Brian Flores suing NFL, NY Giants, Dolphins, Broncos.

BillsFan4

1 hour ago, thenorthremembers said:

Anyone with any common sense knew this would happen eventually.  The NFL screwed the pooch by putting the Rooney Rule in place to start with.    You dont fight racism but putting a rule in place that judges someones interview worthiness by the color of their skin.  The racist and unfair NFL with 75% minority employment.  

What percentage of head coaches and GMs are minorities? Agree with the rule or not, it has led to some coaches and executives getting their names out there, and getting jobs down the line. I interviewed hundreds of people for promotions in a previous career, and occasionally the person you thought was the probably best fit before you started, definitely isn't once you sit down and meet with everyone. It's a good learning experience for the interviewer, and you tend to get more perspectives when you interview from a diverse pool of candidates, as long as they take the process seriously. Look at the Bills with Dorsey. Yes, he was an internal promotion. But they still interviewed other people, and had a backup plan if he decided to follow Daboll to the Giants. The problem comes if/when the entire thing is just a sham.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Either a remarkably well-timed piece, or the writer had been talking to Flores or his counsel - this ran yesterday:

https://www.natlawreview.com/article/will-nfl-be-sued-race-discrimination-against-black-coaches

A Fortune 500 company with the same hiring practices as many NFL teams would almost certainly already have had multiple major lawsuits against it under anti-discrimination laws such as Title VII of the 1964 Civil Rights Act. This begs the question then of what a potential race discrimination/glass ceiling case against an NFL team would look like.

Note: While a lawsuit against the entire NFL could be considered, a legal claim against an individual NFL team, as opposed to the league, is covered in this article.

This one was a head scratcher - am I forgetting about a black Bills coach, other than on an interim basis? I mean, Anthony Lynn counts? Perry Fewell?

And certain NFL teams have never hired a Black NFL coach. According to a study by USA Today, six NFL Teams have never hired a Black candidate (or any person of color) as their head coach or general manager on a full-time basis: the Atlanta Falcons, Dallas Cowboys, Jacksonville Jaguars, Los Angeles Rams, New England Patriot, New Orleans Saints, and Tennessee Titans

2 hours ago, teef said:

holy smokes!

This could get spicy! 

I thought he got a raw deal in Miami. It also sounds like he’s got a fairly solid case if he can prove the allegations. An owner paying a coach to lose sounds like they need a new owner down there. Hard to escape that unscathed!  A different twist on the Donald Sterling situation. 

My favorite part is Belichick getting the wrong Brian to text! How priceless is THAT? You slipping old man? Bet you wish you could have a do-over because you added to one giant stink! 

I’m happy to read in Flores statement that he knows this will risk his future in the game. He’s done. This is insane. Everyone is racist to him. Miami Dolphins the team that hired him for 3 years as a head coach is racist. Denver and Miami who considered him as a head coach and Interviewed him are racist. Complete insanity. People won’t stand for this stuff anymore. I wonder who else he will accuse next. 

3 minutes ago, KDIGGZ said:

The Giants hired the Bills Asst GM (who has absolutely no ties to Brian Flores).  And then the Bills Asst GM hires the Bills OC.  Wow, shocker.  I wouldn't be surprised if they were already decided on Daboll and that's why they went with Schoen.  They want to be the Bills and they want Daniel Jones to be Allen, who wouldn't?  Flores should have saved his race card and not used it up on this one.  Just because a new GM brings in his guy doesn't mean it has anything to do with racism.  It was the Bills package deal they were looking for.

Will be interesting to see if the teams with vacant HC positions still consider him

So now all of these people will need to defend their reputations and names...

Suddenly Leslie Frazier is going to be called out. Was your interview with NJ a sham in your view?

Elway: Are you really a drunk racist?

Brady: You met with the Dolphins while under contract with NE?

McD: Are you really a total tool who nobody likes?

Schoen: Are you really a racist?

Giants owners have a very good reputation in league circles. That won't go over well. 

• Vomit 1

1 hour ago, Boatdrinks said:

Exactly. It could be as simple as “

Daboll really wowed everyone in the interview and we think he’s a perfect fit! We still have to interview another candidate to comply x rule” Can’t tell me a decision isn’t already made in 99% of situations. The last interviewed isn’t necessarily getting the job. The league rule said they had to do one more , so they did. 

