Webb is not our QB coach. Speculation was wrong

Reed83HOF

5 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

It’s been trending this way for awhile.  He’d get a nice bump, be the OC in waiting, and maybe even get on the fast track to a HC position. 

It's getting some play on Twitter right now, you start to wonder where there's smoke there is fire

2 minutes ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

I think Tierney will be QBC unless he goes with Daboll.

Agreed. I don't think Assistant QB Coach is considered different to QB coach by the league. Promotions are only position coach to coordinator or coordinator to HC. So while I am sure Daboll wants to take Tierney (he brought him from 'Bama) the Bills do not have to give permission. 

2 minutes ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

Or a flop

Could be.  But those who know him rave about his intelligence.  So there’s that.  Another option would be to bring in a guy like David Culley, who was here before, has been all over the place, and apparently did nothing to help Josh.  “Terrific guy” was the quote an anonymous Bills staffer gave when asked to describe his performance here.  (I’d bet $100 that was Daboll, for what it’s worth.)

41 minutes ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

I think Tierney will be QBC unless he goes with Daboll.

FWIW, Tierney is already listed as the Giants QB coach on their staff Wikipedia page. I heard a rumor a while ago that Tierney was Daboll’s guy and would follow him. 

Grain of salt though.

Edited by Bangarang

32 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Depends who is talking about it. If it's just the Cover 1 guys...there's no smoke there. Anyone credible/informed doing any smoke about it?

Nothing credible enough yet that I would put any faith in it.  Erik had some connections 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Bangarang said:

FWIW, Tierney is already listed as the Giants QB coach on their staff Wikipedia page. I heard a rumor a while ago that Tierney was Daboll’s guy and would follow him. 

Grain of salt though.

I could only find him listed on the Bills page.  He is Dabolls guy but like Gunner said he can be blocked. 

Edited by Not at the table Karlos
  • Like (+1) 1

Should be Tierney with Webb as assistant QB coach.  If Tierney's smart, like Dorsey was, he'll stay with the Bills.  And so will Webb.  Although I'm sure the pay from being a player to an assistant QB coach is a major downgrade.

11 minutes ago, Doc said:

Should be Tierney with Webb as assistant QB coach.  If Tierney's smart, like Dorsey was, he'll stay with the Bills.  And so will Webb.  Although I'm sure the pay from being a player to an assistant QB coach is a major downgrade.

Maybe, but the health benefits are great!

According to SPOTRAC, Webb only makes around $240K on the practice squad, so Asst coach may pay nearly as well.

He has been on an active roster for at least 1 game in each of the last 5 years, not sure if that qualifies him for a player pension or not.

He did make $165k for the one game where he took kneel downs when Mitch had COVID

1 minute ago, Reed83HOF said:

The domino's are falling

Not really.  And actually it wasn't a surprise.  Daboll brought him from Alabama and Josh's success is mostly due to others.  Tierney might as well try his hand with Jones.

3 hours ago, Doc said:

Most anticipate Tierney to follow Dabs to NYG. Dabs brought him in from Alabama.

2 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

He's Dabolls right hand man. He came to Buffalo with Daboll. 

I know, I correctly predicted he'd join Daboll in NY in the who will Daboll take with him thread, but now the Bills have to bring someone in from outside & I'm not happy about it.   

2 minutes ago, Albany,n.y. said:

I know, I correctly predicted he'd join Daboll in NY in the who will Daboll take with him thread, but now the Bills have to bring someone in from outside & I'm not happy about it.   

Dorsey is still here.

9 minutes ago, Albany,n.y. said:

#@!%

13 minutes ago, Doc said:

Not really.  And actually it wasn't a surprise.  Daboll brought him from Alabama and Josh's success is mostly due to others.  Tierney might as well try his hand with Jones.

We all know it isn't a surprise...

My point with the domino's falling is that there will be movement on all of the positions now...

• Like (+1) 1

• Reed83HOF changed the title to Webb is not our QB coach. Speculation was wrong
49 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

We all know it isn't a surprise...

