Roquan $mith agrees to deal with Ravens - highest paid LB in NFL history

Big Blitz

Tag Edmunds and let him walk after 2023.  Can't afford this kind of money for a guy that can't even defend the run.  I've been all over the map with Edmunds.  He started the year really well but has regressed badly again.  I keep him on the tag for one more year while they shore up the OL, WR, and S spots this off-season.  If they can get Wagner on the cheap I'd be fine if Edmunds walked this offseason. But I would not let Edmunds walk only to have to use a first round pick in 2023 draft on a MLB.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Tag Edmunds and let him walk after 2023.  Can't afford this kind of money for a guy that can't even defend the run.  I've been all over the map with Edmunds.  He started the year really well but has regressed badly again.  I keep him on the tag for one more year while they shore up the OL, WR, and S spots this off-season.  If they can get Wagner on the cheap I'd be fine if Edmunds walked this offseason. But I would not let Edmunds walk only to have to use a first round pick in 2023 draft on a MLB.  

Edmunds was one of the two-three best players on the field vs. NE. He was also terrific vs. Chicago. 

Edited by dave mcbride

1 hour ago, Matt_In_NH said:

After seeing this, he is probably seeing dollar signs and very very happy

Edmunds bet on himself and I certainly respect that. He’s gonna get paid by some team, but I don’t know that it’ll be the Bills. It’ll probably come down to how crazy another team gets and how much he wants to be here. How the season ends could play a big part too. 

12 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

It doesn't mean he couldn't be moved there after if they think he can fit there.

Cam Lewis came here as a corner.

Good point, and after they realized he wasn’t great at that they buried him of the depth chart and picked up guys form elsewhere to start ahead of him. 

is that the example we’re looking to here? 

42 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

They are gonna likely have to choose between Edmunds and Oliver.  First half of the season I would have given the edge to Oliver, but he's faded down the stretch and Edmunds has stepped up.  I wonder if they can trade Oliver.

Yeah.  The days of Buffalo re-signing all their guys is over this off-season.  It won't be like the 2006 off-season when Fletcher and Clements were allowed to go for nothing, but everyone will need to acclimate to more contributors departing.  And not because they were cheap as in RW's later years.

They've kicked the can down the road that the bill coming due means, to your other post, that pro personnel and amateur scouting needs to be better.  

For now it's the playoffs and I'll be content with watching the games...but this off-season there'd better be a realignment of priorities. 

• Like (+1) 1

If you are the Ravens, how did a player representing himself take you to the cleaners. 

1 hour ago, H2o said:

Edmunds has been about as rock solid as you can get this year. He's made more plays closer to the LOS this year. He's been seemingly better in coverage, not getting lost as much. He's blown up plays without making the tackle by forcing ball carriers elsewhere or making the QB chuck a ball when blitzing. Not everything he has done shows up on the stat sheet. But one thing I will note, you could see a clear difference in our defense when he wasn't on the field. I don't know if he gets his contract this year though. I still believe he will be the recipient of a FT and they will see if they can work something out after that. 

Before this year I was in the “let him walk”camp. But this year, this defense was visibly worse without him. Hopefully they can work something out. 

I have a friend who is a lifelong fan of the Bears.  He said Roquan was not having a good season for the Bears.  They got a first round pick for him.  I guess he fits the Ravens better than the Bears, but I'd rather have Edmunds on our team.  I think they will find a way to sign him.  Beane is a wizard at this.  They'll structure deals that kick the can down the road, and the cap will continue to increase.

28 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Good point, and after they realized he wasn’t great at that they buried him of the depth chart and picked up guys form elsewhere to start ahead of him. 

is that the example we’re looking to here? 

I think the team knows that its best man for each position.  I don't know if Milano could play MLB in this system, Keuchly had the same build and speed which is what made me think of this.  

2 hours ago, FrenchConnection said:

I wonder how Lamar feels about this?

Valid question and probably not impressed he didn't get a deal first.  The Lamar situation is going to end poorly.  A little messy.  I don't think he gets a long term deal from the Ravens.

I think that would be better for the Ravens.  Let him play his 5th year.  Franchise him if you have to after that or give him a 3 year deal, but, he probably won't take that.

2 hours ago, Matt_In_NH said:

it is probably more like 75% if you really want him.

So, you think $15 million a year for Edmunds.  I think that has been the number all along.  It may have been slightly less.  Depends on what the cap goes up to.  Can the Bills keep 2 of Poyer, Edmunds and Oliver.

Maybe sign Poyer to a 3 year deal, Edmunds to a big deal and let Oliver walk after his 5th year or franchise tag for a 6th.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Logic said:

I think the choice to re-sign or not re-sign Tremaine Edmunds is THE central decision of the offseason.

It will be the key domino that sets all the other dominos in motion.

If he's re-signed, the Bills will have a pretty frugal offseason elsewhere. If he's not, they'll have a little more room to maneuver and bring in veteran help elsewhere.

Then, of course, there's the massive hole that it would leave in the defense. Whatever you may think about Tremaine, choosing not to re-sign him means losing the defense's quarterback and an emerging leader, and leaving a big roster void at a key position in the McDermott/Frazier defense.

Big, big decision for Brandon Beane.

I agree that Edmunds is or isn't the first block to fall that dictates the other directions.  I think we will sign him.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I think the team knows that its best man for each position.  I don't know if Milano could play MLB in this system, Keuchly had the same build and speed which is what made me think of this.  

