Christmas storm could be “Paralyzing” for Buffalo

CountDorkula

On Long Island the forecast is rain all day tomorrow. The high will be in the low 50's. Then at night it is going down to 15. The roads will be like hockey rinks. We are expecting company and I hope that they stay home. I have seen extreme sudden drops like this but really not that often. I pray that the roads will get salted and sanded to limit injuries and fatalities. 

Good luck up there in WNY and around the country!!!!!🙏

3 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

I betcha we had them in SouthTowns. I remember snows well over my head as a child. Now I am a big dumb lug over 6 feet.  😏 

Another big blizzard was 1985. There was the one in October 2006 that dumped 4 feet. 4 feet in October with leaves still on trees is like 10 feet in February. AmeriCorps had to come in and help places like Birchfield in West Seneca. All the old trees on the street I grew up on were wiped put. Canopy totally gone today. Places like Birchfield along BFLo Creek in Ebenezer/W.Seneca looked like Nagasaki...

Anyway... The only reporting that got done back then was from the official station @ Airport in Cheektowaga and they are almost out of the historical, traditional SouthTowns SnowBelt.

BFLo averages 95" a year.

Southtowns and into the SoutherTier is closer to 150-200"  AVERAGE into the hills alee of The Lake.

219 would always close... Etc... Big snows were there, just didn't make anything of it... Avoided it, went around those microclimates 😉: @BringBackFergy

Funny. Was just talking with @Gugny tonight and wondered if you were in WS during 77. Pretty sure you were. In retrospect, it was fun as a 10 yr old. Go outside. Drifts were huge. Listened to WBEN. Schools closed for two weeks. I’m sure you remember all that. 

• Like (+1) 2

How often should you have a 100 or 500 year storm? My math is fuzzy on that. 

It seems like we are the only team having crazy weather games in the last few years. I KNOW that is not true, but it just feels like we are being picked on in some way, much like the starting QB when Fitz is your backup.  

2 hours ago, Augie said:

How often should you have a 100 or 500 year storm? My math is fuzzy on that. 

It seems like we are the only team having crazy weather games in the last few years. I KNOW that is not true, but it just feels like we are being picked on in some way, much like the starting QB when Fitz is your backup.  

Needs to be fact checked, but I heard the NFL team with the most postponed home games:

ANSWER: The Miami Dolphins

3 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Needs to be fact checked, but I heard the NFL team with the most postponed home games:

ANSWER: The Miami Dolphins

Dolphins must have a lot of early season lightning stops. That’s a seriously deadly event. 

• Agree 1

Your 2022 "WhiteChristmas Map:"WhiteChristmas_2022USAMap.thumb.jpg.3ece9a3a0068ad98891113754a532294.jpg

1" or more on ground @ Christmas = WhiteChristmas. 

~SOURCE: NYTimes

It may be wrong but looks like no for Detroit, Toldeo (which makes sense given it's tempered protection from the Lakes) and east of Rochester which along with a spot in SouthernTier seems odd...

Where's Tua's "Alabama Snow?" 😏 

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Winds are picking up in the north towns. We battened down the hatches as best we could last night. We’ve got two big trees next door that we are worried about hitting the house, and failed to instal a back up genny or battery powered sump pump back up, so definitely fingers crossed we don’t lose power for an extended time as a flooded finished basement is not a good early holiday gift. 

othewise, my girls and I aren’t going anywhere or doing anything but keeping warm, and sledding through a variety of holiday movies songs and activities. Actually quite looking forward to it! 

Stay safe, everyone’

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Lord  please protect people in harms way in this blizzard weather. Not only the public but the people who must be on the roadways for whatever reason  working. I pray for the electricians who will be restoring power.  I pray for people not to lose electricity for an extended time.  I pray for safety over all areas of need. 

