Josh Allen is the best quarterback, no... player in the NFL

Scott7975

1) Josh Allen > Patrick Mahomes

This has become a real thing over Allen's past dozen football games, including the playoffs. The pendulum swung in this direction in the middle of last December, with No. 17 carrying the Bills on his back.

Allen since Week 15 of last season: 10-2 QB record, 34:8 TD-to-INT ratio, 105.7 passer rating; 6.3 yards per carry, 51.9 rushing yards per game, four rushing touchdowns.

Don't get me wrong: I love Mahomes. Good luck finding a quarterback with a more impressive résumé through his first four years as an NFL starter. Shoot, the league could've renamed the AFC Championship Game as The Patrick Mahomes Invitational. Good thing they didn't, though -- because there's a new conference sheriff in town.

Allen began this season as the MVP favorite. He's only furthered the cause since. His latest feat of MVP strength: Storming Arrowhead Stadium, outdueling Mahomes and giving the Bills (5-1) a major leg up in the race for the coveted No. 1 seed and home-field advantage throughout the playoffs. Buffalo trailed 20-17 in hostile territory with just under six minutes remaining on Sunday. Then Allen led the Bills on a 12-play, 76-yard scoring drive, spectacularly hurdling a would-be tackler for a first down before delivering a precision laser to Dawson Knox for the go-ahead touchdown. Mahomes' response? A game-sealing pickon the second snap of Kansas City's ensuing possession, dropping the Chiefs to 4-2.

Josh Allen is the best quarterback in the NFL. The numbers support it. The eye test confirms it. And we'll all be able to enjoy the show into February, with Allen leading to the Bills to their first Super Bowl in nearly three decades.

https://www.nfl.com/news/early-truths-of-the-2022-nfl-season-josh-allen-is-better-than-patrick-mahomes-to

Edited by Scott7975
  • Like (+1) 7
  • Agree 11
  • Awesome! (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

53 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

1) Josh Allen > Patrick Mahomes

This has become a real thing over Allen's past dozen football games, including the playoffs. The pendulum swung in this direction in the middle of last December, with No. 17 carrying the Bills on his back.

Allen since Week 15 of last season: 10-2 QB record, 34:8 TD-to-INT ratio, 105.7 passer rating; 6.3 yards per carry, 51.9 rushing yards per game, four rushing touchdowns.

Don't get me wrong: I love Mahomes. Good luck finding a quarterback with a more impressive résumé through his first four years as an NFL starter. Shoot, the league could've renamed the AFC Championship Game as The Patrick Mahomes Invitational. Good thing they didn't, though -- because there's a new conference sheriff in town.

Allen began this season as the MVP favorite. He's only furthered the cause since. His latest feat of MVP strength: Storming Arrowhead Stadium, outdueling Mahomes and giving the Bills (5-1) a major leg up in the race for the coveted No. 1 seed and home-field advantage throughout the playoffs. Buffalo trailed 20-17 in hostile territory with just under six minutes remaining on Sunday. Then Allen led the Bills on a 12-play, 76-yard scoring drive, spectacularly hurdling a would-be tackler for a first down before delivering a precision laser to Dawson Knox for the go-ahead touchdown. Mahomes' response? A game-sealing pickon the second snap of Kansas City's ensuing possession, dropping the Chiefs to 4-2.

Josh Allen is the best quarterback in the NFL. The numbers support it. The eye test confirms it. And we'll all be able to enjoy the show into February, with Allen leading to the Bills to their first Super Bowl in nearly three decades.

https://www.nfl.com/news/early-truths-of-the-2022-nfl-season-josh-allen-is-better-than-patrick-mahomes-to

First:  I agree.  I think Allen is the best QB in football.  Him and Mahomes though are interchangeable IMHO on who is better.  A case can be made for either.  I go with Allen because he can do things not even Mahomes can do with his legs, but there is nothing Mahomes can do that Allen can't.  

Second:  I need to stay consistent...and that is pointing out this article is cherry picking stats.  The article chose an odd slate of games...they conveniently only start counting his stats after the Bills got out of a slump last year to make Allens stats look better.  

Again, I agree with the conclusion that Allen is the top guy, but I find the articles cherry picking of information as just an inconsistent way to prove any conclusion.  

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Agree 2

6 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

First:  I agree.  I think Allen is the best QB in football.  Him and Mahomes though are interchangeable IMHO on who is better.  A case can be made for either.  I go with Allen because he can do things not even Mahomes can do with his legs, but there is nothing Mahomes can do that Allen can't.  

Second:  I need to stay consistent...and that is pointing out cherry picking stats.  You chose an odd slate of games...you conveniently only start counting his stats after the Bills got out of a slump last year to make Allens stats look better.  

Plus, you don't show Mahomes stats over the same time period either.  Again, I agree with the conclusion that Allen is the top guy, but I find the careful curation of picking games that leave out the games he and the offense struggled last year as an inaccurate way to prove a conclusion.  

