Bills sign Duke Johnson!!

BillsMafi$

2 minutes ago, IronMaidenBills said:

How is it that different? Sure there are some differences, but you still have to be competent in running the ball. Do you think the Titans are half the team without Henry? If Henry doesn’t get hurt, they likely would have gone to the super bowl. 

They aren't the same team without Henry because their entire offense is built around Henry...

2 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

Not a great argument as neither has an elite QB to help the balance. 

Imagine the Bills with Taylor or Henry.  

We are unstoppable. Nobody and I mean nobody is stopping us if we have Taylor on this team. Breece Hall is basically Jonathan Taylor. We are stupid if we don’t do it. 

• Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

I'm fine with a dynamic rb as long as its during his 5 yr rookie deal. Most of our money will be wrapped up on Josh, Von, Tre, Stef and eventually Ed & Dawson. We're not going to have the money. As MAJBobby said, it's much more of a 11 personnel passing league. It's ok to want a compelling RB but it doesn't have to be a #1 priority. 

• Agree 2

39 minutes ago, IronMaidenBills said:

I bet the Steelers don’t consider Najee Harris a wasted pick. Or many of the other top RBs to go high end over the years. If we had a Jonathan Taylor type of RB, we are unstoppable. It’s the missing key. 

Sure, just completely ignore the 1st round RB picks that DON’T work out.

How do you think the Giants feel about Barkley, how do the Panthers feel paying almost $20M a year for an oft injured CMC? I’m sure the Seahawks don’t regret spending a 1st on Rashaad Penny, and that the Chiefs are thrilled they took Clyde Edwards Helaire.

First round running backs don’t always work out, however selectively you might like to list them.

1 hour ago, Logic said:

You're just on a one-man crusade this year for Breece Hall.

Anything the Bills do that negatively impacts their chances of drafting him -- and let's be honest, with holes at CB, WR, and OL, all of which are more important positions than RB, it's not likely that they draft him ANYWAY -- causes you to jump into the thread and make dramatic pronouncements like "if they don't want to win a Super Bowl, it's their prerogative".

One of the more dedicated, relentless, humorous draft campaigns I've seen on this forum over the years.

Two men. Count me in!!

Edited by Solomon Grundy

4 minutes ago, IronMaidenBills said:

Why can’t we just get our Thurman Thomas? It optimized Kelly. Allen deserves his Thurman. Let’s get it, and roll into the Super Bowls. 

Thurman first two years - 505 carries for 2126 yds and 8 rushing TDs.  Also 78 catches for 877 Yds and 6 TDs.

Devin 1st 3 years - 495 carries for 2332 yds and 11 rushing TDs.  Also 107 catches for 697 yards and 3 TDs.  

Pretty even performances - within 24 total yds and identical TD totals!

The game has changed in 30 years with more Nickel D and less carries by RBs and more platooning at RB.  Singletary is an effective runner in the right scheme - he is not the receiver Thurman was - thus the Bills signing Duke Johnson.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Logic said:

How do you think the Giants feel about Barkley, how do the Panthers feel paying almost $20M a year for an oft injured CMC? I’m sure the Seahawks don’t regret spending a 1st on Rashaad Penny, and that the Chiefs are thrilled they took Clyde Edwards Helaire.

First round running backs don’t always work out, however selectively you might like to list them.

It’s a real murders row…

2010: CJ Spiller, Ryan Mathews, Jahvid Best

2011: Mark Ingram 

2012: Trent Richardson, Doug Martin, David Wilson

2015: Todd Gurley, Melvin Gordon

2016: Ezekiel Elliot

2017: Leonard Fournette, Christian McCaffrey

2018: Saquon Barkley, Rashaad Penny, Sony Michel

2019: Josh Jacobs

2020: Clyde Edwards-Helaire 

2021: Najee Harris, Travis Etienne

• Thank you (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

That the thing.  We won't know unless we try.  

Henry was in year 4 when he ran for 1500 and Taylor - year 2, 1800 yards rushing. 

Ultra productive RBs with speed are the best indicator of success in the NFL. Breece Hall runs a 4.39 and had two seasons of 1,400+ yards and is dangerous in the passing game. He had Brock Purdy. Imagine what he’d do with Josh Allen. I haven’t felt this confident about a RB since Jonathan Taylor. I honestly hope we find a way to draft him. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Logic said:

Neither do the CBs, WRs, OL, etc..

11 minutes ago, freddyjj said:

Thurman first two years - 505 carries for 2126 yds and 8 rushing TDs.  Also 78 catches for 877 Yds and 6 TDs.

Devin 1st 3 years - 495 carries for 2332 yds and 11 rushing TDs.  Also 107 catches for 697 yards and 3 TDs.  

Pretty even performances - within 24 total yds and identical TD totals!

The game has changed in 30 years with more Nickel D and less carries by RBs and more platooning at RB.  Singletary is an effective runner in the right scheme - he is not the receiver Thurman was - thus the Bills signing Duke Johnson.

