Should Something Be Done To Fix The Pro Bowl?

ndirish1978

After todays games I took a look at the Pro Bowl roster for the AFC just to check how many players selected actually made the postseason and was pretty surprised. I know a lot of people believe the Pro Bowl is meaningless popularity contest, but it does matter as far as contract incentives and when players are making their cases for the HOF, so it does frame legacy. Shouldn't something be done about Pro Bowl voting? Yes, this is an individual award, I just have an issue with the Pro Bowl being FULL of players playing for teams who essentially failed the litmus test for a successful season and didn't even earn a chance to play for a championship. 

Mods, please feel free to merge this to one of the other pro bowl threads if you want. I didn't think this was appropriate for the thread listing our pro bowlers so I figured a new one would be ok.

2022 AFC Pro Bowl roster by position

Offense

*Denotes starter

8 of 11 starters on Offense did not  make the playoffs

6 of 11 starters on Defense did not make the playoffs

Quarterback (3)

Justin Herbert, Los Angeles Chargers* Did not make the playoffs

Patrick Mahomes, Kansas City Chiefs

Lamar Jackson, Baltimore Ravens Did not make the playoffs, missed 6 games

Running back (3)

Jonathan Taylor, Indianapolis Colts* Did not make the playoffs

Nick Chubb, Cleveland Browns Did not make the playoffs

Joe Mixon, Cincinnati Bengals

Wide receiver (4)

Tyreek Hill, Kansas City Chiefs*

Ja'Marr Chase, Cincinnati Bengals*

Stefon Diggs, Buffalo Bills

Keenan Allen, Los Angeles Chargers Did not make the playoffs

Tight end (2)

Mark Andrews, Baltimore Ravens* Did not make the playoffs

Travis Kelce, Kansas City Chiefs

Offensive tackle (3)

Rashawn Slater, Los Angeles Chargers* Did not make the playoffs

Orlando Brown, Kansas City Chiefs*

Dion Dawkins, Buffalo Bills

Offensive guard (3)

Quenton Nelson, Indianapolis Colts* Did not make the playoffs

Joel Bitonio, Cleveland Browns* Did not make the playoffs

Wyatt Teller, Cleveland Browns Did not make the playoffs

Center (2)

Corey Linsley, Los Angeles Chargers* Did not make the playoffs

Ryan Kelly, Indianapolis Colts Did not make the playoffs

Fullback (1)

Patrick Ricard, Baltimore Ravens Did not make the playoffs

Defense

*Denotes starter

Defensive end (3)

Myles Garrett, Cleveland Browns* Did not make the playoffs

Maxx Crosby, Las Vegas Raiders*

Trey Hendrickson, Cincinnati Bengals

Interior linemen (3)

DeForest Buckner, Indianapolis Colts* Did not make the playoffs

Chris Jones, Kansas City Chiefs*

Cameron Heyward, Pittsburgh Steelers

Outside linebacker (3)

T.J. Watt, Pittsburgh Steelers*

Joey Bosa, Los Angeles Chargers* Did not make the playoffs

Matt Judon, New England Patriots

Inside/Middle linebacker (2)

Darius Leonard, Indianapolis Colts* Did not make the playoffs

Denzel Perryman, Las Vegas Raiders

Cornerback (4)

J.C. Jackson, New England Patriots* 

Xavien Howard, Miami Dolphins* Did not make the playoffs

Denzel Ward, Cleveland Browns Did not make the playoffs

Kenny Moore II, Indianapolis Colts Did not make the playoffs

Free safety (1)

Kevin Byard, Tennessee Titans*

Strong safety (2)

Derwin James, Los Angeles Chargers* Did not make the playoffs

Tyrann Mathieu, Kansas City Chiefs

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, ndirish1978 said:

After todays games I took a look at the Pro Bowl roster for the AFC just to check how many players selected actually made the postseason and was pretty surprised. I know a lot of people believe the Pro Bowl is meaningless popularity contest, but it does matter as far as contract incentives and when players are making their cases for the HOF, so it does frame legacy. Shouldn't something be done about Pro Bowl voting? Yes, this is an individual award, I just have an issue with the Pro Bowl being FULL of players playing for teams who essentially failed the litmus test for a successful season and didn't even earn a chance to play for a championship. 

Mods, please feel free to merge this to one of the other pro bowl threads if you want. I didn't think this was appropriate for the thread listing our pro bowlers so I figured a new one would be ok.

