Will DeAndre Hopkins be available this offseason?

NeverOutNick

9 hours ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Draft a relatively cheaper WR. They can produce almost instantly.  We need young speed. Hopkins is still great but way too expensive.

We need a legit WR2. Whether that comes from trade or FA, I think they need an upgrade since Davis just isn't getting it done.

16 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Diggs signing off on this would be necessary. We don't want an ego battle. Once this deal is done maybe we can coax JJ out of retirement for a 2 year deal to pair on the other side with Von. Rotate Groot as the 3rd DE.  Then draft OL heavy.  Guys come out of retirement all the time?

Yeah... Maybe we could coax Jeff Saturday to come replace Morse seeing that the coaching stint didn't pan out😎

We need to draft a top WR that can be cost controlled for 4 to 5 years, and eventually become a #1. Look at our salary cap situation..

We are really close to next years cap and we don't have 51, we have 39 players signed... Costly FA vets are going to be very few this offseason unless we purge a lot of our own vets.

This offseason going to give us some bitter pills to swallow IMO

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/cap/

Edited by ddaryl

43 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Why not? Rookie WRs taken high in the draft produce early. Davis is not going anywhere. He is still under contract for next season. 

There were 6 WRs taken in the top 18 picks last year.  What receiver are you thinking we get that's immediately WR2 material in this offense?

Edited by Billz4ever
  • Agree 1

17 hours ago, D. L. Hot-Flamethrower said:

I think it would be the perfect offseason move for the Bills! Imagine what we'd be like this year if we had him. Ouch

he was suspended and injured much of the season so not sure how much he would have helped

38 minutes ago, MJS said:

Good name. I also look at Jakobi Meyers and think he could be a lot better in a real offense with a real QB throwing to him. He is also a free agent.

Agreed. There aren’t too many great WR FA’s next year. There are a few intriguing options though:

Meyers

Chark

Lazard

These are the top 3 in my opinion. And of those id want Chark the most due to his explosiveness. 

But then we have some intriguing options from the NYG:

Slayton

Richie James Jr

Neither of them should break the bank. I doubt both of them leave NYG but something to monitor. 

Im still waiting for our Shakir to take hold. The little he’s been used you can tell the guy’s awareness and in-game speed is real. He could be big for us next year. 

• Like (+1) 1

Whatever they do, whether it's through the draft, free agency, or trade, we need to be constantly reminded we are in our window NOW and it's not going to be this way forever.

Davis is not the guy at WR2 IMO and is more of a WR3 given his numbers and especially given how much we throw the ball.  His numbers are more on par with Tyler Boyd, Cincy's WR3, than a WR2.  

Can we expect to get a legit WR2 out of the draft considering 6 WRs were already off the board in the first 18 picks in last year's draft?  I see that same trend continuing.  Would we be spending a first-round pick on what's not first-round talent if we take a WR there?  Obviously, we won't know who could potentially fall to later in the first round until draft day, but we need to not use a first-round pick on a WR if it's not first-round talent.  I would rather see them use it on OL there.

Some folks in the thread have made some interesting suggestions that would be worth looking into from free agency.  Whether Beane would consider trading for someone like Hopkins and what that would cost remains to be seen.  

OBJ is still out there too, even though I think that train has already left the station.

Edited by Billz4ever

3 hours ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

A rookie.  You expect a rookie MLB to come in and not lose anything on the field.  Good luck there.   He could be available when the Bills pick likely barring a SB appearance.  One of the scouting reports I read on him said this:

There may be a lag in development before we see his best version in the pros but I would expect Simpson is a plus starter in due time

Doesn't sound like expecting him to be the starter him next year will help the team.

Who knows they may have to this way if they don't resign Edmunds, but not sure it helps them all that much short term.

It will absolutely help the team. He's an upgrade in every respect except size, and he does things Edmunds can't do. He's tailor-made fit for what we need to execute our defense. When you combine him with a HOF WR on the other side, their combined contribution should easily equal or eclipse the value of just more Edmunds. Watch him play.

11 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

It will absolutely help the team. He's an upgrade in every respect except size, and he does things Edmunds can't do. He's tailor-made fit for what we need to execute our defense. When you combine him with a HOF WR on the other side, their combined contribution should easily equal or eclipse the value of just more Edmunds. Watch him play.

Simpson ranks as the #3 prospect at inside backer. What makes anyone think he'd still be there by the time we're up? Supposedly he has a 40-inch vertical and runs a 4.4 at 6' 3" and 225 lbs. I'd be shocked if he was still on the board at the end of the first round.   

Our biggest needs going into this draft are WR and OL.  We need to get serious about getting the face of the franchise the protection and weapons he needs instead of crossing our fingers and hoping for the best with an average O-Line and guys like Davis at WR2.

If we are trying to get a legit WR2, we may have to look at FA or trade given our draft position, but who knows.

Edited by Billz4ever

19 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

My thing is opportunity cost.  There’s only so much cap money.   Spend a huge chunk on WRs and there’s nothing left for other position groups.

As much as I like Hopkins, I don’t think we can afford two high priced wideouts. It may not be as sexy, but I’d rather invest in an OL upgrade. 

Yup. This.

It's not how they operate, and that's a good thing.

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

Don't doubt long term could be better, but would worry me if would help or hurt in 2023.

36 minutes ago, Billz4ever said:

Whatever they do, whether it's through the draft, free agency, or trade, we need to be constantly reminded we are in our window NOW and it's not going to be this way forever.

We are in our window now, and it's not going to last forever. You're dead right on this. It's only going to last the next probably 12 - 15 years, up till Allen starts serious regression. 

We really don't need reminders. I don't think many are forgetting.

4 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Don't doubt long term could be better, but would worry me if would help or hurt in 2023.

like Any rookie there would be ups and downs. I imagine there would be mental mistakes, but his ferocious hitting, run defense, pass rush ability and coverage skills would likely compensate.

12 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

You saw what our class of WRs did this year outside of Diggs... that's a really low bar for a top drafted WR to overcome IMO