was as depressing and downer of a press conference I've ever seen from him.

Folks, next year is setting up to be a disappointing year. I know many will disagree. Just take off your Bills gear and analyze the Bills situation. 

The Bills aren't going to sniff a Super Bowl. Not gonna happen! I think they struggle to make the playoffs. At best, the team wins a first round playoff game. Maybe that's a success in your mind? 

Truthfully, the path for next year is pretty paved. It's a bumpy and rocky road which is serviceable. Patches won't really be effective. The road needs to be excavated and repaved.

Terry Pegula should seriously consider a total regime change. It's very badly needed. I appreciate the current regime's turn around. They do deserve credit. All good things come to an end. That time is now. Let's not waste more time watching Beane, McD, Dorsey, and Fraizer fail again. 

It's time to turn the corner. Allen needs new blood and an offensive minded regime. Peyton would have been a breath of fresh air. Hard to see Allen not excelling under Sean Peyton or someone like minded. 

Edited by newcam2012
  • Eyeroll 1

11 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

White, Milano and Dawkins are not Beane picks.   He has hit on Josh.  Nothing else.

Yeah I agree. He has only hit on Josh. Tremaine has been decent but still a miss at #16 overall. Beane and his team has been downright awful in the draft. I’m contrast Miami and the Jets are hitting it out of the park outside of their QB picks. 

26 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

Wasn't Beane the GM in 2017 when White, Milano and Dawkins were picked?

Nevermind, just looked it up. He was hired a month after the draft.🤔

Edited by billsbackto81

The Chiefs identify their biggest flaw and go all in on fixing it. 

Alex Smith leads Chiefs to playoffs for third time in four years but they lose to Steelers in playoffs as offense does nothing. 

Offseason fix: Draft future franchise QB Mahomes. 

Alex Smith leads Chiefs to playoffs again, Chiefs offense sputters in 2nd half in another loss. 

Offseason fix: Trade away Smith, insert Mahomes as starting QB.

Mahomes tears it up his rookie season, wins MVP, leads Chiefs to within an OT of Super Bowl, but brutal defense couldn't get a stop and they lose to Pats.

Offseason fix: Fire defensive coordinator Bob Sutton, replace him with Steve Spagnuolo; add veteran defenders Mathieu, Frank Clark.

Chiefs win Super Bowl.

Offseason fix: Nothing to fix. KC tried to bring back everybody from Super Bowl team and pretty much did that.

Chiefs advance to Super Bowl, but lose to Bucs as banged-up OL gets dominated by Bucs. 

Offseason fix: Fix the O-Line. Chiefs trade for Orlando Brown, sign Joe Thuney, draft eventual starters Creed Humphrey and Trey Smith.

Chiefs nearly advance to third straight Super Bowl but blow 18-pt lead in home OT loss to Bengals in AFC title game.

Offseason fix: Once again, there wasn't much to fix, but KC realized they couldn't upgrade their defensive roster without freeing up cap space; ultimately decided to let DB's Ward and Mathieu walk and traded away Tyreek Hill for picks. 

Chiefs win second Super Bowl in four years, helped by eight rookies who all saw significant time, especially on defense; and they were able to reset their cap and get future draft capital to help them build out the future roster.

Offseason fix: Nothing to fix. Spend money to supply Mahomes with more weapons and continue adding depth to roster through the draft. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Obvious answer - Josh Allen. Without him this staff and front office would not have survived.

Mahomes goes down and we likely see chiefs still in playoffs with henne. If Allen goes down we are competing for a top 5 pick. 

Sadly not sure firing them fixes it either unless you have an adequate replacement. The hope is Allen and a little help can get us there. 

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, DCofNC said:

I guess getting a WR like Davis who was 2nd in yards per catch in the 4th Round was horrible. Or Tyler Bass has been a horrible kicker. Dane Jackson hasn't contributed a thing. Greg Rousseau had the same amount of sacks this year as Khalil Mack and Trey Hendrickson who many clamor we should have traded for. 

It's easy to claim we've had horrible drafts but truth is when you really dig and look at stats we haven't. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.