What is your "Win Now" off-season scenario?

billsfan89

This thread is not to make any what do you think will happen but rather to put together a scenario of how the Bills can put together the best roster in 2022 future be dammed just win now. This isn't necessarily the place for realistic scenarios (although try and keep it within the Bills cap space somewhat) but rather what it would look like if the Bills went "All in" on 2022 and just set it all on the line for one season. Below are my roster moves all based on Spotrac. 

1- Restructure everyone eligible outside of Haack, Star and Mongo. This would get the Bills to 26.7 million in cap space. 

2- Cut Mongo (Assuming he won't take a pay cut), Haack, Cole Beasley and post June 1st cut Star. This would get the Bills to 41.5 million in cap space. 

3- Resign Bates, Levi Wallace, Phillips, T.Jones, Ike (assuming he takes a non-guaranteed deal), and Zimmer. Backloading Phillips and Levi's deal that would take you down to about 25 million in cap space. 

4- I would also mull over an Edumonds extension to lower his cap hit a few million as a margin for error in this scenario. 

This is where things get whacky 

1- Trade pick 25 and the 2023 1st round pick for DK Metcalf. The Bills without Cole and Mac in this scenario could use more fire power. Metcalf would allow the Bills to move Diggs to the slot and have another dynamic weapon for Josh. It would cost the Bills in the future but for Seattle the return on DK is solid a late 1st this year and another future 1st in their back pocket allows them flexibility going into a 2023 draft that is more than likely to have better QB's. This scenario opens up if the Seahwaks trade Wilson and go full rebuild. Hard to pass up two firsts and not have to give an extension. 

Plan B: Keep Beasley or Mac and draft a WR in the first two rounds as depth. 

2- Sign Laken Tomlinson. The Bills made a big investment to get DK a WR1a for Josh but the interior line remains a big of an issue still. The Bills have about 22.5 million in cap space and it would take them a nice chunk of what remains to bring in a big time guard to protect Josh and open up the running game. But backloading the deal and forgetting about the future is what this is about and you can probably backload his deal to take a smaller hit up front and maybe take his deal to have an 8.5 million dollar cap hit. This would take the Bills down to about 14 million in cap space. 

Plan B- Sign another high end guard in free agency

3- Sign Calais Campbell one year 6 million. The Bills burn their last bit of cap space (minus a rookie pool that is lower due to the DK trade) the last area of major concern before the draft is DE. Groot, AJ, and Boogie are the DE's on the roster and that's a lot to expect from unproven players. Campbell would add a nice vet presence to the locker room and add a good proven player to that positional group. 

4- Draft Travis Jones in round 2 or another DE/NT. The Bills don't have too much draft impact but in round 2 they can add a bit more to the defensive line hoping to get Travis Jones as a replacement but a DE to add to the mix isn't too bad of a plan B. 

5- Draft depth and a punter the rest of the draft. The Bills after adding a player to their D-line have sured up a lot of their roster but could use a punter and some depth/youth in the secondary, LB core, O-line and WR core. Rounds 3-7 should provide a chance to secure some of this depth and put the Bills in position to win the Super Bowl. 

This would be great for the time being. We’d win the super bowl barring a catastrophe. We’d run into major problems down the road.  We’d have to pay Metcalf 18M+ On top of Diggs’ next extension. I don’t see how we’d be able to keep kicking money down the road on all of these contracts plus the extensions coming in 23.  

i think in this instance, edmunds would have to go and be replaced by a rookie or cheap option.  No way we can afford all of these guys and maintain some of our home grown talent.  

Just now, NewEra said:

This would be great for the time being. We’d win the super bowl barring a catastrophe. We’d run into major problems down the road.  We’d have to pay Metcalf 18M+ On top of Diggs’ next extension. I don’t see how we’d be able to keep kicking money down the road on all of these contracts plus the extensions coming in 23.  

i think in this instance, edmunds would have to go and be replaced by a rookie or cheap option.  No way we can afford all of these guys and maintain some of our home grown talent.  