Lord have mercy.  In Jesus name Amen

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

45 minutes ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

Winds are picking up in the north towns. We battened down the hatches as best we could last night. We’ve got two big trees next door that we are worried about hitting the house, and failed to instal a back up genny or battery powered sump pump back up, so definitely fingers crossed we don’t lose power for an extended time as a flooded finished basement is not a good early holiday gift. 

othewise, my girls and I aren’t going anywhere or doing anything but keeping warm, and sledding through a variety of holiday movies songs and activities. Actually quite looking forward to it! 

Stay safe, everyone’

What Holiday movies do you have on deck?

4 minutes ago, Draconator said:

Travel ban in all of Erie County starting at 9:30 am EST.

and I think people will pay attention to it this time. It reads BRUTAL I wouldnt willingly  choose to deal with blizzard AND Ice at the same time; Its a recipe for disaster

Edited by muppy
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Process said:

I did not buy enough beer

You can't drive anyway so I agree having a stocked beverage fridge is the way to go! Salud! I'm glad you are not totally dry

Merry Christmas

Edited by muppy

1 hour ago, BillsPride12 said:

What Holiday movies do you have on deck?

Home Alone for about the 10th time this year…

We are big into the YouTube fitness winter chases from brain break central for the little one. 

1 hour ago, Buffalo716 said:

The lights in my house are flickering already 

and the winds Are whipping… buckle up and stay safe 

Power outage for about a minute in Clarence. Back up and running for now…

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

Stay safe, everyone’

I hope you maintain power.  Nothing gets my anxiety up like the failed sump and finished (uninsured/un-permitted) basement issue.  

My sump failed about a month before the construction of the basement during a 4 day rain event.  It wasn't pretty.  With the new sump, I got the battery backup hooked up to the water line.  Still anxious about it.  Might splurge for the full-on backup generator this summer

• Like (+1) 1

Anyone noticing that Buffalo is getting a "once in a generation" type winter storm about once a week so far this winter?

They already seem to have forgotten about the 5 feet in 48-72 hours....which is unheard of!

IT's all global warming/climate change.  As that situation gets worse, weather all over will continue to be crazy and the "big" storms of all types and seasons will get bigger.

30 minutes ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

This “started” at around 7:30 am in Williamsville. By 10 am we were without power, still without it now and not likely to come on anytime soon.

So…2 hours in, no power and only 36 hours left to go.  Cool, cool, cool. 

Thinking of you Bro--and don't be reading this forum while you try to conserve phone battery! Some of us, myself included, actually lost power for a few hours last night in the Atlanta metro area--downed tree limbs from the high winds being the likely culprit. @Royale with Cheesemaybe can weigh in on it actually not being way too hot here today!  

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Not that bad. Still see some grass. Windy though, looks like 2" max on driveway, southern exposure deck is bare... But snow may be piled up in other areas. Nothing on my truck in driveway.  Clear windshield, roof. 

Again. Maybe 2-3" max. Was sunny a little bit ago. 

Temp is -5°F with -32°F windchill. I may go out later and shovel where the drifts are. The approach to driveway looks the thickest.  Other parts bare.

9 minutes ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

Thinking of you Bro--and don't be reading this forum while you try to conserve phone battery! Some of us, myself included, actually lost power for a few hours last night in the Atlanta metro area--downed tree limbs from the high winds being the likely culprit. @Royale with Cheesemaybe can weigh in on it actually not being way too hot here today!  

Thank you, Brother.  Not only appreciated but needed.  My girls are…not coping. 🤣

I have another friend from Atlanta, too, and he mentioned he lost power.

4 hours ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

Stay safe, everyone’

Thanks EII, you stay safe and have a great holiday weekend!

I just had a sump pump break down last month and flooded my finished basement. Cost over $21,000 to repair. 

I really hope you don’t lose power. I will keep you and your family in my thoughts and prayers you make it through this weather event unscathed.

• Thank you (+1) 1

I have 40 pounds of ham if anyone is interested.  Thanks Brady.

1 hour ago, Wacka said:

Lackawanna 79 mph gust. Airport 72. Sustained winds 45-50.  15 foot waves on Lake Erie.

Did they get that seawall up by Hoak's on route 5 yet?

Edited by Doc Brown

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.