Chandler Jones signing with Raiders - 3 years, $52.5 mill

YoloinOhio

Just now, LABILLBACKER said:

You can't beat KC or good AFC playoff teams with defensive JAGS.  He's gotta know this. You keep schlepping guys like Murphy,  Addison or Hughes out there is counterproductive. And newsflash other than maybe Rousseau, these other 2 youngins probably don't stick. 

Why?  

1 minute ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Lawson was also a backup LB I believe 

Check the snap counts - they're about the same.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Read what room? This message board?!? They better not.

You know the old saying. "Once you start listening to the fans, you'll be sitting with them".

For as disappointed as I am with the news today as a fan, they better not make any moves just to make me(us) "happy".

Are we really in it to win it?  Don’t ask for a billion in taxpayer money for a new stadium and then hide behind the salary cap excuse that doesn’t stop other teams from going all in.  Take the $3.5m per year that one your JAG signings spurned you on and add that to your Jones offer.  

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, nucci said:

do you think the Bills were his only other option?

I dont think I ever said that.  What I said was he took the money over a chance to win a Lombardi.   I said that because he went to a team that while being in the playoffs last year, has no legitimate chance to win the Super Bowl with Derek Carr as their QB.   Like it or not, there 5-10 teams a year that have a real chance of going to and winning a Super Bowl.   Then there are 22-27 other teams that have average to below average QBs who have to sign Chandler Jones for $17 million dollars a year to either sell tickets, or make it to the first round of the playoffs.

The Bills are in the 5-10 teams because of who they have at QB.   That was my point.  He took the money, like he said in his tweet.

2 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

You can't beat KC or good AFC playoff teams with defensive JAGS.  He's gotta know this. You keep schlepping guys like Murphy,  Addison or Hughes out there is counterproductive. And newsflash other than maybe Rousseau, these other 2 youngins probably don't stick. 

He's leaning on Josh quite a bit as well.  Heaven forbid Diggs goes down, what's this offense going to look like?

3 minutes ago, blacklabel said:

Never ever trust any player when they claim it's not about money and they "just wanna win." Every time I've seen that type of situation, the player always goes to the highest bidder. And Beane absolutely refuses to get into any sort of bidding wars. 

I'm sure he's out there making the calls and telling agents what type of offer they have. Something like (and this is hypothetical) "Yeah we can go 3 years for $30 million overall" and the agent says "Well, Vegas says they'll give us 3 years at $38 million, you wanna match? My guy says he wants to play there..." And Beane says, "Welp have fun with the other team. Bye. *click*"

They just do not have the assets to chase any of these big names. They're so tight against the cap that no matter their offer, there's at least a dozen or more teams out there that can easily outbid them. 

Ah well. Keep on truckin'. 

I really think that Chandler Jones was a gamble at his age and maybe if a guy that was just as good but younger became available, the Bills would find the money. The cap is soft. You can push money into the following year. We have to win a Super Bowl with the great Josh Allen. We cannot blow this. We should have won one already…. I sure hope the Pegulas and McBeane understand this…

And finally, you don’t win a Super Bowl standing pat. Eventually has to make the moves. Little moves are…. are far from guaranteeing  a Super Bowl appearance. Beane HAS to find that missing player, imho… the one that pushes us iover the edge. On this team, it looks like a front four defender….

Like I said...

Jones says "it isn't about money", but would surely proceed to take more money to play for a non contender.

And yes, I'm counting the Raiders -- in that division -- as a non-contender. You're telling me they're gonna rise above the Mahomes Chiefs, Herbert Chargers, and Wilson Broncos any time in the foreseeable future? Ain't happenin'.

Money talks, bull#### walks.

• Like (+1) 1

Jets, Colts, and 49ers were in contention? Three teams without a solid starting QB? It was absolutely about the money. Now go and get Akiem Hicks and make this team impossible to run on. We may not get pressure with the front 4, but at least Milano, Taron, and Poyer are decent blitzers.

• YoloinOhio changed the title to Chandler Jones signing with Raiders - 3 years, $51 mill
5 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Brandon Beane has a little Darcy Reiger in him. Very conservative GM.

I think thats incredibly unfair.   He wheeled and dealed his way to a franchise QB.  When he has had money he has spent money.

As I've said here leading up to Free Agency, bored fans were going to piss and moan this week because the Bills have their franchise QB, paid him, and now dont have a ton of money to spend in a low cap year.    Meanwhile all of the armchair GMs had the Bills cutting and trading a 5th of their roster to sign Von Miller, JC Jackson, Brandon Schreff, and Chandler Jones.    Not conservative, smart.   You dont overspend in Free Agency, there is a reason these guys are on the market.  You dont spend money you dont have.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Back2Buff said:

There are maybe 3 DEs that really make a difference play in and play out.

