Christian McCaffrey traded to the 49ers for multiple 2nd day draft picks

Draconator

3 hours ago, HappyDays said:

I'm not talking about practice. I'm talking about live game reps. 3 years is a really long time to go without any consistent live game reps. It's hard to see a path for him becoming a successful QB. Not that I'm advocating they should move on from him, but they need to be realistic about his chances and make decisions accordingly.

If he doesn't pan out they need draft picks and young players at premium positions. Not a RB with an injury history.

They didn't make this trade because of Trey Lance anyways. They made it because they think they can win a Super Bowl this year. Personally I think they are overrating their own chances. The NFC is weak but they still need to actually beat whatever AFC team makes it there if they get that far.

This is a multi year move make no mistake. And they wouldn't be drafting QB this year with those picks anyway. For most teams when they fail they want a high enough pick to grab a top QB. 

It makes zero difference if you think Lance is good, that's completely irrelevant.  What you need to understand is they think he's good so they are going to support him as best they can to succeed.  Premier skill talent around him helps that's indisputable. 

Taking a year or two to develop your mechanics, develop a full understanding of the offense and concepts, and practicing those concepts is very useful and applicable to development. In fact, for some QBs its more helpful because they don't get their head bashed in while trying to learn (see David Carr). Aaron Rogers spent 4 years on the bench then came in and dominated.

3 hours ago, NewEra said:

That game was in a monsoon—-and the OL got destroyed.  I didn’t know that OLmen were at a disadvantage when playing in a monsoon-  

Their OL has been 🤮 this year and their 2nd and 3rd best OLmen are free agents next year.  

Low sacks given up doesn’t prove an OL is good.   Nor does it extrapolate how good their OL will be next year if they lose two of their best starters.  I’ve watched 5 

of their games this year (and most of them the last 12 years).  Their OL hasn’t been good.  You can talk about jimmys sacks all you want.  I know what I see

You realize they can still improve their line and resign those guys right? This doesn't stop them. They have over $51 million in cap space next year before they do a couple easy restructures/extensions. 

7 hours ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

I still wouldn’t have traded a 2nd 3rd 4th and 5th in 2024 for him even in hindsight if we don’t win a superbowl and they do.  We’d have to let some players walk to keep him too 

they are in danger of going all in on this year and not winning it then being screwed in the future especially because they traded up for Lance also.  I still think the eagles and cowboys with Dak are gonna be tough.  It’s hard to count out Brady figuring it out too 

With the NFC anything is possible, it’s all weak.  Somebody is going to the SB, from there ya never know.

3 hours ago, NewEra said:

You’re comparing Lance practicing with the team to playing football.  They aren’t even close to the same thing.  And last year, he was practicing as a backup QB-  very few reps.  The dude has probably played less football than any starting qb in league history.  But he’s practiced…..

Aaron Rogers sat the bench 4 years. 

It's irrelevant about what you think of Lance chance to succeed. What's important is the 49ers perspective they do believe in him and they are doing everything possible to support him and give him the best weapons, which they are doing. 

Everyone thought Josh Allen was terrible and look how that turned out. 

7 minutes ago, ArtVandalay said:

This is a multi year move make no mistake. And they wouldn't be drafting QB this year with those picks anyway. For most teams when they fail they want a high enough pick to grab a top QB. 

It makes zero difference if you think Lance is good, that's completely irrelevant.  What you need to understand is they think he's good so they are going to support him as best they can to succeed.  Premier skill talent around him helps that's indisputable. 

Taking a year or two to develop your mechanics, develop a full understanding of the offense and concepts, and practicing those concepts is very useful and applicable to development. In fact, for some QBs its more helpful because they don't get their head bashed in while trying to learn (see David Carr). Aaron Rogers spent 4 years on the bench then came in and dominated.

You realize they can still improve their line and resign those guys right? This doesn't stop them. They have over $51 million in cap space next year before they do a couple easy restructures/extensions. 

They have 51M in cap space before they do anything?  Link?

2 minutes ago, ArtVandalay said:

It's irrelevant about what you think of Lance chance to succeed. What's important is the 49ers perspective they do believe in him and they are doing everything possible to support him and give him the best weapons, which they are doing. 

