James Cook TD Run

wppete

Ive never seen an odder start to a career than Cookes. His first play ever is a fumble, then a few drops. One nice run in the Tenn game?. But Even today it looked like he was just going to be stuffed in each play. It was nice to see him hit the hole and adjust to just blow by the linebacker on the TD This guy has such great potential. If he can just get past the rookie nerves.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I mean any of our RBs could have scored on that TD…but was still nice to see and hopefully gets the kid some confidence because he’s been playing slow out there at times.  But I think that’s just been a combo of too few snaps and a couple snafus with the fumble and key dropped easy pass.  

But I expect the kid is going to start seeing more snaps and Moss is gonna be phased out.  He’s gonna be a nice weapon come playoff time.  

That's my hope. He comes along nicely and is a dangerous weapon come playoff time. 

• Agree 1

48 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Well that is a fair point about Moss, and I agree with Moss and his bad instincts and reads, however even Moss could have found that hole, but maybe doesn't cut back because he lacks vision.  But if anyone googles Devin Singletary highlights they will find a lot of runs where Devin makes this same play or more.  

I totally agree Devin is an unsung hero.  One of the dumbest myths around here is that Devin is slow.  People foolishly look at combine 40 times to define speed, and then hang their hat on that time.  40 times are one small measurement, it doesn't come close to painting the whole picture.  Devin has excellent acceleration and change of direction speed.  That makes him play a lot faster than some stupid 40 time that literally only matters on the 2 or 3 runs a season a RB breaks some 80 yarder.  His ability to cut and accelerate has him out running the defense frequently and getting more yards than he should on many plays.  He hits the hole hard and fast too, something Moss doesn't do and something Cook has not yet begun to do, but that is likely do to lack of opportunities to get his confidence and rhythm going.  

But doesn't matter how many big runs Devin puts up, how many times he blows by a defender for a first down or big gain...or his excellent career YPC average...the same people who don't understand how speed is really measured on a football field are going to say he is too slow.  Just like all the ridiculous comments people have made saying Devin couldn't rip that run off that Cook did when he has not only done it many times, he has done it for longer runs.  

Except Devin has done it many times and even for much longer runs.  So yeah, those pesky facts again...

You're taking about the guy that got caught from behind by a 300lb DT today... right? 🤣

• Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Just now, HappyDays said:

Singletary would have had a 1st but couldn't speed past the safety like that to get in the endzone. Moss would have tripped on his own feet after a 5 yard gain.

Watch the video I posted, he’s blown by people like that many times 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Watch the video I posted, he’s blown by people like that many times 

Not in that way he hasn't. He isn't fast enough to get that angle on the safety. I guarantee Fitzpatrick would have stopped Singletary after he made it past the 1st down marker. We have zero other rushing TDs scored by RBs this year... Lack of speed is a big reason why.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Not in that way he hasn't. He isn't fast enough to get that angle on the safety. I guarantee Fitzpatrick would have stopped Singletary after he made it past the 1st down marker. We have zero other rushing TDs scored by RBs this year... Lack of speed is a big reason why.

No disrespect bud, you’re a great poster, but I know you didn’t watch the video.  Because if you had then you would know the first play of the reel he literally does this as well several more times in this one video of some highlights from just last year.  

I get there is this slow opinion people have of him, but it’s just not factually correct to say he couldn’t do that run because he has done it several times.  

Devin Highlights 

You can’t watch this and then honestly still say he couldn’t make this run.  And there are many more examples besides what’s on this reel.  

Bonus:  This video also shows how he runs with more power than Moss and is a better short yardage back than Moss too.  

• Like (+1) 4

4 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I mean any of our RBs could have scored on that TD…but was still nice to see and hopefully gets the kid some confidence because he’s been playing slow out there at times.  But I think that’s just been a combo of too few snaps and a couple snafus with the fumble and key dropped easy pass.  

But I expect the kid is going to start seeing more snaps and Moss is gonna be phased out.  He’s gonna be a nice weapon come playoff time.  

