Bruce Arians steps down - moves to Front Office

Big Blitz

6 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

All I know is Bowles sucks as a HC.  Something tells me Brady will retire again after this season. 

LA, I normally agree with you, but not here.  I know his first go around was rough at the Jets, but that team is a dumpster fire.  He’s been a heck of a D Coordinator at AZ and the Bucs.  

I follow both those teams as to where I live and my middle son fell in love with the Cards.  He’ll inherit a very talented team, and Brady is still Brady.

Whats more likely is Arians health issues and advanced age for a HC takes a

toll on him.  I think the Brady angle was overblown. At least that’s what is being discussed down here.  Maybe Brady and him had a couple of tiffs, but that was more so in Year 1 in Tampa, not Year 2.  

Whats more likely is Brady and him made an agreement in the beginning of the year he would step into th front office.  From Arians perspective,

he gets to work more business hours and he comes across so genuine in his love for his wife.

Its not like Bowles won’t be consulting him weekly, but just more in the background.

IMO, Arians has been a good coach.  He has decades of experience both in the college and pro level.  He turned around Big Ben in Pitt, Indy with Luck and AZ, as well as Tampa.

Im happy we had him down here.

• Like (+1) 1

BB, I don’t see that happening.  Tampa owns his rights for another year.  Bowles doesn’t want to go through with the 2nd yr QB they drafted mid round, and Brady lobbied pretty hard for players to recruit.  He wouldn’t do a 180 and push for a trade.

Now I do think what is more likely is he takes the $10 mil. He gets this year, and goes to Miami next year for a swan song.  He hasn’t declined in his play not at least year.  43 TD’s!

8 hours ago, Arkady Renko said:

Wasn't he the last Jets coach to even get them to sniff the playoffs?

He benefited from one year of good Ryan Fitzpatrick.   He is 26-41 as a head coach, and thats with one year of 10-6.    He will probably win games because of Brady, but lets get it straight, he isnt a good head coach.  He stands on the sidelines looking stunned most of the time.

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

All I know is Bowles sucks as a HC.  Something tells me Brady will retire again after this season. 

He seems to. He must be a really nice guy because as the Jets coach he stood on the sideline with a weird smile for the entire game. 

Edited by Bill from NYC
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I don't think this means a trade to Miami by any means. I think it's more that Brady was tired of Bruce meddling in the offense so ownership made this move to appease him. I am surprised in a way that it was Bowles and not Leftwich who gets the nod though. 

Arians probably had another heart attack. It's why he retired from AZ the first time, and isn't it why he wore the contraption on his chest? He's a great HC. Yeah, he's had QBs, but he took the same roster Pagano couldn't do anything with to the playoffs.

11 hours ago, Southern_Bills said:

Something tells me TB will be a dumpster fire. 

Disagree. Their division is terrible. They have an easy path to the playoffs. Brady the Goat still is effective and makes everyone that much better. Still have solid pieces on defense and weapons galore on offense. No way is TB a dumpster fire. In fact, they have to be one of the top 3 nfc favorites to go to the Super Bowl. 

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, jlgarsh said:

Arians probably had another heart attack. It's why he retired from AZ the first time, and isn't it why he wore the contraption on his chest? He's a great HC. Yeah, he's had QBs, but he took the same roster Pagano couldn't do anything with to the playoffs.

Unless he's lying, I think he said it wasn't due to health?

People talking up Bowles, but to me, he doesn't have the temperament you want as a coach. He is too reserved, soft spoken, and he seems lacking as a motivational leader.

I actually think that is a great temperament for a coordinator, because he can stay calm, cool, and focus on getting the right plays called without getting too hyped up or emotional by what transpires in a game. But as a head coach, you want more, I think.

5 minutes ago, MJS said:

People talking up Bowles, but to me, he doesn't have the temperament you want as a coach. He is too reserved, soft spoken, and he seems lacking as a motivational leader.

I actually think that is a great temperament for a coordinator, because he can stay calm, cool, and focus on getting the right plays called without getting too hyped up or emotional by what transpires in a game. But as a head coach, you want more, I think.

For as much as I hate to say it, he has a QB who will be the firey leader who everyone already follows as the real head of the team anyways.

1 minute ago, DrDawkinstein said:

For as much as I hate to say it, he has a QB who will be the firey leader who everyone already follows as the real head of the team anyways.

There's some truth to that, I suppose.

