Christmas storm could be “Paralyzing” for Buffalo

CountDorkula

Can tell the younger newspeople and the ones born out of town.  "I have never seen anything like this in my life."  they say.  Well, I have. The Blizzard of  '77

Edited by Wacka
  • Like (+1) 4

23 minutes ago, Wacka said:

Can tell the younger newspeople and the ones born out of town.  "I have never seen anything like this in my life."  they say.  Well, I have. The Blizzard of  '77

To the Youngins: It's always been happening.  😉 

https://buffalonews.com/news/local/history/oct-18-1844-great-flood-of-1844-devastates-buffalo/article_73b0e94c-fe27-5e7e-ac12-691a85809139.html

Just now, ExiledInIllinois said:

Why do they have overhead traffic lights on wires? Why not poles? Or... To the left or right of traffic.  

Come to think about... I can't recall seeing too many traffic lights out here that aren't rigidly supported. They've mainly done away with that style.

Welcome to WNY

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Process said:

We are getting pummeled in Amherst. 

Can see half of my driveway in the front of the house. But along the back of the house have a few feet, approaching the furnace exhaust.

Clear that snow away from the exhaust, as I’m sure you know. In Clarence it’s been non-stop all day, likely as it has been by you. It’s really picked up the last hour.

I took my dogs out and in some spots had two feet of snow, while other areas I could still see grass. It’s crazy

Edited by EmotionallyUnstable
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Why do they have overhead traffic lights on wires? Why not poles? Or... To the left or right of traffic.  

Come to think about... I can't recall seeing too many traffic lights out here that aren't rigidly supported. They've mainly done away with that style.

Last summer they started putting the lights on poles along main routes. For example, Transit road at the WS/Cheek/Lancaster/Elma  border. Looks like state roads. Putting in the blinking yellow left turn arrows too.

Edited by Wacka
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

Clear that snow away from the exhaust, as I’m sure you know. In Clarence it’s been non-stop all day, likely as it has been by you. It’s really picked up the last hour.

I took my dogs out and in some spots had two feet of snow, while other areas I could still see grass. It’s crazy

Yup. My entire backyard is covered in 2-3 feet of snow. Side of the house can see the grass.

• Like (+1) 1

News just said we had 16.8" today. Can't tell s the first snow this AM got plastered on the windows and I can't knock it off. I'm on the second floor.  They said we are supposed to get an additional 36-48 " by Sunday evening.  With gusts today in the 70s, this felt like '77.

• Shocked 1
  • Agree 1

It's legit "The Day After Tomorrow" bad here...I'm not even sure how to describe it...this doesn't even do it justice...

Already 17" at the airport as of 9pm, lake band parked over us dropping 2-3+" per hour and not expecting much movement if any for the next 18+ hours...storm totals of 50-60+" by Monday night. Peak wind gust 73 mph at the airport and 79 mph in Lackawanna, just south of downtown near the lakeshore.

• Like (+1) 2

49 minutes ago, stevestojan said:

Stay safe everyone. I just relocated to the west coast so I’m not dealing with this but family is in Derby, Hamburg, and OP. Sounds awful up there. 

Worst from Buffalo Airport and the Eastern Burbs up through Williamsville and Clarence areas right now...Southtowns aren't getting it "as bad" currently.

1 hour ago, Wacka said:

News just said we had 16.8" today. Can't tell s the first snow this AM got plastered on the windows and I can't knock it off. I'm on the second floor.  They said we are supposed to get an additional 36-48 " by Sunday evening.  With gusts today in the 70s, this felt like '77.

16.8" was as of 9pm...probably got an additional 5-8" since then.

16 hours ago, muppy said:

Lord  please protect people in harms way in this blizzard weather. Not only the public but the people who must be on the roadways for whatever reason  working. I pray for the electricians who will be restoring power.  I pray for people not to lose electricity for an extended time.  I pray for safety over all areas of need. 

Lord have mercy.  In Jesus name Amen

Bumping daily until this storm passes through. Also prayers for anyone trying to reach family for Christmas. Travel mercies. Help them to reach where they are going safely . Prayers for anyone cold or stuck that they find heat and get their power back asap. Amen.

White Christmas indeed!

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Gugny said:

Appreciate the updates from people living through it as it's happening.  I wish the best for you.

Thank you for your kind thoughts... But I will survive. We only got 2".  You should really focus on the others that really are getting the heck wallopped out of them! 😉 

Oh, check out this grumpy guy. It's like Myke doing the weather in Iowa:

😬😄

cc:// @Mike in Horseheads

Edited by ExiledInIllinois
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Buffalo set both a record rainfall for the day yesterday at 1.98 inches AND a record snowfall for the day of 22.3"...

I'm not sure how many times that has ever happened before but I would imagine it is exceedingly rare.

Just imagine if that 2" of rain was snow! Another 3 feet? 😆... God works in strange and benevolent ways! 😉 

Oh... I don't think it's rare. Again,  how many stations are reporting today vs. back in the day?

EDIT: Maybe that it happened so close together. But really, the rain was a good thing. Would you rather have 2" of rain OR the equivalent of that in snow?

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

My dog got me up to go out at 3:30 in the middle of the night. Idk if it’s the sharp juxtaposition of my cozy bed and house but it is bone chilling cold, with a stinging wind throwing snow all around. 

Couldn’t get out of the back door due to drifts. This is crazy, when you consider my back door leads to a covered 12x20 deck. This snow is moving big time 

Edited by EmotionallyUnstable

8 hours ago, Big Turk said:

It's legit "The Day After Tomorrow" bad here...I'm not even sure how to describe it...this doesn't even do it justice...

Already 17" at the airport as of 9pm, lake band parked over us dropping 2-3+" per hour and not expecting much movement if any for the next 18+ hours...storm totals of 50-60+" by Monday night. Peak wind gust 73 mph at the airport and 79 mph in Lackawanna, just south of downtown near the lakeshore.

That's the only way to describe it. It sounded like we were sleeping in a tornado all night. House making all types of noises. I don't think the wind slowed down once. 

8 hours ago, I am the egg man said:

Three cheap wreaths and two candy cane missing from front of house, so far.

The carolers and Santa are still standing, maybe it’s the 3ft. drift around them.

Lol sorry that might be my grandma. She sent a group message yesterday “Nows the time to steal lawn decorations”

I live in the Midwest now, and a few minutes ago a local friend sent me a message saying, "Wow, Buffalo is getting slammed!" I responded with "Good thing the Bills are in balmy Chicago today!" She wrote back: "Lol. So many tweets from folks in Buffalo talking about the blizzard and then ending with GO BILLS."

Hey - priorities.

Stay safe, my friends!

Lake effect band has move up to Grand Island through Lockport.  Will be moving back down to Buffalo/ Cheektowaga in a few hours. Channel 7 reporter is downtown outside the old Police HQ (across from  County Hall). Can see about a block or so. At old police HQ, one side pavement. Around corner, snow over his knees.  County  exec said this is just as bad or worse than '77 ⅔ of emergency service vehicles  stuck. No emergency services in Buff/Cheek/Kenton/Lanc. Two people died in Cheektowaga (medical events, not frozen). 2 County  highlifts  center( took almost two hours to go from their garage to the County EmergencyCenter (2 miles). The storm will continue through tomorrow afternoon.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.