Maybe not Moss, but as soon as I saw I thought Singletary might have made the same run.   But, first it was good to see Cook make a play, and second, I think he made it more easily than Singletary.  

I'm beginning to think that Cook's special skill is running in the open field.   He's not lightning quick with his change of direction, but he's smooth and flows to the open space nicely.   It's why his real value probably is catching passes, because that's where he can find that open field.  Problem is, he has to be good enough carrying the ball on traditional running plays.  He's not going to be a true wideout, and if all he does when he comes into the backfield is run patterns, the absence of the run threat makes him one dimensional.

• Like (+1) 3

2 hours ago, HappyDays said:

James Cook has more 20+ yard rushes this season than Devin Singletary. 

Which is a wild but true stat lol

2 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

No disrespect bud, you’re a great poster, but I know you didn’t watch the video.  Because if you had then you would know the first play of the reel he literally does this as well several more times in this one video of some highlights from just last year.  

I get there is this slow opinion people have of him, but it’s just not factually correct to say he couldn’t do that run because he has done it several times.  

Devin Highlights 

You can’t watch this and then honestly still say he couldn’t make this run.  And there are many more examples besides what’s on this reel.  

Bonus:  This video also shows how he runs with more power than Moss and is a better short yardage back than Moss too.  

Why does Brandon Beane keep drafting running backs to replace him?

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, BrainwashedBillsFan said:

“It was a huge hole blah blah” … please stfu…. This is what a real RB looks like 

I’ll say this, there’s been openings like this with both Moss and Motor running the ball and they end up face planted right into their blockers butts. 

3 hours ago, ArtVandalay said:

You're taking about the guy that got caught from behind by a 300lb DT today... right? 🤣

I stopped reading after the first few lines of that too. Who in their right mind could have such a high belief in such a proven worthless player is beyond me. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Moss would've got stuck in the backfield. 

Singletary I think would've cut through the hole on the left for a nice gain, where the run was supposed to go, and been ridden out of bounds.

Instead, Cook cuts to the right, which makes the upfield LB have to spin around and it gives Cook that split second advantage. Then all he needed to beat was the safety.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, FireChans said:

James Cook has more 20+ yard rushes this season than Devin Singletary. 

Which is a wild but true stat lol

Why does Brandon Beane keep drafting running backs to replace him?

Cook was drafted to compliment him.  

1 hour ago, BillsShredder83 said:

Singletary might hsve made that safety miss, but he would've had to slow down enough to get caught from behind.... cook just smashed the throttle and blazed (pun) through a small window there

You obviously did not watch the video either

3 hours ago, BadboyBills said:

He's got that 2nd gear. Nice to see. My impression is that he's not trusting his eyes and trusting his instinct to cut outside. Kid needs freedom to roam, but needs to earn it, it's how we do.

He does have the second gear, that is true. I still don't love what I am seeing in terms of initial burst. I wonder if that is not trusting what he is seeing as much as anything.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Why was Zack Miss lol drafted?

You mean 1 year after Devin was a rookie and split time with Gore?   Because he was still unproven.  And showing how ridiculous your comment is, Moss isn't any faster than Devin...but you can't even keep the narrative straight lol.

Literally, this isn't that complicated dude.  You are just desperately trying to prove a narrative that you want to sell.

Edited by Alphadawg7

4 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

You mean 1 year after Devin was a rookie and split time with Gore?   Because he was still unproven.  And showing how ridiculous your comment is, Moss isn't any faster than Devin...but you can't even keep the narrative straight lol.

Literally, this isn't that complicated dude.  You are just desperately trying to prove a narrative that you want to sell.

Actually he’s right and your wrong on this one. For the last 2 years the Bills have tried to replace Singletary. His contract is up and the end of the year and I’m pretty sure you won’t be able to say they drafted Cook to “complement” him as he’ll be somewhere else but not here. 

Bills fans sitting here arguing about what running back on the roster could do what James Cook did on that run.

But regardless if your favorite back is Devin Singletary or Zack Moss, the facts are that neither run for 24-yard Touchdowns that often.