Offense

*Denotes starter

Quarterback (3)

Running back (3)

Wide receiver (4)

Tight end (2)

Offensive tackle (3)

Offensive guard (3)

Center (2)

Fullback (1)

Defense

*Denotes starter

Defensive end (3)

Interior linemen (3)

Outside linebacker (3)

Cornerback (4)

Free safety (1)

Strong safety (2)

Dumb topic. Good players by and large make the Pro Bowl. Derwin James isn’t diminished because they didn’t win tonight.

We already have a game for the players who win the most. It’s called the Super Bowl. The Pro Bowl is for individual achievement.

Im sorry you did so much work crafting a really bad OP though. Would be disappointing.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1
  • Dislike 3

Is anyone really going to argue that guys like Jonathan Taylor, Myles Garrett or Quentin Nelson are unworthy because they aren’t playing in the post season?

Are they not the best players at their positions?

Edited by Bangarang
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

Just now, Bangarang said:

Is anyone really going to argue that guys like Jonathan Taylor, Myles Garrett or Quentin Nelson are unworthy because they aren’t playing in the lost season?

Are they not the best players at their positions?

All that work because they’re mad Josh Allen didn’t get a ProBowl nod. SAD!

• Agree 1
  • Dislike 2

There's a reason so many players on that list aren't going to the playoffs.  They cost too much.  Those A+++ players all demand and get far more pay than the A-/A/A+ players the Bills are built to have.  So those other teams have a lot of B-/C+ players who work for cheap.  

I love it that the Bills have a sensible pay scale, with NO holes among the starters and very few weak links among the subs either.  So we don't see a lot of Bills in the Pro Bowl.  Big deal.  We have the 3 seed, and we've beaten the 2 seed and came within a whisker of beating the 1 seed.  I like our chances.

As for being snubbed by the Pro Bowl, I am fine with the idea that the Bills are pissed off.  Let them show how upset they are by excelling in the playoffs.

1 minute ago, FireChans said:

You got really upset about a pretty innocuous post? You need a hug. I don't really care about Josh not making the pro bowl. I do have an issue with our safeties not making it. 

• Like (+1) 1

The Pro Bowl is an individual achievement while the Superbowl is a team achievement. I think some of the selections were questionable, but whether a player's team makes the playoffs shouldn't be a factor. I do think voting should be later in the season so it's not a contest of who had the hottest start of the season.

Just now, ndirish1978 said:

You got really upset about a pretty innocuous post? You need a hug. I don't really care about Josh not making the pro bowl. I do have an issue with our safeties not making it. 

Boo boo dude. They are great players, we all know that. 

I’d much rather have good players who make the playoffs instead of the ProBowl than the other way around. So honestly, who cares?

Just now, FireChans said:

Boo boo dude. They are great players, we all know that. 

I’d much rather have good players who make the playoffs instead of the ProBowl than the other way around. So honestly, who cares?

My point being, that if for someone who admittedly doesn't care, you took the time to come in the thread just to rip on me for posting a question. 

4 minutes ago, ndirish1978 said:

My point being, that if for someone who admittedly doesn't care, you took the time to come in the thread just to rip on me for posting a question. 

I’m saying the crux of your post is dumb. It makes no sense. We have an award for winning games already. The ProBowl isn’t for the best team in the NFL. Myles Garrett is still great. He doesn’t get to play in the Super Bowl because his team wasn’t. He gets in the ProBowl because he’s still great. 

Why would the ProBowl be changed when it’s literally doing exactly what it’s designed to do? Because some players sometimes deserve to go and don’t? Lol

23 minutes ago, FireChans said:

I’m saying the crux of your post is dumb. It makes no sense. We have an award for winning games already. The ProBowl isn’t for the best team in the NFL. Myles Garrett is still great. He doesn’t get to play in the Super Bowl because his team wasn’t. He gets in the ProBowl because he’s still great. 

Why would the ProBowl be changed when it’s literally doing exactly what it’s designed to do? Because some players sometimes deserve to go and don’t? Lol

We should all be upset Mac Jones didn’t make the Pro Bowl. His team is in the playoffs. 

• Haha (+1) 2

40 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Why would the ProBowl be changed when it’s literally doing exactly what it’s designed to do? 

Is it though? What is it supposed to mean anyway? I think at one point it was supposed to be a way to honor the best players in the game. That can often be subjective. But when you have outliers like Jackson making it this year over Burrow, Allen and Carr then it makes me think that must not be the meaning anymore. And yeah it probably lost it's meaning years ago. 

1 hour ago, FireChans said:

I think the OPs point is most salient in regards to QB position. It’s the most important position in the game yet 2/3 AFC selections didn’t lead their teams to the post season despite multiple pro bowl selections at other positions from their teams.  The thing to probably remember is when this voting took place we were in a bit of a slump. With hindsight both Burrow and Josh (his running more than makes up for any ground lost as a passer) should be in over Herbert and Jackson (huge error).

that and it’s crazy the number 1 defense doesn’t have a pro bowler. 

