Players retiring ???

Snappysnackcakes

If you’re that player who’s gotten at least one non-rookie contract, do you seriously consider hanging it up after watching what’s gone on this season with Tua and now Damar? (A few others, too)

Not many guys will do this, and I’m not claiming they should, but how can a fella not think about this when they self-evaluate after the season? Wives, parents, and, hopefully, agents need to have these conversations. We’re not at the same risk level as Bering Sea fishing, but it is not sustainable. 

Poyer? Dude, your body is breaking down. Micah? Walk away while you can. Mitch? Same. Saffold? Do you really need the extra $3mil? I could say something about half of our team alone. 

Guys may start really thinking about getting in and getting out with their health first and the wallet is just a bonus. 

Is this conversation too soon? Maybe. 

• Eyeroll 2
  • Disagree 7
  • Agree 1
  • Dislike 1

Probably not. 

they know it’s a dangerous game, and have seen guys paralyzed. I think the retirement talk is larger being a prisoner of the emotions of the moment- on Sunday they will be nfl players, and for many it’s everything they ever dreamed of, even knowing the risk. 

hell, the concussion stuff illustrates the need for outsiders to intervene and stop the players from hurting themselves 

• Like (+1) 4

2 minutes ago, Snappysnackcakes said:

If you’re that player who’s gotten at least one non-rookie contract, do you seriously consider hanging it up after watching what’s gone on this season with Tua and now Damar? (A few others, too)

Not many guys will do this, and I’m not claiming they should, but how can a fella not think about this when they self-evaluate after the season? Wives, parents, and, hopefully, agents need to have these conversations. We’re not at the same risk level as Bering Sea fishing, but it is not sustainable. 

Poyer? Dude, your body is breaking down. Micah? Walk away while you can. Mitch? Same. Saffold? Do you really need the extra $3mil? I could say something about half of our team alone. 

Guys may start really thinking about getting in and getting out with their health first and the wallet is just a bonus. 

Too soon indeed.  That said, I would not be shocked to see some guys walk away after seeing this first hand.  It’s a different level of scary.

• Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, NoSaint said:

Probably not. 

they know it’s a dangerous game, and have seen guys paralyzed. I think the retirement talk is larger being a prisoner of the emotions of the moment- on Sunday they will be nfl players, and for many it’s everything they ever dreamed of, even knowing the risk. 

hell, the concussion stuff illustrates the need for outsiders to intervene and stop the players from hurting themselves 

Yeah, you’re right. I don’t know how some of these guys get cleared medically.

4 minutes ago, Snappysnackcakes said:

Sounds like a selfish way to voice your fears amidst a tragic event 

• Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

What has changed? If players didn't know by now that concussions happen in football, they never will. The Hamlin incident is an extremely rare freak incident that could just as easily have happened at a pickup basketball game, playing with your kids, working around the house whatever.

Football has never been a game for soft people. Injuries, sometimes lifelong, are a big part of the game. None of this is new, and it's part of what you sign up for. It doesn't make it easy to handle when it happens, but it's not the first time and it won't be the last that someone gets critically injured. If this wasn't a game played at a high intensity with the chance for significant injury, there wouldn't be an audience - at least not an audience that's any bigger that the AFFL.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I was thinking the same as this was going on.  Specifically about Tre.  I could see him retiring after this.  He almost sat out during covid and is an extreme family man that has generational wealth. 

Poyer is out there on a torn mcl and battered elbow with no guaranteed money for next year.  Risking his livelihood for the team.

Hyde had neck surgery…..and was contemplating returning to play this season.  

Demars childhood best friend, Dane, had a neck injury and was motionless and taken off in an ambulance

Taron was consisted just minutes before.  

Our team is a close and loving family.  Our secondary room is even closer knit than our team is.  Lots of ❤️ between them.  

I can only imagine what this men are thinking right now. I’ve tested up a couple times this morning thinking about the pain so many are going through, let alone Demars family and friends. 

🙏🏻 

13 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

Probably not. 

Agreed. In addition, to my knowledge, this is the first injury of its kind in NFL history, meaning it’s a once in a lifetime type event. While we are all concerned for Hamlin’s health and recovery, there are risks in everyday life that probably greater than what happened last night.

2 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

Players have retired early plenty of times before this and I'm sure we'll see more.

Generally that’s because of injuries they’ve sustained and risks of those injuries going forward. Frankly, I’d be shocked to see anyone retire, who is otherwise healthy, because of last night.

• Simon changed the title to Players retiring ???
2 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

What has changed? If players didn't know by now that concussions happen in football, they never will. The Hamlin incident is an extremely rare freak incident that could just as easily have happened at a pickup basketball game, playing with your kids, working around the house whatever.

