We're on to Cincinnati(Bengals coming to OP). Sunday 1/22 at 3pm. Opening Line Bills -5

Big Turk

11 hours ago, RichRiderBills said:

I thought he was good in that game. Mainly stupid fumbles and turnovers toward the end. 

Honestly, you could argue Defense blew it that game just as easily as 13 seconds.

The defense did blow that game.  Yes, there was a fumble, but each team had 1 TO.

The 2 HOU TD drives that let them take the lead started at the HOU 25 and 26 yd lines.

Obviously it's on the offense too, but it was a total team loss not some kind of offensive meltdown.

Edited by Beck Water

43 minutes ago, Ya Digg? said:

So I’m not denying anything that you’re saying, but I also think part of it is people ignore positives and focus on negatives. It’s why every news broadcast starts with a murder/crime/scandal-negatives bring in viewers. There’s been a ton of pro Bills anti Bengals talk this week as well, but we all get more fired up about “how dare the disrespect the Bills” so that’s what we remember. It’s why there’s so many more comments on here that involve Nick Wright than comments that mention Kyle Brandt and Michael Robinson 

I mean my Tv in the office literally filters through ESPN, FS1, and The Network all day. For every Kyle Brandt there’s a literally the WHOLE PANEL of “get up” on Thursday morning that picked burrow over Allen and the Bengals to win. 

The ONLY negative narrative I’ve seen on the bengals is them missing their OL. The general consensus is that if they had them, they would handle is easily. When burrows struggles last week get brought up they reference last years playoff run as a counter point(even though it was pedestrian as hell).  When Allen’s struggles have gotten brought up his prior 6 playoff games are an afterthought and the top inevitably goes to “can this guy ever play a clean game?”…. It’s honeslty absurd at this point IMO 

Edited by Stank_Nasty
  • Like (+1) 1

I watched Michael Irvin pick the Bills to win the SB on ESPN a couple days ago.

i watched Michael Irvin pick the Bengals to beat the bills on paramount+ yesterday.

Talking head predictions shouldn’t be classified as a prediction, rather content.  That’s all it is.  It’s all nonsense  

Edited by NewEra
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
  • Haha (+1) 3

6 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

I mean my Tv in the office literally filters through ESPN, FS1, and The Network all day. For every Kyle Brandt there’s a literally the WHOLE PANEL of “get up” on Thursday morning that picked burrow over Allen and the Bengals to win. 

The ONLY negative narrative I’ve seen on the bengals is them missing their OL. The general consensus is that if they had them, they would handle is easily. When burrows struggles last week get brought up they reference last years playoff run as a counter point(even though it was pedestrian as hell).  When Allen’s struggles have gotten brought up his prior 6 playoff games are an afterthought and the top inevitably goes to “can this guy ever play a clean game?”…. It’s honeslty absurd at this point IMO 

They are using recent games to reinforce pre-existing narratives, some of which go all the way back to the draft. Allen was inaccurate and struggled to read defenses. Burrow was accurate and a “winner.” Everything they’re saying this week goes back to those initial assessments because there is no bonus in sports talk media for admiring that you were wrong. The continued multi-million dollar per year contract of Skip Bayless proves this point. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

Joe Burrow had 5 passing tds in 4 playoff games last year. It took Josh 7 drives or 51 minutes 23 seconds of game time to throw 5 tds last year. Burrow and the Bengals scored 7 tds & 14 fgs, yes 14, on 42 possessions in last years playoffs. If it was anyone besides him or Mahomes that's all that would be getting talked about, how the qb couldn't get the ball in the endzone and that's why they didn't win the Super Bowl. The offense only averaged 22.75 points a game in those 4 games. Burrow didn't carry the Bengals to the Super Bowl, he was carried there by his kicker(who went 14/14 on fgs) and defense.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

Joe Burrow had 5 passing tds in 4 playoff games last year. It took Josh 7 drives or 51 minutes 23 seconds of game time to throw 5 tds last year. Burrow and the Bengals scored 7 tds & 14 fgs, yes 14, on 42 possessions in last years playoffs. If it was anyone besides him or Mahomes that's all that would be getting talked about, how the qb couldn't get the ball in the endzone and that's why they didn't win the Super Bowl. The offense only averaged 22.75 points a game in those 4 games. Burrow didn't carry the Bengals to the Super Bowl, he was carried there by his kicker(who went 14/14 on fgs) and defense.

