Saturday Night 1/15 Weather Thread

Rubes

Just now, buffalonian said:

I assume they will be rotating balls like they do when it is raining. Maybe they will keep balls warm when not in use, and switch them with in after each possession.  (That's alot of talk about balls in two sentences).  

It's easy to keep balls dry and rotate them in for rain games; not sure how you keep them warm.

I'm not aware of any heater or process for doing that.

And if they did do that, Jim Kelly wouldn't have gone off on the problems with a cold ball.

Maybe it's changed since he played?  

Just now, Nextmanup said:

It's easy to keep balls dry and rotate them in for rain games; not sure how you keep them warm.

And if they did do that, Jim Kelly wouldn't have gone off on the problems with a cold ball.

Maybe.  I really have no idea what I'm talking about on this subject.  Just making assumptions.  

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Process said:

I don't recall seeing Allen miss many open receivers yesterday though. He definitely missed Davis on the long ball.

Allen can play better for sure. But I think most of our problems on O are due to a bad offensive coordinator/play caller, and an overrated WR group that struggles to get open or make plays. 

Regardless of how far we go this year, the offense needs some serious work in the off-season.

As others have pointed out, maybe this had to do with the game plan as there were a lot of quick throws and Beth little

movement in/out of the pocket from josh.  Snap, drop, throw. Maybe that they wanted to keep josh healthy and avoid him taking hits. Whatever it was, he didn’t look good. 

others have pointed out that he was fine throwing in quarters 1 + 4 and that the wind had a huge affect on his passes in 2 + 3.  Maybe that was the issue.  It’s too bad that our location + stadium can dictate so much of what happens on the field.

1 minute ago, buffalonian said:

Maybe.  I really have no idea what I'm talking about on this subject.  Just making assumptions.  

It would be nice if the TV broadcast crew would comment on useful information like this and show us the heater (if there is one) or tell us the process for keeping balls warm.

Instead we get weird on-screen cartoon graphics that are just stupid and presumably designed to entertain an 8 year old.

ESPN always does that stupid graphics thing too on MNF with little cartoons and what not.

TV sports broadcasting in America is just horrible.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

It would be nice if the TV broadcast crew would comment on useful information like this and show us the heater (if there is one) or tell us the process for keeping balls warm.

Instead we get weird on-screen cartoon graphics that are just stupid and presumably designed to entertain an 8 year old.

ESPN always does that stupid graphics thing too on MNF with little cartoons and what not.

TV sports broadcasting in America is just horrible.

Yeah. That would be useful.  Any information about how teams attempt to mitigate bad weather conditions during the game.  

7 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

Your balls will stay warm on their own if you keep your hands outta your pants.

6 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

So far weather looks perfect for a cold calm snow game Saturday night. That's what fans love. As of now wind shouldn't be a problem. This has the makings of a beautiful night. 

We will see breaths. We will see steam coming off of lineman's heads. We will see Belichick hoody wrapped in a parka. Should be fun.

I believe phones and tablets just shatter at temps below 20°F when thrown up against hard walls. So that’ll be cool to see too.

• Haha (+1) 1

If it's going to be single digits but feel like -5, the game will most certainly be impacted by weather. 

Expect low score, some sloppiness, and this helps New England and hurts us.

Doesn't mean we can't beat them soundly.

Edited by Nextmanup

40 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

If it's going to be single digits but feel like -5, the game will most certainly be impacted by weather. 

Cold over wind or rain all day.

1 hour ago, Jauronimo said:

Your balls will stay warm on their own if you keep your hands outta your pants.

Nature's hand warmers. 

1 hour ago, ColoradoBills said:

It's winter and it's going to be snowy and cold in Cincinnati too.

Wind is the issue and so far that looks OK.

Agree about the wind. Cinci averages under 15 inches per year. OP averages 120... They're on the border with Kentucky.  

5 minutes ago, Motorin' said:

Agree about the wind. Cinci averages under 15 inches per year. OP averages 120... They're on the border with Kentucky.  

Everyone always thinks if it's cold somewhere then it's like Buffalo weather. Buffalo is basically in a category all alone when talking about weather. No one is like Buffalo.

• Like (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

Cold is ok.

Wind would hurt us, but doesn't sound like there is a ton of it

This is a fun/interesting article talking about the cold and its impact on the game with respect to 49ers at Packers wildcard playoff game from 2014.  It was 5 degrees at kickoff, but -10 wind chill.  

Then the sun went down and it got worse.  

Troy Aikman was showing how you have to hold a ball differently to pass in that kind of cold.

They had HEATERS around the beer taps in Lambeau so the beer wouldn't freeze.  

Kicker Phil Dawson tells Erin Andrews: “The ball feels like an absolute brick. The footing is going to get worse … in these conditions it is so difficult to kick.”

Kaepernick threw for 227; Rodgers threw for 177.

San Fran won 23-20.  

I remember this game well; Kaepernick played the whole game with bare arms and I thought they were going to freeze and fall off.  

https://ew.com/article/2014/01/05/49ers-vs-packers-live-blog-cold/

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

This is a fun/interesting article talking about the cold and its impact on the game with respect to 49ers at Packers wildcard playoff game from 2014.  It was 5 degrees at kickoff, but -10 wind chill.  

