Buffalo Bill receivers now lead the league in dropped passes

78thealltimegreat

3 hours ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

After yesterday they passed the Green Bay Packers for most dropped passes by unit.  
  Part of this maybe weather, how hard Josh throws, or maybe it is just they are street level free agent talented.
 I really don’t want this to be the reason they don’t win the Super Bowl but man these guys should lock themselves on like a jugs machine. 

Result of the focus on YAC?

The frustration is not just the drops.

It's that other receivers seem to make incredible contested catches against us weekly (Dane Jackson has been regularly abused).

Meanwhile, our WRs never seem to make the difficult plays and are also blowing way too many of the easy ones.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

That's not even true. Last season he caught multiple crossing routes and multiple deep outs along the boundary. Yesterday he had a 20 yard reception on a stop route that was perfectly executed. 

He's more than just a deep shot guy. 

Do you see much diversity in the routes he runs? 

I don't. 

He runs that deep comeback, and the go-route. 

Yesterday when he caught that pass underneath and ran to the first down marker, I thought to myself, that's different. 

He does have those incut routes like the Kansas City game out of the endzone, he had one of those in the first Jets game too. 

1 hour ago, Billz4ever said:

Very true, but we better kick it into another gear come playoff time because I don't think we're going to win playoff football if our offense is struggling like this.

We can't really afford any more losses in the regular season either if we want to keep the #1 seed.  There's a chance KC could lose another game, but I don't see it happening.

One thing - we were saying this exact same thing as this exact same point last season.

It wasn't the offense which let us down in the play offs.

• Agree 1

11 minutes ago, mjt328 said:

The frustration is not just the drops.

It's that other receivers seem to make incredible contested catches against us weekly (Dane Jackson has been regularly abused).

Meanwhile, our WRs never seem to make the difficult plays and are also blowing way too many of the easy ones.

It's probably because our receivers are practicing against Dane Jackson and then get surprised at the CB play on game day. 

• Haha (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, UKBillFan said:

Yes. Sometimes the defense will bail out the offense; sometimes the offense will bail out the defense. Sometimes one side of the ball will let down the other. It's what happens in the NFL.

Except the Bills have been averaging 4 yards on first down for a month now. If you're happy with the offense, good for you.

14 minutes ago, Bruffalo said:

It's probably because our receivers are practicing against Dane Jackson and then get surprised at the CB play on game day. 

I almost spit out my drink on that one.

2 minutes ago, Billz4ever said:

Except the Bills have been averaging 4 yards on first down for a month now. If you're happy with the offense, good for you.

I almost spit out my drink on that one.

I'm not happy with it. I just recall last year our offense suddenly clicked so there's no reason to think the same thing can't happen this time. If it doesn't then there will be a LOT of questions

Besides, 4 yards on first down is fine, as long as we get 4 yards on second and 2 yards on third. Dink and dunk, keep the chains moving. We did it perfectly against the Pats. It is annoying we didn't do the same thing yesterday.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, UKBillFan said:

I'm not happy with it. I just recall last year our offense suddenly clicked so there's no reason to think the same thing can't happen this time. If it doesn't then there will be a LOT of questions

Besides, 4 yards on first down is fine, as long as we get 4 yards on second and 2 yards on third. Dink and dunk, keep the chains moving. We did it perfectly against the Pats. It is annoying we didn't do the same thing yesterday.

Not sure what you're basing such an assumption on, since I don't really see what last season has to do with this season.  Not saying I don't hope you're right, but I'm just not seeing it with this group.  I will be very happy if I'm wrong though.

3 minutes ago, Billz4ever said:

Not sure what you're basing such an assumption on, since I don't really see what last season has to do with this season.  Not saying I don't hope you're right, but I'm just not seeing it with this group.  I will be very happy if I'm wrong though.

My point is did we expect it from the offense at this point last year? I think we were in mass panic, especially at 7-6, thinking we might lose the division to the Pats and miss out on the play offs entirely. The weekend just gone in 2021 was when the offense woke up in the second half after an inconsistent run which included scoring six at the Jags, 15 at the Colts and 10 against the Pats. Even then, the four game regular season winning streak was hardly easy on offense despite the scores, especially weeks 17 and 18.