It's not what's going to happen for sure. Just looking at how the Bills could go "***** it" and make a run for it in 2022. I think the off-season will look similar to this but minus the Larken and DK acquisitions. Mainly I think it will remind me of the 2021 off-season where most acquisitions were retaining the team's own talent and finding upgrades via the draft.

• Like (+1) 1

1) Trade our 1st for Danielle Hunter.

2) Trade Edmunds for a 2nd and sign De'Vondre Campbell to be his replacement.

3) Package both 2nds to trade back up into the 1st and draft the best CB remaining.

4) Sign OBJ with the understanding that he will not be available until the playoffs.

5) Spend one of our remaining picks on a speedy slot receiver.

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Dislike 1

7 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

It's not what's going to happen for sure. Just looking at how the Bills could go "***** it" and make a run for it in 2022. I think the off-season will look similar to this but minus the Larken and DK acquisitions. Mainly I think it will remind me of the 2021 off-season where most acquisitions were retaining the team's own talent and finding upgrades via the draft.

Agreed.  

I could Beane make a splashy move, similar to the Diggs move though.  It just has to be the right deal for the right player.  We aren’t desperate to make a move and we shouldn’t be…..but the right player for the right price and Beane could pounce.  Eager to see how this plays out,  

2 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

1) Trade our 1st for Danielle Hunter.

2) Trade Edmunds for a 2nd and sign De'Vondre Campbell to be his replacement.

3) Package both 2nds to trade back up into the 1st and draft the best CB remaining.

4) Sign OBJ with the understanding that he will not be available until the playoffs.

5) Spend one of our remaining picks on a speedy slot receiver.

1- would love it.

2- Edmunds for a 2nd LOL.  Lucky to get a 3rd maybe even a 4th.  

3- I’d rather stay put and draft the best corner available and keep the other pick for OL, DL, WR.  

4- I can’t see any way that OBj leaves LA and chooses to sign with Buffalo.  He’s that kind of guy.  

5- agreed- need to add more playmakers

• Like (+1) 1

Unlike the Rams, our window is a decade long. I think this team's success is sustainable and I wouldn't mortgage our future by dealing picks unless it's for a young player that we extend for a long-term deal. 

Von Miller played well for the Rams down the stretch, but trading a 2nd and 3rd round pick for half a season of play will hurt them in the long-term. 

I think we are more likely to trade away players for picks as draft day approaches (Edmunds, Morse, Beasley, Ford)

• Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

This thread is not to make any what do you think will happen but rather to put together a scenario of how the Bills can put together the best roster in 2022 future be dammed just win now. This isn't necessarily the place for realistic scenarios (although try and keep it within the Bills cap space somewhat) but rather what it would look like if the Bills went "All in" on 2022 and just set it all on the line for one season. Below are my roster moves all based on Spotrac. 

1- Restructure everyone eligible outside of Haack, Star and Mongo. This would get the Bills to 26.7 million in cap space. 

2- Cut Mongo (Assuming he won't take a pay cut), Haack, Cole Beasley and post June 1st cut Star. This would get the Bills to 41.5 million in cap space. 

3- Resign Bates, Levi Wallace, Phillips, T.Jones, Ike (assuming he takes a non-guaranteed deal), and Zimmer. Backloading Phillips and Levi's deal that would take you down to about 25 million in cap space. 

4- I would also mull over an Edumonds extension to lower his cap hit a few million as a margin for error in this scenario. 

This is where things get whacky 

1- Trade pick 25 and the 2023 1st round pick for DK Metcalf. The Bills without Cole and Mac in this scenario could use more fire power. Metcalf would allow the Bills to move Diggs to the slot and have another dynamic weapon for Josh. It would cost the Bills in the future but for Seattle the return on DK is solid a late 1st this year and another future 1st in their back pocket allows them flexibility going into a 2023 draft that is more than likely to have better QB's. This scenario opens up if the Seahwaks trade Wilson and go full rebuild. Hard to pass up two firsts and not have to give an extension. 

Plan B: Keep Beasley or Mac and draft a WR in the first two rounds as depth. 

