Brian Flores suing NFL, NY Giants, Dolphins, Broncos.

BillsFan4

2 questions:

1. Why did Flores continue working for the Dolphins after Ross allegedly bribed him to lose games? Wouldn’t the courageous thing to do be to resign on the spot and not wait until you were fired to bring this to light?

2. Why did he bother going on the Giants interview if he thought he had no shot?

• Like (+1) 1

I see it is starting to Mushroom. 

Hugh Jackson now saying he was paid to lose. FO was paid to lose. And has the payments to prove it. 

this is NOT going to end well for NFL. 

get ready for the Lottery in the draft that will come soon enough with these. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, Sharky7337 said:

You all act like we didn't already know ow these bad teams tanked. We all knew it. It's funny to me this is news.

I think the monetary incentive piece is the bigger takeaway, here.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

Just now, MAJBobby said:

Hugh Jackson now saying he was paid to lose. FO was paid to lose. And has the payments to prove it. 

And it also shouldn't end well for Jackson if he did in fact take money to lose, anyone in the FO who took money for losing, and Haslam for paying them to lose. Every one of them should be permanently banned from professional sports

1 hour ago, TH3 said:

Still dying on that hill huh?

Sean McDermott's quote seems appropriate here: "They had us for dead, we ain’t dying yet”

Here, let me give you another viewpoint:

52 minutes ago, syhuang said:

Does "may be able to back up allegations" depend on how much Ross is willing to pay? 😎

Ha.  Now isn't that a point?

12 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

If Jackson was dumb enough to take the money, and now tell everyone he took it, he's opened himself to a massive suit by Browns fans for defrauding them. 

2 minutes ago, Sharky7337 said:

Federal offense how? Hahahaha he can make whatever performance bonus criteria he wants he owns the team. 

Should look into game fixing. And yep the Same RICO laws that went against the Mob for game fixing can be used here. 

the NFL has an issue they have to fix.  Also I can already incision the Anti Trust hearings in Congress going after those protections if this is found legit. 

3 minutes ago, Mango said:

I hope the NFL enjoyed its antitrust exemption while it lasted. 

Yep agree. A single allegation can be swept away. Two not so much. Congress has been looking to pull the anti trust protections from the NFL. Here is their carrot. 

Just now, Big Turk said:

I think the NFL will end up settling to make this go away and Flores never coaches again in the NFL.

And Jackson??? 

1 minute ago, MAJBobby said:

Yep agree. A single allegation can be swept away. Two not so much. Congress has been looking to pull the anti trust protections from the NFL. Here is their carrot. 

And Jackson??? 

It always amazes me that NFL fans would be eager for the anti-trust exemption for the NFL to go away..

20 minutes ago, Sharky7337 said:

You all act like we didn't already know these bad teams tanked. We all knew it. It's funny to me this is news.

Honestly I don't really see a problem with it.

It sucks, actually, which is why a lottery of the worst seven teams in the first round (with no weighting) is the obvious path forward. I can't see it not happening after this.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, krf139 said:

2 questions:

1. Why did Flores continue working for the Dolphins after Ross allegedly bribed him to lose games? Wouldn’t the courageous thing to do be to resign on the spot and not wait until you were fired to bring this to light?

2. Why did he bother going on the Giants interview if he thought he had no shot?

those are good questions, i'd wager

1: he wanted to win and didn't want to let his players down

2: it was a suspicion that was confirmed to him after the fact when the giants hired dabol.

looking at this, and it's a lot of info coming in from a fire hose, it seems to me like the text from boomer billicheck is what put him over the top in feeling slighted.

Why was Brian Flores fired as Miami Dolphins head coach?

After three seasons, Brian Flores is out as head coach of the Miami Dolphins. Flores was fired this morning, Adam Schefter of ESPN reports. The move comes as a surprise, as Flores appeared to have righted the ship after a shaky start. But Dolphins owner Stephen Ross apparently felt that the team’s step backward this season was unacceptable.