My point with the domino's falling is that there will be movement on all of the positions now...

So Joe Brady for QB coach.  Cool.

And I knew what you were getting at, but when a coach gets promoted to HC, he usually tries to poach assistants.  Washington's contract was up and frankly it's addition by subtraction.  I don't know what Tierney's contract status was, but again as I said, he wasn't getting the credit for Josh so there's no calling card for him to move up through the ranks like a Daboll or Dorsey.  If he can make something of Daniel Jones though...

And at best, Daboll might be able to take 1 positional coach (Babich?) to be DC for him, and maybe an assistant.

6 hours ago, BearNorth said:

According to SPOTRAC, Webb only makes around $240K on the practice squad, so Asst coach may pay nearly as well.

He has been on an active roster for at least 1 game in each of the last 5 years, not sure if that qualifies him for a player pension or not.

He did make $165k for the one game where he took kneel downs when Mitch had COVID

Um.  $240k is way more than a practice squad guy like Webb makes.

https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/eagles/heres-how-much-money-nfl-practice-squad-players-make

Players with two or fewer accrued NFL seasons earn at least $9,200 per week, which equals $165,600 for 18 weeks spent on the practice squad. (A player accrues a season when they are on full-time pay status for at least six regular-season games).  Players with more than two accrued seasons make a minimum of $14K per week and $252K for the whole season. For comparison, the minimum salary for a rookie on an active roster this season is $660K.

An Accrued Season is a single season with 6 or more regular-season games on "full pay status", meaning active roster or IR

I'm unclear on whether games where the player was elevated from PS then returned after the game count towards accrued seasons, but either way it's a moot point; despite being drafted in 2017, Webb only has 2 games in 5 years.

So Webb made $165k plus $36,700 (one game at NFL minimum) or about $200k.

Which is still more than most of the US population earns.

It's my understanding that a full position coach, such as an RB coach, or a QB coach, could make $200-400k, but that his assistants (assistant QB coach, offensive assistant) might be paid more in the 5-figure range, $40-50k since these are kind of considered an apprenticeship.

On 2/1/2022 at 11:27 AM, Reed83HOF said:

Webb wasn't signed to a futures deal

Said to be hiring Joe Brady

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/33201753

Getzenberg/ESPN is usually pretty reliable.

BUFFALO, N.Y. -- The Buffalo Bills are hiring former Carolina Panthers offensive coordinator Joe Brady as the team's new quarterbacks coach, a source confirmed to ESPN on Wednesday.

Brady was fired by Panthers coach Matt Rhule in December after almost two years with the franchise. A year ago, Brady landed interviews for head-coaching jobs with the Jets, Eagles and Falcons. He was a finalist for the Atlanta job, but the team ultimately hired Arthur Smith.

With the Panthers, Brady worked with a variety of quarterbacks, including Teddy Bridgewater, Sam Darnold and Cam Newton. Prior to that, he was the passing game coordinator at LSU during the 2019 national championship season, working with now-Cincinnati Bengals quarterback Joe Burrow.

Guess where he went to college....

Signing Brady is huge. 

My understanding was that he was an offensive quality control gopher for the Saints when he impressed then LSU coach Ed Orgeron after he presented a seminar on creating a successful NFL style passing attack.  He was promptly hired as the passing coordinator for LSU (they already had an offensive coordinator).  Brady went to a college with NO history of being a passing program and in one summer molded a transfer QB named Joe Burrow and a couple of unknown WR's named Chase & Jefferson into the greatest passing attack in College football history.

After that one record setting season he was hired as offensive coordinator for the Panthers and then fired (thrown under the bus) a year later.  It was clear Brady was promoted to quickly to NFL offensive coordinator.   Now the Bills are getting a real talent that understands how to create an explosive and effective NFL passing attack. This might be the most important off season coaching hire by the Bills in years.

• Thank you (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

So with the Joe Brady signing back to an OL coach and an Assistant GM to sign.

Asst. GM will almost certainly be an internal move, and there is no rush.

OL coach is a highly anticipated signing…

• Agree 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.