But he smokes cigars and wears Gucci.

• Haha (+1) 3

All the talk...all the buildup. I just want to get out on the f**king field and settle it there. I'm tired of hearing about how this team has no chance or that team can't do this...

The game will likely not play out in the way most people think.

I feel confident the Bills will win but I am also having a nervous energy because I don't want this season to be over either...

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

Just now, FrenchConnection said:

But he smokes cigars and wears Gucci.

Yeah, I guess. His very average showing in the playoffs continued last week also. 206 yards and 1 td and bailed out by his defense. He's been bailed out by his defense, kicker or the refs in every playoff he's won. 6 tds now in 5 career playoff games. Yup that screams top 2 qb alright.

15 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

I think Simms is trying to spark a fire under Gabe Davis's arse subliminally to help out "his boy Blue".

LOL where does the "subliminal" part come into it?

13 minutes ago, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

Yeah, I guess. His very average showing in the playoffs continued last week also. 206 yards and 1 td and bailed out by his defense. He's been bailed out by his defense, kicker or the refs in every playoff he's won. 6 tds now in 5 career playoff games. Yup that screams top 2 qb alright.

Joe Burrow has made some legitimate elite big-boy throws in the playoffs.  I don't want to dunk on him at all.  He's very talented, but even talented QB get shut down at times by strong D.  One could argue the Bills got "bailed out" by our D, not last year but in the 2020 playoffs especially vs. the Ravens.

I think we get fed up at times because of the media narratives.  There are a bunch of football fans who hop on the bandwagon and start paying attention only during college championships and playoffs and maybe the draft, so the narratives mesh in nicely with that.

Edited by Beck Water

32 minutes ago, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

Anyone who watched the Bengals in the playoffs last year knew the kicker and defense bailed out Burrow in their wins.

50 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

The defense did blow that game.  Yes, there was a fumble, but each team had 1 TO.

The 2 HOU TD drives that let them take the lead started at the HOU 25 and 26 yd lines.

Obviously it's on the offense too, but it was a total team loss not some kind of offensive meltdown.

The inexplicable missed 3rd and long sack on Watson that allowed him to hit I believe Taiwan Jones for like 40 yards still burns in my mind...

2 hours ago, SCBills said:

I loved how Peter Shrager, in picking Cincy, pulled the “no one believes in them” card … meanwhile, it’s been a Cincinnati love-fest all week with random Josh Allen hit pieces on the daily.  

The more I think about it, the more I think we come out and win this going away.  

Our secondary is much better than it was a month ago and Cincy is now down 3 OL.  If our Defense can’t put out a strong performance with all that, then Beane really needs to decide whether all this defensive investment is worth it. 

Meanwhile, I’m very much ready for Josh Allen to shut some of these people up.  It’s just comical right now, some of these hot takes. 

Bills have the All-Time best home field playoff record. 13-1. Win percentage of .929. Maybe they should have talked more about that.

Patriots have the second best homefield playoff record.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

LOL where does the "subliminal" part come into it?

Joe Burrow has made some legitimate elite big-boy throws in the playoffs.  I don't want to dunk on him at all.  He's very talented, but even talented QB get shut down at times by strong D.  One could argue the Bills got "bailed out" by our D, not last year but in the 2020 playoffs especially vs. the Ravens.

I think we get fed up at times because of the media narratives.  There are a bunch of football fans who hop on the bandwagon and start paying attention only during college championships and playoffs and maybe the draft, so the narratives mesh in nicely with that.

He's averaged 1.2 tds a game, in now 5 playoff games. That's almost equivalent to a third of a season's worth of games. Spread out over a season that would only be 20 tds. He's led his offense to an average of 22.4 ppg.during that span. That's with the best trio at WR in the game. He's been nothing more than a game manager so far in his postseason career.

Watched the highlights of last week’s Cincy game and was pretty unimpressed with Burrow and the Bengals offense. Maybe it was the strategy, but they were very conservative and weren’t really pushing it downfield.

