Bills sign Duke Johnson!!

BillsMafi$

5 hours ago, StHustle said:

Won't be nowhere near what JD would've been. May not make the team.

Completely disagree, Duke has a better build (shorter but stockier), faster, quicker.  He's better than McKissic and almost certainly cheaper once we get the details. 

Good signing for a pass catching back, this is all you need. No need to invest $7 million in a 29 year old JAG like Mckissic.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, ArtVandalay said:

Completely disagree, Duke has a better build (shorter but stockier), faster, quicker.  He's better than McKissic and almost certainly cheaper once we get the details. 

Good signing for a pass catching back, this is all you need. No need to invest $7 million in a 29 year old JAG like Mckissic.

Agree Duke may be a little better, or at least in REC yards and TD's stats are a little better. The bold I'm not sure of... Some have posted they believe McK is faster than Duke.

I honestly don't know, but if so it may not be much anyways.

1 hour ago, GreggTX said:

Camp body. I'd rather have a 3rd or 4th round pick out there as Singletary's backup.

Deal or bury Moss... still draft a back but a guy with size and explosiveness, I wouldn't be opposed to even drafting a RB in round 1 or 2 like Walker, would be a cheap way (cap wise) to get impact production.

Duke shouldn't be a camp body, he should be a specialized pass catching back. I think Moss had the hottest seat.

5 hours ago, MiltonWaddams said:

Good receiving back. Past his prime, but has some of the attributes they were looking for in Mckissic.

Yes. Yes he can.

Past his prime based on what? His birth date?

5 hours ago, Back2Buff said:

Hopefully he doesn't make the team.  Solves zero need.

Need to draft a speed back.

Duke ran a 4.54 at the combine and faster at his Pro Day. He ran a 10.62 in the 100 meters in high school.

5 hours ago, Logic said:

check the charts, my man:

Thank you for the quality post. It is much needed in this topic.

4 hours ago, ngbills said:

What happened to speed? We may have the slowest rb's in the league with Singletary, Moss and Johnson. We need a speed back. 

Duke ran a 4.54 at the combine for which he was disappointed with himself. He ran a 10.62 in the 100 meters in high school. 

4 hours ago, WotAGuy said:

I’ll take a victory lap on this one. 

I didn’t call this signing, or any of them for that matter. I just feel like I deserve a victory lap. 

1 hour ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

Do people realize he's faster than McKissick and has significantly higher yards per reception average?

No they don't. Too busy writing instead of reading... pre-formed opinions.

To the mods: Please consider changing your definition of "crusading."  Crusading should encompass more than just the person who cuts and pastes the same post over and over. Thank you.

5 minutes ago, Sheneneh Jenkins said:

According to Yolo's post comparing their last 62 games it's pretty close. I mean yeah, in principal Duke's are a little bit better, but not enough to argue about imo.

They're not world-beaters, but Johnson appears to be a more productive back.  And at a lesser price.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Doc said:

They're not world-beaters, but Johnson appears to be a more productive back.  And at a lesser price.

Yeah I agree with you. I'm just mainly pointing out to the ones saying McK is better. I don't know what exactly he is thought to be better at, but I don't see anything to support it

2 minutes ago, Sheneneh Jenkins said:

Yeah I agree with you. I'm just mainly pointing out to the ones saying McK is better. I don't know what exactly he is thought to be better at, but I don't see anything to support it

Neither do I.  Which makes me wonder why they went after him first?

9 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Incorrect.  Better than a camp body and a productive player with a skill set we wanted

Agreed. Barring injury or unforeseen circumstances Duke will take snaps away from Moss. It's only a matter of how many if you know what I mean.

Edited by Sierra Foothills
  • Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Don't we pretty much have to draft a CB in the first couple rounds if not in round 1?  Seems that's a pretty gaping hole for us right now.

Do not be surprised if they sign at least one more DB before the draft.

Today alone they filled the RB and a WR hole.  

There are at least 2 Vet DBs that might chase a ring - I am not concerned.  

I would still expect a high DB drafted, but it may not be the gaping hole at that point.

• Like (+1) 4

6 hours ago, No_Matter_What said:

You can never have enough Dukes.

depends what was for dinner last night…

this is kind of a consolation prize but it’s going to be Duke or moss I think. There’s a number of draftable prospects for the JDM role.

1 hour ago, ArtVandalay said:

Exactly for the $3 million in savings we just signed Case Keenum 

6 hours ago, JGMcD2 said:

It’s a real murders row…

2010: CJ Spiller, Ryan Mathews, Jahvid Best

2011: Mark Ingram 

2012: Trent Richardson, Doug Martin, David Wilson

2015: Todd Gurley, Melvin Gordon

2016: Ezekiel Elliot

2017: Leonard Fournette, Christian McCaffrey

2018: Saquon Barkley, Rashaad Penny, Sony Michel

2019: Josh Jacobs

2020: Clyde Edwards-Helaire 

2021: Najee Harris, Travis Etienne

Question: how are you guys defining "First round RB picks that DON'T work out"?

For example, with 6 years in the league and 1000+ yds in 4 of them, >900 yds and missed games in another 2 season, Zeke Elliot is pretty clearly in a different category than Sony Michel or Saquon Barkley.

4 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Fine.

I probably missed the rest of Sal's comparisons here

2 hours ago, Doc said:

Neither do I.  Which makes me wonder why they went after him first?

How do you know they went after McKissic first?  They may have wanted Duke Johnson, but he thought he had a deal elsewhere which fell through.

Or, there may be something on tape they like better about McKissic, who knows?