2- Sign Laken Tomlinson. The Bills made a big investment to get DK a WR1a for Josh but the interior line remains a big of an issue still. The Bills have about 22.5 million in cap space and it would take them a nice chunk of what remains to bring in a big time guard to protect Josh and open up the running game. But backloading the deal and forgetting about the future is what this is about and you can probably backload his deal to take a smaller hit up front and maybe take his deal to have an 8.5 million dollar cap hit. This would take the Bills down to about 14 million in cap space. 

Plan B- Sign another high end guard in free agency

3- Sign Calais Campbell one year 6 million. The Bills burn their last bit of cap space (minus a rookie pool that is lower due to the DK trade) the last area of major concern before the draft is DE. Groot, AJ, and Boogie are the DE's on the roster and that's a lot to expect from unproven players. Campbell would add a nice vet presence to the locker room and add a good proven player to that positional group. 

4- Draft Travis Jones in round 2 or another DE/NT. The Bills don't have too much draft impact but in round 2 they can add a bit more to the defensive line hoping to get Travis Jones as a replacement but a DE to add to the mix isn't too bad of a plan B. 

5- Draft depth and a punter the rest of the draft. The Bills after adding a player to their D-line have sured up a lot of their roster but could use a punter and some depth/youth in the secondary, LB core, O-line and WR core. Rounds 3-7 should provide a chance to secure some of this depth and put the Bills in position to win the Super Bowl. 

Definitely interesting plan.......thanks for sharing.

1 - I don't think Metcalf brings 2 first rounders in return from anyone.   The Bills 1st might be right on the nose for his trade value.   All it takes is one team........but it's another strong WR draft on the heels of several very good ones........WR isn't a desperate need around the league and he only has one season of team control left..........and no 5th year option for an acquiring team to leverage to make a deal.   

3- I wouldn't pay Calais Campbell that much.........he'd be a nice addition but he is not a playmaker anymore.........more of a run defense addition.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

They won't do it.  Beane has built this thing from the ground up and I think he would be happier being a playoff team every season over winning one super bowl and then being fired in 5 years.  It's a pipe dream.  They will make moves but nothing earth shattering.  They are close and they know it.  

8 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Agreed.  

I could Beane make a splashy move, similar to the Diggs move though.  It just has to be the right deal for the right player.  We aren’t desperate to make a move and we shouldn’t be…..but the right player for the right price and Beane could pounce.  Eager to see how this plays out,  

My question is who would that Diggs type move be? I wonder if that "splashy move" would be on the offensive or defensive side of the ball? 

9 minutes ago, Mark92 said:

They won't do it.  Beane has built this thing from the ground up and I think he would be happier being a playoff team every season over winning one super bowl and then being fired in 5 years.  It's a pipe dream.  They will make moves but nothing earth shattering.  They are close and they know it.  

I fully agree, this is more of a bored off-season type post. 

I haven't researched the draft yet but the best FA values at positions of need at DE Emmanuel Ogbah, RB Leonard Fournette and LB Leighton Van der Esch. I can't speak to whether they fit into our systems. I didn't put any OL because it seems like our way is coach mediocre guys up rather than draft or spend high

Edited by stuvian

2 firsts for DK is a no go for me. Get DJ Chark instead. 6'4" with great speed and solid hands. Very good at YAC. Put him with Diggs and Gabe and Josh has a 5000 passind season.

Bradley Bozeman, Connor Williams for the O line. Move up for Jordan Davis for the D line in the draft. Donate Jackson at CB. 

• Agree 2

15 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

My question is who would that Diggs type move be? I wonder if that "splashy move" would be on the offensive or defensive side of the ball? 

I fully agree, this is more of a bored off-season type post. 

Good question.  Not sure which elite types are available, but I believe Beane has his eyes and ears wide opened

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

2 firsts for DK is a no go for me. Get DJ Chark instead. 6'4" with great speed and solid hands. Very good at YAC. Put him with Diggs and Gabe and Josh has a 5000 passind season.

Bradley Bozeman, Connor Williams for the O line. Move up for Jordan Davis for the D line in the draft. Donate Jackson at CB. 

Agree. If we give big money to a WR would very much rather just sign Chark who would be perfect for this offense. 

