Why did Saleh continue to play White

FLBillsGuy

because he traded a failed short term potential gain into a loss.  White played very well.  I hope he's not seriously injured.  He's likely to be in pain for weeks.

17 minutes ago, Success said:

This wasn't a Tua situation, imo.  No concussion - his ribs got hurt, but there is no danger to his future by playing him (imo).

He just showed he's a seriously tough dude. That was old school out there.  Big respect for that guy.

partially fractured ribs are difficult to see on X-ray, which I hoped he had before going back in.  A weakened rib could fracture and cause a collapsed lung  (it happens with heavy trauma) or much less likely, his heart.

Edited by redtail hawk
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Airseven said:

Because he was "cleared to return medically" and their only chance to win.

Allegedly.  More likely he was given enough Toradol to tranquilize an elephant and sent back out there.  What the Fish did to Tua was malfeasance in the extreme.  I'll be interested to see what the results are of the Mike White post-injury investigation.

Edited by Freddie's Dead
  • Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, redtail hawk said:

partially fractured ribs are difficult to see on X-ray, which I hoped he had before going back in.  A weakened rib could fracture and cause a collapsed lung  (it happens with heavy trauma) or much less likely, his heart.

Exactly.  There's a difference between being tough and risking your actual life.  I hope he doesn't have fractured ribs, but if so, borderline medical malpractice to send him back out there.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Simon said:

My wife has developed an interest in football this year.

At one point in the second half she asked me if the Bills would be more careful when tackling Mike White if they knew his ribs were hurt. :lol:

She may lack killer instinct.....

I’m sorry, but I am STILL laughing about this! 😂 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Simon said:

My wife has developed an interest in football this year.

At one point in the second half she asked me if the Bills would be more careful when tackling Mike White if they knew his ribs were hurt. :lol:

She may lack killer instinct.....

Marry that woman.  You chose wisely.

20 minutes ago, Freddie's Dead said:

Allegedly.  More likely he was given enough Toradol to tranquilize an elephant and sent back out there.  What the Fish did to Tua was malfeasance in the extreme.  I'll be interested to see what the results are of the Mike White post-injury investigation.

Post injury investigation?  Omg, unbelievable 

21 minutes ago, Freddie's Dead said:

I’m glad it wasn’t an autopsy. That guy got JACKED on multiple occasions. After that first (clean) hit by Milano, he came back and stood in there like a MAN. Respect that all day long. 

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, PaulieYayo said:

He ended up going to the hospital by ambulance right after the game because they were concerned about internal injuries. It’s precautionary but at least the sent him, hopefully just ribs 

At a guess, they were checking for pneumothorax before he can be cleared to fly home.  

• Like (+1) 3

Didn’t andrew luck have ribs which ended up being a punctured lung or something kinda bad.  

“it’s ribs” is a pretty weak reason to keep playing because it could be much more.  Nice to see him you got out but let’s see how he is for next week. 

I actually don’t care but if that was 17 I might think twice

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Eastport bills said:

Hard to believe Wilson is not the backup. Flacco is the equivalent of throwing a white flag out there. He’s not only a statue but he’s a turnover waiting to happen. Any QB that sustains rib injuries from a hit like Milano laid on White, should not be allowed to play. The Jets need White to get multiple wins in the next 4 weeks. Every hit after his return could have made that impossible.

That tells you a lot about the Wilson situation.

4 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

At a guess, they were checking for pneumothorax before he can be cleared to fly home.  

presumably didn't have one when they took him to the locker room.  At least not a large enough one to see  (I hope!).  He took several more vicious chest hit after tho...

Desperation. Playoffs on the line, Flacco turned it over immediately.  In hindsight it was a terrible move. That hit by Oliver was viciousn. He put all his power in that 1. Then the Milano hit on a straight line blitz. Sheesh

Salute to White. That's a tough *** kid. Them hits were brutal. This kid can def be a long term starter in this league. Huge improvement over last year

1 hour ago, Olliemets said:

Respect for Mike White

Glad we escaped with win though. Makes it easier to be magnanimous 

kids a gamer.

Kids a gamer? He was brought to the hospital after the game. Playing through pain is fine, but playing through a trip to the hospital is just plain dumb. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

39 minutes ago, Toledo Bill said:

That tells you a lot about the Wilson situation.

Besides being a liability on the field, he must be toxic in the locker room. It so unusual to see a second year QB, as the number 2 player selected , come in with zero leadership skills. As great as the Jets draft was this year , they set their franchise back years by whiffing on Wilson.

26 minutes ago, Saint Doug said:

Kids a gamer? He was brought to the hospital after the game. Playing through pain is fine, but playing through a trip to the hospital is just plain dumb. 

I’ve seen lots of comments to the contrary on here but the coach should have sat him down. Of course the player wants to play. So does a boxer want to box. There’s no injury referee in an NFL game (other than concussion) so it falls on the training staff and the head coach to tell the kid it’s not his day and take his helmet. 

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

1 hour ago, CoudyBills said:

Post injury investigation?  Omg, unbelievable 

If it was his head, there would be an investigation.  If it turns out his ribs are fractured, I would expect the same here.  As pointed out elsewhere, fractured ribs could lead to a punctured lung, or heart issues if the pericardium were to be pierced.  Actual life-threatening *****, like Drew Bledsoe shearing a blood vessel.

2 hours ago, redtail hawk said:

because he traded a failed short term potential gain into a loss.  White played very well.  I hope he's not seriously injured.  He's likely to be in pain for weeks.

This.

Just now, Freddie's Dead said:

If it was his head, there would be an investigation.  If it turns out his ribs are fractured, I would expect the same here.  As pointed out elsewhere, fractured ribs could lead to a punctured lung, or heart issues if the pericardium were to be pierced.  Actual life-threatening *****, like Drew Bledsoe shearing a blood vessel.

I know what you mean.  I just think j an investigation would be ridiculous.  They have x-ray machines in the locker room.  Not sure, but I assume ultrasound as well?  They can check for fractures and bleeding in the room before clearing him for play.

3 minutes ago, CoudyBills said:

I know what you mean.  I just think j an investigation would be ridiculous.  They have x-ray machines in the locker room.  Not sure, but I assume ultrasound as well?  They can check for fractures and bleeding in the room before clearing him for play.

When he left the field, I am sure they took x-rays and gave him an evaluation.

Presumably they didn't find anything "injured" and so he was cleared to play.

Folks here are being critical of the decision to play him, but we have NO understanding of the medical information on hand at the time.

1 minute ago, CoudyBills said:

You're thinking that the team doctors have Mike White's best interests as their priority.  As we've seen countless times, team doctors will shoot them up with enough Toradol or other painkillers to make them able to play.  The damage done only appears after the game.  You may be right though, because the NFL concussion policy had to be investigated in the wake of the Tua injury.  The NFLPA may not care enough about an in-game rib injury, although they definitely should.

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.