But when it mattered, when we needed them to turn on the after burners, when we needed to carry the team - they did. Will we do that this year? I hope so. I do not think our offense, in terms of players, is any worse than last year; indeed I'd say we're slightly better. The big question is if Dorsey and Josh bring out the best in each other and is the former experienced enough to take us through this sticky patch and see us click again. All we have is hope.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

After yesterday they passed the Green Bay Packers for most dropped passes by unit.  
  Part of this maybe weather, how hard Josh throws, or maybe it is just they are street level free agent talented.
 I really don’t want this to be the reason they don’t win the Super Bowl but man these guys should lock themselves on like a jugs machine. 

a bunch of low drop % in winter weather climates and theres plenty of all time greats that did it in poor weather places. 

maybe there there is something about Josh’s zip that hurts catch ability, but it sure seems like some times guys aren’t fighting through contact to get to contested ball, and instead waiting for it to come to them. 

• Like (+1) 1

What are people's thoughts of WR Receiver Coach, Cha Hall?

He seems to get a lot of respect/love from fans, but I'm not sure why.  Is it merited?  Yeah, I know the players love him, but they're also dropping balls left and right.

Lord knows there's been a lot of (idiotic) posts demeaning Dorsey/Frazier/McDermott, so with these statisics, perhaps we should discuss Coach Hall too.

13 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

a bunch of low drop % in winter weather climates and theres plenty of all time greats that did it in poor weather places. 

maybe there there is something about Josh’s zip that hurts catch ability, but it sure seems like some times guys aren’t fighting through contact to get to contested ball, and instead waiting for it to come to them. 

One thing I felt differently about for the early 90s Bills vs current Bills.  I loved to see the bad weather games, I felt like Buffalo had a real advantage in those game.  With the current squad, I really worry more when they play bad weather games.  Not that amounts to anything lol

3 hours ago, Gunsgoodtime said:

Need to upgrade the Wrs next year, been feeling that way most of the year, especially watching other games, other teams WRs.  Our unit outside of Diggs is poor.  Its amazing Allen has overcome it honestly 

Need good recievers to accomplish that.  Bills only have 1

Same excuse, the weather excuse only works when it affects everyone.  Jets wr had no problem catching it early on, but I guess it was just bad weather when the Bills had the ball

I think we need OL an upgrade than WRs.  Josh is getting very little time

Do we also have a lot of drops bc we are at the top or near the top in pass attempts in the league? More passes, more drops logically. 

that being said, yeh we do appear to drop the ball quite a bit. McKenzie is becoming unreliable - he shows flashes but he just makes too many boneheaded drops/plays. 

3 hours ago, JMM said:

Davis is curious. He used to be the king of the tough catch. This year he really has struggled.  Mckenzie always has had poor hands.  Shakir too small sample size. Knox, better but still an issue at times. Singletary struggles. Bottom line: WR top priority next off-season, followed VERY closely by O line. Other than maybe safety I don't want to see a defensive pick until at least the 5th rd!!

Davis still leads NFL-averaging 19 yards per catch.  And Gabe has over 1000 yards.  But where has he been lately?  Gabe got robbed out of a catch last week- he got his second foot down and dragged it a foot.  McDermott should have challenged.  Didn’t matter, we still scored.  But I read bill’s reporter Sal M ripping Gabe for not making that catch.  Gabe caught it, refs blew it

1 hour ago, Gunsgoodtime said:

One thing I felt differently about for the early 90s Bills vs current Bills.  I loved to see the bad weather games, I felt like Buffalo had a real advantage in those game.  With the current squad, I really worry more when they play bad weather games.  Not that amounts to anything lol

i was thinking about this too. Having a superstar RB made a difference… 

And of course Lofton and Reed HOF hands. 

Here's the data from the Pro Football Reference website.

Total Drops:         

Bills         28

Rank         2   (behind Green Bay with 30)

Drop Percentage:

Bills          6.4%

Rank         6   (behind Baltimore, Green Bay, San Francisco, NY Giants and Tennessee)

NFL Avg   5.2%

Total Targets:

Bills        437

Rank       6    (behind Tampa Bay, LA Chargers, Kansas City, Cincinnati and NY Jets)

Total Completions:

Bills        288

Rank       10   (behind Tampa Bay, LA Chargers, Kansas City, Cincinnati, Seattle, Indianapolis, Jacksonville, Minnesota and Arizona)

Average Yards Per Attempt:

Bills             7.92

Rank            7   (behind Miami, Kansas City, Philadelphia, Seattle, Chicago and Cincinnati)

NFL Avg.     7.43

Average Yards Per Completion:

Bills            12.01

Rank            6   (behind Miami, Kansas City, Chicago, San Francisco and Atlanta)

NFL Avg.    11.03

• Thank you (+1) 2

Personal opinions aside, clearly nobody has stepped up to fill the void left by Beasley… to be fairly Beasley couldn’t fill that void now either, his play fell off a cliff last year, can’t imagine he’s got much of anything left in the tank now.  It’s too bad Beckham likely won’t be ready in time to make a difference if signed.