I think the chance of either though is pretty close to 0.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Process said:

Agree. If we give big money to a WR would very much rather just sign Chark who would be perfect for this offense. 

I think the chance of either though is pretty close to 0.

I think Chark is very possible. He has elite speed. Ran a 4.34 40 (Tyreek Hill was 4.29) so with Beane's comments at the end of season presser, I have to believe he's on their radar.

Also, he's coming off an injury that ended his year and joining a ton of excellent WRs on the FA pool. Good chance he has to end up on a 1 or 2 year "prove it" deal. And I would think catching passes from Allen, in a pass heavy offense is a attractive way to rehab your value. This is a signing I really could see.

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This took a lot of work OP so while I dont think the do it I appreciate the effort.

I have an overall view of what should be done in the offseason.....

- Continue to biuld pass protection for Allen

- Dont allow quality targets to falter while we are trying to figure out what to do with Bease and McKenzie...if possible IMPROVE upon them

- We get virtually NO YAC yards in our offense.....it is done solely on Josh Allen's arm and then they get tackled....we need to figure out how to improve this

- We shouldnt run the ball considerably more...but we should get MORE OUT OF THE TIMES WE DO IT....now some of this could come out of Kromer's run scheme (Kromer is a really good OL coach)

- On defense....pass rush pass rush pass rush......guys that FINISH and not just get pressures......guys that are athletic and run down the Mahommes of the league when they run out of the pocket. (the amount of times that a DL missed Mahommes last game and let him make a play was deplorable

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

• I’d probably put Cody Ford, Jon Feliciano and Darryl Williams on the trade block. Maybe even AJ Epenesa and Tremaine Edmunds too, depending on compensation.

• In FA I would target Mike Gesicki and Juju Smith-Schuster (I know he’s not a process guy, bite me!)

• In the draft I would go:

1. Kaiir Elam, CB

2. Andrew Booth, CB

3. Drake London, WR

4. Jameson Williams, WR

5. Tyler Linderbaum, OC/OG

6. Jordan Davis, NT

(in that order)

• If we go CB RD1, go WR in RD2

• If we go WR RD1, go CB in RD2

• I like the idea of trading up in RDs 2, 3, 4. I feel you can be very aggressive here without losing a whole bunch of draft picks, especially if we get some mid round picks from some of the players I would like us to shop.

• Draft at least two CBs minimum.

• Draft one WR fairly high (RD1, RD2) and also sign a premier WR in FA.

• Restructure Mitch Morse, extend him a few years with incentives so he does not retire.

• Work on extending Stefon Diggs.

2 hours ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

The issue with Chark is that he's missed 21 games and been hobbled in many more in his brief career.

That's why he has only averaged a measly 500 yards per season.

Metcalf hasn't missed a game in his career and has averaged over 1,000 per season with gaudy TD numbers.

They are on 2 very different levels as players.

If Chark could be brought in for $4M or something it is a worthwhile gamble but not at the projected 4 year deal @ $13M per year..........that could end up making the Star Lotulelei deal look like good business.

Metcalf has just a $4M cap hit in 2022.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Allen2Diggs said:

Von Miller played well for the Rams down the stretch, but trading a 2nd and 3rd round pick for half a season of play will hurt them in the long-term. 

I'm so ready to be hurt AFTER the Bills have secured a Lombardi I can taste it.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

The issue with Chark is that he's missed 21 games and been hobbled in many more in his brief career.

That's why he has only averaged a measly 500 yards per season.

Metcalf hasn't missed a game in his career and has averaged over 1,000 per season with gaudy TD numbers.

They are on 2 very different levels as players.

If Chark could be brought in for $4M or something it is a worthwhile gamble but not at the projected 4 year deal @ $13M per year..........that could end up making the Star Lotulelei deal look like good business.

Metcalf has just a $4M cap hit in 2022.

Any team that aquires Metcalf should be prepared to brace themselves to give him a new deal before he even sees the field. And he will be looking to get top tier money. And if he gets that...be ready for Diggs to want a re-up ASAP as he's earned that.

