Safety Help - who might be available?

Beck Water

I think we do pretty well with Hamlin replacing Hyde, and he'll continue to get better.

But IMHO if both Poyer and Hyde are out, it's a drop-off with Hamlin and Johnson esp against the run.

Even if Poyer is not out for very long, I think our depth at safety is very thin and reinforcements would be prudent.

So.....who is available either by trade, or lurking on someone's PS, who might be an upgrade on Johnson or at least decent depth?

Teams who are edging towards "out of it" and might be trade partners would include:

AFC  Texans Steelers Jags Raiders - possibly Browns if they lose to the Bengals tonight, but they're likely still hoping to run the tables when Watson returns

NFC  Lions Panthers - I don't think the Rams Packers and Bears have given up on the season yet, nor have the Bucs and Saints with being only 1 game behind the division lead.

I would call the Raiders about Jonathan Abram.  They did not pick up his 5th year option.  He has shown steady improvement this year from being a disappointment as a first rounder.  He can play free, strong and come in the box on running plays.  Ran a 4.45 at the combine and is a player on the rise.  He is stout against the run and his tackling has improved.

He could benefit from being in this defense.  Would offer the Cody Ford 5th and go to a 4th if they want more.  Evaluate him for a longer term deal this last half a year.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Disagree 3
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, JoeF said:

I would call the Raiders about Jonathan Abram.  They did not pick up his 5th year option.  He has shown steady improvement this year from being a disappointment as a first rounder.  He can play free, strong and come in the box on running plays.  Ran a 4.45 at the combine and is a player on the rise.  He is stout against the run and his tackling has improved.

He could benefit from being in this defense.  Would offer the Cody Ford 5th and go to a 4th if they want more.  Evaluate him for a longer term deal this last half a year.

All fair points.. But you left out the part of how horrible he is in coverage. 

• Agree 1

10 minutes ago, JoeF said:

Thanks for a reasonable response anyway. 

As far as teams who might be willing to listen in trade talks, I'm thinking the Steelers, Texans, Jags, and Raiders in the AFC and the Lions and Panthers in the NFC.

What about Xavier Woods from the Panthers?  I know nothing about how he's played, but he's a reasonable salary this year and signed for 2 more years.  The Carolina Connection has presumably dried up some with a change of GMs and HCs but I think the Bills staff still know enough people in the building to get a "feel" for how he prepares and plays (though that failed them with Fat Kelvin)

8 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

All fair points.. But you left out the part of how horrible he is in coverage. 

I guess a question is, is it him? or is it his coaching/scheme? 

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

I guess a question is, is it him? or is it his coaching/scheme? 

It’s him. He’s a Jamal adams type safety. He might be one of the hardest hitters in the league. If I remember correctly he’s hurt himself more than once trying to crush players his first couple years. He does seem to be turning a corner but maturity and being in a contract year help that. He’s not a bad player but for a team that plays coverage as much as Buffalo I don’t think he’d be very successful in that scheme. 

• Agree 1

I posted this in the other thread, but Abram, Edmunds, Wingard are probably the ones maybe available on one year expiring deals on crap teams.

I think the most logical move for the Bills is, move Neal back to safety full time.  He came into the league as a safety and still have no idea why he wasn't kept there.

During training camp, they were evaluating Mccould vs Lewis as the last roster spot.  Both guys were getting time at safety.  My guess, Cam Lewis could probably step in too.

• Agree 1

55 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

The answer is on the roster— start getting Benford some reps! 

I would tend to agree.  I'm sure Beane will look around to see what might be available, but most likely it's "next man up".

Just have to hope that as of now Poyer can be back relatively healthy later in the season.

1 hour ago, Beck Water said:

I think we do pretty well with Hamlin replacing Hyde, and he'll continue to get better.

But IMHO if both Poyer and Hyde are out, it's a drop-off with Hamlin and Johnson esp against the run.

Even if Poyer is not out for very long, I think our depth at safety is very thin and reinforcements would be prudent.

So.....who is available either by trade, or lurking on someone's PS, who might be an upgrade on Johnson or at least decent depth?

Teams who are edging towards "out of it" and might be trade partners would include:

AFC  Texans Steelers Jags Raiders - possibly Browns if they lose to the Bengals tonight, but they're likely still hoping to run the tables when Watson returns

NFC  Lions Panthers - I don't think the Rams Packers and Bears have given up on the season yet, nor have the Bucs and Saints with being only 1 game behind the division lead.

Do you want a Trade???

Chuck Clark from the Ravens.. 27 years old, has another year after this on a cheap Contract.  16 game starter before got burried behind Williams and Hamilton this year.  THAT is the trade.

3 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Do you want a Trade???

Chuck Clark from the Ravens.. 27 years old, has another year after this on a cheap Contract.  16 game starter before got burried behind Williams and Hamilton this year.  THAT is the trade.

The thing is, he's not buried behind them.  He's played 100% of the defensive snaps in all 8 games.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/C/ClarCh00.htm

I'd love him, sure, but why would the Birdies deal him?

1 hour ago, boyst said:

Dean Marlowe for a 6th

I wouldn't hate it, but since he just started a win for the Falcons and they're currently leading their crap division with a record that would be last in a more competitive group, I think they say "nope"

Edited by Beck Water

9 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

The thing is, he's not buried behind them.  He's played 100% of the defensive snaps in all 8 games.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/C/ClarCh00.htm

I'd love him, sure, but why would the Birdies deal him?

I wouldn't hate it, but since he just started a win for the Falcons and they're currently leading their crap division with a record that would be last in a more competitive group, I think they say "nope"

Hamilton and Williams are the "starters"  Granted I will give you that the Ravens have been playing 3 safeties due to their INJ at CB.  And then Williams went on IR.  I forgot about that, so yep take that idea off the list.

Edited by MAJBobby

If the Bills feel that there is an actual need, I have confidence that they have anticipated that two 30 plus year old safeties have a limited shelf life that may expire suddenly.  We don't know what the team does during the closed portions of practice and we don't know who they have prepared.  Some contributors in this forum have already identified some possible options (Benford, Neal, T. Johnson, etc.).  If they don't make a move at the trade deadline, they are comfortable with their current options.

2 hours ago, JoeF said:

Abram is big time hitter and best in run game. Coverage skills are not great. If we go S we need good cover guy imho. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.