MNF - Broncos @ Chargers

Steptide

4 minutes ago, QCity said:

In 2020 he had his best statistical season.

Some stats yes. I remember it being a very good season that ended so-so. Along with a first round playoff exit. 

I’ll admit I’m more anti-Russ than I need to be. But he, like Aaron Rodgers, have ego problems and want to get paid and not take ownership of their mistakes or work to build chemistry and elevate the play of their teammates. They have historically posted numbers but haven’t been to a super bowl in a long time and it’s largely because of their performance when it really mattered.

4 hours ago, Big Turk said:

They also claim he is athletic but I don't really see that either.

He is super stiff we he runs, he isn't elusive and shifty in the pocket like Mahomes and he doesn't have the running ability, athletic ability or juke moves that Allen has...

Maybe he is athletic in that he can run out of trouble but his running doesn't usually lead to much.

Not to give any leeway to Herbert, but how much of that is due to his injury?

I have not thought he was on the same level as Allen, but he is dealing with a severe Rib injury that probably limits his mobility and impacts his ability to throw to some degree.

He has always been less impactful as a runner/mover than Allen and Mahomes, but right now he has no mobility and I think that and the pain is causing him to play less like he did his 1st 2 year and more like a stiff robot.

• Agree 1

Herbert did not look good at all.  I'm assuming he's playing hurt.  Didn't use his legs much, slow eyes, throwing inaccurate balls and high on many of them. He was back pedaling alot and throwing to the sidelines.  I'm sure Denver's D had something to do with his performance too.

4 hours ago, Rochesterfan said:

Not to give any leeway to Herbert, but how much of that is due to his injury?

I have not thought he was on the same level as Allen, but he is dealing with a severe Rib injury that probably limits his mobility and impacts his ability to throw to some degree.

He has always been less impactful as a runner/mover than Allen and Mahomes, but right now he has no mobility and I think that and the pain is causing him to play less like he did his 1st 2 year and more like a stiff robot.

Not that much in terms of athleticism...I've noticed the same thing last season

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, BillsfaninSB said:

Russ is bad but he has got nothing to work with and had to run for his life.  

Sutton and Jeudy are good WRs

47 minutes ago, zow2 said:

Herbert did not look good at all.  I'm assuming he's playing hurt.  Didn't use his legs much, slow eyes, throwing inaccurate balls and high on many of them. He was back pedaling alot and throwing to the sidelines.  I'm sure Denver's D had something to do with his performance too.

yep, rib injury from a few weeks ago

4 minutes ago, FrenchConnection said:

That’s Gordon and Jeudy. Gordon’s pissed because he’s not playing and Jeudy’s pissed because he keeps getting open and Russ isn’t find him. That locker room is going to revolt against both the coach and the QB.

Gordon isn’t playing because he can’t hold onto the ball. Jeudy also started poorly in Denver with lots of drops, and he hasn’t exactly earned the right to be pissed off about not being a primary target. 
Having said that (and having watched way too much Broncos football the last few years living in Colorado), it astounds me that basically the same personnel on offense performed better with Teddy Bridgewater at QB last year. It wasn’t a good offense, but it looked more like a modern NFL offense than the crap show Hackett and Wilson have put together so far. They are in way too deep with Wilson to even think about moving on from him. That’s why I see Hackett getting the axe pretty soon (bye week?), the defensive coordinator taking over, and a new offensive coordinator coming in from off the street. It really is that bad. With this defense, even a marginally competent Teddy Bridgewater offense would have them right in the hunt. 

8 hours ago, BillsfaninSB said:

Somewhat agree.  His total lack of awareness hasnt helped his offensive line look very good either.   He spun left a few times yesterday right into the blitz.  Had he moved right he would have had all day to throw.

Still think he is a talented player, but man their head coach is way overmatched.   They need to make a move quick, and possibly for someone who has worked with Russ before. 

10 hours ago, BillsfaninSB said:

They said Hackett is trying to force him to play on schedule in his offense and his entire career is predicated on making big plays and deep throws off schedule.  IMO, Hackett trying to fit a square peg into a round hole.  Never going to work with Wilson and him unless he tailors his offense to his strengths.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Hackett's Denver offense looks eerily familiar.  Like the one we ran when he was our OC.  Run up the middle on first down.  2nd and long. 3rd and long.  Dink and dunk and short passes to RBs.  Not many points.

Russ is square peg in this system.  On 2 plays they let Russ do his thing and they scored their only TD.  Then back to what doesn't work.

15 hours ago, MRW said:

Are sideline reporters actually interviewing coaches while the game is going on now, or are those segments prerecorded?

I think it depends on what you call "while the game was going".  Using the definition of "play clock running", no way.  Those are recorded during a TV break.  The interviews are played immediately after a break and usually when the game resumes to give that "live" impression though. 

14 minutes ago, NEBranch said:

I think it depends on what you call "while the game was going".  Using the definition of "play clock running", no way.  Those are recorded during a TV break.  The interviews are played immediately after a break and usually when the game resumes to give that "live" impression though. 

