Russell Wilson’s new contract launches him to 2nd most QB guaranteed $

YoloinOhio

3 minutes ago, TBBills Fan said:

Denver is soooo  *****.  All that cap space and all those draft picks gone.   NOT a great time to  be a Broncos fan  thats  for sure.  Them and Cleveland stepped in so much ***** we can smell it here in FL

Denver's only hope is to clean house on the coaching staff (I guess they want to keep the DC tho), and bring in a new HC who has a ton of experience. Only person I can think of is Sean Payton.

The Broncos are stuck with Wilson and that contract for at least 4-6 years. Hackett will NEVER get him right.

3 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Denver's only hope is to clean house on the coaching staff (I guess they want to keep the DC tho), and bring in a new HC who has a ton of experience. Only person I can think of is Sean Payton.

The Broncos are stuck with Wilson and that contract for at least 4-6 years. Hackett will NEVER get him right.

I think they are beyond saving, No big name will want to touch that franchise

5 minutes ago, TBBills Fan said:

I think they are beyond saving, No big name will want to touch that franchise

I dont disagree, but...

They have the small benefit of "new owneership". New owner with deep pockets can come in, say evrything is in the past and they are changing the culture, and write a big check to Payton (or the like).

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

16 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Wilson is washed.  No one is getting him right.  Denver screwed themselves giving him that contract without ever playing a snap for them and they didnt even have to give him that contract.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

16 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I though Payton was going to Miami next year with tom brady.

1 minute ago, Scott7975 said:

Wilson is washed.  No one is getting him right.  Denver screwed themselves giving him that contract without ever playing a snap for them and they didnt even have to give him that contract.

I dont disagree, but it is their only hope. They are stuck with that contract so they have to try something.

1 minute ago, frostbitmic said:

I though Payton was going to Miami next year with tom brady.

Ha! I think that deal is donzo. (Thank you, Bill Belichick!)

2 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I dont disagree, but...

They have the small benefit of "new owneership". New owner with deep pockets can come in, say evrything is in the past and they are changing the culture, and write a big check to Payton (or the like).

gonna need to be a  really big check lol

2 hours ago, Scott7975 said:

That was  such n odd move and timing.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Scott7975 said:

Like Lemur offense was tailored for him and Wilson did not understand that.

For all the talk on what his wife wanted, a city better for her career, he went to Denver which is probably worse than Seattle.

And Gino of all players is doing well in his place.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I can’t believe he is this bad. I also think Hackett, nice guy, is an awful head coach. They are trying to make him a pocket passer and that makes him so less dangerous. And his weirdness is off the charts.

And everyone in the media seems so surprised that his awful, which I don't get.  Don't they do ANY homework?  The guy was awful as an OC in Buffalo.  He was so awful in Jacksonville that they cut him loose mid-season.  His offense was good in Green Bay with Aaron Rodgers AND he wasn't the play caller.  What would lead people to believe that this guy would be a good coach.  I get why Denver hired him.  He was Rodgers bait, but it should not be a surprise that he sucks.

• Agree 1

Just now, Royale with Cheese said:

I think Carroll saw his demise and why he didn’t want to give him more money.  It was more strategic than luck imo.  

I'm starting to think that way too.

But it would be strange in the modern NFL for a QB to lose it that quickly (and at "just" 33). We saw Cam Newton drop off a cliff, but he was a different kind of run-heavy QB. Peyton Manning somehow went from All World to one of the worst QBs in football in the summer between his age 38 and 39 seasons, but he had previously had serious neck surgery and maybe there was an expiration date on that. The more typical decline today is what we see in Colts "one last run" QBs: Rivers and now Ryan. Guys who maybe can't carry a team the way they used to but who still can have big games many times over the course of a season. Maybe Joe Flacco too, but he was hardly in the same league as the other guys even at his peak. So I'm gonna say Wilson will rebound, but with nothing like the confidence I had before the season started.

16 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I think Carroll saw his demise and why he didn’t want to give him more money.  It was more strategic than luck imo.  

A lot of times when a team unexpectedly trades or waives a player, people question why without realizing that the coaches see the guy all week at practice when the rest of the league and fans only see the guy on Sundays.  

I think it's easier for the team a declining player or a bust draft choice is on to properly evaluate him than any other team & all fans.  Carroll saw him just about every day last year in a 7-10 season & very well could have concluded Russ' best days were behind him.  All Denver had was gameday films and maybe a pro scout or 2 who saw him play live in a game or 2.  

Another possibility was Pete saw how swelled his head had become & no longer wanted to deal with the guy.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

16 hours ago, The Frankish Reich said:

I'm starting to think that way too.

But it would be strange in the modern NFL for a QB to lose it that quickly (and at "just" 33). We saw Cam Newton drop off a cliff, but he was a different kind of run-heavy QB. Peyton Manning somehow went from All World to one of the worst QBs in football in the summer between his age 38 and 39 seasons, but he had previously had serious neck surgery and maybe there was an expiration date on that. The more typical decline today is what we see in Colts "one last run" QBs: Rivers and now Ryan. Guys who maybe can't carry a team the way they used to but who still can have big games many times over the course of a season. Maybe Joe Flacco too, but he was hardly in the same league as the other guys even at his peak. So I'm gonna say Wilson will rebound, but with nothing like the confidence I had before the season started.

