Matt Araiza accused of rape, served with a lawsuit.

bill8164

7 minutes ago, UKBillFan said:

I'm trying to think how the Bills could have handed the situation better without cutting him. Suspending him immediately from playing and placing him on the practice squad would have been a good start.

The Players Union would step in. Officially Araiza has not violated any league rules.

4 minutes ago, stevestojan said:

I’ll bite. I live 2,600 miles from Buffalo now. How’s the humidity?

Going to be cool tonight but "muggified" tomorrow.  I don't live in Buff either.   Surprised at what I consider cool temps today, yet the news casters thought it was warm and great weather to have a coffee outside on the patio...

Edited by phypon
Also, there is a starbucks insurrection going on...in other news Garry...

Just now, PromoTheRobot said:

The Players Union would step in. Officially Araiza has not violated any league rules.

At least he would have still be paid and part of a NFL squad. By the sounds of it, it's a straight cut now so he won't be.

People were mad when I said this was obvious, but just the already available facts were enough to cut him. 

Rushing to needlessly remind everyone "innocent until proven guilty!" & trying to defend him was pointless. 

These allegations didn't just magically fall into his lap, nor the other 2 people involved, & his lawyer's rationale was a dead giveaway he was in deep s***

Claiming she was after a "shakedown" & coming after his nonexistent, 6th round rookie punter money... LAST FALL... was a terrible defense, and falls flat on its face if you did more than 2 seconds of research. 

I'm sure some people will act like accusations of such heinous magnitude just happen all the time to 100% innocent people, but how many times has it happened to you, your family, or friends? 

For most, it's never. They rarely just fall from the sky & blindside innocent bystanders. 

Araiza can prove his innocence away from the Bills, & if the DA doesnt file charges (still wouldnt prove him "innocent" though), all his supporters can cry about his "raw deal," elsewhere when he shows up on another roster.

/rant

• Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, phypon said:

I've had this link running in the background forever now.  I've heard the weather so many times.  If you want to know the weather tomorrow, just ask.  

They keep replaying excerpts of McDermott's presser from last night, I might involuntarily add it to my memory banks next to the Gettysburg Address, 1 Corinthians 13:11 (KJV) and the lyrics of Metallica "No Leaf Clover"

• Haha (+1) 2

No matter what happened Araiza should be cut.
I could totally see the event he describes as having played out where the girl shows up drunk to Araizas house, hits it off with him, its his house so of course he hands her a drink. He fools around with her with her consent. Say there are 100 people at his house. As the night goes on he is totally unaware of what else is going on, as he is the host. The rape likely occurs but she is also blitzed. She remembers the incident but also remembers him because she wasn’t as blitzed when she met him. It’s quite possible she is mixing the 2 incidents together and that may be what he is claiming. Whether he was involved in the rape or not, he certainly knew it occurred.   The main thing that bugs me about all of this besides the obvious is could this be why he was the 3rd punter picked? Did other teams know this investigation was going on and we just didn’t do our full due diligence? Either way I would bet my house he won’t be on this team soon. 

Edited by Locomark

6 minutes ago, SCBills said:

This whole situation is so gross.  I have to stay off Twitter rn because the amount of high profile Bills fans cheering the fact we are likely cutting this punter over an allegation really feels disgusting.  

I understand what he’s accused of, and if true, he deserves all of this, but man… we are such a hateful society sometimes. 

I read that the team is looking to nullify his entire contract for cause. To do that, they'd have to prove that he lied to them about the situation. If he's innocent, he's not doing an a very good job showing it. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, UKBillFan said:

At least he would have still be paid and part of a NFL squad. By the sounds of it, it's a straight cut now so he won't be.

They can’t suspend him without a reason.

They can’t put him on the PS without going through waivers first. What difference is the PS to the active roster? He’s still part of the team.

For the record I think he’s gone. I hope he lied to McBean because that would justify cutting ties at this point. Unsubstantiated allegations shouldn’t cost a guy his reputation and career when it seems he’s being used as a pawn to raise the profile of the case.

1 minute ago, Canadian Bills Fan said:

Sorry I've tried looking but is there a PC coming? And what time?

1 minute ago, Donuts and Doritos said:

Is there a link? Please & thank you.

allegedly to be broadcast on WIBV, but there's a room full of reporters competing for the World Thumb Twiddling Championship at OBD right now.

