Baker Mayfield: QBing not so hard with competent head coach

Punching Bag

LOL if you think that Mayfield is somehow now competent because he plays for the boy genius.  They are playing a horrible team that is sprinting for the bus today.  Mayfield will revert to his level as soon as he faces a competent team or faces a little adversity.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

9 minutes ago, FLFan said:

LOL if you think that Mayfield is somehow now competent because he plays for the boy genius.  They are playing a horrible team that is sprinting for the bus today.  Mayfield will revert to his level as soon as he faces a competent team or faces a little adversity.  

Competent doesn't mean great but he will have offers for 2023. 

• Agree 2

58 minutes ago, MarkyMannn said:

To me Mayfield has been good when put in a position to succeed. Unfortunately that's been rare for him. Wish him the best.

Kind of like being a Jets QB. You're screwed no matter who you are

Well Wilson especially in that market with number of M(he)LFs.

Just now, CoudyBills said:

Time for "***** that dead cap" shirts?

You can only do that so many times before you are ******.

• Like (+1) 1

Baker is an interesting guy.

He's bet on himself twice in his NFL career first by agreeing to changes in his contract to facilitate his trade from Cleveland to Carolina and then more recently when he asked for his release from Carolina.

The latest bet is going to earn him much more money than if he languished on the Carolina bench.

Credit to Baker for his self-confidence and glad to see him doing well.

• Like (+1) 3

Wait! Back up the bus. Given his very up & down career, gonna need a larger sample size than 1 game, against a bad team, before anointing Baker the long term answer at QB anywhere. (Chargers up next, let's see how that goes, for a start, then work out way toward consistent good play).

Edited by Donuts and Doritos

1 minute ago, Donuts and Doritos said:

Wait! Back up the bus. Given his very up & down career, gonna need a larger sample size than 1 game, against a bad team, before anointing Baker the long term answer at QB anywhere. (Chargers up next, let's see how that goes).

One game sample size?

Mayfield has played 3 games with the Rams and is 2-1.

2 hours ago, Captain Hindsight said:

I think he sticks with the Rams. Stafford might be done and he has a chance to work with McVay for a while

McVay won’t get another shot at a talent like him for a while. It’s a win , win situation IMO

I think the Rams would do well to keep him. They won’t have a shot at a good QB in the draft. But I’m not sure Baker will want to stick around if he knows Stafford is returning to be the de facto starter (even though he was terrible when starting this season). Lots of QB needy teams this off season. Indianapolis, New England, New York, Tampa Bay, New Orleans, Houston, Denver (I can’t see them committing to starting Russ another year). 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.