Bills sign Duke Johnson!!

BillsMafi$

7 hours ago, Turk71 said:

Johnson was drafted in the 3rd round (77th pick) while Mckissic went undrafted a year later. Scouts definitely felt Johnson had much greater potential.

I definitely think the Bills got the better player who is more versatile, faster while being 15 lbs heavier, has a better resume', and will cost less. 

He's also a month younger.

I like this pickup. 

My guess is, there’s a reason why the Bills targeted McKissic first.

Could be because, stats aside, they felt he was a better player for us

• Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 hours ago, newcam2012 said:

I don't dislike the pick up. It's cheap and he might do well in the Bills offense. However, I'm a bit skeptical Johnson will bring much to the table. He's bounced around a few teams and had moderate success in Cleveland. For me, it's hard to get enthusiastic about Duke Johnson. Beane had a very limited budget and did ok here. I'd temper your expectations. 

My guess is Johnson is being brought in to be the number 2 rb. Maybe the 3rd down back. Either way, he isn’t coming in as the starter, unless he has an amazing camp/pre season. 

He looked really good last year when he got playing time down the stretch. Certainly better than what we saw from Moss, and I think that’s the idea. Have insurance in case Moss doesn’t develop. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

19 minutes ago, No_Matter_What said:

That's really cheap, especially for Johnson. Both have around 350k guaranteed, which is not great wrt Mancz, since I hope he will not be good enough to make the roster.

Seems neither will be top 51 contracts.  Those are the moves they got left most likley.  Barring another restructure or extension to create space for a cb.  

Really love this signing at a bargain. Singletary took control of the RB room the 2nd half of last season but it is nice to snag an elite pass catching running back. For comparison, DJ's owns a massive 9.2 yards/reception over his career, which is more than CMC (8.4 y/r), Fournette (7.1 y/r) and JD McKissic (7.8 y/r). Really don't understand why anyone wouldn't like this acquisition, especially given the price. 

• Like (+1) 4

1 hour ago, Tanoros said:

My guess is Johnson is being brought in to be the number 2 rb. Maybe the 3rd down back. Either way, he isn’t coming in as the starter, unless he has an amazing camp/pre season. 

He looked really good last year when he got playing time down the stretch. Certainly better than what we saw from Moss, and I think that’s the idea. Have insurance in case Moss doesn’t develop. 

Agree 100%. What I'm taking exception too is some here are acting like Johnson is the second coming...The pick up is solid but lets keep it in perspective. 

Edited by newcam2012
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Looks as though they are both Veteran Salary Benefit contracts.  The "tell" is they count less against the cap than the salary plus bonuses.

image.thumb.png.291367fa33bb36b45eaafd8a042d6356.png

Here's a good explanation:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/jake-kumerow-contract-details-and-the-nfls-veteran-salary-benefit/ar-AAV0Yuh

Looks as though the Bills guaranteed part of their base salary as well, and that the maximum additional bonus allowed under VSB has had an increase from $137,500 to $152,500.

• Like (+1) 2

7 hours ago, No_Matter_What said:

That's really cheap, especially for Johnson. Both have around 350k guaranteed, which is not great wrt Mancz, since I hope he will not be good enough to make the roster.

Really? I hope Krommer unlocks his potential and he because a pro bowl caliber Guard. 

Edited by buffaloboyinATL
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

11 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

My guess is, there’s a reason why the Bills targeted McKissic first.

Could be because, stats aside, they felt he was a better player for us

Mckissic is the better receiving option and blocker as a combination

Duke is a better runner and more dynamic receiver

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Hey, while I got your attention, what's your take on Crowder's playing speed?  Does it look faster than his 40 time to you?  Would love you to wander over to his thread and weigh in.

I think Crowder plays pretty fast.. he isnt a burner by any means .. but he's really quick, and seems to get up to top speed fairly fast 

He's been a matchup nightmare inside 10 yards for a lot of teams.. he seems to be open a lot in that area 

And he'll probably bring more speed then Cole.. I like the signing 

He's a crisp route runner

10 minutes ago, Doc said:

Just curious, but based on what?  He's out-produced McKissic in the passing game.

If you noticed I said and blocker.. that means both taken into context

Duke is a little more explosive and has a little bit more yards per catch.. but jd is a much better blocker 

Both have been fairly reliable receivers but JD is a good blocking back.. protecting Josh probably put that over the hump ... Never misses a pickup

People forget that a third down backs top job is pass protection.. then be an outlet... Very few guys like McCaffrey who just run routes out of the backfield all day

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 5

22 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

If you noticed I said and blocker.. that means both taken into context

Duke is a little more explosive and has a little bit more yards per catch.. but jd is a much better blocker 

Both have been fairly reliable receivers but JD is a good blocking back.. protecting Josh probably put that over the hump ... Never misses a pickup

People forget that a third down backs top job is pass protection.. then be an outlet... Very few guys like McCaffrey who just run routes out of the backfield all day

Yeah, I noticed you said blocker.  But that's a separate attribute from receiver.  But thanks for the information on both new players.

7 minutes ago, Doc said:

Yeah, I noticed you said blocker.  But that's a separate attribute from receiver.  But thanks for the information on both new players. 

That's why I said receiver and blocker.. it's a package as a 3rd down back

The biggest reason Zach Moss was taking snaps from singletary his rookie year was because of blocking.. the biggest attribute for a third down back 

People think that all they do is run routes and catch... The reality is they're blocking more often than they're actually running routes.. across 32 teams the biggest job for third down back is block and release  

Fred Jackson was a master, that's why we couldn't keep him off the field 

Mckissick is better at blocking and releasing .. dukes a little more explosive.. and both are pretty steady 

But I feel beane wanted the blocking asset

Edited by Buffalo716

1 hour ago, Buffalo716 said:

That's why I said receiver and blocker.. it's a package as a 3rd down back

The biggest reason Zach Moss was taking snaps from singletary his rookie year was because of blocking.. the biggest attribute for a third down back 

People think that all they do is run routes and catch... The reality is they're blocking more often than they're actually running routes.. across 32 teams the biggest job for third down back is block and release  

Fred Jackson was a master, that's why we couldn't keep him off the field 

Mckissick is better at blocking and releasing .. dukes a little more explosive.. and both are pretty steady 

But I feel beane wanted the blocking asset

FredEx in his prime on this offense would be amazing 

• Agree 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.