Will DeAndre Hopkins be available this offseason?

NeverOutNick

7 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

I think if we don't hear anything following the league meetings, it's probably not happening or at least not until the Draft or after. Seems Arizona is content on waiting until they get the offer they want.

or hop is waiting for what he wants 

Just now, akcash said:

Does Hopkins have any control where hea traded?

Likely requires a contract restructure, so yes, the team acquiring him will want that all worked out in advance. 

He definitely has control over where he is dealt. 

38 minutes ago, mrags said:

What sucks even more is that Allen severely under threw the ball. Davis had multiple steps on Gardner until the ball was already coming down. If that ball is in front of Gabe not only is it likely a catch, it’s a TD. 

Josh really regressed in that this year imo. His rookie year he was under throwing guys. The last few years he got it under control until this year. He did it way too much for my liking. Maybe it was the arm injury, or maybe he took a step back, maybe it was Daboll was gone. Idk. But it was definitely a thing this year. 

It was the furthest thrown pass since NexGen put tracking technology in the football… 69.4 yards in the air. That’s 6 years worth of throws in the NFL. 

I just don’t think you can make the argument the ball was under thrown when it’s the furthest thrown ball on record. He’s also rolling to his left lol

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, mrags said:

What sucks even more is that Allen severely under threw the ball. Davis had multiple steps on Gardner until the ball was already coming down. If that ball is in front of Gabe not only is it likely a catch, it’s a TD. 

Josh really regressed in that this year imo. His rookie year he was under throwing guys. The last few years he got it under control until this year. He did it way too much for my liking. Maybe it was the arm injury, or maybe he took a step back, maybe it was Daboll was gone. Idk. But it was definitely a thing this year. 

Horrible take.  Not only was the ball thrown 70 yards but it hit Davis in the chest. Anyone who claims that pass was "severely under thrown" can't be serious and must be trolling.

26 minutes ago, mrags said:

also, I’d the partial UCL tear was a worry, then maybe he should have taken a safer thrown underneath considering they only needed 21 yards on that play. Not 70. And he just had the arm injury happen a few plays before that apparently, so the excuse that throwing deeper was easier on his arm isn’t acceptable 

So Allen should have checked down on a 4th and 21?  Are you freaking serious?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

1 minute ago, CincyBillsFan said:

Horrible take.  Not only was the ball thrown 70 yards but it hit Davis in the chest. Anyone who claims that pass was "severely under thrown" can't be serious and must be trolling.

Not to mention it likely being one of, if not THE longest pass thrown in NFL history.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, mrags said:

And don’t deny that. That wasn’t the question. The comment originally was that DHop would have came down with it. I simply stated that if the throw was where it was supposed to be, it likely would have been a TD. Davis had multiple steps on Gardner.

I don't know if it would have or not, but there were times throughout the season Josh threw passes right in his hands that Gabe dropped. So I wouldn't say it "likely" would have been caught for a TD considering he had butter fingers far too much all season

50 minutes ago, mrags said:

*rEgrESsion*

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, mrags said:

And don’t deny that. That wasn’t the question. The comment originally was that DHop would have came down with it. I simply stated that if the throw was where it was supposed to be, it likely would have been a TD. Davis had multiple steps on Gardner. 

also, I’d the partial UCL tear was a worry, then maybe he should have taken a safer thrown underneath considering they only needed 21 yards on that play. Not 70. And he just had the arm injury happen a few plays before that apparently, so the excuse that throwing deeper was easier on his arm isn’t acceptable 

Hasn’t there been some documentation that the longer throws were easier because of the injury and that’s the reason why Josh Allen was pushing it down the field some thing about arm angles

I mean, don’t get me wrong Josh Allen wants to score a touchdown on every play. It’s one of the reasons why we actually love him.

• Agree 1

52 minutes ago, mrags said:

You must have been watching a different QB's rookie season then Allen because his problem wasn't under throwing guys it was over throwing them.

• Agree 1

10 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

or hop is waiting for what he wants 

I don't think Hopkins is holding anything up. Seems to be all on Arizona's end. Today I've seen three things that point to this -

This video from a Bills Beat Reporter in Rochester stating the people he's asked have said that we're interested "at the right price". If it were the right price right now, it would be consummated:

This article from Bleacher Report stating Arizona is waiting for leverage over needy teams - which they wouldn't be saying if the offers they were getting met their demands:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10069916-report-cardinals-broncos-waiting-for-leverage-in-deandre-hopkins-jerry-jeudy-trade

And lastly, the most recent thing, a tweet from a KC beat reporter saying KC is out as is the rest of the league. Which reads to me like teams started calling over the past couple days, but didn't like what Arizona was asking:

5 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Hasn’t there been some documentation that the longer throws were easier because of the injury and that’s the reason why Josh Allen was pushing it down the field some thing about arm angles

I mean, don’t get me wrong Josh Allen wants to score a touchdown on every play. It’s one of the reasons why we actually love him.