• Thank you (+1) 2

I just read the first couple pages of comments.  This is not a random signing that we can criticize.  I'd never heard of McKissic till this week, and I've heard of Duke.  Which means nothing.  But after watching clips, I can see why he's got value to the team.  How anybody can criticize a Beane move at this point is beyond my comprehension.  

• Like (+1) 5

27 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Question: how are you guys defining "First round RB picks that DON'T work out"?

For example, with 6 years in the league and 1000+ yds in 4 of them, >900 yds and missed games in another 2 season, Zeke Elliot is pretty clearly in a different category than Sony Michel or Saquon Barkley.

My thought Is:

• Impact on the team that drafted them

• Ability to get a second contract with their drafting team

• Extract value from them on their 2nd contract. 

Purely from a team perspective. 

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Does Daboll think the New Jersey air will improve his blocking in the backfield?

Nope. Might be his plan... He doesn't want Jones either as his QB. Between Feliciano and Brieda blocking, Jones may not make it to week 3. Easy way out. Thank goodness he's got Tuhrod and Webb on the roster. That Diabolical Daboll...🤣🤣🤣

• Haha (+1) 3

23 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Does Daboll think the New Jersey air will improve his blocking in the backfield?

I'm a little shocked with all the former Bills he has added especially in terms of backups but maybe he wants to fill the locker room with guys that believe in his system.

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, ArtVandalay said:

McKissic got a lot of garbage yards playing on a garbage team. Everyone run down the field and then they throw a dump down to McKissic. By far Beanes worst signing this off-season. Thank Jesus we got out of it. Duke is a little slippery between the tackles too

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Johnson was drafted in the 3rd round (77th pick) while Mckissic went undrafted a year later. Scouts definitely felt Johnson had much greater potential.

I definitely think the Bills got the better player who is more versatile, faster while being 15 lbs heavier, has a better resume', and will cost less. 

He's also a month younger.

I like this pickup. 

• Like (+1) 5

39 minutes ago, Turk71 said:

Johnson was drafted in the 3rd round (77th pick) while Mckissic went undrafted a year later. Scouts definitely felt Johnson had much greater potential.

I definitely think the Bills got the better player who is more versatile, faster while being 15 lbs heavier, has a better resume', and will cost less. 

He's also a month younger.

I like this pickup. 

I don't dislike the pick up. It's cheap and he might do well in the Bills offense. However, I'm a bit skeptical Johnson will bring much to the table. He's bounced around a few teams and had moderate success in Cleveland. For me, it's hard to get enthusiastic about Duke Johnson. Beane had a very limited budget and did ok here. I'd temper your expectations. 

1 hour ago, The Jokeman said:

I'm a little shocked with all the former Bills he has added especially in terms of backups but maybe he wants to fill the locker room with guys that believe in his system.

I remember McDermott doing this during his first year or two with the Bills.    Doesnt hurt to have a few people who are accustomed to your system.       Giants are going to need at least a couple of years to rebuild their team either way.

Edited by dgrochester55

17 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

I don't dislike the pick up. It's cheap and he might do well in the Bills offense. However, I'm a bit skeptical Johnson will bring much to the table. He's bounced around a few teams and had moderate success in Cleveland. For me, it's hard to get enthusiastic about Duke Johnson. Beane had a very limited budget and did ok here. I'd temper your expectations. 

He actually had a good year last season and can play all facets of the position.  Be prepared to be pleasantly surprised.

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

Have you checked out this very well-produced piece that shows every one of Duke Johnson's touches from the last 6 weeks of last season?

Look how much he gets on each play relative to the blocking. Also notice the energy and attitude (how quickly he gets up from a tackle), vision, instincts, agility, and power (click where it says "Watch on YouTube"). Keep in mind this is NOT a highlight reel, simply a compilation of every touch over a 6 week period. If you have a good eye for football I think you'll find it pretty impressive.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Rochesterfan said:

Do not be surprised if they sign at least one more DB before the draft.

Today alone they filled the RB and a WR hole.  

There are at least 2 Vet DBs that might chase a ring - I am not concerned.  

I would still expect a high DB drafted, but it may not be the gaping hole at that point.

I hope you're right. But as of this moment, that's a gaping hole.

10 minutes ago, Sierra Foothills said:

Have you checked out this very well-produced piece that shows every one of Duke Johnson's touches from the last 6 weeks of last season?

Look how much he gets on each play relative to the blocking. Also notice the energy and attitude (how quickly he gets up from a tackle), vision, instincts, agility, and power (click where it says "Watch on YouTube"). Keep in mind this is NOT a highlight reel, simply a compilation of every touch over a 6 week period. If you have a good eye for football I think you'll find it pretty impressive.

Thanks, Good link!

Some nice runs in there.  Like most running backs if there's a crease to get past the line of scrimmage he does very well.   If the OL is stood up at the line of scrimmage he can't break through the DL.   However he CAN and does get by Linebackers and DBs with stiff arms, jukes or just plain running them over. I think he's better than many there.  Not a star, but definitely looks like a capable NFL player.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Sierra Foothills said:

I liked Duke when he played for the Browns. He had some big pass catches for long runs. For the price he's a very good addition. I'm just going to wait and see how he does with the Bills. 

1 hour ago, Sierra Foothills said:

I can put something similar with Brieda last year too. No? He's better than Brieda but let's not get carried away. It's Duke Johnson whose bounced around teams for a reason. Under the right circumstances, I believe he can contribute and gives the Bills offense another weapon teams have to be concerned about. But, let's not try to make this guy the next Adrain Peterson. 

Edited by newcam2012
  • Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.