I don’t think Wilson is going to rebound I think he’s done. I mean we all saw how Bledsoe hit the wall/crashed and burned and I think the same thing is happening with Russell. Sean Payton in a interview with Cowherd said he wouldn’t take the denver job if Russell is still the starting QB by the end of this season. Denver is going to be a very unattractive job for any veteran HC or any OC/DC trying to become a HC. And Russell is a big reason for that

Edited by BuffaloBills1998

1 hour ago, Albany,n.y. said:

A lot of times when a team unexpectedly trades or waives a player, people question why without realizing that the coaches see the guy all week at practice when the rest of the league and fans only see the guy on Sundays.  

I think it's easier for the team a declining player or a bust draft choice is on to properly evaluate him than any other team & all fans.  Carroll saw him just about every day last year in a 7-10 season & very well could have concluded Russ' best days were behind him.  All Denver had was gameday films and maybe a pro scout or 2 who saw him play live in a game or 2.  

Another possibility was Pete saw how swelled his head had become & no longer wanted to deal with the guy.  

I think it's all of that, plus the fact that Carroll knew how much of a system-QB Wilson really is. All the special, "custom" coaching and play-calling that went into making Russ successful since the time he was drafted. Just like we see them doing now with Geno Smith.

Carroll is looking like a genius right now.

On 9/1/2022 at 10:45 PM, Mr. WEO said:

In his first 7 years, Wilson had 75 wins--the most inn NFL history for that span.  During that same period, he had a TD % of 6, second highest in the SB era, 2nd highest passing rating in NFL history, 4th highest passer rating for the previous27 seasons.

After that, he followed up with 11 and 12 wins seasons.  In 2017, he accounted for 37 of the team's 38 TDs--yet somehow was not named league MVP. Pro Bowl 9 of 10 seasons.  Back o back SB, 1 ring.

He is elite by any definition.  Herbert has to lead his team to a playoff appearance before he can enter the conversation. 

This may be one of those arguments about what elite means.

For most, it's top three or four in the league. "Elite by any definition"? Nah. Not by that one.

I don't think Russell Wilson has been elite. Maybe brushing it for a year or three, but not elite. Terrific? Yeah, absolutely. Top eight or so his entire career? I think so, though if someone wanted to argue he was only top 11 or 12 his first year, I wouldn't fight too hard. But not elite.

Oh, and wins are not a QB stat, they are a team stat. That's what the difference between Wilson in Seattle and Wilson in Denver shows, and particularly the difference between Wilson's win percentage in Seattle from 2012 to 2020 vs. Wilson's win percentage in Seattle in 2021, 6-8, when he was playing almost as well as he'd always been.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Agree 1

On 9/1/2022 at 10:19 PM, KHAN said:

Russ will be 34 in November. Smaller guy, with a lot of wear and tear. He belongs on the list of top tier QB's for sure. But I see him falling off a cliff at an age much before someone like Rodgers.

Yeah, could be. I worry about that.

A league with a functional Wilson is a more exciting league. It would also mean a tougher AFC, though, so perhaps I should root against him, but I can't. I like the way he has played when at his best.

This is the third article I read that Wilson himself wants to play more like QBs like Tom Brady.  From the pocket.  I think Hackett is over his head as a head coach but perhaps its not Hackett that is forcing Wilson to be a pocket passer type.  Perhaps its Wilson.  This stems back to his Seattle days and supposedly part of the rift. 

https://www.si.com/nfl/2022/10/20/nfl-russell-wilson-broncos-struggles-mailbag

From Josh Turnbaugh (@Turns31): WTF is wrong with Russ?

Josh, this is my opinion, and one I expressed in the Oct. 10 MMQB column after talking to a bunch of people who worked with Russell Wilson in Seattle—I think there’s a way you have to deploy Wilson to get the most out of him as a player. And I know some people are convinced that Wilson doesn’t want to be deployed the way he was in Seattle, which was one source of friction between the player and the team over his last few years playing for the Seahawks.

When the Seahawks tried opening up the offense and having Wilson play the position from the pocket in the dropback game, it really didn’t work. Conversely, when the Seahawks used Wilson as a runner and ran hard play-action and moved the pocket, they got him playing fast and created open spaces for him to throw.

Which is to say for all the talk about Wilson proving that height doesn’t matter, it actually does, even with him at 5'11". There have been times over the years when he’s come back to the sideline and, asked by coaches why he missed a receiver over the middle, the answer was, “Because I couldn’t see him.” You can even see it now, where a lot of his biggest plays the past few weeks have come when he’s been on the move.

I understand why Wilson would want to play the game like Tom Brady or Peyton Manning. But if that’s not what you are as a player, for better and for worse, then it doesn’t help anyone to keep shoving a square peg into a round hole. So, again, in my opinion, the Broncos need to find a way to separate Wilson from his desire to play a certain way and do what’s best for Denver, which is to incorporate what Wilson did best when he grew into one of the NFL’s most valuable players in Seattle.

The hard thing about it, I’m sure, would be conceding the Seahawks were right. But I think the faster it happens, the better the Broncos will be. And I 100% believe Nathaniel Hackett has plenty in his bag to get it done.

• Like (+1) 1

He better feel pretty lucky that he got his agent to get him the guarantee in that contract because up to this point his play hasn't reflected his pay so if he does get benched or canned which i don't see that happening right away the contract definitely benefits him no matter the circumstances ...

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.