Potential decision made for Championship Game location

Ra-cha-cha

18 minutes ago, ArtVandalay said:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/01/06/report-indianapolis-turns-down-nfls-request-to-host-afc-championship-game-if-needed/

Details on Indy turning down offer to host they have a volleyball event starting 30k with 7k hotels booked already

I guess Detroit is probably the next place to be asked.

Someone mentioned Nashville, which would be pretty awesome. I don’t think they will ask any places out west but I could be wrong. I honestly think this game should be played out in the elements. Philly or Baltimore perhaps?

1 hour ago, VaMilBill said:

I guess Detroit is probably the next place to be asked.

Someone mentioned Nashville, which would be pretty awesome. I don’t think they will ask any places out west but I could be wrong. I honestly think this game should be played out in the elements. Philly or Baltimore perhaps?

Detroit is already out, they're tearing up the turf this month & replacing it.  

7 hours ago, Albany,n.y. said:

Chicago perhaps? I’m assuming they want a centralized location between the two teams. But what’s more important, location or a mild climate?

14 minutes ago, VaMilBill said:

Chicago perhaps? I’m assuming they want a centralized location between the two teams. But what’s more important, location or a mild climate?

Too cold… I’d say a balance of both. I like the reports that they’re considering open air stadiums. Carolina should be considered, Atlanta  ( dome) would be fine. Nashville as well. I don’t mind Indy being out of the running, that was probably my least favorite of the options. 

Edited by Boatdrinks

9 minutes ago, major said:

If it comes down to the neutral site, I have a feeling it will be at Jerry World (AT&T stadium in Arlington) 

There’s a chance that the Cowboys may have a game to play there that day as well, so I doubt it. 

If the game comes down to a neutral site the NFL will play in a warm weather city.  No way the NFL lets cold or snow affect this game. Snow storm in the mid west or northeast and the teams can’t make it in would crush the NFL’s schedule and pockets. They don’t care if fans can attend games all the money is in commercials. New Orleans, Houston, LA, and Vegas would be my guesses .

17 minutes ago, BRH said:

There’s a chance that the Cowboys may have a game to play there that day as well, so I doubt it. 

I know. But Jerry is always about making an extra $. I could see the nfc championship game there at noon followed by afc championship game there at 7pm

Places we can probably rule out

New England (may be in playoffs)

New York (in playoffs)

Philadelphia (in playoffs)

Baltimore (may be in playoffs)

Cleveland (too cold)

Pittsburgh (too cold)

Washington (league would never reward Snyder)

Green Bay (in playoffs)

Chicago (too cold)

Cincinnati (in playoffs)

Detroit (unavailable)

Indianapolis (unavailable)

Tennessee (may be in playoffs)

Tampa (in playoffs)

Jacksonville (may be in playoffs)

Miami (may be in playoffs)

Dallas (in playoffs)

Minnesota (in playoffs)

Denver (high altitude, too close to KC)

Arizona (getting ready for SB)

Vegas (too far west)

LA (too far west)

SF (too far west)

Seattle (too far west)

What’s Left

Atlanta

Carolina

Houston

New Orleans

It’ll be one of these four.  Carolina is the only open-air alternative.

1 minute ago, major said:

I know. But Jerry is always about making an extra $. I could see the nfc championship game there at noon followed by afc championship game there at 7pm

No way.  Can’t get the end zones repainted in time, and getting everyone out and back in again (including the teams) would be too much of a hassle.

2 minutes ago, TFBillsfan said:

If it plays out, I’d lean Nashville (if they are eliminated) and Atlanta as the likely destinations.

I feel like they need to select a site soon to allow teams and fans to start making contingent travel plans, as well as to iron out the millions of details that need to be attended to.  So I don’t think they’ll wait to see who’s eliminated during the postseason.  They may wait til after the weekend to see what’s available, but not much longer than that. 

Atlanta or possibly Houston seem like the likely candidates tbh.  Carolina’s and New Orleans’ stadiums aren’t state of the art and the league will want to put one of its best venues on display. 

Edited by BRH

10 hours ago, Albany,n.y. said:

All things considered (travel, stadium, availability, experience and capability of hosting a huge event, hotels, etc.), it seems to me Atlanta is the place. They can start preparing now.