They need to stop this in all sports. It's a waste of time and adds nothing to the game. "Coach, you're losing. What do you have to do to win"?

• Agree 1

16 minutes ago, nucci said:

They need to stop this in all sports. It's a waste of time and adds nothing to the game. "Coach, you're losing. What do you have to do to win"?

yeah pretty much.  Sometimes I think the networks are just trying to get a juicy, scandalous soundbite or something.

54 minutes ago, NEBranch said:

That makes sense. It's still stupid, but not quite as stupid as it could be.

14 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

B.S.

yeah no. Russ is washed. Last week his shoulder needed injections. This week it’s hamstring. He’s washed. Honestly not sure he was elite to begin with. All he had was roll out moon ball, strong defense, strong running game. This is why Pete never let him cook and when he did Wilson failed. 

2 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

yeah no. Russ is washed. Last week his shoulder needed injections. This week it’s hamstring. He’s washed. Honestly not sure he was elite to begin with. All he had was roll out moon ball, strong defense, strong running game. This is why Pete never let him cook and when he did Wilson failed. 

Yea, we are seeing Geno Smith play pretty well (more times than not) this year in that same Seattle offense. I really think that offense is very QB friendly and hides the flaws of a QB well. I think he can rebound a bit if Hackett swallows his pride a bit and figures out what they did to hide his warts in Seattle a bit and adapts his offense rather than keep trying to force Wilson into a system that needs strong QB play (Like an Aaron Rodgers) to run. Maybe not let Russ cook...but let Russ order take out. 

• Agree 2

5 hours ago, mannc said:

Nothing to work with?  He has great receivers…and that o-line is hardly awful.

Warner did a breakdown on Wilson and what's going wrong.

In this film, he points out a number of plays where Wilson (and Allen) had a safer open option to get a completion and yards.

In one example, both of them pass it up to go for a risker deep (Allen) or endzone (Wilson) shot.  Shakir makes the catch; Jerry Jeudy does not.

But the surer shorter completion was there for Wilson, he just went for the throat and failed to connect.

On the next play, the play works as designed but Wilson throws a bit behind the WR instead of placing it where the receiver can run into it, making it a contested ball his receiver doesn't come down with.  (In another video, Warner points that out that the receiver starts to cut to the sideline, where he would have a clean catch - but Wilson throws it deeper, basically placing it where his receiver has to run into coverage)

Allen's throw is a bit off as well, and Shakir has to come back and go low for it, making it more contested.  But he makes the play.

What I take away from Warner's analysis:

1) Wilson has protection and well-designed plays that give him open receivers.  Sometimes Wilson is skipping the "gimme" throws to open receivers in favor of the higher difficulty, deeper "kill shot"

2) His receivers aren't helping him out with contested plays they could make at times

3) Wilson could also help his receivers out with different ball placement

4) and sometimes Wilson is just missing his throw

This is all a very verbose and documented way of saying "you're right, Wilson has protection and receivers enough of the time, he's just not taking advantage of them well enough.

3 hours ago, Big Turk said:

They said Hackett is trying to force him to play on schedule in his offense and his entire career is predicated on making big plays and deep throws off schedule.  IMO, Hackett trying to fit a square peg into a round hole.  Never going to work with Wilson and him unless he tailors his offense to his strengths.

I'm sorry, maybe you said in a previous post - who is "they"?

Edited by Beck Water

Hackett is a watered down version of a watered down version of a good coach. 

Hackett made coffee runs for a guy who was in the same room with McVay for 5 minutes. Eventually the trickle down magic ends. 

At one point the kid at Starbucks who gave Hackett the coffee to give to LeFleur was interviewing for HC jobs because Lefleur worked for McVay for a season but luckily nobody bit. 

Edited by TheFunPolice

15 hours ago, BillsfaninSB said:

See post above.  Not true.

15 hours ago, Old Coot said:

According to NFL Rule 10 Article 1  Item 1:

"Item 1. Contact with Receiver. It is interference if a player of the kicking team contacts the receiver, or causes a passive player of either team to contact the receiver, before or simultaneous to the receiver touching the ball."

Presumably when the Charger in front of the kick returner attempts to block, he's no longer a passive player. Hence he can be pushed into the kick returner in a fair catch situation and not be called for interference.

Thank you!  That is SUBTLE - seems like something Bill Belicheck would take advantage of.

• Agree 1

19 minutes ago, BillsfaninSB said:

Needed this Bronco team to get their act together so they can beat the Jets. 

I mean some of these fodder teams are going to make the playoffs. Easier to potentially play against a fodder team you know well then a fodder team you rarely ever play.

3 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

I mean some of these fodder teams are going to make the playoffs. Easier to potentially play against a fodder team you know well then a fodder team you rarely ever play.

Harder to beat a team 3 times in one season.  Making an assumption about the Bills beating the Jets twice.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.