CDC changes isolation period...NFL now adopts (Bills related for Gabe Davis)

Hebert19

• Big Turk changed the title to NFL/NFLPA close to adopting new CDC guidelines reducing quarantine to 5 days from 10 days(including unvax'd players)...could be done by tonight. Per Schefter

The one thing that seems crazy is, apparently, one does not need to test negative before being allowed to return. If a person is possibly contagious, and if one is still positive, then returning that player to the locker room is insane. I hope the NFL and the PA add on that a player/coach/staff must test negative before they return.

33 minutes ago, Big Turk said:
Do teams that had players miss 2 games prior have a legitimate gripe, that they were put at a competitive disadvantage and that everyone should be forced to miss 10 days for fairness? 

Nope, those applied to everyone, just like these do.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

17 minutes ago, richNjoisy said:

The one thing that seems crazy is, apparently, one does not need to test negative before being allowed to return. If a person is possibly contagious, and if one is still positive, then returning that player to the locker room is insane. I hope the NFL and the PA add on that a player/coach/staff must test negative before they return.

It's based off of CDC research indicating that most individuals are not contagious after 3 days of symptoms, regardless of testing.  This is why they've reduced the public isolation guidance to 5 days, as well, with an extra 5 days of precautionary mask wearing.

28 minutes ago, richNjoisy said:

A person can test positive for three months after having it; both NYSDOH and my employer told me that. So requiring a negative test may not be possible. 

• Agree 3

Just now, Magox said:

Everything is beginning to move in this direction, as it should have been since the beginning of the season.   Better late than never.

The studies providing firm info about timeline for contagious individuals wasn’t available. The league worked with the info in place. It would have been ideal, but I can’t argue that it would have been prudent at the beginning of the season based on the info in hand. 

36 minutes ago, richNjoisy said:

You don’t need to test negative but your test results must confirm that you’re no longer contagious. 

6 minutes ago, MiltonWaddams said:

The studies providing firm info about timeline for contagious individuals wasn’t available. The league worked with the info in place. It would have been ideal, but I can’t argue that it would have been prudent at the beginning of the season based on the info in hand. 

All the info that was necessary to make a decision was available, even if you look at how the CDC is formulating their decisions, very little of it makes sense, confusing and contradictory.   They are being driven by outside forces, companies, labor shortages, $ etc and they are beginning to wind down and go off the exit ramp.    Not under the terms that they had hoped but winding down none the less.

• Eyeroll 1

1 hour ago, Big Turk said:
Do teams that had players miss 2 games prior have a legitimate gripe, that they were put at a competitive disadvantage and that everyone should be forced to miss 10 days for fairness? 

Doubt it matters, NFL wants it's stars to play and not have replacement level players in there like it was the strike shortened season in 1987

Yes, they have gripes.

But

business, first

entertainment, second

sport/athletics, third

Results of Game do not matter in the slightest. We are all watching and continue watching.  No matter what.

1 hour ago, Big Turk said:

Doubt it matters, NFL wants it's stars to play and not have replacement level players in there like it was the strike shortened season in 1987

IMO, no. This is a fluid situation, and you change as the information changes. Can they regret the timing?  Does it suck on some level? Yep, of course, but reducing the number of games missed makes this a better league with more players eligible, and I think that’s what most people want. 

• Like (+1) 1

• Hapless Bills Fan changed the title to CDC changes isolation period...NFL now adopts (Bills related for Gabe Davis)
1 hour ago, FireChans said:

Cole Beasley and Gabe Davis are saved and their status didn't matter at all.  Shout out @HappyDays

They both were subjected to daily testing and ended up missing a game as a result. But I'm glad this change is happening just because it will make the playoffs less of a wildcard. If I were the NFL I would also freeze all covid testing of vaccinated players unless they were symptomatic. My worst fear is Allen is chosen for random testing a couple days before a playoff game and tests positive with no symptoms.

I'm a little bit unsure how the rule works. Is it 5 days from the positive test as long as you're asymptomatic at that time? Or 5 days from when the symptoms stop? What if a vaccinated player is randomly tested and tests positive but has no symptoms? Could they immediately be taken off the list the next day?

• Big Turk changed the title to NFL/NFLPA adopted new CDC guidelines reducing quarantine to 5 days from 10 days(including unvax'd players) Per Schefter
11 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

They both were subjected to daily testing and ended up missing a game as a result. But I'm glad this change is happening just because it will make the playoffs less of a wildcard. If I were the NFL I would also freeze all covid testing of vaccinated players unless they were symptomatic. My worst fear is Allen is chosen for random testing a couple days before a playoff game and tests positive with no symptoms.

We've had many players, vaxxed and unvaxxed, miss games.

Glad to see the new guidelines. These men are in tremendous shape, for the most part. I can't imagine having to see Allen miss a playoff game when he has no symptoms or a runny nose.

Edited by Beast
  • Agree 1

So basically after a positive test, a player will be out for 5 days. After that 5 day period if they have no symptoms they can return to the team without additional testing. The rule is the same for vaccinated and unvaccinated players, the only distinction now is the testing frequency.

1 minute ago, HappyDays said:

So basically after a positive test, a player will be out for 5 days. After that 5 day period if they have no symptoms they can return to the team without additional testing. The rule is the same for vaccinated and unvaccinated players, the only distinction now is the testing frequency.

No, buried in there is a "test out" provision where vaccinated players can come back in less than 5 days with 2 negative tests. Of course the likely reason for becoming negative in less than 5 days is a false positive.

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

Mckenzie had an awesome game but Beasley has had 76 catches to date.  We can use both of them.

Well yeah Bease is going to have more catches since he's the starter and McK isn't on the field hardly at all when Bease is playing besides KR.. You can't get a lot of catches/stats when not playing. But yes obviously we can use both, I meant wanting to see more opportunities for McK.

Edited by Sheneneh Jenkins
  • Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.