Will DeAndre Hopkins be available this offseason?

NeverOutNick

49 minutes ago, ALLinALLEN said:

I really like Jeudy for this....given all the chaos in DEN (and trade rumors).

I think Jeudy would be a good #2 here for the right price. The only thing that worries me a little is his durability.  He seems to be somewhat injury prone (missed 7 games last season and 2 games this season).

He had 67 catches for just under 1K yards and 6 tds in 15 games this year.

He also just got fined for bumping a ref after losing his cool for a holding no-call in the game against KC, but he did apologize and say he was in the wrong. 

Edited by Billz4ever

42 minutes ago, Billz4ever said:

I think Jeudy would be a good #2 here for the right price. The only thing that worries me a little is his durability.  He seems to be somewhat injury prone (missed 7 games last season and 2 games this season).

He had 67 catches for just under 1K yards and 6 tds in 15 games this year.

He also just got fined for bumping a ref after losing his cool for a holding no-call in the game against KC, but he did apologize and say he was in the wrong. 

Yeah I get the injury thing for sure (but I wouldnt want to suit up this year for that denver team even if I had a papercut). 

If we're talking about landing a guy the same way and with high potential as we did Diggs, you're going to need situations like Jeudy's. Disgruntled player, poor team performance, no real direction, coaching change. Much like Diggs IMO, where we could get Jeudy for a good price and have him breakout.

1 minute ago, ALLinALLEN said:

Yeah I get the injury thing for sure (but I wouldnt want to suit up this year for that denver team even if I had a papercut). 

If we're talking about landing a guy the same way and with high potential as we did Diggs, you're going to need situations like Jeudy's. Disgruntled player, poor team performance, no real direction, coaching change. Much like Diggs IMO, where we could get Jeudy for a good price and have him breakout.

For the right price, count me in. Unless Davis dazzles in the playoffs, I've seen enough to know he's not a real WR2 in this offense.

16 minutes ago, Billz4ever said:

For the right price, count me in. Unless Davis dazzles in the playoffs, I've seen enough to know he's not a real WR2 in this offense.

Davis dazzled last postseason too, was just not a consistent threat given WR2 reps all year. Need something more reliable. a super bowl ring with 4 games of over 80 yards and some TD's might change that for me though haha

5 minutes ago, ALLinALLEN said:

Davis dazzled last postseason too, was just not a consistent threat given WR2 reps all year. Need something more reliable. a super bowl ring with 4 games of over 80 yards and some TD's might change that for me though haha

Yeah, the playoffs this year are his last shot with me.  If he can't turn it on now, he never does.  Probably the biggest performance disappointment this year give the expectations going in.

The KC game last year was incredible, but looking back on it, his TDs were more a result of just great vision and throws by Josh vs Davis making great catches.  Josh was playing on a completely different level that game.

Edited by Billz4ever
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, NewEra said:

Replacing Poyer or Edmunds with a mid round pick shouldn’t be so detrimental……

How about we take Edmunds out of this defense and plug in Bernard.  Then think about what you said.  Sure, it might not be so detrimental…..but it could implode the entire difference if we don’t hit on the player.  

I agree with the last part-  if they chose to go all in on 17 and giving him the best of everything, I can get behind that.  I just don’t expect that to happen.

Bernard is terrible. No way should he even sniff the field for next year. Edmunds will be a priority sign and Beane has clearly talked him up for quite awhile now. He is only gonna be 25 with lots of solid football to play. I'd be shocked if the Bills didn't get a deal done. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

Bernard is terrible. No way should he even sniff the field for next year. Edmunds will be a priority sign and Beane has clearly talked him up for quite awhile now. He is only gonna be 25 with lots of solid football to play. I'd be shocked if the Bills didn't get a deal done. 

My comment was in response to another poster saying that we can just replace starters with mid round players.  Bernard was my example of how that could blow up in our faces.  As a rookie 3rd rd pick, he fits the criteria in the post I was responding to.  He wasn’t ready. 

That said, I won’t pretend to know if he can play next year.  I’d give him the offseason before deciding that for sure.  Another camp, additional weight/strength, knowledge of the system can have an impact on the product you saw this year.  Milano got better each and every year.  Maybe Bernard will too.  Right now is not the time to make a decision on whether or not he can contribute next year.  You like to label others prediction posts as ridiculous…. your Bernard post is ridiculous.  You’re saying that he can’t improve enough to sniff the field.  Nonsense.  

