Jerry Sullivan crosses the line. Comments against women.

Draconator

13 minutes ago, Coldfronts said:

OK so you think that was a offense that he should be fired for.  Who make that decision the small mob of angry villagers or the company controlled by them?  Not much of a choice is there? You only have the illusion of free speech.  I say live and let live...no one is perfect

Why? I am tolerant of all voices especially the ones I disagree with

You seem to be confusing the Constitutional guarantee of freedom of speech, with freedom from consequences for what's spoken.

There's a pretty nice explanation here:

https://constitutionus.com/constitution/rights/what-amendment-includes-the-freedom-of-speech/

Specifically, "Freedom of speech does not mean that anybody can say whatever they want without consequence. (...........)   private entities are not obligated to respect freedom of speech. For example, an employer can impose non-disparagement clauses to keep employees from speaking negatively about the company or its products, and non-disclosure agreements are common in modern contract law.  Because none of the participating parties are part of or otherwise affiliated with government entities, they are not required to respect an individual’s freedom of speech."

No one has ever had any kind of protection from personal consequences for what they say, only from government restriction or action against it.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

10 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Yeah, I asked who that was in another thread, the response was "Jerry Sullivan"

The GMFB crew discussed.  The GMFB host with the most actual training as a journalist is apparently Jamie Erhdahl (degree in broadcasting and communications).   She seems to feel that Sullivan doesn't "get" journalism (critical or other) in the sense that the journalist's job in an interview is to - wait for it - ask questions, not state his personal views or beliefs. 

IOW:

"Do you feel this offense is currently performing on the level to win a Super Bowl?"  (wait for response) - critical journalism

"This offense is not performing on the level to win a Super Bowl"  - not journalism, statement of opinion out-of-place in an interview

This has come up with Sullivan in the past.  He has actually responded to that exact accusation by saying that he isnt a journalist, he is a columnist.   And as a columnist part of his job is to provide his opinion. 

This came up around the time he was originally stripped of his credentials.

32 minutes ago, Coldfronts said:

So, who decides what sins deserve canceling and please don't say the community because you can see where the Salem witch trials got us. Thank good for the first amendment and you don't have to watch his stuff ...just don't canceling him over it like a child  throwing a fit

This is wrong on so many levels.

The facts are the community decides who to listen to and who to support.

The cancelling of Sullivan will be because enough people exercise their rights and freedom to express the outrage and in a capitalistic society - that means potential consequences for him and anyone that supports him in business.  They have a right to fire him or move on if they feel enough bad press will impact their bottom line.

Jerry Sullivan is and will be free to continue speaking, but if the people put pressure on where that voice can come from - that is exactly how the country should work.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Just now, thenorthremembers said:

This has come up with Sullivan in the past.  He has actually responded to that exact accusation by saying that he isnt a journalist, he is a columnist.   And as a columnist part of his job is to provide his opinion. 

If he's a columnist, not a journalist - that's fine - but what is he doing at a press conference with journalists?  The point of a press conference is to ask questions and hear answers, then go off and write about it which can include stating personal opinions or beliefs as columnists do. If he's not going to behave as a journalist in that venue, GTFO and let journalists, who use that time to ask questions, have his slot.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 4

29 minutes ago, Coldfronts said:

OK so you think that was a offense that he should be fired for.  Who make that decision the small mob of angry villagers or the company controlled by them?  Not much of a choice is there? You only have the illusion of free speech.  I say live and let live...no one is perfect

Why? I am tolerant of all voices especially the ones I disagree with

Then it should not offend you to have cancel culture. 

Live and let live - if people are offended why should it bother you what they do.  That is their free speech.

You certainly do not seem very tolerant of other voices as you are basically telling them to not speak their mind against a bigoted hack,  but you do you boo.

🤦‍♂️

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

12 hours ago, Draconator said:

Dude needs to just go away. He's lost all touch with reality. 

The first line tells us all we need to know. "Three people have commented on the live stream..."

Congrats on your three viewers. What a bunch of clowns.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

If he's a columnist, not a journalist - that's fine - but what is he doing at a press conference with journalists?  The point of a press conference is to ask questions and hear answers, then go off and write about it which can include stating personal opinions or beliefs as columnists do. If he's not going to behave as a journalist in that venue, GTFO and let journalists, who use that time to ask questions, have his slot.

Not going to get an argument from me.    I dont think he qualifies as either.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

You seem to be confusing the Constitutional guarantee of freedom of speech, with freedom from consequences for what's spoken.

There's a pretty nice explanation here:

https://constitutionus.com/constitution/rights/what-amendment-includes-the-freedom-of-speech/

Specifically, "Freedom of speech does not mean that anybody can say whatever they want without consequence. (...........)   private entities are not obligated to respect freedom of speech. For example, an employer can impose non-disparagement clauses to keep employees from speaking negatively about the company or its products, and non-disclosure agreements are common in modern contract law.  Because none of the participating parties are part of or otherwise affiliated with government entities, they are not required to respect an individual’s freedom of speech."