Its an article.  I didnt write it bro 😃

I didn't believe this until approximately yesterday.

I was trending in that direction because Allen does so much more heavy lifting for his offense than Mahomes does for his. So many more of Allen's passing yards are air yards. He basically IS the Bills offense, whereas Mahomes has the brilliant Andy Reid designing and calling plays for him.

Still, up until yesterday, I would have been hard pressed to say that Allen is the BETTER quarterback. Mahomes' equal? Sure. But his superior? Hmmm.

After watching yesterday's game very carefully, it seems clear to me: Right now, right this minute -- forget the past, forget the accolades from previous seasons -- right now, Josh Allen is the better quarterback. And that means that right now, Josh Allen is the best quarterback in the league.

At 26, I don't think he's done growing and improving yet, either. Should be a fun decade+ for Bills fans.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

I've decided it's pointless to try and rank Allen and Mahomes. They're the 2 best QBs in the league and then everyone else is somewhere beneath them. In a lot of areas they're very similar - accuracy to all levels of the field, pre- and post-snap recognition, pocket presence, decision making. And then they each have their own unique skill that takes them to another level of QBing the likes of which we've never seen. For Mahomes it's the ridiculous arm angles and trick shot throws. For Allen it's the ability to run, juke, truck, and/or hurdle defenders. I think it will be a long time before any other QB enters the league that can consistently match up against them.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

I think Allen has been better since 2020 and Mahomes (while still obviously a top 3 QB) lives off the rep of the 50 TD season. Allen was better than Mahomes in 2020 (would have won MVP if Rodgers didn't have his great year). They were about equal last year and Allen is better this year.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

I love watching Bills offense. 

First two downs they scheme up “regular “ football plays. 

But when/if they get to third, it seems like the play is—“Diggs, you Davis or Knox get open.  But if you don’t, no worries. I’ll just run for it anyway.”

I’ve been watching college and nfl football for 50 yrs. I can’t ever remember a better 3rd down QB than Josh has been in the last 10 games. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Second:  I need to stay consistent...and that is pointing out cherry picking stats.  You chose an odd slate of games...you conveniently only start counting his stats after the Bills got out of a slump last year to make Allens stats look better.  

Plus, you don't show Mahomes stats over the same time period either.  Again, I agree with the conclusion that Allen is the top guy, but I find the careful curation of picking games that leave out the games he and the offense struggled last year as an inaccurate way to prove a conclusion.  

This isn't his the OP's article.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

Its an article.  I didnt write it bro 😃

Ah my bad, sorry didn’t see that it was.  Well let me correctly say then the article is cherry picking.  I was just stating it’s an inconsistent way to get to a conclusion even though I happen to agree with this specific conclusion that Allen is the best.  

I amended my original reply to be directed at the article 

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 2

35 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I go with Allen because he can do things not even Mahomes can do with his legs, but there is nothing Mahomes can do that Allen can't.  

I would argue that Mahomes' improv skills are the best of the best, even better than Allen's, which are Great. And also that Mahomes has better touch and placement on his short passes, shovels, and flips, where Josh sometimes just throws too hard or misses the mark. 

Not to say Mahomes is better than Allen on balance, but I still think that there are a couple things that Mahomes does better than anyone, including Josh. 

• Agree 1

Just now, skibum said:

I would argue that Mahomes' improv skills are the best of the best, even better than Allen's, which are Great. And also that Mahomes has better touch and placement on his short passes, shovels, and flips, where Josh sometimes just throws too hard or misses the mark. 

Not to say Mahomes is better than Allen on balance, but I still think that there are a couple things that Mahomes does better than anyone, including Josh. 

I mean nobody is better than everybody at every facet of the game

of course pat does some things better than josh but josh does some things better than pat 

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, skibum said:

And this is why a case can be made for either.  

But IMHO, Allen is still capable of doing all of those things.  One might say Mahomes maybe does it more consistently, but Allen can also make all those throws too now and doing it more frequently/. But there are still things Allen can do with his running that Mahomes simply can’t physically do.  

• Agree 1

Personally it's still hard for me to make this argument until JA17 wins a SB, or even a playoff game against the Chiefs for that matter.

But yesterday was another epic game and one QB led his team down the field late in the game, on the road in a hostile environment for the win. The game winning TD throw to Knox was truly ridiculous as well.

The other QB threw a game clinching INT at home with a shot to come back and win the game which has not been the norm for him during his career so far and pretty sure most bills fans would be lying if they didn't hold their breath expecting the Chiefs to come back and win.

Right now this is JA17 world and the rest of the NFL is living in it.