Football has never been a game for soft people. Injuries, sometimes lifelong, are a big part of the game. None of this is new, and it's part of what you sign up for. It doesn't make it easy to handle when it happens, but it's not the first time and it won't be the last that someone gets critically injured. If this wasn't a game played at a high intensity with the chance for significant injury, there wouldn't be an audience - at least not an audience that's any bigger that the AFFL.

Have you ever seen someone potentially die in front of you while they are doing the same job as you?  

Life experience isn’t in a vacuum.  Many of these guys are already set for life.  For many NFL players, football is a means to support their families.  Once you’re set for life, why risk your life?  Some love the game so much that this won’t have an effect of their careers. Some may not.  

everyone has their own view of life and how they want to live the rest of it.  If I saw my brother potentially lose his life in front of me while doing our jobs, I may consider another job.  

The thought of something can be much different than witnessing something first hand.  

if I had multimillions in the bank, I would owe it to my family to, at the very least, give it some thought 

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

Last night Ryan Clark said he didn't even know he could die at the age of 24.

There's definitely an illusion of invincibility when you're young, and especially for pro athletes.

We don't know exactly what the Bills saw last night, bc they shielded us from seeing it. But you could see the trauma in their faces after watching CPR and shock treated be administered to their brother to restart his heart.

All I know is that was a different level of reality then any of those players have probably been exposed to in their lives. 

• Like (+1) 1

It’s generally a minority of players that leave early for health reasons,  they all know to varying degrees the potential harm they are inflicting on themselves and their opponents. It’s a freedom of choice decision. Life is sadly unfair and a gamble, one choice from another brings different outcomes…,  who when they were young would turn down a chance at being a one percenter for four to maybe ten years running? I know I would have taken the chance. 

🙏 for DH

Edited by Don Otreply

Unfortunately this will effect the NFL and the game as we know it. I could see players walking away. This is why most choose to play Baseball. More guaranteed money and very little to no contact. 

2 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

no.

they all understand that they have a much higher risk of something like CTE related chronic disease than having a life threatening cardiac event on the field.  Why would this make them wish to retire?

Most players are going to be looking at the long term affect the game has on their health. And these guys are guaranteed only so much money. 

I'd say no, but I do wonder about Tre White given his views during the covid opt-out, the emotion he showed last night and his philosophical tone coming back from the ACL injury.

For everyone else, I doubt it.  This was such a freak incident.  A routine tackle.  Extremely rare, but has happened in other sports too.   

I don't even know how to wrap my head around that... no way to prevent it, which I think adds to the feeling of mortality, but I don't think it changes 99% of players views on playing football. 

• Agree 1

25 minutes ago, Success said:

I think the impact is going to be more in the future.  Thousands of parents probably decided last night not to let their kids play football.

Possibly, but kids die in little league games from getting hit in the chest with a baseball like Damar did last night.  It was an incredibly fluke thing that we witnessed.  How many routine hits have we seen like that in the history of the game where the guys pop right back up?  Millions?  It was the equivalent of seeing a guy get struck by lightning on the field.  I think the players and fans will come to understand and accept this as the week progresses and the shock begins to wane.  

• Like (+1) 2

I think Tre hangs them up after this year.

He was shook by covid and lost family. His presser coming back from injury about how he spent so much time getting to know himself outside of football. 

Tre looked as rattled as anybody out there. 

No judgement. I love Tre. He is my favorite Bill. I hope life treats him well in whatever he decides. 

• Agree 3

32 minutes ago, Success said:

I think the impact is going to be more in the future.  Thousands of parents probably decided last night not to let their kids play football.

JUST not yesterday.

How many parents wouldn't let their kids play due to threat of paralysis or now known emerging threat of CTE.  

Been a harsh and brutal game and it will continue to be until they turn it into a "safe" game like the pro bowl.

• Haha (+1) 1

The only ones who would retire are those who already had retirement on the brain and maybe needed something to push them to commit. For all else, football goes on as usual. If they weren’t playing, someone else would be on the field.

3 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Have you ever seen someone potentially die in front of you while they are doing the same job as you?  

Life experience isn’t in a vacuum.  Many of these guys are already set for life.  For many NFL players, football is a means to support their families.  Once you’re set for life, why risk your life?  Some love the game so much that this won’t have an effect of their careers. Some may not.  

everyone has their own view of life and how they want to live the rest of it.  If I saw my brother potentially lose his life in front of me while doing our jobs, I may consider another job.  

The thought of something can be much different than witnessing something first hand.  

if I had multimillions in the bank, I would owe it to my family to, at the very least, give it some thought 

Life carries with it a 100% guarantee of death. Billionaires and the destitute meet the same fate in the end. I've had 2 co-workers die on the job, but no it didn't make our office any more threatening. Of course we aren't doing full contact software development.