And on that play at the snap it was 4th & 21 at the Bills 14 yard line with 33 seconds left and no timeouts.  Allen's only rational choice was to push the ball way downfield.  Davis simply didn't make a play on a spectacular throw.

It was similar to the Bills/Bengals playoff game where late in the 3rd quarter, down 24 - 10 and on 3rd & 2 Allen threw another great ball 50 yards in which Davis again couldn't make the catch. At that point in the game making the 1st down with a 5 yard throw to Beasley was not going to get us back in the game.  Davis making that catch would have though.

• Thank you (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, mrags said:

Compared to where Davis was, it was underthrown. Davis had to slow down and let the ball come to him. If it’s in front of him it’s likely a catch and a TD. 

im not saying it wasn’t a deep throw. Of course it was. But it wasn’t where it needed to be. It was about 5 yards short 

Have you talked to Brandon Beane apparently about trying out for QB since you can clearly throw 70 yards on the run like Allen can so that it is an easier catch for Gabe 

• Eyeroll 1

2 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

😂 Nice, this literally made me laugh, touché 😂  

But you ain’t lying…like 20-30 pages of the same people debating the same things from the first 80 pages while we all scour for any kind of tweet or rumor of new info lol

But this time @NiagaraHighSchoolFan posted something. Tomorrow maybe we here from @SUNYBrockportEagles!

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, mrags said:

Josh didn't underthrow the ball... that ball was at the limit of his range for his body position.

The problem is that he threw the ball too late.

Had Josh thrown it earlier Davis wouldn't have had to wait for it and would have maintained separation/caught the ball in stride.

• Disagree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Yes. But he hardly knew that a few plays after it happened. 

45 minutes ago, Doc said:

In that game, didn't Gabe drop a TD a play or two before Josh injured his UCL?

I don't think so, no.  There was an 18 yd completion to Davis, the strip sack/injury recovered by Ryan Bates, an incompletion to Diggs that fell short, then the throw to Davis.

36 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

So Allen should have checked down on a 4th and 21?  Are you freaking serious?

Not just 4th and 21, but 4th and 21 from our own 14 yd line with 33 seconds left in the game, and no timeouts left for the Bills.

Completing a nice 21 yd pass to get us to our own 35 yd line would not have gotten us too much.

the ball hit gabe davis right in his extended  left hand and deflected straight down thru his bread basket and to the ground. id call it a drop. 

sauce gardner coverage was so tight that gabes right hand/arm was hindered trying to raise it up and never got it on the ball.

with all the hand checking, gabe never jumped up to high point the ball.

gabe had a mediocre season but supposedly played thru a high ankle sprain most of year.

hope he takes advantage of his opputunities....i feel like one of the new WR's or shakir will outplay him

6 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

I also believe it was a fourth down and forever, unless I was mistaken

4th and 21. And he had plenty of options between 15 and 70 yards. It wasn’t his only throw 

• Disagree 1

19 minutes ago, Sierra Foothills said:

Josh didn't underthrow the ball... that ball was at the limit of his range for his body position.

Had Josh thrown it earlier Davis wouldn't have had to wait for it and would have maintained separation/caught the ball in stride.

He was literally scrambling to avoid the middle of the pocket collapsing so sorry he wasn’t able to throw it earlier like you wanted 

• Like (+1) 2

18 minutes ago, Sierra Foothills said:

Allen was under pressure and moving outside the pocket.  And I suspect that Davis was near the first down marker in his initial route and didn't break for the end zone until Allen broke away to his left. Throwing from his left is not as easy as throwing from his right and IMO Allen released that ball as fast as he could and still make an accurate throw hitting Davis in the chest 70 yards down field.  There are only 2 or 3 other QB's in the NFL who could have hoped to make that throw.

16 minutes ago, Sierra Foothills said:

Maybe, I feel that I'm not alone in saying that I recall yelling "Dammit Gabe wtf, catch the damn ball" quite a few times during the season....

However I will say it does seem like he dropped more of those intermediate kinda of passes and was better on the longer passes. But anyways...