Also gave the ball back to the Ravens with 3 minutes left to give them a chance (and they did drive down to the red zone before a holding call killed them). Try giving the ball back to Allen with 3 minutes left and see how that works out for you.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

42 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Talking head predictions shouldn’t be classified as a prediction, rather content.  That’s all it is.  It’s all nonsense  

Exactly...on Around the Horn yesterday, this idiot named Harry Lyles Jr. spent two minutes trashing the Bills, saying Josh Allen turns the ball over too much, Burrow is more reliable, yada yada yada.....then when it came time to pick a winner for the game he picks the Bills...what a fool.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 4

1 minute ago, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

He's averaged 1.2 tds a game, in now 5 playoff games. That's almost equivalent to a third of a season's worth of games. Spread out over a season that would only be 20 tds. He's led his offense to an average of 22.4 ppg.during that span. That's with the best trio at WR in the game. He's been nothing more than a game manager so far in his postseason career.

What people here in Cincinnati say is that none of that matters if the Bengals just keep winning. I want people here to image the scenario if the shoe was on the other foot. They are in year two of being a contender. So, for the Bills its the divisional round last year. Remember the 2020 playoffs? We eked out a win against the Colts in the WC round. Then, we beat the Ravens thanks to a Taron Johnson pick 6 in our own endzone. We should have lost that game. But I don't remember any handwringing about the close win. No, we were on a run of good fortune. Now, we all know what happened the following week in KC. The Bengals had a similar run last year, where they won the their first playoff game in over 30 years in the WC round and then got tipped-ball INT to win in Tennessee. But then they went into Arrowhead and won. It seems to the team and the fans that they cannot lose in the AFC playoffs. And yeah, they lost the Super Bowl but only by 3 points. Most people here attribute this to Joe Burrow being a "winner," because the stats and the eye test tells you that the Bengals should be losing these games. 

41 minutes ago, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

Not for nothing but last year doesn’t matter. I think the reason the Bills aren’t picked as much as the Bengals is simple. The Bills offense wins ball games in strange and often different ways, they turnover the ball more than the other big teams, they look erratic at times. The bengals are traditional. What makes the Bills really dangerous is Josh. Until he wins a SB I don’t think he’ll get the recognition he truly deserves. Hopefully that’s this February 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

8 minutes ago, AlfaBill said:

Not for nothing but last year doesn’t matter. I think the reason the Bills aren’t picked as much as the Bengals is simple. The Bills offense wins ball games in strange and often different ways, they turnover the ball more than the other big teams, they look erratic at times. The bengals are traditional. What makes the Bills really dangerous is Josh. Until he wins a SB I don’t think he’ll get the recognition he truly deserves. Hopefully that’s this February 

Help me understand the meaning of the phrase "not for nothing." Tasker and Chris Brown use it ALL THE TIME and I can't wrap my head around what it's supposed to mean because the context never seems to make sense. In this case, you say, "Not for nothing but last year doesn't matter." Aren't these two statements contradictory?

3 minutes ago, AlfaBill said:

I only bring up last year because for the last 2 weeks all anyone has heard is yeah but Burrow led his team to the Super Bowl. He didn't lead anything, he was the one led there by the rest of his team and the refs in 1 game.

Besides who wants a traditional offense these days? I would say the top 2 offenses in the league are not a traditional offense. Me,  personally, I would want the offense who scores more points, which the Bills do. Also traditionally good traditional teams run the ball well, Cincy is really bad at that.

22 minutes ago, DapperCam said:

Watched the highlights of last week’s Cincy game and was pretty unimpressed with Burrow and the Bengals offense. Maybe it was the strategy, but they were very conservative and weren’t really pushing it downfield.

Also gave the ball back to the Ravens with 3 minutes left to give them a chance (and they did drive down to the red zone before a holding call killed them). Try giving the ball back to Allen with 3 minutes left and see how that works out for you.

According to one Cincy poster, @Caesar, it's on Taylor because he becomes very conservative with his playcalling with pretty much any lead.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

According to one Cincy poster, @Caesar, it's on Taylor because he becomes very conservative with his playcalling with pretty much any lead.

Baltimore is the type of team that gives the Bengals trouble; we are exactly the opposite so any hope that last week's bad performance carries to our game is probably unlikely.

THREE starting OLmen being out, though, should help.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

Baltimore is the type of team that gives the Bengals trouble; we are exactly the opposite so any hope that last week's bad performance carries to our game is probably unlikely.

