Giants decline Jones 5th year option

Draconator

Not a surprise really. I think, a lot like things were done around here, Schoen and Daboll go after a QB in the 2nd draft. Next year will be WAYYYYY better to do so. And if somehow Jones turns out to be what they are looking for? They have the Franchise Tag option and then can negotiate. Can't blame them one bit for not gifting the guy $22M though. 

Edited by H2o
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

Just now, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Been reading about a number of 5th year option choices this week.  When is the deadline?  I thought I recalled in past years was around 3rd week of May??

Monday, May 2. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Allen2Diggs said:

Good news for the Bills. This just means another team is drafting a qb and pushing talent down the draft board.

Isn't this a weak class for QB's though? No guarantee they draft one this year. Tyrod Taylor can be a good "bridge" QB until they draft their next potential franchise QB.

Not surprised. Daboll and the new regime want to make the team their way.

Feel they have to draft a QB now as insurance if Jones completely implodes this season.  Just don’t believe there is a true franchise guy out there.  Will be interesting if they grab a guy and see what Daboll does with him.

19 minutes ago, Greg S said:

Isn't this a weak class for QB's though? No guarantee they draft one this year. Tyrod Taylor can be a good "bridge" QB until they draft their next potential franchise QB.

When the Bills needed a qb in 2013 they didn't care that it was an extraordinarily weak year for qb's. They reached and took a guy in the 1st round who probably should have been a 3rd rounder based on his talent. Hopefully the Giants panic and take a qb to develop during Jones' final year. Then teams like the Panthers, Falcons, Seahawks, Commanders, and Texans will over-draft qb's as well.

Edited by Allen2Diggs
  • Angry 1

5 minutes ago, Allen2Diggs said:

When the Bills needed a qb in 2013 they didn't care that it was an extraordinarily weak year for qb's. They reached and took a guy in the 1st round who probably should have been a 3rd rounder based on his talent. Hopefully the Giants panic and take a qb to develop during Jones' final year.

Schoen isn't going to panic

Why is anybody surprised?  Everyone is laughing at Cleveland for paying Mayfield right now and he was 2x the QB Jones ever has shown to be.  He was an obvious reach at the time and it didn’t work out.  If Dabs can get him going, they can still re-sign him to a prove it deal.

3 minutes ago, JoPoy88 said:

Daboll and Schoen already making smart moves

Exactly, everyone thinks this is a sign that they are drafting a qb. But think about it, shoen and daboll haven't worked with Jones at all and signed Tyrod, it doesn't mean they already dislike Jones, it means you can't sign a 5th year option on a qb with a rocky past then Tyrod beats him out at training camp and starts week 1, that makes you look dumb the beginning of your tenure.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2

I'm kind of curious about this decision.  I'm not a Danny Dimes fan, but 22 mil for the 5th year option isn't a lot for a QB  I know the Giants are in cap hell, so maybe it's moreso that.

Overall, I would just think they would want more than one year to evaluate him in the new system.  If he has even a moderately good season, might he not cost more than 22?

I have heard, and I believe it to be true that the Giants want to parlay one of their 2022 1st rd picks into 1st rd 2023 pick and change. The belief is to make a move for a QB in a draft that is expected to have a better QB class in 2023. That's a good plan if they can find a partner IMO

2 minutes ago, Virgil said:

Overall, I would just think they would want more than one year to evaluate him in the new system.  If he has even a moderately good season, might he not cost more than 22?

What are the tags going to cost the Giants ?  Looks like $27 mil for Transition, and just under $30 Mil for exclusive

Edited by ddaryl
  • Like (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, Greg S said:

Tyrod Taylor time. Wouldn't surprise me if he becomes the starter at some point.

If Jones doesn't show much early on and recapture the ability he seemed to show as a rookie it will probably just be a musical chairs situation at QB all year.

10 minutes ago, ddaryl said:

I have heard, and I believe it to be true that the Giants want to parlay one of their 2022 1st rd picks into 1st rd 2023 pick and change. The belief is to make a move for a QB in a draft that is expected to have a better QB class in 2023. That's a good plan if they can find a partner IMO

What are the tags going to cost the Giants ?  Looks like $27 mil for Transition, and just under $30 Mil for exclusive

Buffalo Bills may want to be that team

Just now, Bray Wyatt said:

Buffalo Bills may want to be that team

Cost would be great though. We'd swap our 1st this year and give up our 1st next year and would probably have to give them our 2nd this year plus a few more picks,

2023 picks are only worth about 50% of 2022 picks 

Just now, ddaryl said:

Cost would be great though. We'd swap our 1st this year and give up our 1st next year and would probably have to give them our 2nd this year plus a few more picks,

2023 picks are only worth about 50% of 2022 picks 

I am ok with that if we get 1 of sauce, hamilton, or jameson

Just now, mannc said:

Nope…rather stand pat.  This is not a good year to trade up.

I think with less people wanting to move up, we could potentially pay less esp if the giants want another first for next year. Cant see too many people offering that.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.