51 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

I don't think Hopkins is holding anything up. Seems to be all on Arizona's end. Today I've seen three things that point to this -

This video from a Bills Beat Reporter in Rochester stating the people he's asked have said that we're interested "at the right price". If it were the right price right now, it would be consummated:

This article from Bleacher Report stating Arizona is waiting for leverage over needy teams - which they wouldn't be saying if the offers they were getting met their demands:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10069916-report-cardinals-broncos-waiting-for-leverage-in-deandre-hopkins-jerry-jeudy-trade

And lastly, the most recent thing, a tweet from a KC beat reporter saying KC is out as is the rest of the league. Which reads to me like teams started calling over the past couple days, but didn't like what Arizona was asking:

Both of these were posted like 10 pages ago

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, sven233 said:

I get not wanting to mortgage the future.  I really do.

The stupid thing is that this move really wouldn't even mortgage the future. We're not the Rams trading away every high pick we have several years in a row. We're talking about at most a 2nd round pick in a weak draft class and maybe a couple salary dumps of our own. That's not mortgaging the future. The 2nd round pick in my eyes is meaningless. The salary cap is going to explode in the next couple years so I'm not remotely worried about that part of it either. We all know the trade is possible. The ways of getting the cap space necessary to bring Hopkins in have been discussed ad nauseum. Beane just has to pull the trigger.

What I don't get about Beane's apparent reluctance to just make a move is that the first time he did it, trading a 1st round pick for Diggs, it was unquestionably a great move. It took us from wildcard contender to the landslide divisional favorite. Did that trade mortgage the future? No. You'd think such a wild success the first time around would encourage him to do it again when we're so close to being championship caliber.

Maybe we're just playing a game of chicken and waiting for the Cardinals GM to fold closer to the draft. If that's the case I'm obviously fine with it. I just hope Beane hasn't drawn a hard line in the sand for the three available WR upgrades. Lose the game of chicken if that's what it takes. Because if we're sitting here next January talking about how a critical Gabe Davis drop cost us the #1 seed, or another playoff game, I don't know what argument there would be for Beane to keep his job at that point.

Edited by HappyDays
  • Like (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, Playoffs? said:

Come on Beane!!!  Give your franchise QB what he needs.  And for the love of God, don’t let the Chiefs beat you in the offseason. 

This times a million. I feel like I’m talking to a wall in here, so glad there are others like you that understand it. Why is this so hard? Just do it, even if we have to compromise to AZ’s demands. There is no solid reason why we can’t make this work. 

7 minutes ago, ndirish1978 said:

Both of these were posted like 10 pages ago

Yes, I'm aware. I posted the original video. I was simply compiling all 3 that came out today as the most recent info - all of which pointing to Arizona's asking price being untenable at the moment and it not being an issue with Hopkins himself.

Edited by BillsFanForever19

I mean why are we even playing these silly argumentative value games? If AZ is asking for a 2nd rounder, do it, make it a 2024 if you have to. Just do it. If we don’t land Hopkins, who is realistically available to be had at roughly the same talent level? OBJ? Jeudy? All of them are going to take cap hits and maybe even some picks (Jeudy). I’d rather have Hopkins anyways, because he has a higher double team rate per snap. He’s also never play along side a talent like Diggs, and OBJ has (Kupp) and he still couldn’t breakout. 

It’s Hopkins or Bust, just make it happen, nobody is going to care about some draft pick when we win a super bowl this year. 

Edited by IronMaidenBills
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, IronMaidenBills said:

I mean why are we even playing these silly argumentative value games? If AZ is asking for a 2nd rounder, do it, make it a 2024 if you have to. Just do it. If we don’t land Hopkins, who is realistically available to be had at roughly the same talent level? OBJ? Jeudy? All of them are going to take cap hits and maybe even some picks (Jeudy). I’d rather have Hopkins anyways, because he has a higher double team rate per snap. He’s also never play aside a talent like Diggs, and OBJ has (Krupp) and he still couldn’t breakout. 

It’s Hopkins or Bust, just make it happen, nobody is going to care about some draft pick when we win a super bowl this year. 

I think it's a mix of both, compensation and the fact that the team trading for him wants them to eat about half of his salary and the Cardinals are refusing

Just now, Buffalo03 said:

I think it's a mix of both, compensation and the fact that the team trading for him wants them to eat about half of his salary and the Cardinals are refusing

Even if AZ won’t eat the salary, we should still do it. Make room if we have too, we can, I’ve played around with cap numbers. It would likely mean moving on from Oliver and a few more restructures but it’s doable. There is no one else that is realistically to be had of Hopkins caliber. Who is going to care if we have to cut a bunch of people in 2024 if we don’t have room for any more restructures if we win a super bowl this season? Nobody.