• Like (+1) 3

I was thinking today about how normal that last drive seemed but how spectacularly abnormal it really was.  First off, you have the pressure that if you don't score a TD the game is more or less over.  Give the ball back on downs or a turnover, you either go down an insurmountable two scores or you never see the ball again.  Drive and kick a field goal, Mahomes likely marches down and Butker ends it.  So the stakes are HIGH.

Well in that last drive we saw Josh...

1) Power forward for a QB sneak on 4th and 1

2) Deliver a 20 yard seed to Diggs in traffic

3) Rush for 16 yards, cleanly hurdling a defender for an extra 10.

4) Hit a well covered Knox on the sideline for a TD on a pass that also fit right over the fingertips of a safety.

Like, go back and watch highlights of former Bills QBs like Trent and Tyrod (if you can stomach it).  They'd go entire games without putting together anything close to that, much less on a do or die drive.  And right now for Josh it's just natural.  I would have been surprised if we didn't score.

• Like (+1) 4

13 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Ah my bad, sorry didn’t see that it was.  Well let me correctly say then the article is cherry picking.  I was just stating it’s an inconsistent way to get to a conclusion even though I happen to agree with this specific conclusion that Allen is the best.  

I amended my original reply to be directed at the article 

Maybe I will get ambitious later today or tomorrow and actually look up Mahomes stats over the same time period though.  Im actually curious.  Just dont know if I have time today.

What I will say from my own opinion... I do think Josh is slightly better but it doesnt matter.  These are the two best QBs in the league right now and its so close that its not worth measuring who is better.  If one of these teams was in the NFC then I think we would see Chiefs/Bills superbowl like 8 out of 10 years or something.

Edited by Scott7975
  • Agree 1

Nick Wright emphatically states that this is an overreaction..  🙂 

Anyone watching First Things First since they lost Jenna?  It's a clown show now.  They have good guests, but they let Nick shout down everyone.  

8 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

Personally it's still hard for me to make this argument until JA17 wins a SB, or even a playoff game against the Chiefs for that matter.

But yesterday was another epic game and one QB led his team down the field late in the game, on the road in a hostile environment for the win. The game winning TD throw to Knox was truly ridiculous as well.

The other QB threw a game clinching INT at home with a shot to come back and win the game which has not been the norm for him during his career so far and pretty sure most bills fans would be lying if they didn't hold their breath expecting the Chiefs to come back and win.

Right now this is JA17 world and the rest of the NFL is living in it.

Reasonable but I would say the best QB doesnt always win.  If they did then Aaron Rodgers and Tom Brady would have faced off in the superbowl many times.  There are "best QBs in the league" that have never won a superbowl.  Probably some that never even gotten there.  Winning a SB takes a team and some luck.  The best team isnt likely much better if at all then the second best team.  Just like the Bills and Chiefs.  They are so close they are just the best period.  If they played the same game x amount of times it would likely even out at some point around 50/50.

3 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

Reasonable but I would say the best QB doesnt always win.  If they did then Aaron Rodgers and Tom Brady would have faced off in the superbowl many times.  There are "best QBs in the league" that have never won a superbowl.  Probably some that never even gotten there.  Winning a SB takes a team and some luck.  The best team isnt likely much better if at all then the second best team.  Just like the Bills and Chiefs.  They are so close they are just the best period.  If they played the same game x amount of times it would likely even out at some point around 50/50.

Scott you are right which is why I'm still a bit skeptical about having to face them again in the playoffs, even in Buffalo.

Joe Burrow and the Bengals are the only team to ever beat Andy Reid and Mahomes twice in a row and both of those games also went down the wire and could have went the other way last year.

So there is still a very tall mountain yet to climb for this team should they meet again in January.

Josh Allen, Best QB in the NFL

So Strong, So Smart, Accurate as hell

Running, passing or flying through the air

Plays so fine, simply beyond compare

Leadership, charisma, Josh has it all

Sure to be enshrined in football's famous hall

PS Go Bills

• Like (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

Scott you are right which is why I'm still a bit skeptical about having to face them again in the playoffs, even in Buffalo.

Joe Burrow and the Bengals are the only team to ever beat Andy Reid and Mahomes twice in a row and both of those games also went down the wire and could have went the other way last year.

So there is still a very tall mountain yet to climb for this team should they meet again in January.

Every year is a new year.  Allen and the Bills are the only team to beat Mahomes in Arrowhead twice.  These type of stats doesnt really mean much.  This is why they still play the games.  Anything can happen.

11 minutes ago, Freddie's Dead said:

FTFY, now you fix the title.

Done.  Sort of.  Couldnt figure out how to do strikethrough in the title.

• Scott7975 changed the title to Josh Allen is the best quarterback, no... player in the NFL
2 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

Every year is a new year.  Allen and the Bills are the only team to beat Mahomes in Arrowhead twice.  These type of stats doesnt really mean much.  This is why they still play the games.  Anything can happen.

True and we are 13 stupid seconds away from winning 3 straight games in Arrowhead which is absurd when you think about it.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.