YEAH RIGHT....wow....FIFTY page thread Im so behind.....holy moly what a clusterduck this situation is.....its pretty disgusting , I'll even call it sleazy. I recall a lot of posters were surprised when Flores was fired in the first place. Now THIS geez louise. Booooooooooooo

smh

www.profootballtalk.com first quote

https://brobible.com/sports/article/brian-flores-fired-details-report-tagovailoa/

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news/brian-flored-fired-dolphins/1o2rytfzddww11wxwsxmm7mr2c

Edited by muppy

8 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

On the whole, Yes.  You name a Star in Lamar.  Yes, every player has Stars who have big guaranteed contracts, and on whom the success of the season rides - Lamar, Rodgers, Wilson, Aaron Donald.

But you weren't talking about a few stars on each team, you were pretty clearly talking about the majority of the team.  There are 69 players in each NFL locker room, counting the 16 on each practice squad.  Do you really want to try to cast an a argument that most of those guys have power in the organization?  The Isaiah McKenzies and Ryan "Rick" Bates and Tyrel Dodsons who comprise the majority of each NFL roster?

C'Mon Man.  What power do most of these guys have?  They don't have guaranteed contracts, they can be released from the team at any point during the season for any reason.

As for "competitive at all costs", do you honestly think the 2019 Dolphins were trying to be "competitive at all costs"?  How about the 2003-2019 Browns?  You think an organization that is genuinely dedicated to "Win at All Costs" manages to achieve such abysmal results? 

What about the Bills from the late '60s to the early '70s, or in the early '80s, or for that matter during the recent Drought?  You really think that's "win at all costs" when Ralph Wilson was known to hire people he trusted vs. the best football guys, and "lifers" "dysfunction junction" and "cash to cap" were part of our Bills fan vocabulary?

And don't get me started on the Detroit Lions.

No, I'm not going to go into a history lesson on institutional racism and sexism for you.  It's beyond the scope here.

This is hysterical from the guy who made the statement ""If racism is rampant throughout the league, owners would not employee black players." 

Get a mirror and check yourself.

In their twisted approach to winning at all costs, yes, the Dolphins were tanking for the opportunity to draft a franchise QB, because they know that is a very likely path to winning consistently. Why would they tank and decrease revenue opportunities from increased ticket sales, merchandise sales, etc., if they were solely interested in profits, and not winning? The owners are billionaires, they are smart, and they are ultra competitive.

With respect to Ralph, I agree with you - but I don't think that mentality exists in today's NFL ownership.

I do have some knowledge on the subject of institutional racism. Institutional racism did exist and federal regulations, such as Home Mortgage Disclosur Act, Equal Credit Opportunity Act, Community Reinvestment Act, etc., have been implemented to eliminate discrimination - as such, it has been eliminated since the early 1980s.  Affirmative action policies have also promoted the opportunities for minorities.  Some may say AA policies have even over corrected the issue. However, throwing money at issues hasn't worked in the past. And people blaming their problems on racism is short sighted, and unfortunately is a knee jerk reaction. We need to dig deeper, for truth instead of accusations.

• Haha (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

And Jackson??? 

He was already never coaching again 🤣

Edited by Big Turk

5 hours ago, The Wiz said:

They havent hired a coach yet.

Now no team will hire him yet the Saints and Texans jobs which he interviewed are still unfilled. I suppose they will get slapped with the racist tag too for not hiring him. I don't understand why he filed this lawsuit before seeing if he got a HC job. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, stuvian said:

Now no team will hire him yet the Saints and Texans jobs which he interviewed are still unfilled. I suppose they will get slapped with the racist tag too for not hiring him. I don't understand why he filed this lawsuit before seeing if he got a HC job. 

Maybe Belechick already texted him the results.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Don’t care either way. I do know this is the carrot that those in Congress that want to pull them will use. 

Were they "looking to pull" the anti-trust protection after Spygate?  Deflategate?  CTE-gate?  Redskins-cheerleader gate?

No, and why not? 

Because "the stick" is that no congressman who votes the end the NFL as fans currently enjoy it would be re-elected.

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

C'Mon Man.  What power do most of these guys have?  They don't have guaranteed contracts, they can be released from the team at any point during the season for any reason.

I see your point to some degree, but you seem to have forgotten about the huge signing bonuses that many of these players receive. Also, I think that the average NFL Salary is pretty high, and the union benefits are very good.  What is the league minimum salary these days? Do they get pensions after 4 years? I don't remember how long they must play in the league to qualify.

Btw I am NOT one who thinks that these players don't deserve big salaries for the physical beatings they really do take. They do, but I am unprepared and unwilling to paint NFL players as powerless victims. Is this how you would categorize them?