1 hour ago, newcam2012 said:

Disagree. Their division is terrible. They have an easy path to the playoffs. Brady the Goat still is effective and makes everyone that much better. Still have solid pieces on defense and weapons galore on offense. No way is TB a dumpster fire. In fact, they have to be one of the top 3 nfc favorites to go to the Super Bowl. 

100%

It doesnt matter who is coaching in TB right now when the division is Brady vs Winston, Mariota, and Darnold.

• Like (+1) 1

The big difference is that aside from their pathetic division, Tampa has to play an actual NFL schedule this year. It's loaded with top teams. 

Chiefs

Cowboys

Packers

AFC North 

NFC West 

Last year it was cupcake after cupcake for them. AFC East and NFC East, plus a 2nd place schedule and their division opponents. And they still didn't get the #1 seed then. 

Look at their 2021 schedule. It was a joke:

https://www.buccaneers.com/news/bucs-2021-opponents-nfl-information-nfc-afc

vs 2022:

https://www.buccaneers.com/news/tampa-bay-2022-opponents-nfl-information-nfc-afc

Edited by TheFunPolice
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This move makes sense on a lot of fronts:

• Arians is old and has known health problems.  Coaching an NFL team is a difficult, stressful job that involves long hours.
  • Arians has had success with multiple franchises and has a ring.  He has lots of money in his pocket and has nothing left to prove.
  • Bowles is a top-notch DC with head coaching experience who is highly respected and is already part of the coaching staff

What doesn't make sense is the TIMING of the move, and how it might relate to Brady's retirement and unretirement, particularly given the known friction between Brady and Arians.  Obviously, we don't know what's happening behind the scenes, but has Arians' health changed that much in the 2-3 months since the season ended?  Why didn't he just make the move then?  It's certainly possible that Brady said he'd only come back if Arians wasn't the coach, the Bucs agreed to that, but waited until now to announce it so that didn't look like Brady forced the move.  Regardless of the truth, it makes for some off-season soap-opera drama in the NFL, which is always looking for a good headline.

Edited by msw2112

3 hours ago, TheFunPolice said:

The big difference is that aside from their pathetic division, Tampa has to play an actual NFL schedule this year. It's loaded with top teams. 

Chiefs

Cowboys

Packers

AFC North 

NFC West 

Last year it was cupcake after cupcake for them. AFC East and NFC East, plus a 2nd place schedule and their division opponents. And they still didn't get the #1 seed then. 

Look at their 2021 schedule. It was a joke:

https://www.buccaneers.com/news/bucs-2021-opponents-nfl-information-nfc-afc

vs 2022:

https://www.buccaneers.com/news/tampa-bay-2022-opponents-nfl-information-nfc-afc

Looks like I will be rooting for the Bucs several times this year.  Kind of glad Brady is back.  Wins against the Chiefs, Ravens and Bengals at home will be very helpful. 

22 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Well he turned a 4-12 Rex team into a 10-6 team with Fitz as his QB.   But yeah!  Imagine all the playoff wins if BB coached that Jets crew of Darnold, Chris Ivory, Quincy Enunwa and the dynamic duo of Cro-well and Po-well at RB!!   Good point!

Anyway, Arians wasn't looking so good before Brady dropped into his generous lap.  TB still has Brady, their SB OC and DC (essentially).  What was Arians doing on game day anyway other than focusing on keeping that defibrillator centered on his precordium?

7 hours ago, 716to540 said:

Tom Brady won the Super Bowl. Bruce was just along for the ride.

That’s just not true.  Arians was a good and beloved coach by hi s players.  He said when he took the job that he intended to coach a couple of years, assemble an experience group of coaches and move into doing what he did.

he announced his retirement right after the owners meeting.  At his age, coronary history, history of cancer, can you really blame him?

On 3/30/2022 at 11:27 PM, Big Blitz said:

Hot take.

Arians knows they're trading Brady and wants nothing to do with coaching Jimmy G or Tua.

Should be done by the draft.  

No.  Brady played this perfectly and forced Arians out after it didn't work out with the Fins (Flores lawsuit) or 49ers (Shanahan invested too much in Lance).  Never believed the retirement.  He gave Bucs ownership an ultimatum.  I'll come back if you fire Arians.  Make him an executive and a pioneer for black coaches.  Yada, yada, yada.  Brady puts butts in the stands.  Arians doesn't.  Brady and Belichick worked because they were both psychos who's whole world was football.  Arians just got in the way of him and Leftwich.  

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.