I don't get the obsession with spending all this money on mediocre DEs that make a difference one play a game.

Let these kids fly at DE.  Invest into a top end CB.

Three? Who you got on that short list?

Just now, thenorthremembers said:

I think thats incredibly unfair.   He wheeled and dealed his way to a franchise QB.  When he has had money he has spent money.

As I've said here leading up to Free Agency, bored fans were going to piss and moan this week because the Bills have their franchise QB, paid him, and now dont have a ton of money to spend in a low cap year.    Meanwhile all of the armchair GMs had the Bills cutting and trading a 5th of their roster to sign Von Miller, JC Jackson, Brandon Schreff, and Chandler Jones.    Not conservative, smart.   You dont overspend in Free Agency, there is a reason these guys are on the market.  You dont spend money you dont have.  

Unfair? Who has more championship appearances? Regier was a very good GM, just conservative.

Regier made some good trades also.

• Like (+1) 1

Same thing happened last year. The Bills were "supposed" to go all in on aging pass rusher J.J. Watt. Beane was cheap to not offer more than Arizona.

Then Watt went out and played 7 games for a total of 1 sack.

I was interested in Chandler Jones too, but apart from the opening game last year, he got what...5 sacks the rest of the season?

1 minute ago, TBBills said:

Yea that is the response from people that don't understand the cap. Don't get mad though many people stuck in your shoes.

I understand the cap.  They could have made room, done a long term deal, etc to spread things out.  That's not what Beane does.  He never maxes out his credit card.  His  moves are measured and look at the long term effects.   I would have loved Chandler Jones, too.  Just not at that price tag.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 2
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

Huh?  There's no depth at the skill positions.  Smart people prepare for the worst.

You cant stack an entire roster. You just cant. It's a give and take. And teams with Franchise QBs have to give more than they take.

Get used to the new normal.

What sucks is Chandler Jones isn’t worth 17 mill. So, while I want to blame Beane, I don’t know how he could have got a great DL. Except out-bid the colts when the niners traded away Buckner….We should of bid in that one….I think anyway… how much does Buckner make? I loved that trade for the colts…. Maybe the 49ers didn’t want Allen to get Buckner though…

Were there any other trades Beane could have made? 

21 minutes ago, Gambit said:

Like I said earlier, good luck making it this year in that division. It's very possible they go 0-6.

Anything is possible, but they have a good team.  They’ve competed well against the Chiefs and Chargers.  We’ll see how the Broncos look with Wilson.   They have a team that can compete.  That’s all anyone can ask for.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Unfair? Who has more championship appearances? Regier was a very good GM, just conservative.

Regier made some good trades also.

Beyond the Regier comparison you called Beane a "very conservative GM."  In my opinion he has been exactly the opposite of that.      If you said he has been "very conservative this offseason" I'd agree,  the Bills just dont have the money to make a big splash in free agency.   But if you look at his entire history as Bills GM, to call him "very conservative" is not just unfair its blatantly wrong.   A "very conservative" GM doesnt trade his way into the number 7 pick in the draft a year after making the playoffs and draft maybe the most wild card QB prospect in history.  Neither does he send 1st round picks to Minnesota for Diggs.  He's made big moves, he didnt get the nickname Big Baller Beane by being conservative.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

You cant stack an entire roster. You just cant. It's a give and take. And teams with Franchise QBs have to give more than they take.

Get used to the new normal.

If the cowboys or broncos or 49ers or rams or NO or Tampa had JA they would have won a SB by now. Whoever said how can NO be in on Watson is correct. You CAN continually push monies into the future.

I'm okay with missing out on someone if both sides can't come to an agreement. It happens a lot and we just need to move on.

Now, McKissic... we had a verbal agreement with him to my understanding. After all the FA dust settles that's the only one that's going to still sting in my mind.

All those who keep referencing the 5 sacks Jones had the majority of the season, was it due to ineffectiveness? Was he getting double teamed after that 5 sack output? Was he getting close but not finishing the job? There’s always context for the 5 sacks. I think Hughes had like 2 all year despite being tabbed our best pass rushing DE. 

2 minutes ago, Donuts and Doritos said:

1st our new RB left us. Now our new Edge Rushers doesn't show up. This sucks being cap poor.

There is no such thing.

The Saints were 75 million over the cap and didn't release a single body and shaved off 70 Million in cap space. 

Just now, dpberr said:

3 years for a 32 year old pass rusher?  I'm happy that's Raiders money being spent.  

That’s true, but we still are out of luck and badly in a whoever has the ball last wins scenario…. So we are given Allen 1:1 odds of winning a playoff game vs. a good opponent. We do NOT have the defense we need to be a powerhouse. If we don’t do something brilliant I expect the Bills to lose their current vegas odds title.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.