This has all the hallmarks of the matchless planning involved in the famous Eric Wood "Non Retirement Press Conference"

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Donuts and Doritos said:

Is there a link? Please & thank you.

Ashley Petty. No clue who that is.  Sorry I am a twitter novice.  

Sources have now confirmed this to me. 

Matt Araiza’s locker has been cleared and nameplate taken off.

The legalities are the holdup.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, jlgarsh said:

I read that the team is looking to nullify his entire contract for cause. To do that, they'd have to prove that he lied to them about the situation. If he's innocent, he's not doing an a very good job showing it. 

Where did you read that? 

1 minute ago, jlgarsh said:

Where did you read this?

Just now, Matt_In_NH said:

Ashley Petty. No clue who that is.  Sorry I am a twitter novice.  

Sources have now confirmed this to me. 

Matt Araiza’s locker has been cleared and nameplate taken off.

The legalities are the holdup.

She’s just a twitter fan, part of BillsMafiaBabes or something like that. She has zero inside sources.

Not saying it’s not true but that’s like taking and random dude/dudette’s opinion on twitter and calling it fact

1 minute ago, RunTheBall said:

They can’t suspend him without a reason.

They can’t put him on the PS without going through waivers first. What difference is the PS to the active roster? He’s still part of the team.

For the record I think he’s gone. I hope he lied to McBean because that would justify cutting ties at this point. Unsubstantiated allegations shouldn’t cost a guy his reputation and career when it seems he’s being used as a pawn to raise the profile of the case.

Think the allegations are a pretty good reason to suspend him on pay.

So we risk putting him on waivers; it'd be interesting to see if any other team would be interested in picking up his package - they'd get a greater backlash than the Bills.

I agree, I hope he lied to the front office at some point to be cut, otherwise what has changed from Tuesday other than the court of public opinion?

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, BigDingus said:

People were mad when I said this was obvious, but just the already available facts were enough to cut him. 

Rushing to needlessly remind everyone "innocent until proven guilty!" & trying to defend him was pointless. 

These allegations didn't just magically fall into his lap, nor the other 2 people involved, & his lawyer's rationale was a dead giveaway he was in deep s***

Claiming she was after a "shakedown" & coming after his nonexistent, 6th round rookie punter money... LAST FALL... was a terrible defense, and falls flat on its face if you did more than 2 seconds of research. 

I'm sure some people will act like accusations of such heinous magnitude just happen all the time to 100% innocent people, but how many times has it happened to you, your family, or friends? 

For most, it's never. They rarely just fall from the sky & blindside innocent bystanders. 

Araiza can prove his innocence away from the Bills, & if the DA doesnt file charges (still wouldnt prove him "innocent" though), all his supporters can cry about his "raw deal," elsewhere when he shows up on another roster.

/rant

Fwiw, I doubt guys who are sexually active with lots of people get together and swap stories about the time they were accused of rape.  

I know of one, that was false, where authorities were involved… but I also know of one where the word was thrown around because of a one night stand that the woman believed would be more than that. 

As always, life experiences likely shapes a lot of how people view this issue.  That’s why I also understand why women want to “believe all women”, even though we know - factually - that’s a ridiculous statement.  More often that not, though, I’m sure they are not lying when they come forward to that extent. 

Just now, UKBillFan said:

Think the allegations are a pretty good reason to suspend him on pay.

So we risk putting him on waivers; it'd be interesting to see if any other team would be interested in picking up his package - they'd get a greater backlash than the Bills.

I agree, I hope he lied to the front office at some point to be cut, otherwise what has changed from Tuesday other than the court of public opinion?

you can’t suspend him per the CBA 

10 minutes ago, SCBills said:

This whole situation is so gross.  I have to stay off Twitter rn because the amount of high profile Bills fans cheering the fact we are likely cutting this punter over an allegation really feels disgusting.  

I understand what he’s accused of, and if true, he deserves all of this, but man… we are such a hateful society sometimes. 

People love to judge others, and current social media really ramps this part of human nature up to 11. 

I don’t like it either, but the fact neither Araiza nor his attorney outright deny his tryst with the accuser means it’s likely true. Having sex w a minor who was then gang raped by your teammates… I mean that’s some pretty deep s—— to be involved in. 

Only hope for Araiza is that criminal charges don’t materialize against him. Honestly if they do his playing career was done and his life over anyways.