Bills request to interview Tee Martin for OC Job

17islongenough

3 hours ago, Heitz said:

Finally someone asking the question that should be asked.  :beer:

Have people on TBD ever hired before?  It's great to have a target you might hire, but never hurts to interview a group of candidates with diverse skill sets and backgrounds...

For God’s sake, yes!  Get as much input and ideas about how guys would take advantage of Allen’s talents as possible.  There is literally NO downside!  And if one of them absolutely blows you away, hire him!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

Well, in fairness, we know that the Bills had a very high powered offense the last couple of years, a very highly ranked defense the last two years, played in an AFC championship game and Divisional round game in successive years and a fair amount of folks wanted to run the coordinators out of town as well.   

How much experience do those "folks" have?  Running people out of town I am sure they have lots of which experience on which oil burns best and how to keep pitchforks sharp but on NFL football?  

3 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

The knock on Payton is that he'd essentially be a 1-year rental and gone once the Dallas HC spot opens up in 2023.

Which could be fine, and gives us more time to find the up-and-comer we really want to hire. But will cause more instability and turn over when Payton leaves and tries to take guys with him too.

You only need another OC for 2-3 years when Daboll gets fired in NY.

• Like (+1) 1

Martin did a great job with the Ravens pass game, was only there this year but they were hitting a lot of big plays.  Don’t want to swing the credit all to him, but his presence certainly helped, and it was a rough year for them injury wise.  Good luck to him. 

1 hour ago, Victory Formation said:

Thank you for the correction, sir. 

They call them the ‘Vols’. My parents moved to Knoxville area a few years back and I was super confused the first time I flew down and the pilot was like GO VOLS! I admittedly do not follow college football…

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Boatdrinks said:

Not a fan of the rule, but it looks like Martin has plenty of experience/ qualifications. 

Hes not getting the job...

43 minutes ago, bouds said:

Martin did a great job with the Ravens pass game, was only there this year but they were hitting a lot of big plays.  Don’t want to swing the credit all to him, but his presence certainly helped, and it was a rough year for them injury wise.  Good luck to him. 

They had like zero pass offense. lol

Anybody wanting Tee Martin knows zero about football.

Im a huge college football fan and so many USC and Tennessee fans hated the guy it was insane.

Hes a horrible horrible play caller. Hiring him would be a complete t total disaster.

50 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Stick around, we’ll let you know exactly how you should feel about it within a few more pages.

If you’re going to thumb down my Tee Martin laughing comment cuz the guy is a horrible coach, explain to me why you would support it..”Coach.”

• Like (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

Do the due diligence and hire somebody that makes sense.

Dorsey is definitely going to get a look, but it's always a little hard to believe that the best guy is sitting right there in your own building without even taking a look outside. The promoted guy who was there before works a lot less often than people think. 

The offensive coordinator role is a huge pair of shoes to fill considering Daboll's success here at Buffalo should be taking it pretty seriously, as they seem to be.

11 minutes ago, McBean said:

Anybody wanting Tee Martin knows zero about football.

In fairness..........a lot of people hated the Josh Allen pick and thought he was going to suck. ;)

Daboll was basically the least successful OC in the NFL at each of his 3 previous stops/firings...........and I got the distinct impression from how Saban screamed and sneered at him on the sidelines that he was not impressed with him at Alabama and probably drove him to the airport himself to get rid of him.

And a Josh Allen later he is now an NFL HC.

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, gonzo1105 said:

Man we were on our 3rd stringer and they won by 7 . We have Weinke, we crush them that year 

That game would’ve been over at halftime with Weinke *sigh*

The Tennessee and Oklahoma game where Richt coached like his head was already in Georgia will always be 2 titles we let slip away.

13 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

In fairness..........a lot of people hated the Josh Allen pick and thought he was going to suck. ;)

Daboll was basically the least successful OC in the NFL at each of his 3 previous stops/firings...........and I got the distinct impression from how Saban screamed and sneered at him on the sidelines that he was not impressed with him at Alabama and probably drove him to the airport himself to get rid of him.

And a Josh Allen later he is now an NFL HC.

100% This1 I hated the Daboll hire, that turned out well so I am personally okay with whom ever they end up with. It will be hard to mess up being an OC for Josh Allen. 

4 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

None of us and I mean none know the list.  It's the first they are interviewing.

I believe it's the Volunteers and not the Titans.

Yes, we don't know the list.  We do know the first person they inquired about hence why I said "First person on the list"

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, fergie's ire said:

Actor.  And really only gets gigs in commercials.

And he probably only got that gig because his older brother is one of the top comedic figures of our generation... :beer: 

"Cooper, he's my favorite" - Caesar & me.

People make such simple abstractions, like "why would the Bills want a WR coach from a bad passing offense?!", as if the performance of an entire unit of offensive football (and of a quarterback, for that matter) boil down to how good a job the WR coach was doing.

Given that Beane and McDermott have known that Daboll's exit was likely coming for about two seasons now, and that they're two of the most diligent, meticulous planners on the planet....you'd like to think that they've given this A LOT of thought. I'm not saying we should mindlessly trust whatever decision they ultimately wind up making, but I AM saying that they have more information, more insight, and have devoted A LOT more time and research to this hire than any one on this board. Anyone they think is worth interviewing for such an important job during such an important juncture of their Bills careers, probably IS worth interviewing.

Edited by Logic
  • Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, ßookie_tech said:

I saw Tee Martin in the season opener at the Carrier Dome in 98. 

Sounds like he may have a bright football mind and thought of highly in that organization. I actually didn't even know he was coaching. 

I was also at that  game. As I remember it, Syracuse with McNabb made a great comeback to take the lead. Then after a questionable PI call Tennessee kicked the winning field goal with a few seconds left.  Then, I believe Tennessee went on to win the national championship.

Edited by Mojo44
  • Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, Mojo44 said:

I was also at that  game. As I remember it, Syracuse with McNabb made a great comeback to take the lead. Then after a questionable PI call Tennessee kicked the winning field goal with a few seconds left.  Then, I believe Tennessee went on to win the national championship.

Yeah, Tennessee went on to win it all. That game was an instant classic.  I think that was the year McNabb went into Ann Harbor and took down Brady's Wolverines also. Cuse had a great team that year, just underachieved iirc. 

On 1/31/2022 at 8:41 PM, BADOLBILZ said:

I got the distinct impression from how Saban screamed and sneered at him on the sidelines that he was not impressed with him at Alabama and probably drove him to the airport himself to get rid of him.

You might be right but I am not 100% sure.

It is frequently said in Tide Fan circles that Daboll wanted to pull Hurts for the pre injury Tua early in the season and Saban refused to do so. When Saban did put Tua in there, they won a National Title. 

I'm not ready to give Daboll all, or even the bulk of the credit. The offense of that particuar team was SO good that Tua, Najee Harris, and Davonta Smith were second string freshmen!!! Personally, I think that their best OC in recent times was Sarkisian.

I think that Daboll prefered the NFL over college by a huge margin. Imo, being a college coach is MUCH harder and time demanding given the recruiting responsibility. Multiply this times at least 2 or more when you are working for an overbearing, obsessed Saban. The thing is, when you work under Saban, it really does pay. Ask Daboll, Sarkisian,  Kirby, Jimbo, Kiffen, Locksley, and MANY other multi-millionaires. ;) 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.