While I can concede that Metcalf and Chark are different levels, the OP suggested trading 2 firsts for him. 

Metcalf is great but the better value there is Chark, the cap savings to devote to other areas, and 2 1sts IMO.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Any team that aquires Metcalf should be prepared to brace themselves to give him a new deal before he even sees the field. And he will be looking to get top tier money. And if he gets that...be ready for Diggs to want a re-up ASAP as he's earned that.

While I can concede that Metcalf and Chark are different levels, the OP suggested trading 2 firsts for him. 

Metcalf is great but the better value there is Chark, the cap savings to devote to other areas, and 2 1sts IMO.

Yeah there might not be ANY WR in the NFL that is worth two 1st round picks right now............because the league has been bombarded with new talent at the position since Metcalf entered the league.    Basically every team has SOME guys that can play the position well now.........some have A BUNCH.    It's not like during the WR drought of 2015-2017.   What team is so desperate to add an impact WR that they need to do that now?

But Metcalf and Chark are MILES apart in terms of what you can actually expect to receive.      

Metcalf would be an unbelievable match with Josh Allen.............right now Chark looks like another Will Fuller...........$13M for a guy who misses 5-6 games per year on average and produces less when he actually does play.........that's no contest.

Metcalf is worth a 1st round pick more than Chark is worth risking $13M per year.    

And I disagree that you have to ink Metcalf right away..........I don't expect him to sit out for a deal.........he stands to make more money if he hits UFA in 2023 when the cap jumps signficantly.    This year it's just now back to where it was projected to be in 2020.

You'd hate to risk losing him for only a 2024 comp pick..........but if your board tells you that you are only going to get a Shaq Lawson quality player at #25........maybe you take that chance.

9 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Yeah there might not be ANY WR in the NFL that is worth two 1st round picks right now............because the league has been bombarded with new talent at the position since Metcalf entered the league.    Basically every team has SOME guys that can play the position well now.........some have A BUNCH.    It's not like during the WR drought of 2015-2017.   What team is so desperate to add an impact WR that they need to do that now?

But Metcalf and Chark are MILES apart in terms of what you can actually expect to receive.      

Metcalf would be an unbelievable match with Josh Allen.............right now Chark looks like another Will Fuller...........$13M for a guy who misses 5-6 games per year on average and produces less when he actually does play.........that's no contest.

Metcalf is worth a 1st round pick more than Chark is worth risking $13M per year.    

And I disagree that you have to ink Metcalf right away..........I don't expect him to sit out for a deal.........he stands to make more money if he hits UFA in 2023 when the cap jumps signficantly.    This year it's just now back to where it was projected to be in 2020.

You'd hate to risk losing him for only a 2024 comp pick..........but if your board tells you that you are only going to get a Shaq Lawson quality player at #25........maybe you take that chance.

I agree with this.  Comparing Chark and Metcalf is ludicrous.  Metcalf seems like a good dude also, and he’s smart enough to understand what could happen for his wallet if he is matched with Josh for a year.

This is perhaps the only “1 year rental” I can think of that makes sense for the Bills.

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, Mark92 said:

I hear you but I’m 45 we we’re close the last two years, I’m ready to win a super bowl I hope they do what ever it takes. Allen will always keep us in the playoff hunt 

2 hours ago, GottaRun said:

I'm so ready to be hurt AFTER the Bills have secured a Lombardi I can taste it.

I agree 💯 do what ever it takes, we’ve had all our draft picks just about every year and still no rings. 

• Like (+1) 1

I believe we will do these things which help us greatly:

1) get Beasley to take less money to stay, which I think he does since so many WR are available this year.

2) restructuring Diggs, Dawkins and Williams to free up some cash.

3) spend money for an impact Edge rusher around 10 million a year.

4) drafting the best CB in draft with first pick, since DB draft is deep. 

Conceptually this is a quite a fun thread to read, all these ways to cripple this franchise in ways that would never happen in real life is quite entertaining.  There are a lot of fertile imaginations at work here, 

Go Bills!!!