However, Dorsey needs to adjust. Stop trotting the same bs out there. Involve Cook and Hines more rather than McKenzie. Maybe change it up a bit, pass out of heavy dual RB sets? I don’t see much creativity out of this passing game.  They were moving Diggs all over the field to start with then he just goes completely ghost out there for entire halves? 

Edited by Dr.Mantis_Toboggan
  • Like (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, Goin Breakdown said:

Ya see the rain stopped on all

of their possessions.

Ya know their QB was rocking 59.6% completions, and not all of those were throw aways

(Allen was 59.2%)

2 hours ago, BillsNutHawaii said:

Could be, but then why were the Jets not having issues catching the ball?   

They were

Edited by Beck Water

The Knox drop I found very annoying. He gets hit in the numbers by Josh and attempts to use only his hands to catch it instead of bringing it the body and making a bread basket catch, which would have kept it away from the DB slapping it out. Unfortunately that's what actually happened. Now I can overlook the mistake because Knox made an excellent athletic play on his TD. McKenzie's ? and Singletary's ? Were totally inexcusable. Brown had a catchable pass but got separated from it and never saw the ball his way again.

You know this is a business, to win and to do the job you are getting paid to do on the field.

These guys are not carring their load,  and in any other working environment your ass would be fired.

McKenzie, Davis and any other receivers that can't catch the ball need to be cut loose.  There are to many talented recievers to be had in the Draft to work with, instead of this dead weight.

I have no patience with Beane when he has the oportunity to sign other talent and instead signed these guys,  it has not worked at all this year and some of these contracts were questionable signings from day one.

Crowder = Fail    $4.0 mil contract

Davis this year = Fail  $4.0 Million 4 year contract

McKenzie =  Fail  $4.4 million 2 year contract

I would cut all these guys at the end of the season.

2 hours ago, Pete said:

Davis still leads NFL-averaging 19 yards per catch.  And Gabe has over 1000 yards.  But where has he been lately?  Gabe got robbed out of a catch last week- he got his second foot down and dragged it a foot.  McDermott should have challenged.  Didn’t matter, we still scored.  But I read bill’s reporter Sal M ripping Gabe for not making that catch.  Gabe caught it, refs blew it

That play was overturned by the “sky judge”. The reception counted. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

8 hours ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

funny all these threads finding everything the team is doing wrong while they sit at 10-3.

I think we need to go back to the drought days. maybe then some will appreciate what a winning team is, REGARDLESS of how they won. by one point, 10 or 40. a WIN is a WIN!!!

some will just never be satisfied.

it's a football forum to have football related discussions.   relax dude.   just because someone  points out something that could be better or needs work doesn't mean it's a personal attack against the team.   even if we win the Superbowl there's probably something that could be improved and there's nothing wrong with discussing that in a rational matter.  

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, Comebackkid said:

it's a football forum to have football related discussions.   relax dude.   just because someone  points out something that could be better or needs work doesn't mean it's a personal attack against the team.   even if we win the Superbowl there's probably something that could be improved and there's nothing wrong with discussing that in a rational matter.  

I actually posted that in the wrong thread.

I meant to post it here: 

I was up before the birds, as I always am and my first cup. as for relaxing and realizing it's a football discussion board and discussing on the level where they can improve, is cool. but I felt the need to express my distaste for all the negative threads/posts, after a win. it has been that way all season, after a win. 

I mean, if you lived through 10 years losing to the fins, losing 4 straight superbowls followed by 17 years of never sniffing the playoffs.  to a team that has made the playoffs the last 4 out of 5 seasons and with superbowl aspirations.

no, I believe, although looked down on, I felt the need to vent. somehow being human I tend to allow my emotions to get the best of me.

have a good day.

GO BILLS!!!

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.