17/18 Game schedule would be better if the NFL ditched home & away within the divisions.

Chaos

With the extended schedule, the NFL should consider having each team play one game against every other team in their conference plus three against the other conference. 

With the elimination of pre-season, start the season with each teams 3 interconference games (least important for tiebreakers) and finish the season playing the three teams in thier division when the games are the most critical.  This system makes its so that every team in a conference has a very similar strength of schedule.  Its just too silly to have the dispartiy in SOS that exists now. 

• Disagree 2
  • Dislike 1

It'd be interesting for a bit, but after a while it'd grow stale to see the same thing every year. 

Also, wouldn't it only be 2 interconference games instead of 3? 15 games vs AFC teams, 2 vs NFC? Either way, division rivalries would slowly disappear, regardless of when the games are being played. 

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Chaos said:

With the extended schedule, the NFL should consider having each team play one game against every other team in their conference plus three against the other conference. 

With the elimination of pre-season, start the season with each teams 3 interconference games (least important for tiebreakers) and finish the season playing the three teams in thier division when the games are the most critical.  This system makes its so that every team in a conference has a very similar strength of schedule.  Its just too silly to have the dispartiy in SOS that exists now. 

Spunds like you do not like @Chaos.

• Haha (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Chaos said:

But what if KC played the Rams, Chicago, and Atlanta this year in the NFC, and Buffalo got Philly, Dallas, and SF? Three easy wins vs. three difficult games, which could affect the first tie breaker: overall record. At least when a team plays one non-conference division in the entirety, there is a better chance they will be facing a good team, as each division has one (well, except this year with the NFC South, lol).

Also, under your proposal, we should just eliminate the divisions then.

Edited by chongli

Keep divisions and 6 games against division opponents. Too much history and rivalry. Too much fun now that we own the AFCE after the drought. 

Once we get to a 21-22 game season in like 2050, assuming no expansion franchises which is no safe bet, then we could do: all AFC teams, each division opponent 2x, and still get 3-4 NFC games per year. 

• Like (+1) 2

There is logic to what you guys are proposing, but "if it ain't broke..." no reason for the NFL to make a move like this. 

you can't make the system fair. the best team does not always win the super bowl. and yet we have the most popular game in America. 

and with all that said, given enough time, the  cream will rise. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, unbillievable said:

I don't like that Buffalo played in Las Vegas during the pandemic and I won't get to experience that stadium until 2018, when it's no longer new.

I hate to tell you, but 2018 already happened.  Seriously, if the Bills win the AFC next season they'll be in Las Vegas for the Super Bowl.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

35 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

It doesn't matter, some teams will still have easier schedules since not every team plays the other team. There is no way to have this happen as they will never expand to 31 games.

the difference in two or three interconference games is 95% less differential, than the chiefs getting to play four games against teams that are not even trying to compete. 

• Eyeroll 1
  • Dislike 1

40 minutes ago, unbillievable said:

I don't like that Buffalo played in Las Vegas during the pandemic and I won't get to experience that stadium until 2018 2028, when it's no longer new.

Actually it's 2026 and they could be playing in Vegas again in 2027 if both they and the Raiders finish in same position in standings

13 hours ago, Chaos said:

from a parity standpoint- it’s an interesting idea. Ditch division rivalry but also ditch marginal teams coasting through weak divisions 

3 hours ago, clayboy54 said:

That way, we could play KC in Kansas City every single year for the rest of our lives.

Should be LVR since a number of posters say there is no advantage to playing at home in November and December.

Could Bills make deal with NFL to play week 18 in LV every year?

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, unbillievable said:

I like the idea of 1 out of 17 games being played in a neutral site.

Someplace with a resort or night life.

Good for fans who don't live in the home city that don't want to be harassed by road fans.

Im thinking they should build a stadium that is a giant hot tub. Everyone sits in filthy steaming water to watch the game and….well, you know what happens in hot tubs…..

I'm not sure how they can do it, but increase cross-conference games. I'm in Tampa, and I missed the last Bills game here because it was post-covid and tickets prices were off the charts. I was at the previous game 8 years before, but that was when both teams sucked. Score was like 13-10, can't remember. It's an 8 year cycle. I'll have maybe 1 time to see them here because it'll be 1 time in 14 years. 

Edited by Fleezoid

4 minutes ago, Fleezoid said:

I'm not sure how they can do it, but increase cross-conference games. I'm in Tampa, and I missed the last Bills game here because it was post-covid and tickets prices were off the charts. I was at the previous game 8 years before, but that was when both teams sucked. Score was like 13-10, can't remember. It's an 8 year cycle. I'll have maybe 1 time to see them here because it'll be 1 time in 14 years. 

Can’t get the greyhound to Miami?

On 1/1/2023 at 12:20 PM, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

from a parity standpoint- it’s an interesting idea. Ditch division rivalry but also ditch marginal teams coasting through weak divisions 

The Patriots run of SBs, they cruised to division titles, winning at least 5 out of 6 division games every season. 

It's all cyclical. I hope the NFL doesn't expand or change any of the scheduling. 

On 1/1/2023 at 9:34 AM, JohnBonhamRocks said:

Keep divisions and 6 games against division opponents. Too much history and rivalry. Too much fun now that we own the AFCE after the drought. 

Once we get to a 21-22 game season in like 2050, assuming no expansion franchises which is no safe bet, then we could do: all AFC teams, each division opponent 2x, and still get 3-4 NFC games per year. 

And solar powered android players with titanium knees.

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, DrBob806 said:

The Patriots run of SBs, they cruised to division titles, winning at least 5 out of 6 division games every season. 

It's all cyclical. I hope the NFL doesn't expand or change any of the scheduling. 

In all their domination I think they only actually went 6-0 in division once or twice though. Obviously 2008 and think there was one other. They have a pretty average record in Miami.

I am not for scrapping divisions. I just don't see how it improves anything.

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

Ok fair enough… I see they play the Bucs next year but in Buffalo…

Yeah, that's the issue. They play one division from the other conference each year. So, 4 years to get thru the conference and they rotate home/away. As I mentioned, not sure if it's fixable. I know they like the rivalries, either within division or conference. I'm just whining. I'd like some easier Bills games to see. 

I haven't been to Jacksonville....yet, so there is that. 

Would unbalance the divisions.  Jets and 'Phins beat us in their homes, but lost to us here.  Now if we happened to only play once against division foes and pulled NE at home, NYJ and MIA on the road, we'd have finished 1-2 in the division, losing tie-breakers to both the Jets and 'Phins.  The tie-breaker would be based on the one head-to-head.  Could you imagine if, say, the Cowboys and Eagles only played once a season, and what an advantage home-field would give them?

I'd have them play all three division opponents in the first 5 weeks of the season, then again, the last three weeks of the season.  It seems every year there are multiple teams that play a division opponent one week, someone else the next week, then the same division opponent again.  

25 minutes ago, Fleezoid said:

Yeah, that's the issue. They play one division from the other conference each year. So, 4 years to get thru the conference and they rotate home/away. As I mentioned, not sure if it's fixable. I know they like the rivalries, either within division or conference. I'm just whining. I'd like some easier Bills games to see. 

I haven't been to Jacksonville....yet, so there is that. 

This is not the division game …they do play an extra game now against the NFC and next year it’s against the Bucs

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.