Aaron Rodgers sat the bench for 4 years.  Who else did?  

His daddy had RB success and Super Bowls with 6th rd picks and undrafted FA’s.   Yet Kyle seems to think he needs to use several high picks and spend way over the league average in order to achieve what his dad did with nothing.  His dad is one of the men that trivialized the position.  

7 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

he's oddly enough correct

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/san-francisco-49ers/cap/2023/

image.png.a5b4f9685b0667f9e2ae7fb29e2211e1.png

Edit: Also FWIW we are ($7million) - yes that is over the projected cap

Thanks- I hadn’t seen that.  I guess it makes more sense-  50 million rollover…..wtf, how does that even happen?

that will allow them to sign 3-5 of their 10 free agent starters.  

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

He’s only played in 16 games the last 3 years if that’s not injury prone I don’t know what is 

Come on, you know that is a false way to say that...you are including this year as the "3 years".  He was NOT injured for 3 years.  He played 10 games in 2 seasons, and then this year he has been 100%.  There is no reason to skew information to make it seem worse than it is.  CMC had no injury history in HS, College, or the NFL outside those 2 years.  That does not make him injury prone, none of those injuries were career threatening.  

Fred Taylor, Frank Gore, Matthew Stafford, etc etc...all labeled injury prone because of injuries in consecutive seasons just to go on and put it behind them and never be an issue again.  

• Awesome! (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, ArtVandalay said:

Ya…if that’s so…the niners are wrong about Lance…he is going nowhere… JA is the ultimate outlier

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

His daddy had RB success and Super Bowls with 6th rd picks and undrafted FA’s.   Yet Kyle seems to think he needs to use several high picks and spend way over the league average in order to achieve what his dad did with nothing.  His dad is one of the men that trivialized the position.  

And how did daddy do with those scrubs? He made some decent fantasy football pickups for us but won nothing with Tatum Bell, Shaun Droughns, Mike Anderson,  etc... the only time he won anything was with Terrell Davis who was an absolute monster that posted back to back 2k yards from scrimmage. 

I'm not advocating for high investments in RBs, I'm really not.  I think contracts like the one the Packers have Aaron Jones are stupid... however... there are a few select elite talents that are worth it every so often and with what CMC brings as both a runner and receiver is an immense help for a young QB. Easy screens, check downs, and designed 5 yard dumps that keep the chains moving and create explosive plays? Now you are simplifying the game for your QB and keeping the defense honest.

Tom Brady played only part time in college and sat for a year+ before he got the call.  Steve Young was buried for years. It's extremely common for QBs to sit for 1 year too... but all of that is irrelevant my or your opinion of Lance is meaningless, what matters is the 49ers doing the best they can to support what they consider a good QB.

The only outstanding issue with CMC is he is made of paper machete. 

Edited by ArtVandalay

1 hour ago, Reed83HOF said:

he's oddly enough correct

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/san-francisco-49ers/cap/2023/

image.png.a5b4f9685b0667f9e2ae7fb29e2211e1.png

Edit: Also FWIW we are ($7million) - yes that is over the projected cap

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

That 2023 cap number is wrong.  Give Spotrac time to calculate his contract.

Both Spotrac and OTC have the 2022 cap space for the 9ers at $4M, not $50M.

9 hours ago, Billz4ever said:

Me either, but there's apparently a huge CMC fan club on twobillsdrive. who were ready to part ways with a 1st rounder to get him here.

High-motor lunch-pail RB who can play at a high level, no surprise the HMLP lovers were drooling.

15 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

That 2023 cap number is wrong.  Give Spotrac time to calculate his contract.

Both Spotrac and OTC have the 2022 cap space for the 9ers at $4M, not $50M.

I won’t pretend to know and I don’t really care either way.  I don’t worry about NFC teams-  they aren’t our primary competition. 

did they really roll over 50M from this year? How the hell did they do that? They aren’t paying a qb big bucks but they’re paying a bunch of other guys big bucks.  I’m

really confused.  Can anyone shed some light on the details?