No one has ever had any kind of protection from personal consequences for what they say, only from government restriction or action against it.

Now wait just a darn second here!! 

I had planned to tell my boss to go ***** themselves today. I mean, freedom of speech, amiright?? No 1 cAn TAkE mY FrEEdum!! 

In all seriousness, your post is what is lost on so many buffoons who cry “first amendment violation!!!!!”

No matter how many times we explain that freedom of speech simply means the GOVERNMENT can’t arrest me or take other action based on my speech but that there are many other - often times huge - consequences that can come from saying stupid *****, it won’t matter. They will hear the words “free speech” and ignore everything else. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 2

36 minutes ago, Coldfronts said:

The angry villagers are known by another term - customers.  That’s what businesses respond to.

• Like (+1) 7

12 minutes ago, appoo said:

What irritates me about the entire thing is like we sit here and say “stand up for women!” And we really should. Fully agree with you. But I think I the irritation is how much women need allies….STILL. 

Like we can’t just treat them like human beings, because there’s too many in this world that treat them like a monolithic minority that men need to deal with. It’s dehumanizing.

In that situation there were only men - they need to stand up for the underserved in that case.  It could have been bigotry based upon sex, race, income, schooling - if they are picking on one group that is under or not represented- the others need to stand up.

Now today - the podcast and Sullivan are finding out the Women can 100% take care of themselves and this is going to cause a world of hurt for them.

• Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, BobbyC81 said:

Good Morning Football played the postgame with Josh where somebody asked a question about the offense and then said “This doesn’t look like a Super Bowl offense.”  Sullivan immediately came to mind.  Whether it was or not, I don’t know.

It was...

• Like (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, Coldfronts said:

So, who decides what sins deserve canceling and please don't say the community because you can see where the Salem witch trials got us. Thank good for the first amendment and you don't have to watch his stuff ...just don't canceling him over it like a child  throwing a fit

So many people don't understand what the first amendment is. You can usually tell an idiot by when/how they bring up the first amendment. First amendment guarantees you can say (mostly) whatever you want. It doesn't guarantee that you are immune from the consequences resulting from what you said.  Nor does it guarantee you the right to a public platform. 

Jerry can spout his idiot chauvinism on a street corner somewhere. Nothing is stopping him. However, if you say something stupid like Jerry did that exposes your stupidity, you are responsible for the reaction.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 3

1 minute ago, Jerry Jabber said:

Sullivan is a clown and has been a cancer in the Buffalo media for years. He needs to crawl in a hole and go away for good.

My perspective on Jerry Sullivan may be colored by the fact that I live in South Dakota, so I don't get local news unless I seek it out.  I subscribe to the Buffalo News, and I watch some of Cover 1's stuff, and I spend some time around here.  That's basically it.  

I don't remember when Sullivan left whatever paper he used to write for (BN?  D&C?).  I read his stuff for a long time and mostly enjoyed his sense of humor.  Sure, he was negative all the time, but there weren't many things to be positive about during most of the drought years.  Somewhere along the line, it seemed like something changed with him.  I don't expect sports journalists to be fans of the team they cover, and I'm all for critically evaluating players, coaches, staff, owners, etc.  But it started to feel like Sullivan just hated the team on a personal level, and I found that off-putting.  I have no idea if Sullivan actually hates the Bills or not, and I wouldn't blame him if he did (lots of people grow to hate their employer, and it wouldn't surprise me if sports reporters grow to hate their beat team on a long enough time horizon).  Regardless, his columns started to come across to me as criticism-for-the-sake-of-criticism and I started passing them over.  I don't think I've read anything he's written since the Pegulas bought the team at least.    

I wouldn't have thought about Jerry Sullivan at all today if a couple of guys from Cover 1 hadn't vomited him all over my TL just to show how virtuous they are.  

But then again, I literally never encounter this person.  I never see him on television, and I don't read whatever paper he writes for.  His stuff doesn't show up on this site.  Obviously locals are a lot more invested in Jerry Sullivan than I am.  I don't get it, but I'm not from the area either.

9 hours ago, Jauronimo said:

What low rent podcast was this?  That basement smells like failure and radon.  There are about 275,000 people left in the city of Buffalo and I swear half of them have their own Bills podcast, blog, Instagram personality, or OnlyFans.

Have you done some deep research into finding them all?  

• Haha (+1) 2

38 minutes ago, Rico said:

Sully just demonstrated yet again what a master troll he is…. living rent-free in so many heads for so many years. :beer:

being out of market and not a Buffalo news subscriber lends itself to only being aware of the guy when he posts bulletin board material aka controversial or idiotic stuff like we are hearing in this thread.