Edited by Bill from NYC

It seems like the part of the lawsuit that is getting the most traction, corroboration and attention is about tanking, which has nothing to do with race.

IMO the race stuff is just there to get attention but it's ultimately not provable. You can hire whoever you want. A team just liked candidate A better, it's that simple. 

And Congress investigate? LOL really?

OK, let's talk about the diversity of Congress, AND the diversity of each member of the panel's congressional aides and staff. 

This lawsuit is going to become a lot more about tanking and that type of thing than race. It's already going that way. 

1 minute ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

There's a contract. 

Does the contract say coach will be paid for losing X number of games? If so that's amazing. 

It brings up a question. Is strategically angling to lose when the NFL offers a massive incentive to do it (the Draft) a crime? Or is it like punting? You cut your losses this season for a huge gain later, your ULTIMATE goal being to win because that draft pick will help you do that.

Edited by TheFunPolice

13 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I don't think there will ever be consensus on any issue, and it's pretty typical that the loudest voices are not necessarily the majority view.

That said when I say "we all know what's going on", I think that even people who don't believe that equitable NFL coach hiring is a problem, would, if questioned about some specific cases, admit that they recognize the coaching choice was pre-determined and any interview process of other candidates was a sham.

Jon Gruden being hired as the HC of the Raiders would be one example.

That's what I mean by saying "we already know it (sham interviews where the hire is known) is going on".

I'm not doubting you, but that's a much higher figure than I've seen elsewhere - can you share your source?

And of course, right now there is only one (Tomlin) - and a couple of recently hired minority HC's were fired after 1 year, which many people regard as way too short of a time to have a fair chance at building a team and culture.

https://m.lasvegassun.com/news/2022/jan/14/nfl-executives-want-expect-more-black-coaches-to-b/

15 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Were they "looking to pull" the anti-trust protection after Spygate?  Deflategate?  CTE-gate?  Redskins-cheerleader gate?

No, and why not? 

Because "the stick" is that no congressman who votes the end the NFL as fans currently enjoy it would be re-elected.

Does any of those Gates include payments for FIXING games?

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

It seems like the part of the lawsuit that is getting the most traction, corroboration and attention is about tanking, which has nothing to do with race.

This lawsuit is going to become a lot more about tanking and that type of thing than race. It's already going that way. 

I find this part of the issue to be quite fascinating. 

If a police officer sees this type of corruption and it is found out that he or she waited 3 years or so to report it, the officer would be fired or perhaps even jailed, depending on the degree of the corrupt act(s). The difference is, a police officer is a public servant. A football coach is not.

I am wondering if there is anything in the contract of a coach, or even the NFL Charter/Bylaws that demand that the coach comes forward if he knows of corruption. If so, Flores certainly would appear to be guilty. In a way, I feel bad for him. If his allegation about tanking is true, this is certainly a blow to the integrity of the entire NFL. In essence (again, if he is telling the truth), he was given a choice between "ratting out" a billionaire owner, or keeping quiet and saving his career. Tough choice, no?

4 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

Is a team resting starters because it has the playoffs locked up tanking/throwing that game?

That team losing could affect a handful of other teams that don't make the playoffs because they needed that team to win. 

This is a Pandora's box

Good question!!!

I am guessing that resting players is not necessarily trying to lose. 

• Like (+1) 2

37 minutes ago, Southtown Tommy said:

I do have some knowledge on the subject of institutional racism. Institutional racism did exist and federal regulations, such as Home Mortgage Disclosur Act, Equal Credit Opportunity Act, Community Reinvestment Act, etc., have been implemented to eliminate discrimination - as such, it has been eliminated since the early 1980s.  Affirmative action policies have also promoted the opportunities for minorities.  Some may say AA policies have even over corrected the issue. However, throwing money at issues hasn't worked in the past. And people blaming their problems on racism is short sighted, and unfortunately is a knee jerk reaction. We need to dig deeper, for truth instead of accusations.

Wait, what? 

Evans bank was charged with redlining and settled in 2015.  Trustmark National Bank just settled a few months ago. The fact that the federal government had to charge lenders with said violations in recent local history would prove that institutional racism exists. And it exists based on the the standards you just set in this post. 

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.