Not as explosive as Thurman either 

24 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

Not a great argument as neither has an elite QB to help the balance. 

Imagine the Bills with Taylor or Henry.  

Who was the last elite rb to win a super bowl?  

21 minutes ago, IronMaidenBills said:

We are unstoppable. Nobody and I mean nobody is stopping us if we have Taylor on this team. Breece Hall is basically Jonathan Taylor. We are stupid if we don’t do it. 

You’ve gone off the deep end bruh.  Are you going to be rooting against the bills when we inevitably don’t draft him just so the Bills don’t win a SB and prove you wrong.  

And you’re saying Brandon Beane is stupid.  

44 minutes ago, freddyjj said:

So how many games did we win with Shady and Josh in 2018?  This team had OJ, Thurman, Marshawn, Fred Jackson and Shady and won nothing.  It is a QB league!

Bills need a 3rd down option now that Beasley is gone.  Duke is a very good 3rd down back.

Shady, OJ and FredEx never had a QB of Josh’s caliber. Thurman was an effect of bad coaching decisions 

3 minutes ago, NewEra said:

You’ve gone off the deep end bruh.  Are you going to be rooting against the bills when we inevitably don’t draft him just so the Bills don’t win a SB and prove you wrong.  

And you’re saying Brandon Beane is stupid.  

Of course not. Will always root for the Bills. It’s a curse. Been cheering during the failure this long, I can manage another year or more. 

3 minutes ago, IronMaidenBills said:

Of course not. Will always root for the Bills. It’s a curse. Been cheering during the failure this long, I can manage another year or more. 

You think that Brandon Beane is stupid if he doesn’t draft a Rb with his first round pick.  You’re taking this too hard.  You don’t believe this. 

Just now, NewEra said:

You think that Brandon Beane is stupid if he doesn’t draft a Rb with his first round pick.  You’re taking this too hard.  You don’t believe this. 

I wonder how many teams would have wished they didn’t pass on Jonathan Taylor. The key to taking a RB high in the draft is being able to identify 1st round or upper 2nd round talent to justify it. The key is to find a ultra productive RB that has speed and can do it all. Taylor fit that criteria, Breece Hall fits that criteria. 4.39 speed, size comparison to Beast mode, and the catching abilities of McKissic. Absolutely I think any GM would be stupid to pass up a late first rounder on talent like this. 

11 minutes ago, NewEra said:

People may not see Fournette as being elite, but he's an above average 3-down RB.  Given the opportunity, he'd be a top 5ish back and Joe Mixon was just in the Super Bowl.  

The Bills *can win without an elite RB.  My argument is that it can happen far easier with than without.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I'm neither excited nor angry about this signing.  Looks like a decent veteran depth RB signing.  Given that the Bills are his 4th or 5th team, he's not likley in high demand and his price tag isn't likely too high, but he's carved out a role on all of these teams and has been productive.  From what I have seen, he's a better pass receiving option than Singletary or Moss and he can pass block, so he fills a need.

8 minutes ago, IronMaidenBills said:

I wonder how many teams would have wished they didn’t pass on Jonathan Taylor.

I wonder if Indy wishes they didn't pass on Josh Allen....

I wonder which of the two teams has greater regrets now? Maybe the one who isn't favored to win the SB next year? 

I think this is a move we would have made even McKissic was here. I expect him to compete with Zack Moss and possibly push him off the roster. I'd still expect a quick pass catcher in the Draft. I like James Cook in the 3rd (so long as Ryan Bates re-signs). But I also think even a 3rd Round pick is pushing it. These discussions about Breece Hall make me laugh.

3 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

I wonder if Indy wishes they didn't pass on Josh Allen....

Andrew Luck was still tossing the ball for them, and had a solid year, but it was his last year

1 hour ago, MiltonWaddams said:

He definitely had a role in Cleveland. They just had Hunt and Chubb to play instead…and he certainly was not playing over them.

He was productive without any competition.  I understand the full room in Clev but not able to  find a role with Houston or Miami is a concern.  Dont get me wrong I liked him coming off his 70 or so catch season in Cle.  Im not expecting alot.  He could fill the pass catcher back role.  With the new play caller im curious if they will utilize it.  Unlike what they did with Yeldon.

1 minute ago, IronMaidenBills said:

Completely different draft class and situation. Come on. 

No, you are the one telling everybody here how much the Bills are going to regret not taking Breece Hall - and how every team in the NFL is regretting not taking Jonathan Taylor. I think it is entirely relevant to point out which team has greater regrets at the moment for their draft choices...

4 minutes ago, IronMaidenBills said:

Completely different draft class and situation. Come on. 

This is going completely over your head (like everything else)

1 hour ago, IronMaidenBills said:

I’ve already said numerous times on here, a RB alone can’t win it all, but if they are coupled with an elite QB, that team is nearly unstoppable. If KC had Derrick Henry, nobody is stopping them. 

Henry needs touches in order to be effective and you think he is getting that with Mahommes LOL

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.