Well I don't think you look at wins. But you should look at the stats and impact play from these players. Josh Allen has better stats than those other QB's that were chosen. He is a clear snub.

Jordan Poyer definately deserved it as well.

2 hours ago, ndirish1978 said:

I just think it's ridiculous we have the #1 scoring and total defense and not a single player on D was honored. 

Poyer deserved it. Hyde probably as well. There's an argument for Taron Johnson, but nobody besides Poyer and Hyde had the individual stats to warrant a pro bowl, really.

But I consider Poyer to be a huge snub. He had an outstanding year.

10 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Here is how to "fix" the pro bowl. Scrap it. 

I'd have the existing AP voted all pro teams and replace the pro bowl with an NFLPA selected all pro team voted on by the players. 

No game. Just two chances to make the merit list.

Never gonna happen.  You know why?

gif.gif

Though I agree with the rest.

Edited by The Wiz
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Billznut said:

I wish they would just end the Pro Bowl. It came very close to ending a few years back. It’s a shame that didn’t happen. 

I think the game itself should have disappeared a long time ago.

If they want to name a "pro bowl" team as a way of honoring exceptional players around the league, that's fine, but get rid of the game.

I haven't even thought of watching one in probably 30 years.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Nextmanup said:

I think the game itself should have disappeared a long time ago.

If they want to name a "pro bowl" team as a way of honoring exceptional players around the league, that's fine, but get rid of the game.

I haven't even thought of watching one in probably 30 years.

And yet the Pro Bowl still garners higher ratings than competing NBA and NHL games - so it still makes the networks and the NFL money.

For the players - especially those on the rookie wage scale - it also directly equates to money and the fifth year option.

I really don’t care if they move on or not, but I think the NFL will try to do everything they can to keep it and get one more week of money from the networks and the networks want that one more week of football because of ratings.

11 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

And yet the Pro Bowl still garners higher ratings than competing NBA and NHL games - so it still makes the networks and the NFL money.

For the players - especially those on the rookie wage scale - it also directly equates to money and the fifth year option.

I really don’t care if they move on or not, but I think the NFL will try to do everything they can to keep it and get one more week of money from the networks and the networks want that one more week of football because of ratings.

Where there is money to be had, the NFL will be there.

For me, the whole concept of "pro bowl" or "all star game" is a weird, dated, old fashioned thing that shouldn't exist anymore.  I find it pretty bad in all sports.

I think kids like them; I used to enjoy the whole thing when I was a teenager in the 1980s, and remember getting all excited at the number of Bills who made the Pro Bowl back when we were great in the late '80s and '90s.

I find it hard to care much but if I was the NFL I would want to "fix it" by electing guys most deserving. There will always be outrage over some guy over another but what happens now is ridiculous, almost like a random pick of starters.  I would think the players would want to fix it too since it is tied to incentives/contracts.

As far as listing who made and did not make the postseason, I don think that should be a factor...its best player at the position which could be someone on the Jets or Jags.

I loved it the week after the Super Bowl. They should go back to that - it was helpful to the weaning off process.  

With all the talking heads in the business now they could easily turn the booth conversations during the unwatchable game into a Free Agency preview spectacular regarding the off-season goals of the various players and teams. 

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, ClemsonBills said:

Super Bowls get you into the HOF, not pro bowls.

Agreed,  but all the All-Pro honors and Pro Bowl stuff, etc is part of a players resume and does help them get in when the time comes for consideration.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, ndirish1978 said:

Offense

*Denotes starter

Quarterback (3)

Running back (3)

Wide receiver (4)

Tight end (2)

Offensive tackle (3)

Offensive guard (3)

Center (2)

Fullback (1)

Defense

*Denotes starter

Defensive end (3)

Interior linemen (3)

Outside linebacker (3)

Cornerback (4)

Free safety (1)

Strong safety (2)

Did not make the playoffs does not mean much because their teams were in the hunt.  I think the biggest question mark pick was Lamar Jackson who is not better than Josh Allen or had a better season.

Yeah they should make them wear pants not panties and make them play real football ;)

41 minutes ago, zow2 said:

Agreed,  but all the All-Pro honors and Pro Bowl stuff, etc is part of a players resume and does help them get in when the time comes for consideration.

When Josh is done he will have crushed all of HOF JK12's records and won a couple of SB's not making the pantie bowl wont even matter.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.