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Draft (the right) one early, and let him play on the cheap for a while. Chasing expensive FA’s at every position is not the way to build a team. It worked with the Rams this year (good for them), but I’m not a fan of that style. The Rams were lucky we fell to the Chiefs in a classic game. The Bengals were lucky they didn’t have to play either of us on a good day. 

Luck matters. I want a lot of shots, not just one or two. 

I’m into winning long term more than “win now”. Be in the mix every season, and you will get one eventually. I’m not for rolling the dice on one shot at the cost of future seasons. 

• Like (+1) 2

28 minutes ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

I believe we will do these things which help us greatly:

1) get Beasley to take less money to stay, which I think he does since so many WR are available this year.

2) restructuring Diggs, Dawkins and Williams to free up some cash.

3) spend money for an impact Edge rusher around 10 million a year.

4) drafting the best CB in draft with first pick, since DB draft is deep. 

That's a bingo!

7 hours ago, NewEra said:

plus paying for Knox and Davis in the next 2 years....We definitely won't be spending that kind of money on  WR position.  So Metcalf will not work for us.

3 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

The Will Fuller comp is fair injury wise but you wouldn't be paying close to 13 million for Chark. And with our training staff we might be able to keep him healthy. If we could big if but if we could he would be a huge value for what he is going to get in free agency I feel due tot hat injury history. And he would be an ideal wr 4 imo. He has an extra gear real speed stretch the field guy.

56 minutes ago, ganesh said:

plus paying for Knox and Davis in the next 2 years....We definitely won't be spending that kind of money on  WR position.  So Metcalf will not work for us.

I agree….but if we did get him, we’d probably win the super bowl this year

My toughts:

1. get D lineman stud- buy one of C Jones, clowney, or Von Miller. They were going for JJ last year, so not out of the question

2.  Trade for Toney + Barkley - give up Beasley/Singletary/Mongo + Edmunds.- actual cap savings 

3  add/buy TE2 - get Gronk for 8M. If not then Ertz 

4..draft-CB+IOL+RB2+Edmunds replacement.

• Like (+1) 2

The item that gets lost in many of these sort of observations regarding our lack of YAC is that the offense (and could possibly be a reflection of Josh Allen's tool set) has been predicated (in many situations) on Josh making the correct read and then throwing to "a static position" on the field.   Unless we're talking about "down the field" or "cross routes", there are many times where the throw windows in the Bills offense just isn't there for YAC.   I don't think that this is a reflection of the shortcomings of our WR/TE's but just due to the types of routes being run.    

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ganesh said:

Knox and Davis had 500 yard receiving seasons last year.........Knox has averaged around 400 and Gabe 550 in their 5 combined seasons.

I think Bills fans have a misconception about these 2..........they have both been inconsistent and had some BAD games this past season..........and haven't actually done much yet........and there are no guarantees that they actually will.

• Disagree 1

26 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Knox and Davis had 500 yard receiving seasons last year.........Knox has averaged around 400 and Gabe 550 in their 5 combined seasons.

I think Bills fans have a misconception about these 2..........they have both been inconsistent and had some BAD games this past season..........and haven't actually done much yet........and there are no guarantees that they actually will.

There are no guarantees in life. I like their chances. 

Edited by Augie

11 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

We dont need anything big, honestly we should have won the Superbowl this year. Just need to improve the interior of both lines , get speed at the skill positions and secondary.

Or…they could’ve just held the Chiefs receivers at the line of scrimmage in the last thirteen seconds, without a single roster move. 😉

9 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

And it goes the other way on the misconception of Knox salary.  A Hooper ($10M), R Tonyan (spotrac est $10.8M), and J Smith ($12M) all didn't go over 500 yards. Market data is out there, with more to come- R Tonyan and D Schultz are FAs this year. Last year Hunter/J Smith got $12M, Goedert $14M.

Beane and Co need to factor in a market rate TE so we can continue to have a top notch offense. Prices don't drop. One advantage to drafting and developing is extending and paying market rates a year early. You do that with Knox.

Knox offers continuity, upside, culture fit, and the odds on favorite to be the best TE the Bills have ever had.  It boggles my mind that some people don't even want to pay him the market rate.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.