I agree, I think McB wants to retain Maine…… but it’ll be up to him and his agent to decide that imo.  If he wants 16-17aav maybe he’ll stay.  I dunno if we pay him more than that

Could franchise tag also be an option? Anyone know what his franchise tag cap hit would be?  Would the edge rusher LBs jack the cap hit or are they separate now?  Is Joey Bosa a LB?  TJ Watt?  Mack?  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

My comment was in response to another poster saying that we can just replace starters with mid round players.  Bernard was my example of how that could blow up in our faces.  As a rookie 3rd rd pick, he fits the criteria in the post I was responding to.  He wasn’t ready. 

That said, I won’t pretend to know if he can play next year.  I’d give him the offseason before deciding that for sure.  Another camp, additional weight/strength, knowledge of the system can have an impact on the product you saw this year.  Milano got better each and every year.  Maybe Bernard will too.  Right now is not the time to make a decision on whether or not he can contribute next year.  You like to label others prediction posts as ridiculous…. your Bernard post is ridiculous.  You’re saying that he can’t improve enough to sniff the field.  Nonsense.  

I agree, I think McB wants to retain Maine…… but it’ll be up to him and his agent to decide that imo.  If he wants 16-17aav maybe he’ll stay.  I dunno if we pay him more than that

Could franchise tag also be an option? Anyone know what his franchise tag cap hit would be?  Would the edge rusher LBs jack the cap hit or are they separate now?  Is Joey Bosa a LB?  TJ Watt?  Mack?  

It was pretty ridiculous. Perhaps, it's a reaction to the pick. Hated it live and nothing indicates it was a good pick now. Of course, he can improve. He has a lot of improving to do. 

Edited by newcam2012
  • Like (+1) 1

On 1/11/2023 at 5:43 PM, Thurman#1 said:

You act as if there's a chance of this. 

I mean, it's not flat-out impossible, but it isn't the type of deal they do for many reasons, money, picks, and not enough balls for both guys. His age. The probability he'd be a very expensive rental, which they don't give valuable picks for. Likelihood extremely low.

It's fun to imagine, so there's that.

I really just dont get the not enough balls for one guy. Theyre not 90s RBs. Theres more than enough for these guys to share just like other teams have.

$$ and picks is a problem, itll never happen, but that other problem is self imagined

33 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

It was pretty ridiculous. Perhaps, it's a reaction to the pick. Hated it live and nothing indicates it was a good pick now. Of course, he can improve. He has a lot of improving to do. 

💯 

Last year we missed out on Von Miller. This year we missed out on Christian McCaffrey. Both players transformed their respective teams. Just once I think we can afford to overpay for a difference maker. The more I think about it the more I want Beane to make it happen even if the price looks silly.

10 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Last year we missed out on Von Miller. This year we missed out on Christian McCaffrey. Both players transformed their respective teams. Just once I think we can afford to overpay for a difference maker. The more I think about it the more I want Beane to make it happen even if the price looks silly.

I think a lot rides on how this season unfolds. If the O get stifled and a season ending loss, I could see a big move

12 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I think a lot rides on how this season unfolds. If the O get stifled and a season ending loss, I could see a big move

Even if they don't, why not make the move anyways? True difference makers are hard to come by. Beane has been incredibly patient about using his draft picks and cap space. What's the point of all that patience if you don't cash in every once in a while?

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Even if they don't, why not make the move anyways? True difference makers are hard to come by. Beane has been incredibly patient about using his draft picks and cap space. What's the point of all that patience if you don't cash in every once in a while?

Because if we win this year, it could be because guys like Edmunds, Poyer, Oliver, Davis step up and take their game up a notch.  They might just want to keep the guys we have and run it back while drafting a WR in rd 1 and keep the picks for OL or a different position.  They’d have proven they have a built a championship roster and won the SB without von Miller.   If we win the SB, I don’t want to go crazy with a huge asset turnover.  Trading for hopkins would change our roster dramatically.  If it doesn’t  change it dramatically, then we’d have mortgaged a boatload of cap down the road.  Just doesn’t seem to be the move after winning our first SB.  

jmo

Regarding the bolded-  if we win the SB this year we’d have already cashed in.  

• Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Trading for hopkins would change our roster dramatically.  If it doesn’t  change it dramatically, then we’d have mortgaged a boatload of cap down the road.

I'm not so sure of this. The cap is going to start going up dramatically in '24/'25. That's when the league will have recouped their 2021 losses and the new TV deals and gambling money will be kicking in. I think we could easily pay 2 of Edmunds, Poyer, and Oliver, and still overpay for Hopkins without sacrificing much if any of our future. Allen and others can be restructured. I don't want us to become the Rams but we could afford to make one big overpriced move IMO. When you have a QB with the biggest arm in the league you can easily rationalize overpaying for a WR with Hopkins' skill set.

Edited by HappyDays