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Come on, you know that is a false way to say that...you are including this year as the "3 years".  He was NOT injured for 3 years.  He played 10 games in 2 seasons, and then this year he has been 100%.  There is no reason to skew information to make it seem worse than it is.  CMC had no injury history in HS, College, or the NFL outside those 2 years.  That does not make him injury prone, none of those injuries were career threatening.  

Fred Taylor, Frank Gore, Matthew Stafford, etc etc...all labeled injury prone because of injuries in consecutive seasons just to go on and put it behind them and never be an issue again.  

Dude stop even the sporting news agrees with me and it cost the Panthers what they really wanted https://www.sportingnews.com/us/amp/nfl/news/christian-mccaffrey-trade-injury-history/hatblf1dnzwqn8zpfieyynjb 

14 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I won’t pretend to know and I don’t really care either way.  I don’t worry about NFC teams-  they aren’t our primary competition. 

did they really roll over 50M from this year? How the hell did they do that? They aren’t paying a qb big bucks but they’re paying a bunch of other guys big bucks.  I’m

It's how the contracts are structured.  Deebo is only 8MM next year.  They have 20MM dead money this year.  Jimmy G comes off the books. They don't have a pricey QB. They don't have a ton of big money guys and even CMC is only 12MM.... CMC, Deebo, Aiyuk will count for a combined $25MM next year... hell CMC, Deebo, Aiyuk, and Lance will cost them about $5MM less than Josh Allen alone. 

Not bad for a dumb team that doesn't know how to build, right?

• Like (+1) 2

32 minutes ago, NewEra said:

No idea but they had the 3rd worst cap space going into the season.  I know they restructured Jimmy G and Trent Williams but that wasnt 50 million worth.  Also Over the cap is not reporting their cap space the same as Sportrac.  OTC says the 49ers have 3.9 mil left.  Not sure who to believe.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I agree, he's skewing the way he's saying that.  But CMC is considered injury prone right now, no way around that one.  He's had like 5 injuries the past couple years and they have to heavily manage his practice load just to keep him available. He got a lot of usage and his body started getting dinged up. 

5 different injuries in 2 seasons is injury prone.

9/20/20 Grade 3 Ankle sprain, 6 games

11/8/20 AC Joint Shoulder Sprain, 4 games

12/9/20 glute strain,  4 games

9/23/21 grade 2 hamstring, 5 games

11/28/21 grade 2 ankle sprain,  IR remainder season in wk12

They have given him a special practice schedule to allow his body to recover, intense recovery he termed it...

Edited by ArtVandalay

30 minutes ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

Dude stop even the sporting news agrees with me and it cost the Panthers what they really wanted https://www.sportingnews.com/us/amp/nfl/news/christian-mccaffrey-trade-injury-history/hatblf1dnzwqn8zpfieyynjb 

No you said he’s only played in 16 games in 3 years.  You are literally calling this season a full year in that statement when ONLY 6 games have been played, which he has not missed any.  

He missed games with injuries in ONLY 2 seasons…2020 and 2021.  Implying it’s been over 3 is a false statement.  

He played in 10 games over 2 years then played in 100% of the games this season.  Those are the facts, you don’t get to skew the language them to make them sound worse. 

23 minutes ago, ArtVandalay said:

I agree, he's skewing the way he's saying that.  But CMC is considered injury prone right now, no way around that one.  He's had like 5 injuries the past couple years and they have to heavily manage his practice load just to keep him available. He got a lot of usage and his body started getting dinged up. 

5 different injuries in 2 seasons is injury prone.

9/20/20 Grade 3 Ankle sprain, 6 games

11/8/20 AC Joint Shoulder Sprain, 4 games

12/9/20 glute strain,  4 games

9/23/21 grade 2 hamstring, 5 games

11/28/21 grade 2 ankle sprain,  IR remainder season in wk12

They have given him a special practice schedule to allow his body to recover, intense recovery he termed it...

So did Fred Taylor, and then they took the steps to make sure they prevented it from persisting and he spent the rest of his career mostly injury free and had a long great career.  

Im not saying he definitely won’t still get injuries, I’m just saying it’s not a foregone conclusion he will either.  

