Holy comp picks coming our way!

Pete

Hughes, Addison, Sanders, Trubisky, Butler, Boettger, Wallace, Jones, Obada, Breida, Phillips, Zimmer, McKenzie, Neil are all UFA.  With our cap constraints, I can't imagine us making any big signings.  IMO we must extend Harrison and Levi, and maybe Siran.  I know the NFL comp awards system always screws Bills, just like the refs.  But everyone of those players will sign somewhere IMO.  Put that in your pipe NFL comp man- we will be awarded several comp picks, it's inevitable

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

You really think we are gonna let Wallace go?

Of course.  Bills keep guys like Wallace if they're willing to take less.  He's not a core player, so the Bills will be disciplined about what they pay him.  

• Agree 2

Fully expect Beane to re-work some contracts (Diggs) and possibly let Star go to create cap space.  Wallace and Phillips will be priority re-signings.  I could see them bring back Hughes, Neal, Zimmer, McKenzie and Boettger.  Bills have trouble getting all their picks on the 53 man as it is.

• Agree 1

Just now, DCbillsfan said:

Fully expect Beane to re-work some contracts (Diggs) and possibly let Star go to create cap space.  Wallace and Phillips will be priority re-signings.  I could see them bring back Hughes, Neal, Zimmer, McKenzie and Boettger.  Bills have trouble getting all their picks on the 53 man as it is.

Bease is probably gone also, saving over 6 mil

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 4

Beane has had much success with mid round picks.  We have cap constraints.  So going forward, keeping core intact, and filling roster spots with rookies on 4-5 year rookie contracts makes perfect fiscal sense.  If we lose all our UFAs, we need to fill those roster spots.  And it’s most cost effective to replace with draft picks

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

I believe compensation is based on how much they sign for & how much they play.  Of course, you need to have a net loss, too.  I think the latter will be the case. 

I think we will retain one of Addison or Hughes, presumably for much less than they're currently making based on their performance & age.  The other will sign for a "reasonable" contract.

I'd like to see us retain Wallace & indications are that his contract, too, will be "reaSONBALE", ie ~$5m/yr.

I can see Trubisky potentially signing a "big" contract & starting somewhere, especially if Dabol gets a HC job & takes him w/ him.  This could be worth like a 3rd rounder.

Boettger, , Phillips & maybe Zimmer might get modest contracts, which might yield like a 7th or so.

The rest are basically near minimum wage type guys & won't yield anything (except in making us a net loss player-wise)

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Bease is probably gone also, saving over 6 mil

Beane has all his 2022 picks plus another 6th (Darryl Johnson) and 7th (Lee Smith).

Maybe a 3rd for Frazier like @Logicsaid earlier.

Maybe one or 2 comps picks (who knows for sure yet).

My other hope is IF some of these vet "cut" that people are talking about can turn into a trade by Beane instead of cuts the draft could

get interesting.  Beane would have some chances for wheeling and dealing.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Pete said:

I’m merely looking at how well Beane has stocked our roster, and how we are built to win the next 10 years 

It's all good, brother, I simply get a kick out of those fans who are obsessed with the comp pick formula and allocations.

39 minutes ago, Pete said:

Hughes, Addison, Sanders, Trubisky, Butler, Boettger, Wallace, Jones, Obada, Breida, Phillips, Zimmer, McKenzie, Neil are all UFA.  With our cap constraints, I can't imagine us making any big signings.  IMO we must extend Harrison and Levi, and maybe Siran.  I know the NFL comp awards system always screws Bills, just like the refs.  But everyone of those players will sign somewhere IMO.  Put that in your pipe NFL comp man- we will be awarded several comp picks, it's inevitable

A lot more goes into it than just players lost. Another team has to sign them to a pretty large contract. Also, I believe it factors in what contracts we gave out to FA as well. Out of all of those I see some being back, some signed to average contracts. MAYBE Trubisky gets a deal from a desperate GM needing a QB miracle. 

Just now, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

And be roundly criticized by many here for whom he has chosen. 🤨

That goes without saying.  It was fun to re-read the comments about the 2018 1st round (7th overall) pick today.

If everyone in that thread ate what they needed to crow would be on the endangered species list.

• Haha (+1) 1

Don’t laugh at the guy but with Covid, the draft last year was really week after round 4. With the extra year this draft will be deeper than typical ones.

The Bills have 9 picks. If Frazier gets a HC job that’s an extra 3rd. Usually you have to get about 3.5 million now to even qualify in the top 32 lost Free Agents.

Out of those guys that are Free Agents, I suspect if we don’t re sign them that Trubisky, Wallace, Phillips, maybe Hughes on a 1 year, and Neal because of his STs prowess plus position flexibility being the likely guys. I would suspect we end up with 2 comp picks in the later rounds. 

It could end up being 

1st

2nd

3rd

3rd(Frazier)

4th

5th

5th(Comp)

6th

6th(Johnson)

6th(Comp)

7th

7th(Smith) 

• Like (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

The one that has the chance to give us a third would be trubisky. He took a nagy team to the playoffs.  Dalton got 10 mil so maybe he does which i believe is the third round number. 

Excited Gold GIF

Now a 3rd round pick could be something worth getting excited about, good stuff is there in the 3rd round!! That’s our sweet spot for a RB 😂 🤢 

Edited by Dr. Football
  • Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Might Rather said:

I've always liked Levi and he has stepped up when need most recently! He is the kind of player/person Mcdermott loves so I think he'll be back. 

Spotrac has a market value on Levi of 3 years $17M.  It seems about right so it will come down to cap.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/levi-wallace-25587/market-value/

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.