He has made his bed. His moniker is reduced to a punchline at this point. Guy's a joke.  More pitiful than funny but as Ive already said I think his opinions are stale and dated.

• Like (+1) 2

The virtue signaling on this one from fans on Twitter.  

1 hour ago, thenorthremembers said:

He was stripped of his credentials after he left the Buffalo News and worked for that small ESPN radio station

• Haha (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I like how you blame and criticize others here when this was all Sully's fault.

Well, it's actually not Sullivan's fault that I'm being exposed to his podcast.  That's Aaron Quinn's fault, in a very direct, literal sense.  I would not have known that Jerry Sullivan even has a podcast were it not for two people who I follow on Twitter.  

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, muppy said:

being out of market and not a Buffalo news subscriber lends itself to only being aware of the guy when he posts bulletin board material aka controversial or idiotic stuff like we are hearing in this thread.

He has made his bed. His moniker is reduced to a punchline at this point. Guy's a joke.  More pitiful than funny but as Ive already said I think his opinions are stale and dated.

Agreed. "Critical journalism" was warranted in the drought. 4-5 years ago, it seems he started leaning heavily into the schtick formula and has dove deeper into it since. 

7 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Do the Bills pull his press credential? I’m sure that they were annoyed with the “Super Bowl offense” statement (not question). This would give them the cover that they need to get him out of the press room.

It does make you wonder but I’m against this idea because Jerry still works for 2 legit news organizations that cover the team.  I think the Bills PR staff will be conscious of how the move would be perceived.  As much as they might not like them, the organization needs the media and doesn’t want to give the appearance that they’ll boot you if a reporter asks a critical question.  It would have to be more personal of a situation 

• Disagree 1

15 minutes ago, muppy said:

That's fair.  Thanks.

1 hour ago, BringBackFergy said:

Yeah, that's what I was getting at.  It was condoned at the time he made those dumb ass, drunken comments, but now they retract with a Twitter post and all is well?  Nahhh. They're as guilty as Sullivan.

This is way too far for me. They were clearly immediately uncomfortable and tried to awkwardly salvage what he said. I think most people put in that situation would fumble their way through. The best they can do is apologize and distance themselves from the dumbass that made the comment, which is what they did. This is an actual example of cancel culture, where people even indirectly involved with an idiot catch stray bullets.

1 minute ago, extrahammer said:

Agreed. "Critical journalism" was warranted in the drought. 4-5 years ago, it seems he started leaning heavily into the schtick formula and has dove deeper into it since. 

I think he was called out under this regime and he was basically like "The media is also part of the team and it can be our job to inspire the team through our criticism". Basically he is an arse and when the team fails he goes "seeeeee I told ya so" and when he is wrong he says "good thing I was a total piece of poop to you. If I wasn't you might not have played with such anger and vitrol to prove me wrong!". 

I don't mind being critical. I have a tendency to be critical. He just doesn't seem like a good or nice guy. He is a rude contrarian for the sake of being a rude contrarian (and making himself feel good). 

1 minute ago, HappyDays said:

This is way too far for me. They were clearly immediately uncomfortable and tried to awkwardly salvage what he said. I think most people put in that situation would fumble their way through. The best they can do is apologize and distance themselves from the dumbass that made the comment, which is what they did. This is an actual example of cancel culture, where people even indirectly involved with an idiot catch stray bullets.

They had three people commenting in the live. Nobody is listening. You can't cancel a show nobody is watching or listening too. That's actually the most insulting part for them. They're too irrelevant to be cancelled. 

99% of us probably didn't know this podcast existed until Sullivan's idiocy. 

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I mean the moral of the story is don't involve yourself with idiots

If there are less idiots out there there are less strays to catch

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, GoBills808 said:

I mean the moral of the story is don't involve yourself with idiots

If there are less idiots out there there are less strays to catch

Jerry Sullivan has definitely made an ass of himself before this but this is the first time he made comments like that. If I were put in that situation I would have been pretty shocked and probably not handled it well. Call out Jerry Sullivan as much as you want for his idiocy but let's leave the amateur podcast hosts out of it. This kind of thing sometimes bleeds into personal lives. They didn't ask for this.

1 minute ago, HappyDays said:

Jerry Sullivan has definitely made an ass of himself before this but this is the first time he made comments like that. If I were put in that situation I would have been pretty shocked and probably not handled it well. Call out Jerry Sullivan as much as you want for his idiocy but let's leave the amateur podcast hosts out of it. This kind of thing sometimes bleeds into personal lives. They didn't ask for this.

I'm not going to kill them over it personally but lie down w dogs get up w fleas

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Pics?

This is a bog standard internet joke and I am not offended by it at all.  But you just jokingly asked another poster for pics of his daughters.  In the same thread that you called for another person's firing over a similar joke. 

Maybe think on that a bit?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.