Will DeAndre Hopkins be available this offseason?

NeverOutNick

1 hour ago, KzooMike said:

It's all well intentioned. Miller grew up in the NBA player recruitment era. We are starting to see more of that in the NFL. Guys talking about getting together and building a super team. The Rams were the best example. I think Von really wants this. Perhaps it has some elements of attention seeking. Maybe he wants people to know he was part recruiting process. Again, I think it's well intentioned and I like that our players are trying to get other players interested. It's exciting to have a team which seems to have been the total opposite of that for 20+ years being somewhere players want to go to win.  

You’ll note that I didn’t say anything about his intentions. I’m quite sure they’re good. But speaking as a guy who ran a major corporation, I can tell you it can be frustrating when employees, even really valuable ones, start getting out ahead of the front office.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Billz4ever said:

His no-trade clause was voided, so I don't think where he wants to play has a lot of weight if a team comes along with an offer AZ likes.

Teams with more picks will typically be more willing to part with some of them.  The Chiefs have 10 to our 6, which include two 4ths, two 6ths, and two 7ths.  The Chiefs lost JJSS and Hardman, so they have a need and have the draft capital.

His "no trade clause" is the $19M+ cap hit to the acquiring team in 2023.

Sure.........a team could try to force him to play for them but they gotta' eat that WHOLE cap hit as well...........because you can't re-work his contract in any regard without his consent.

It's very simple.........he is not going to be traded anywhere that he does not want to play.

Kansas City might well be in play but as I said..........why would they think they need him to put them over the hump?    They just won the SB.    If the Bills were the defending champion I don't think they'd be in the market either.

9 hours ago, Einstein's Dog said:

There is a path to being able to afford DHop.  That was get Poyer at a discount, let Edmunds walk, and trade Oliver.  It is still a possibility.

DHop is in the discussion because he would improve the team immediately.  There is more than one way to improve a team, and this route is still possible.  It would also make the Bills an incredibly exciting team to watch.

I still think it's possible to trade Gabe and 91 to the Cardinals for Dhop.  You can still try to target Wright @ 27 and maybe Mingo @ 59?  And yes salary will have to be juggled.

9 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

You’ll note that I didn’t say anything about his intentions. I’m quite sure they’re good. But speaking as a guy who ran a major corporation, I can tell you it can be frustrating when employees, even really valuable ones, start getting out ahead of the front office.

Is this the poster formerly known as Dunkirk Don?

5 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

I still think it's possible to trade Gabe and 91 to the Cardinals for Dhop.  You can still try to target Wright @ 27 and maybe Mingo @ 59?  And yes salary will have to be juggled.

I’m pretty sure Beane doesn’t base his plans around random people on web boards that made Davis and Oliver the team villains five minutes after the ink dried Edmunds Bears contract.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

I’m pretty sure Beane doesn’t base his plans around random people on web boards that made Davis and Oliver the team villains five minutes after the ink dried Edmunds Bears contract.

Oliver & Davis were villians all season based on their own production on the field

• Disagree 2
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

IF AZ agrees to eat some $$ like what happened with Cooks and Robinson:

AZ receives:  #27, 2024 3rd
BUF receives: DHop (50% retained), #34

Is this just another random guess?  Here’s mine:

Arizona receives:  No players or picks from Buffalo.  A free birthday party at Chuck E Cheese with unlimited game tokens and pizza for their GM and HC.

Buffalo receives: A definitive press release in writing from Arizona stating that Hopkins will not be traded to Buffalo or released by Arizona.

This board gets:  The end of this ridiculous thread.  Maybe.  But I’m pretty sure you’ll work out a scenario where Arizona trades him to the Texans for a fifth and we get him from the Texans for a 6th and some additional Chuck E Cheese parties.

• Haha (+1) 2

1 minute ago, 4merper4mer said:

Is this just another random guess?  Here’s mine:

Arizona receives:  No players or picks from Buffalo.  A free birthday party at Chuck E Cheese with unlimited game tokens and pizza for their GM and HC.

Buffalo receives: A definitive press release in writing from Arizona stating that Hopkins will not be traded to Buffalo or released by Arizona.

This board gets:  The end of this ridiculous thread.  Maybe.  But I’m pretty sure you’ll work out a scenario where Arizona trades him to the Texans for a fifth and we get him from the Texans for a 6th and some additional Chuck E Cheese parties.

If this is such a ridiculous thread, why are you spending your time posting in here.

Some of us would like to enjoy thinking about it and different scenarios.

If that triggers you, you're free to post in other threads.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

8 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

If this is such a ridiculous thread, why are you spending your time posting in here.

Some of us would like to enjoy thinking about it and different scenarios.

If that triggers you, you're free to post in other threads.

Chuck E Cheese trade scenario is at least as likely as yours.

• Eyeroll 2
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

I just don't see a path on how the Bills afford him?

Spotrac shows $6M in cap space, and -$17M in cap space in 2024. 

Unless, we start cutting or trading some of the bigger contracts on the team? 