1 hour ago, CSBill said:

All things considered (travel, stadium, availability, experience and capability of hosting a huge event, hotels, etc.), it seems to me Atlanta is the place. They can start preparing now.

Atlanta hosts neutral site bowl games all the time. Plenty of hotels and restaurants. Stadium is beautiful. 

14 hours ago, billsfanmiamioh said:

Nashville, Carolina, and Atlanta all seem like logical choices. 

Atlanta makes sense to me.  They're in the other conference so the local fans aren't necessarily wired to hate either team involved in the game, making it a true "neutral" site assuming some locals would go; big city that has hosted big events in the past and has all that you need to host; weather for game is guaranteed to be good.

2 hours ago, BRH said:

New York (in playoffs)

Cleveland (too cold)

Pittsburgh (too cold)

Green Bay (in playoffs)

Chicago (too cold)

Cincinnati (in playoffs)

Detroit (unavailable)

Tampa (in playoffs)

Dallas (in playoffs)

Minnesota (in playoffs)

Vegas (too far west)

LA (too far west)

SF (too far west)

Seattle (too far west)

What’s Left

Atlanta

Carolina

Houston

New Orleans

No way.  Can’t get the end zones repainted in time, and getting everyone out and back in again (including the teams) would be too much of a hassle.

Seriously you put in the research and I appreciate it. That being said let it be ATL and I will be driving up there.

• Thank you (+1) 1

I imagine every indoor/dome stadium will be at the top of the list then it would go to warm weather cities

Is it possible to run games at a stadium on back to back nights? Would the field be too beat up? Say nfc championship Sunday/Monday then the afc championship the other day? With a week off between championship games and super bowl the day difference wouldn't be the biggest deal 

4 hours ago, BRH said:

New York (in playoffs)

Cleveland (too cold)

Pittsburgh (too cold)

Green Bay (in playoffs)

Chicago (too cold)

Cincinnati (in playoffs)

Detroit (unavailable)

Tampa (in playoffs)

Dallas (in playoffs)

Minnesota (in playoffs)

Vegas (too far west)

LA (too far west)

SF (too far west)

Seattle (too far west)

What’s Left

Atlanta

Carolina

Houston

New Orleans

Carolina would basically be home field for the Bills. I choose that one.

Edited by JDubya76
  • Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, BRH said:

New York (in playoffs)

Cleveland (too cold)

Pittsburgh (too cold)

Green Bay (in playoffs)

Chicago (too cold)

Cincinnati (in playoffs)

Detroit (unavailable)

Tampa (in playoffs)

Dallas (in playoffs)

Minnesota (in playoffs)

Vegas (too far west)

LA (too far west)

SF (too far west)

Seattle (too far west)

What’s Left

Atlanta

Carolina

Houston

New Orleans

Cinci and Buffalo are both cold weather teams and KC is somewhat lol what does cold wweather matter?

8 minutes ago, Jeffbigalls said:

Kansas City somewhat, lol, more they are. The weather in the Midwest is brutal in the winter

Avg high temp in KC is 39 in Jan and 44 in Feb... that's why i say somewhat. They get cold weather but it's not like the northeast or northern USA.

No reason to remove a place like Pittsburgh. 

35 minutes ago, ArtVandalay said:

Avg high temp in KC is 39 in Jan and 44 in Feb... that's why i say somewhat. They get cold weather but it's not like the northeast or northern USA.

No reason to remove a place like Pittsburgh. 

I've lived in wny for 2 decades, I've lived in Maine for 2 decades and I spent a winter in Missouri 

Wny blows them both out in terms.of amount of snow but the , but outside of the 1998 ice storm that hit Maine and left us without power for 3 weeks , the time in Missouri was by far the coldest I've experienced. The wind chill factor is no joke

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Captain Caveman said:

I saw Pittsburgh named as a likely option

It would be the opposite of "wild".

Also........a full house of fans who all have to travel 3 hours or more to the game and then sit in potentially 0 degree windchill weather is not the recipe for a great experience.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

I’ll keep my hotel reservation for Buffalo for now, but odds are low I’ll need it now.  Looks like KC would need to lose their one playoff game prior to the championship game.

This sucks, we were in control of our destiny and now playing to secure the 2 seed tomorrow.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.