Will DeAndre Hopkins be available this offseason?

NeverOutNick

5 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Oliver is a good player just not up to his draft selection. He is a starter which is a hit.

groot has been one of the top edge centers in the NFL. He is a hit.

Basham isn’t looking good

Epenesa if he actually played more and didn’t play in a rotation would probably project out to more sacks

would you like to see more superstars given the amount of clout that’s been used yes

That doesn’t make them unsuccessful drafts

Among many other picks, I think the Bernard selection will weigh heavy on his success as a GM. It's also why I suspect there is a decent chance that Bernard is the answer, like it or not, to the Edmunds question. Spending a day two pick at LB when at the time of the selection you have to be thinking there is a very real chance you will have a void at MLB the following draft, that player has to be in the plans for starting in year 2. 

• Eyeroll 1

Just now, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

Among many other picks, I think the Bernard selection will weigh heavy on his success as a GM. It's also why I suspect there is a decent chance that Bernard is the answer, like it or not, to the Edmunds question. Spending a day two pick at LB when at the time of the selection you have to be thinking there is a very real chance you will have a void at MLB the following draft, that player has to be in the plans for starting in year 2. 

Bernard could work in our Defense, but I'm not sure how it works when we are in base nickel AND have Ed Oliver as a starting DT.   

Move Oliver and have a rotation of big dudes in the middle and it makes much more sense. 

12 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

Free Agent WR???

Yeah that is what got me searching for Cut news.  He wasnt Cut still would be a trade at this point.

and if we are talking Trade.  I would prefer Juedy

Edited by MAJBobby

25 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

Everyone always says this. But my view has always been different. It goes up for all teams. Not just the Bills. Meaning no matter how much higher it goes up we maintain the same percentage of available cap space compared to all other teams. Players cost more and Bills get out bid for the ones they can't afford. 

The agents know the cap goes up so they are going to get more money for their clients. 

Except that the cap situation for all teams doesn't stay static.  Teams which have great cap situations with rookie QB and a couple WR on cheap deals, have to pay them. 

17 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

Free Agent WR???

It's a mistake - a pretty big one.  He's still under contract to the Cardinals, it would be a trade.

19 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Bernard could work in our Defense, but I'm not sure how it works when we are in base nickel AND have Ed Oliver as a starting DT.   

Move Oliver and have a rotation of big dudes in the middle and it makes much more sense. 

The DT rotation we had in 2023 was not as successful at penetrating and pressuring the QB as most would like, but they were pretty successful at keeping the OTs off the LB so they could do their LB thing.

The main issue I saw with Bernard from his limited game is that he seemed to understand where he should be most of the time (he had a handful of mistakes), and get there most of the time, but he couldn't close the deal and make the tackle once he got there.  He got trucked.

Upside: Hopkins is still a top 8-12 WR even though he’s lost a little speed. He’s rarely “open” but will usually catch anything and everything near him. Ideal jump ball guy. He’d definitely help curtail Allen’s inaccuracy.

Downside: Age, contract, trade compensation, and potential leadership and locker room issues (this coming from PX media). I don’t put much stock into the PED thing (other than his comical “don’t call it a comeback” hype video when he returned).

PX media has Cardinals asking for a 2nd at least. A trade will also require a new contract/re-structuring and possibly the Cardinals eating some salary.

Edited by Airseven
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 2

33 minutes ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

Now THAT would make FA a success, IMO.

It's crazy to say but one move or lack thereof will be the difference between this offseason being by far the best of the Josh Allen era or being underwhelming. Get OBJ, Jeudy, or Hopkins and I don't even care what positions we take in the draft. Fail to do that and we are still lagging behind in the offensive arms race.

Edited by HappyDays

Fwiw, a trade for Hopkins, or a signing of OBJ, would still align with Beane's outward profession of love for Gabe Davis.   

Neither signing would preclude Buffalo from signing Gabe long term if they can come to an agreement at some point.  Hopkins or OBJ would likely be worked out to be a 2-3 year contract, and Gabe's cap hits could be structured accordingly. 

That's why Hopkins, OBJ or a draft pick would seem to align more with Beane's comments re: Gabe.   A trade for Jeudy would be the one move that likely signals that the Bills inwardly have moved off of him as a long term piece. 