Morse? Tre' White? 

I tend to agree.  It is true Beane could move the cap hit around this year to sign DHop.  The issue becomes next season.

Your numbers are correct (add $4M or so for Bass's cap hit) but that is realistically for only 35 or so players with a lot of UFAs who

need to be re-signed or replaced.

I would be shocked if it happened and would show Beane is all in this season with a pretty good reset for 2024.  I just don't see that as the plan.

7 hours ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Morse? Tre' White? 

Lol is Tre White the post Davis/Oliver villain?

10 hours ago, TheFunPolice said:

Every team does not need a black uniform!

Cardinals colors are red and white. Same with SF: red and gold and white. 

Black has always been a complimentary color in their color scheme.  No black on those terrible red unis or the white.  Seems gray has replaced it.  Black unis are yawn these days bc everyone wants one for some reason.

18 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Gabe Davis is not being traded. 

First of all, he's on the last year of his contract. Teams aren't giving up a Day 2 pick on someone that may or may not be there the following year. This only happens when the team trading for him knows they can sign them long-term. 

And even then, it doesn't get done unless the trading team knows they can't afford their price tag and is resigned to not re-signing them. And I don't see that situation here. Beane has spoken of wanting to re-sign him after this season.

He had a disappointing year last season. But he produced at a high level as the #3 option. Enough that they thought he deserved a shot as a #2. Even if they believed he failed there (or fans do), it doesn't make sense that someone who performed as a high #3 should be cut or traded because he wasn't a great #2. 

Also, you're suggesting we trade Gabe, our 2nd, and our 3rd for Hopkins and Mingo. That would be using both of our Day 2 Picks on WR. With the holes we have, upgrades needed to be made, and next year considerations at MLB, OL, TE, and DT - we can't use a 2nd and a 3rd at one position. Especially if we already have Diggs and Hopkins in the fold.

Gabe Davis will be here this season. Alongside Stefon Diggs and either a 1st/2nd Round Pick or DeAndre Hopkins. But not both and certainly not without Gabe as well.

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

11 hours ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Morse? Tre' White? 

The way is to get the Cardinals to pay most of his salary this year.    

Like Houston and LA Rams just did to move Cooks and Robinson.  

Next year is all unguaranteed money for whoever trades for Hopkins so you just release him or re-work his deal.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

The way is to get the Cardinals to pay most of his salary this year.    

Like Houston and LA Rams just did to move Cooks and Robinson.  

Next year is all unguaranteed money for whoever trades for Hopkins so you just release him or re-work his deal.

The reported asking price has been a "Christian McCaffrey type trade package" while also being a salary dump.

Getting him for less than that AND expecting them to eat the salary on top of it is a BIG ask.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

The reported asking price has been a "Christian McCaffrey type trade package" while also being a salary dump.

Getting him for less than that AND expecting them to eat the salary on top of it is a BIG ask.

And the reported belief is that the rest of the league thinks they will release him and get nothing at all in return.   Remember,  McCaffrey being cut was not a consideration.

If they want something for him they will have to eat money.    Nobody that Hopkins will be willing to be traded to is giving up anything and then taking on a 2023 $19M+ cap hit right now or re-working his deal after the fact when they have no leverage to do so.    

Personally..........I think he gets cut.   In which case the Bills would be out because he's going to get in excess of $15M per year and they aren't going to commit long term to Hopkins and that would be needed to re-structure his deal to fit under the cap in 2023 and 2024.  

But trading a draft pick purely for cap space has happened before.   Brock Osweiler to Cleveland. 

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

And the reported belief is that the rest of the league thinks they will release him and get nothing at all in return.   Remember,  McCaffrey being cut was not a consideration.

If they want something for him they will have to eat money.    Nobody that Hopkins will be willing to be traded to is giving up anything and then taking on a 2023 $19M+ cap hit right now or re-working his deal after the fact when they have no leverage to do so.    

Personally..........I think he gets cut.   In which case the Bills would be out because he's going to get in excess of $15M per year and they aren't going to commit long term to Hopkins and that would be needed to re-structure his deal to fit under the cap in 2023 and 2024.  

But trading a draft pick purely for cap space has happened before.   Brock Osweiler to Cleveland. 

I don't think the Bills would be out on him if he was cut. The Cards would still be on the hook for a large portion of his next contract. I also believe we have contracts we could extend or players cut etc in order to get Hopkins  a fair market value with the right contract wording. 

12 minutes ago, dje85 said:

I don't think the Bills would be out on him if he was cut. The Cards would still be on the hook for a large portion of his next contract. I also believe we have contracts we could extend or players cut etc in order to get Hopkins  a fair market value with the right contract wording. 

Ed Oliver would have to go, that would clear 10+ mill. Hopkins brings much more to the table than ED to use a big cap hit on

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Pirate Angel said:

Ed Oliver would have to go, that would clear 10+ mill. Hopkins brings much more to the table than ED to use a big cap hit on

Oliver would still have to be replaced, so you probably spend an early pick on DT if that is the plan.