So start with getting ineffective Zack Moss off the field and give his reps to James Cook.

No Bills RB is getting 15-20 rushing attempts anyways.

7 minutes ago, mrags said:

Actually he’s right and your wrong on this one. For the last 2 years the Bills have tried to replace Singletary. His contract is up and the end of the year and I’m pretty sure you won’t be able to say they drafted Cook to “complement” him as he’ll be somewhere else but not here. 

Im not saying he will be resigned, that is a completely different conversation (this one is supposed to be about whether Devin could make that same TD run or not).  But Cook was brought in to be a complimentary RB, not a feature RB.  Whether it is to Devin or to someone else, he wasn't drafted with the intent on being a featured 3 down RB.  Just like how they went after McKissick first and then signed Duke when that fell apart.  Cook may at some point prove he can be a feature runner, but that will be a bonus, not the point of why he was drafted.  I mean even Beane talked about what they were looking for with Cook, a guy who can be that receiving weapon out of the backfield after McKissick decided to reup with Washington instead.  

But more importantly, none of that has anything to do with the conversation of the false narrative that Devin was too slow to make that same TD run, which is what he was replying about in the first place. 

14 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

As an officer in then Sadness Brigade, his job is to spread as much sadness and doubt throughout TBD.  To drop bait after bait after bait until he gets a bite. When he finally gets a a poster hooked, his objective is to keep said poster on the hook as long as possible to inflict as much sadness and doubt on the poor soul, with hope of relegating them to a lifetime of clopidigrel and losartan.  

2 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Im not saying he will be resigned, that is a completely different conversation (this one is supposed to be about whether Devin could make that same TD run or not).  But Cook was brought in to be a complimentary RB, not a feature RB.  Whether it is to Devin or to someone else, he wasn't drafted with the intent on being a featured 3 down RB.  Just like how they went after McKissick first and then signed Duke when that fell apart.  Cook may at some point prove he can be a feature runner, but that will be a bonus, not the point of why he was drafted.  I mean even Beane talked about what they were looking for with Cook, a guy who can be that receiving weapon out of the backfield after McKissick decided to reup with Washington instead.  

But more importantly, none of that has anything to do with the conversation of the false narrative that Devin was too slow to make that same TD run, which is what he was replying about in the first place. 

I agree with this. 

At Georgia, Cook was a complimentary back.

His Scouting Report coming into the NFL was a change of pace back, unlikely to see his “carry count get very high” due to his thinner lower half.

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/james-cook/3200434f-4f15-1970-d2e5-e575c819187c

• Like (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

12 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Agree....he didn't do some of the unnecessary side stepping we see from Singletary & Moss. Just glad he got some touches and confidence. 

And instead of following the blockers he ran to the hole they created by design. Moss in particular follows the blockers too often instead of to where the play was designed to be run. 

3 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Well. I will concede. I don’t think Singletary is too slow to make that play yesterday. But I do question his ability to actually find the right hole or make the right cut to actually have a chance to outrun the defenders in the play. 

fyi I didn’t watch your video. I’ve seen every Singletary play he’s ever made. I have no doubts he has the physical abilities to be a good RB. I just question his instincts and football intelligence when it comes to running the football. Every player has some good plays. They are in the nfl after all. I feel like his good plays are few and far between (1 a game at most) and his average plays need to be more effective. 

1 hour ago, Since1981 said:

31 to 3 in Q4.
I’m not getting overly excited about this run, neither should you. 

Okay, but this point doesn't make a lot of sense. 

Callers on the pregame show were talking about hopefully the Bills are in a blowout situation, so then they can give James Cook the football and "get his confidence going". 

Why is it necessary to wait until the 4th Quarter to mix in James Cook? 

If the Bills started the game with a James Cook run, what would happen. First play, hand off to James Cook for 3-yards. 

We are overthinking this a lot. He can carry the ball in the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th quarters. He's not some 4th Quarter blowout closer only. 

Why was Zack Miss lol drafted?

McDermott

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.