14 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

No you said he’s only played in 16 games in 3 years.  You are literally calling this season a full year in that statement when ONLY 6 games have been played, which he has not missed any.  

He missed games with injuries in ONLY 2 seasons…2020 and 2021.  Implying it’s been over 3 is a false statement.  

He played in 10 games over 2 years then played in 100% of the games this season.  Those are the facts, you don’t get to skew the language them to make them sound worse. 

So did Fred Taylor, and then they took the steps to make sure they prevented it from persisting and he spent the rest of his career mostly injury free and had a long great career.  

Im not saying he definitely won’t still get injuries, I’m just saying it’s not a foregone conclusion he will either.  

Ok... and Taylor was injury prone too. He missed a ton of games and it was an accomplishment for him to be healthy for 2 seasons in his career. 

Injury prone means injuries tend to happen often to a player. Not that it's a virtual certainty he will be injured. 

CMC carries considerable injury risk. Doesn't mean injury is a foregone conclusion but he's certainly at a heightened risk.

23 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

We’re in on something though. What might it be?

3 options

Who is the best Safety we could potentially get?  Is there one? Hamlin has been solid but I’d like him to be the depth piece on a SB run.  

A slot WR.

Dark Horse:

David Montgomery 

Bears need picks and you know they like Herbert more anyway

Edited by Big Blitz

1 hour ago, ArtVandalay said:

It's how the contracts are structured.  Deebo is only 8MM next year.  They have 20MM dead money this year.  Jimmy G comes off the books. They don't have a pricey QB. They don't have a ton of big money guys and even CMC is only 12MM.... CMC, Deebo, Aiyuk will count for a combined $25MM next year... hell CMC, Deebo, Aiyuk, and Lance will cost them about $5MM less than Josh Allen alone. 

Not bad for a dumb team that doesn't know how to build, right?

I don’t see how that adds up to 50M in rollover when they were against the cap when the season began- opening up some money from Jimmy, but not that much.  I don’t see how Deebos extension can free up that much when the original 4th year of his rookie deal was under 2M.  

Who said they were a dumb team that doesn’t know how to build?  I said it a strange strategy to spend so many assets on the RB position.  And I’m right.  It is a strange strategy.  This RB investment is up there with the saints trading for Ricky Williams and the Vikings trading for Herschel Walker.  And neither were coming off 2 season ending injuries.  

1 hour ago, Big Blitz said:

3 options

Who is the best Safety we could potentially get?  Is there one? Hamlin has been solid but I’d like him to be the depth piece on a SB run.  

A slot WR.

Dark Horse:

David Montgomery 

Bears need picks and you know they like Herbert more anyway

I like your options 1 & 3: getting safety help and David Montgomery — a proven back who's over 220 lbs (our heaviest back, Moss, is listed at just 207).

Shakir and Crowder are more than fine at slot, IMHO.

8 hours ago, HappyDays said:

According to DVOA they have an 8.2% chance of reaching the Super Bowl, and a 3.4% chance of winning it. That's slightly better than their 3.1% chance of ending up with a top 5 pick in the draft (which would be gifted to the Miami Dolphins).

Not sure I like "those odds." McCaffrey might change each of those percentages by 0.2?

The 49ers are tied for first place in their very winnable division and have the second highest point differential in the NFC.

Last year they won 2 games on the road as a wildcard to reach the NFCCG..........so if they win the division they are better positioned than last year entering the tournament...........you paint it out like they are some scrub in-the-hunt also-ran like the 2017 Bills with the worst point differential of an AFC playoff team in 30 years.

And I'm not sure you understand what those numbers/percentages are telling you.   The Bills entered the season as the SB favorite.......one of the smallest favorites ever with a sub 7% chance to win the Super Bowl.    So an 8.2% chance of reaching the SB isn't minuscule.

3 hours ago, mannc said:

Especially when they are highly unsettled at QB…

I mean, if you don't have a QB, you get as many other playmakers as possible. They also want to eliminate the variables around Lance to see if he can truly be a franchise guy. Just like Miami's trying to do with Tua.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.