Troy Aikman was showing how you have to hold a ball differently to pass in that kind of cold.

Kicker Phil Dawson tells Erin Andrews: “The ball feels like an absolute brick. The footing is going to get worse … in these conditions it is so difficult to kick.”

San Fran won 23-20.  

I remember this game well; Kaepernick played the whole game with bare arms and I thought they were going to freeze and fall off.  

Cold definitely affects all aspects of the game. I personally feel it's less impact than wind and wet. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Cold definitely affects all aspects of the game. I personally feel it's less impact than wind and wet. 

Wind is the worst, but when it's THAT cold, it is a big factor.

Having said that, I have never played a down in the NFL in cold weather.

I don't think folks are realizing how freaking cold this game is going to be.

33 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Everyone always thinks if it's cold somewhere then it's like Buffalo weather. Buffalo is basically in a category all alone when talking about weather. No one is like Buffalo.

Once again, I was just talking about this Saturday's weather forecast for the Bengals game.

Cold and snowy.

Latest NWS forecast - colder but no snow

NYZ085-111030-
Southern Erie-
Including the cities of Orchard Park and Springville
338 PM EST Mon Jan 10 2022

...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT UNTIL 7 AM EST TUESDAY...

.TONIGHT...Lake effect snow and areas of blowing snow this evening,
then a chance of snow showers late. Additional accumulation 2 to 4
inches in the most persistent snows. Windy, cold with lows ranging
from zero to 5 below inland to 5 to 10 above along the Lake Erie
shore. West winds 15 to 30 mph, becoming northwest and diminishing to
5 to 10 mph. Chance of snow near 100 percent.
.TUESDAY...Partly to mostly sunny. Scattered flurries. Cold with
highs ranging from 15 to 20 inland to the lower 20s along the Lake
Erie shore. Light winds, becoming southwest 10 to 15 mph.
.TUESDAY NIGHT...Partly to mostly cloudy. Not as cold. Early evening
lows 10 to 15, then temperatures rising to the lower 20s inland and
to the upper 20s along the Lake Erie shore. South winds 10 to 20 mph
with gusts up to 30 mph overnight.
.WEDNESDAY...Mostly cloudy. A chance of snow showers in the
afternoon. Highs ranging from the mid 30s inland to the upper 30s
along the Lake Erie shore. Southwest winds 15 to 20 mph with gusts
up to 35 mph. Chance of snow 50 percent.
.WEDNESDAY NIGHT...Cloudy with a 50 percent chance of snow showers.
Lows ranging from the mid 20s inland to the upper 20s along the Lake
Erie shore. West winds 10 to 15 mph, diminishing to 5 to 10 mph.
.THURSDAY...Cloudy with a 40 percent chance of snow showers. Highs
in the lower 30s.
.THURSDAY NIGHT...Mostly cloudy with a 40 percent chance of snow
showers. Lows 15 to 20.
.FRIDAY...Mostly cloudy with a 30 percent chance of snow showers.
Highs 15 to 20.
.FRIDAY NIGHT...Mostly cloudy. Lows 5 to 10 above.
.SATURDAY...Mostly cloudy. Highs 15 to 20.
.SATURDAY NIGHT...Mostly cloudy. Lows 10 to 15.
.SUNDAY...Partly sunny. Highs in the mid 20s.
.SUNDAY NIGHT...Mostly cloudy. Lows 15 to 20.
.MARTIN LUTHER KING JR DAY...Mostly cloudy with a 30 percent chance
of snow showers. Highs around 30.

1 hour ago, Process said:

The Packers and Vikings just played a game in similar conditions two weeks ago. Rodgers went for 288 and 2 TDs in a blowout. 

Hopefully Allen can handle the temps. I like his chances compared to noodle arm.

More worries about the WRs, TE handling the cold. They seem to get the dropsies in colder weather 

1 hour ago, Nextmanup said:

Wind is the worst, but when it's THAT cold, it is a big factor.

Having said that, I have never played a down in the NFL in cold weather.

I don't think folks are realizing how freaking cold this game is going to be.

I was at this one....

Dec. 26th 1993 – vs. N.Y. Jets, 9 degrees, wind chill of minus-28. Had to drink your beer fast in parking lot

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

San Fran won 23-20.  

The thing is that's perfect for Josh

Josh has a variety of releases and in that cold weather you need to go a little bit more three quarter sidearm to control the ball 

Josh has a beautiful delivery in that release and does it very naturally

2 hours ago, Process said:

15 and low of 5

People don’t realize…..Typically to get this cold, there is very little wind, and clear(ish) skies.

I vaguely remember catching a ‘real’ football as a kid, hitting the ground, damn that hurt my hands/body. Tackle football in this is fun for about 30 minutes!

• Like (+1) 1

Most likely will be the second coldest game in Bills history with temps in the single digits and a predicted low of 4 for Saturday night. Temps likely somewhere around 7 or 8 degrees at kickoff.

Coldest game was against the Raiders with a temp of 0 during the 1993 AFC Divisional Game which they won to send the Bills to their 4th straight AFC Championship Game. I was at that game against the Chiefs the next week...it was cold but not that cold.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.