Catastrophic sudden injury in football at the professional level is pretty rare, and again there's nothing to say this couldn't have happened at home. This is clearly a pretty tough time for a lot of people including players around the league, but I don't see there being sweeping changes to the desire to play football over the long term following this.

The biggest changes I expect are updated medical protocols and perhaps a review of equipment depending on the rootcause of his diagnosis.

30 minutes ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

Unfortunately this will effect the NFL and the game as we know it. I could see players walking away. This is why most choose to play Baseball. More guaranteed money and very little to no contact. 

Most players are going to be looking at the long term affect the game has on their health. And these guys are guaranteed only so much money. 

Why?

What about what happened yesterday was in any way specific to the sport of football that couldn't have happened in any other athletic or leisure activity?

the juice is worth the squeeze,  until it isnt.    meaning,  the $$$$,  fame,  doors opening for these guys, the perks,  make the decision to play this violent game that much easier.   until,  you either have enough money to say,  ya its time to focus on my health,  or you've become so tired of being injured,  or in pain,  that its not worth the effort anymore.

i dont see retirements going up all that much.

1 hour ago, Snappysnackcakes said:

Why would freak occurrences deter anyone from making a ***** ton of money? 

Overreaction to these things is getting out of control.

• Agree 1

23 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

Life carries with it a 100% guarantee of death. Billionaires and the destitute meet the same fate in the end. I've had 2 co-workers die on the job, but no it didn't make our office any more threatening. Of course we aren't doing full contact software development.

Catastrophic sudden injury in football at the professional level is pretty rare, and again there's nothing to say this couldn't have happened at home. This is clearly a pretty tough time for a lot of people including players around the league, but I don't see there being sweeping changes to the desire to play football over the long term following this.

The biggest changes I expect are updated medical protocols and perhaps a review of equipment depending on the rootcause of his diagnosis.

Why?

What about what happened yesterday was in any way specific to the sport of football that couldn't have happened in any other athletic or leisure activity?

And to see your brother potentially lose his life playing that game right in front of you MAY change their perspective.  To think there is no chance that could happen is ignorant.  

1 hour ago, Snappysnackcakes said:

You have to think that if someone is on the fence about retiring that this would weigh on them at least some

2 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

Never said there was "no chance". It's ignorant to post that i did.

My bad.  You didn’t.  I was ignorant 

you said “what has changed?” Well, the players watched as their brother potentially died from taking a forceful hit while at work. 

yes, they know that there’s a chance…..but EVERYTHING changes when you see that.  Maybe not for you, but for most humans.  To even ask that question is where you are ignorant.  Lots has changed man. 

• Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 1

2 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

Does this make you question the testing being done on the players? Current and former? Are they being subjected to the best and thorough testing available? 

What testing would have prevented this? As far as we know he was healthy.

1 minute ago, NewEra said:

My bad.  You didn’t.  I was ignorant 

you said “what has changed?” Well, the players watched as their brother potentially died from taking a forceful hit while at work. 

yes, they know that there’s a chance…..but EVERYTHING changes when you see that.  Maybe not for you, but for most humans.  To even ask that question is where you are ignorant.  Lots has changed man. 

Mike Utley, Kevin Everett, Ryan Shazier, all had catastrophic injuries on the field and football has never been more popular than it is today after all of them went down over the last 30 years. I understand what you're saying, and emotions are high right now, but long term there's not much evidence to back up your argument.

6 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

Mike Utley, Kevin Everett, Ryan Shazier, all had catastrophic injuries on the field and football has never been more popular than it is today after all of them went down over the last 30 years. I understand what you're saying, and emotions are high right now, but long term there's not much evidence to back up your argument.

I'm asking because I don't understand how Tua is allowed back on a NFL field

9 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

My side of this argument has to be tempered due to the situation.  He is fighting for his life and I don’t want to bring any negative thoughts into the conversation, so I won’t say much more than I have. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Mango said:

I think Tre hangs them up after this year.

He was shook by covid and lost family. His presser coming back from injury about how he spent so much time getting to know himself outside of football. 

Tre looked as rattled as anybody out there. 

No judgement. I love Tre. He is my favorite Bill. I hope life treats him well in whatever he decides. 

I had the same thought watching him.  He was a wreck, it’s obvious he was very concerned about Demar and he had made it seem as though he may be looking beyond the game in his off season statements/ his statements during his return.  If he chooses to leave the game, I won’t be surprised and I can’t blame anybody who chooses their life beyond the game.   We have seen Luck walk away and others who are lesser known, if Tre chooses to do so, it would suck for the organization, but nothing was illustrated more last night, these are human beings, throwing their body and lives on the line for entertainment.   Yes, it’s highly lucrative if you play at the highest of levels, but there is no doubt, it’s extremely dangerous out there. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.