14 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Except that the cap situation for all teams doesn't stay static.  Teams which have great cap situations with rookie QB and a couple WR on cheap deals, have to pay them. 

Right. But it's funny because fans of those teams will say " but the cap is going up so we are good !" as if it helps and matters. 

8 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

There is one of 20 ways to make this trade work

If I'm Brandon Beane I'm making that move in a heartbeat, if it's available.  Then you're free to draft your DT of the future.  

How could you say no to that? 

• Awesome! (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

They’d have to trade Oliver. I don’t think they will.

He’s simply saying he’s best fit.

He's not going to mention that unless there's a good possibility. He won't want to look foolish.

We wouldn't have to trade Ed to make it work, but obviously it would be helpful  and Ed seems to want out anyway 

1 minute ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

He's not going to mention that unless there's a good possibility. He won't want to look foolish.

We wouldn't have to trade Ed to make it work, but obviously it would be helpful  and Ed seems to want out anyway 

Where are you hearing that?

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, FrenchConnection said:

Where are you hearing that?

His IG he posted a song with lyrics of a break up basically  and a pic of himself getting a sack with laughing emoji's

And his deleted post a few weeks ago about showing him the $$$ 

Edited by Warriorspikes51

12 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

They’d have to trade Oliver. I don’t think they will.

He’s simply saying he’s best fit.

Daniel Jeremiah is somewhat plugged in.  Yea, it's clickbaity, but guys like him don't just pull stuff out of thin air.  

3 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

His IG he posted a song with lyrics of a break up basically  and a pic of himself getting a sack with laughing emoji's

And his deleted post a few weeks ago about showing him the $$$ 

Ummmm why wasn’t a thread started!?

Missed opportunity 🤦‍♂️

1 minute ago, FrenchConnection said:

I mean it makes a lot of sense. He wants an extension and Beane seems to be in no rush to extend him.

And Beane shouldn't be, honestly. He was a very high pick that has not been nearly consistent enough or dominant enough, and I think he's started to run out of excuses as to why. 

He's a solid, good player, but not the superstar that we drafted him to be.  Good teams don't pay solid players like superstars. 

• Like (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, Airseven said:

Upside: Hopkins is still a top 8-12 WR even though he’s lost a little speed. He’s rarely “open” but will usually catch anything and everything near him. Ideal jump ball guy. He’d definitely help curtail Allen’s inaccuracy.

Downside: Age, contract, trade compensation, and potential leadership and locker room issues (this coming from PX media). I don’t put much stock into the PED thing (other than his comical “don’t call it a comeback” hype video when he returned).

PX media has Cardinals asking for a 2nd at least. A trade will also require a new contract/re-structuring and possibly the Cardinals eating some salary.

Why do you always just make things up?  He's rarely "open"???  Might as well tell me you did not watch him play without actually saying you did not watch him play.

He gets open all the time with ease and he is a top 7 WR without question right now.  He played with Murray for 5 games and 2nd and 3rd stringers for 4 games...and yet if you project those 9 games over the full season he would have had 120 rec for almost 1400 yards...again, playing half his time with scrub QB's with little else around him on a bad team.  

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, Royale with Cheese said:

What is the over/under on the percentage of posters that are going to think this guys personal opinion on the best place for Hopkins to play is somehow a rumor showing the Bills are trying to get Hopkins here?  

I'm gonna say 72%

And I will take the over.  

Don't get me wrong, I would love to land Hopkins...but this is a dude talking on TV about where he thinks is the best fit for TV.  It has nothing to do on whether or not the Bills are actually working on this.  

5 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Why do you always just make things up?  He's rarely "open"???  Might as well tell me you did not watch him play without actually saying you did not watch him play.

He gets open all the time with ease and he is a top 7 WR without question right now.  He played with Murray for 5 games and 2nd and 3rd stringers for 4 games...and yet if you project those 9 games over the full season he would have had 120 rec for almost 1400 yards...again, playing half his time with scrub QB's with little else around him on a bad team.  

Parks And Recreation Lol GIF by Amy Poehler's Smart Girls

• Haha (+1) 1