And what type of team is that? Against the Bengals, the Ravens play cover 2 or soft man coverage. In the last game, their nickel corner played over 95% of the snaps. Here's Joe Burrow after the Monday Night loss in Baltimore earlier this year:

"They were taking away all of our deep shots. Even when they were playing man, they were playing pretty soft, high hip, I thought for the most part," Burrow said. "They did a good job of making us check it down and making us have these long 12 – 15 play drives.”

That's exactly what the Bills do all the time. Much like with the Steelers, Terrell Suggs is not walking through that door.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

Help me understand the meaning of the phrase "not for nothing." Tasker and Chris Brown use it ALL THE TIME and I can't wrap my head around what it's supposed to mean because the context never seems to make sense. In this case, you say, "Not for nothing but last year doesn't matter." Aren't these two statements contradictory?

Its a way to emphasize something happened for good reason.  My ex boss use to say it all the time and it drove me up a wall.

30 minutes ago, AlfaBill said:

The bills are getting picked by ‘experts’ substantially more than the bengals in this one.  It’s just one specific ESPN show that went the other way with it.  65% of the expert picks are on the bills 

8 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

So it’s unlikely that the Bengals play bad 2 games in a row but if I’m understanding you correctly it Hank god they have 3 linemen out otherwise the Bills would definitely play 2 bad games in a row? I’ll tell you what I’ll still take it! The Bills “bad” game still got 34 points on offense and they gave up roughly 250 yards on defense-works for me!

Just now, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

The bills are getting picked by ‘experts’ substantially more than the bengals in this one.  It’s just one specific ESPN show that went the other way with it.  65% of the expert picks are on the bills 

And three of the four MMQB writers.

2 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

This is interesting. I’ve thought for several months that the Bills offense under Dorsey has gotten predictable, and only because Josh is able to perform feats of strength do they continue winning.  I hope Dorsey is self scouting these tendencies and becomes less predictable.  

(Assuming this dude’s breakdown is legit)

8 minutes ago, Ya Digg? said:

So it’s unlikely that the Bengals play bad 2 games in a row but if I’m understanding you correctly it Hank god they have 3 linemen out otherwise the Bills would definitely play 2 bad games in a row? I’ll tell you what I’ll still take it! The Bills “bad” game still got 34 points on offense and they gave up roughly 250 yards on defense-works for me!

The Bengals are a "meh" team in the playoffs. Were all last year, and look the same this year. 

5 minutes ago, Dan said:

This is interesting. I’ve thought for several months that the Bills offense under Dorsey has gotten predictable, and only because Josh is able to perform feats of strength do they continue winning.  I hope Dorsey is self scouting these tendencies and becomes less predictable.  

(Assuming this dude’s breakdown is legit)

And they still scored 34 points and left a bunch of points on the field with the Dolphins doing all this.

That should tell you all you need to know as to just how special Allen is as a player.

• Agree 1

40 minutes ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

It means what I’m about to say has a meaning. What I say, I say with a purpose or ‘not for nothing’

38 minutes ago, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

I only bring up last year because for the last 2 weeks all anyone has heard is yeah but Burrow led his team to the Super Bowl. He didn't lead anything, he was the one led there by the rest of his team and the refs in 1 game.

Besides who wants a traditional offense these days? I would say the top 2 offenses in the league are not a traditional offense. Me,  personally, I would want the offense who scores more points, which the Bills do. Also traditionally good traditional teams run the ball well, Cincy is really bad at that.

I do not disagree however in a perfect world Josh would be aggressive and also careful when need be. 😎

20 minutes ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

I see equal parts Bills and Bengals. It is a pick ‘em game for sure. I just watched the NFL preview and 5 picked the Bills, 5 picked the Cats. All picked a close game. 

3 hours ago, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

They don't have the RB to pull it off either. There's nothing to be scared of Mixon, who has averaged only 3.9 yards a carry this year. He anchors the worst rushing attack in the playoffs. The Bengals average the least amount of rushing yards per game and yards per carry of any team left.

Everyone goes crazy because Mixon went 154 for 4TDs and another 58 and 1 receiving against Carolina Week 9. 

Which was like 20% of his total production all year 😂

55 minutes ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

I have always understood it to mean something a long the lines of "there's good reason: e.g. "Not for nothing, the Bills rely heavily on their QB."  Not sure it works quite that way, though, in the sentence you quote.

• Agree 2