I think it could be more about due diligence than complying to a rule. Just because Daboll looked like a lock doesn’t mean that Flores couldn’t have knocked them out in the interview and stolen the job away.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, wppete said:

I’m happy to read in Flores statement that he knows this will risk his future in the game. He’s done. This is insane. Everyone is racist to him. Miami Dolphins the team that hired him for 3 years as a head coach is racist. Denver and Miami who considered him as a head coach and Interviewed him are racist. Complete insanity. People won’t stand for this stuff anymore. I wonder who else he will accuse next. 

While I can't agree with a lot of this, you do have a point: two of the teams he calls out (Denver and Miami) are, of course, two of a very small number of teams that have actually hired black head coaches in the last 5 years ....

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Augie said:

This could get spicy! 

I thought he got a raw deal in Miami. It also sounds like he’s got a fairly solid case if he can prove the allegations. An owner paying a coach to lose sounds like they need a new owner down there. Hard to escape that unscathed!  A different twist on the Donald Sterling situation. 

My favorite part is Belichick getting the wrong Brian to text! How priceless is THAT? You slipping old man? Bet you wish you could have a do-over because you added to one giant stink! 

I suspect Belichick didn't make a mistake. This toxic disaster hurts the Bills and Dolphins (his biggest rivals) much more than the Pats. 

• Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

So now all of these people will need to defend their reputations and names...

Suddenly Leslie Frazier is going to be called out. Was your interview with NJ a sham in your view?

Elway: Are you really a drunk racist?

Brady: You met with the Dolphins while under contract with NE?

McD: Are you really a total tool who nobody likes?

Schoen: Are you really a racist?

Giants owners have a very good reputation in league circles. That won't go over well. 

NFL:

sweep-it-under-the-rug-bart-simpson.gif

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, KDIGGZ said:

The Giants hired the Bills Asst GM (who has absolutely no ties to Brian Flores).  And then the Bills Asst GM hires the Bills OC.  Wow, shocker.  I wouldn't be surprised if they were already decided on Daboll and that's why they went with Schoen.  They want to be the Bills and they want Daniel Jones to be Allen, who wouldn't?  Flores should have saved his race card and not used it up on this one.  Just because a new GM brings in his guy doesn't mean it has anything to do with racism.  It was the Bills package deal they were looking for.

We had a friend who sued her employer, one of the biggest banks in the country. They have very deep pockets, and all the time in the world. It did not end well for her. It didn’t matter if she might have been right, it was career suicide.

Playing the race card sounds iffy because the Bills connection makes it easy to see coming. Not sure I would have gone there unless there is more I don’t know (which I’m sure IS the case, but still). 

7 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

Keep in mind: Flores needs to prove his claims. The accused don't have to prove anything. But they will strike back and poke holes in everything he says. 

He really only needs to get to discovery. If Washington is any indicator, they don't want what could be there out. The NFL owners are insulated somewhat with the Comish and GMs, but every scandal you find out there is a lot of stuff going on. The Kap lawsuit did damage as well. 

1 minute ago, ToGoGo said:

I suspect Belichick didn't make a mistake. This toxic disaster hurts the Bills and Dolphins (his biggest rivals) much more than the Pats. 

It hurts the Dolphins severely, to the point they may need to get a new owner. I don’t see how it hurts the Bills at all. 

• Agree 1

Just now, TheFunPolice said:

Sometimes, people are just impossible to get along with and have real issues working with others. 

Many of these allegations read like dirty laundry that is impossible to prove. 

Not impossible to prove but unless Flores kept a recording of every meeting with Ross and whoever else it will be hard.  Unless he has bank statements of 100k increments that were deposited to him.

1 minute ago, JoPoy88 said:

They have to interview two external minority candidates for a HC opening though.

Only if the other person they are interviewing is from within and not a minority.

Daboll was external.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

He really only needs to get to discovery. If Washington is any indicator, they don't want what could be there out. The NFL owners are insulated somewhat with the Comish and GMs, but every scandal you find out there is a lot of stuff going on. The Kap lawsuit did damage as well. 

Dolphins owner Stephen Ross may well find himself on the outside here, being forced to sell the team.  Depends on how it plays out.

Lots of people are going to get dragged through the mud, and rightly so!

gettyimages-187696616.jpg

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.