NFL Week #18 - Patriots* @ Bills - Post Game Thread

BuffaloBill

1 minute ago, RunTheBall said:

The problem with Davis and his drops/lack of toe drag/unable to make contested catches is not just the drop itself but the opportunity cost. Give those targets to someone else and you are making more positive plays. I’m not ready to bail at all, he’s on a cheap contract next year. Hopefully he has a monster playoff, you go to war with the army you have and he’s been integral all season even though he hasn’t capitalized on the opportunities.

For the life of me I can’t understand why Shakir isn’t more involved. He’s out there a lot and Josh never looks his way. He also completely ignores Cook who’s wide open all the time on the outlet. If he just starts taking Cook in the flat a few times a game it will open up everything in the middle. I don’t get it except I guess you have to accept Aggressive Josh if you want to get Super Josh

Davis is not as bad as many here are saying.  TSW is the land of over-reaction and "what have you done for me lately".   Sure, he has had too many drops this year but he has had some great catches too.  He has made catches on contested balls, he has done the toe drag - this criticism is just piling on.  He is what he is.  He is more of a 3/4 than a 2 for a team like ours.   

Shakir may end the better of the two, he has to learn to run better routes and get open more than he does.  He needs to work hard this off season, he has the tools.  

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Toledo Bill said:

Agreed, there was at least one play where he absolutely quit. 

Yeah, when you can't do anything more up front than to spy Mac Jones, you're in trouble.

I do give him credit for trying to gut it out though; he knows the D is torn up and was willing to try what he could to help.

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Bob in STL said:

Davis is not as bad as many here are saying.  TSW is the land of over-reaction and "what have you done for me lately".   Sure, he has had too many drops this year but he has had some great catches too.  He has made catches on contested balls, he has done the toe drag - this criticism is just piling on.  He is what he is.  He is more of a 3/4 than a 2 for a team like ours.   

Shakir may end the better of the two, he has to learn to run better routes and get open more than he does.  He needs to work hard this off season, he has the tools.  

I disagree Bob. I’m a Davis fan and I’m hoping he gets it and soon. I know his stats are solid. It’s clear Josh still trusts him since he keeps throwing him the ball. Situationally, Davis has regressed. When’s the last time you said “Wow that was a great catch at a great time”.  More often than not it seems he’s coming up short and killing drives or leaving points on the board. Maybe I’m discounting some plays he’s made I just can’t remember many. I’m not at all giving up on him and hopefully he turns into Playoff Gabe but I don’t think it’s piling on to say he’s not playing as good as he could be. 

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

It sure is. Hopefully he’s first when he’s done playing … with a much bigger number than what’s there now. I’m assuming it’s Pete Metzellaars

Just looked it up, Metzellars had 25 TD's in 156 games with the Bills. 

Dawson Knox has 20 TD's in 47 games. 

• Shocked 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, Buffalo Ballin said:

Love the win. 13 wins for any NFL team in any season is a big mark to hit. 13 wins means that our team is one of the elites for that particular season. And here we are.

Yes, we got the 2nd seed. Oh well. We're damn good.

- Gabe Davis isn't a number 2 receiver. I thought he was. But he proved this year that he's not. Maybe he's just an All Pro during the Playoffs. Robert Horry, of NBA fame, is like this. In the regular season, Robert Horry sucks. He coasts. But in the playoffs, he turns it up. Maybe that's what Gabe Davis is.

- Our secondary will get lit up in the playoffs. Best we can do is get picks and deflections.

- We KNOW how to beat Miami. They already threw their best punch a few weeks ago and we won. We gonna be alright.

- We're destined to meet Cincinnati in the playoffs. Maaan that's gonna be an explosive mega battle. I'm happy that this match up takes place in Buffalo (if it happens).

Agree with everything. I'd add our pass rush is a real problem. Our 4 DT's got owned today. Josh cannot have anymore redzone int's here on out. Great trade for Hines. Keep getting better 3.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, daz28 said:

Gabes only 23.  Even if we used a late #1 on a WR, there's little chance he comes in and gets 900yds and 8TD's.  I'm definitely not giving up on him.  

Well said.

Look, I'm as frustrated with Gabe as the rest of us.  But I'm simply not ready to throw the towel in with him.  

I know I may be in rare company, and some of you may highly disagree with me, but I'm of the mindset to keep him exactly where he is as our starting WR2, and hope that Josh continues to throw his way.  I would love to see him work through this "funk" he's in.  If you look at his numbers, I think you could make a fair argument that he is doing an "okay" job as the #2.  Obviously his numbers could be significantly better, but I still think he has the chance to be a HIGHLY productive WR.  I like what another poster said in that they would like to just hit the button to get "Playoff Gabe".

Edited by smuvtalker
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

1 hour ago, muppy said:

there is imo a lot to unpack after this game. The special teams plays of Nyheim Hines was spectacular.

The INT's were all HUGE atta boy Tre White and Matt Milano and Edmunds too

The defense did have some holes up the gut in running plays and the line lacked pressure at times

#17 came thorugh with the spectaculat throw to #14 for TD That was beautiful

and my Boy Dawson Knox IMO had a very respectable game.😍

haha Bring on the FISHIES

Odd thing when watching the body language of Allen and our offense. How relaxed Allen was walking in and out of the huddle...

Just seems like they did not take NE seriously; Like they just knew they could turn it on and win.

Just my take, but it reminded me of how Brady and NE used to act against our Bills.

No matter how desperate the Bills were or how close the game was, NE just had this attitude that they could win it whenever they felt like stepping on the gas.

Hoping this is how the AFC East plays out each year for a very long time - with the Bills on top and the rest fighting to find the backdoor into the post season.

Edited by WideNine
  • Like (+1) 3

7 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Agree with everything. I'd add our pass rush is a real problem. Our 4 DT's got owned today. Josh cannot have anymore redzone int's here on out. Great trade for Hines. Keep getting better 3.

I think one critical thing Frazier needs to do is find the right moments to blitz Edmunds, Milano, Poyer, and Johnson.  We’re down to one true pass rusher in Rousseau and you just need to find opportunities to put your best defenders in the backfield, despite the risk factor.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, smuvtalker said:

Look, I'm as frustrated with Gabe as the rest of us.  But I'm simply not ready to throw the towel in with him.  

Nor am I, but I think sprinkling in some more John Brown might give Gabe the charge he needs to clean things up.

No way can Gabe not know he has had some rough games.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.