Milano is a lot smaller shorter and slower than Luke was… otherwise identical 

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood
  • Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Milano is a lot smaller shorter and slower than Luke was… otherwise identical 

Milano's play speed is very fast.  He's playing at an All Pro level right now because of his sideline to sideline ability.

I thought Keuchly was a smaller and quicker linebacker.  He was actually a good sized one.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Coach Tuesday said:

They are gonna likely have to choose between Edmunds and Oliver.  First half of the season I would have given the edge to Oliver, but he's faded down the stretch and Edmunds has stepped up.  I wonder if they can trade Oliver.

They have the FT to use on Edmunds if need be and Oliver is on his 5th year option next season. I assume you are talking about going into 2024? 

54 minutes ago, Manther said:

So, you think $15 million a year for Edmunds.  I think that has been the number all along.  It may have been slightly less.  Depends on what the cap goes up to.  Can the Bills keep 2 of Poyer, Edmunds and Oliver.

Maybe sign Poyer to a 3 year deal, Edmunds to a big deal and let Oliver walk after his 5th year or franchise tag for a 6th.

Even though he is so controversial, I think I would prioritize Edmunds, then Oliver and Poyer I let Poyer go because of his age and assumed contract demands.  You have to be willing to move on from people even when it hurts.  They need to find the next diamond in the rough at safety.  Before the season I would have picked Oliver as 1, but he has not had a breakout year, he is a decent player who shows up in some games but other games he is invisible.  Not sure what his market is, I would pay medium money for him maybe but not big dollars.

41 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Milano's play speed is very fast.  He's playing at an All Pro level right now because of his sideline to sideline ability.

I thought Keuchly was a smaller and quicker linebacker.  He was actually a good sized one.

yeah 6’3” 240 almost AJ Klein sized but could move. 4.5 speed… he’s a lot more like Edmunds than Milano imo, despite the ire that statement will draw 

37 minutes ago, H2o said:

They have the FT to use on Edmunds if need be and Oliver is on his 5th year option next season. I assume you are talking about going into 2024? 

Correct, but for cap planning purposes I think they have to make the call now - I mean I suppose they could franchise Edmunds and kick the decision down the road but I'd be very surprised if they're wiling to do that.

If Edmunds feels he's worth somewhere in the $16 to $18 million a year range based on this, I would rather use that money on O-lineman.

Not saying Edmunds doesn't help our D; he does. But we have very limited cap space and need to make hard decisions as to what part of the team needs to be maintained or fortified and which part can go without. 

I don't think a middle linebacker in today's game is worth that kind of money when you're pushed against the cap and have glaring weaknesses on offense, especially protecting your quarter-billion-dollar QB.

7 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Correct, but for cap planning purposes I think they have to make the call now - I mean I suppose they could franchise Edmunds and kick the decision down the road but I'd be very surprised if they're wiling to do that.

One thing to keep in mind is that the cap is likely to go WAY up. Bear in mind that it went down in the covid year and the league has had a banner year revenue wise this year. It's expected to go up by $15 million or so: https://www.nfl.com/news/salary-cap-for-2023-nfl-season-could-exceed-220-million-but-questions-remain .

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

yeah 6’3” 240 almost AJ Klein sized but could move. 4.5 speed… he’s a lot more like Edmunds than Milano imo, despite the ire that statement will draw 

Kuechly was taller [6-3 to 6-0], faster[4.58 - 4.67], stronger [27 reps vs. 24] than Cookie.  Kuechly averaged over 9 tackles per game for his career, vs. <6 for Milano.

Beane usually out in front of these type of things...makes me think we are not resigning Edmunds.

2 hours ago, BearNorth said:

Kuechly was taller [6-3 to 6-0], faster[4.58 - 4.67], stronger [27 reps vs. 24] than Cookie.  Kuechly averaged over 9 tackles per game for his career, vs. <6 for Milano.

Kuechly was basically the best parts of Milano and Edmunds combined into one with none of the weaknesses 

Edited by Big Turk

4 hours ago, Manther said:

Valid question and probably not impressed he didn't get a deal first.  The Lamar situation is going to end poorly.  A little messy.  I don't think he gets a long term deal from the Ravens.

I think that would be better for the Ravens.  Let him play his 5th year.  Franchise him if you have to after that or give him a 3 year deal, but, he probably won't take that.

Who says he will play under a franchise tag? If he's essentially holding out now using a knee injury, he will play strongarm tactics and force the Ravens to trade him. That Roquan Smith deal was a MESSAGE directly to Lamar. Messy is an understatement!

Not paying Poyer to me is the only big negative move I have seen OBD make so far.

6 hours ago, gobills404 said:

Congrats on waking up from your coma 🙏

Not appropriate.

Edited by EasternOHBillsFan

Why would Lamar be upset they signed Roquan long term?.. He’s the one who said no in-season contract negotiations.  

Im not sure why the Ravens should be giving the “Watson contract” to a guy that hasn’t finished (as of now) the last two seasons… and hasn’t performed at an elite level in the playoffs. 

His only shot is to go to a team like NYJ, with a lot of young talent, that can pay him elite franchise QB $$$ and have a stacked roster around him.  QB6 in the AFC is going to need an elite roster to compete with the 5 AFC QB’s better than him (Allen, Mahomes, Burrow, Herbert, Lawrence). 

26 minutes ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

Who says he will play under a franchise tag? If he's essentially holding out now using a knee injury, he will play strongarm tactics and force the Ravens to trade him. That Roquan Smith deal was a MESSAGE directly to Lamar. Messy is an understatement!

It will be interesting what happens, agreed on messy being an understatement.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.