CDC changes isolation period...NFL now adopts (Bills related for Gabe Davis)

Hebert19

I would think the NFLPA wants the players back as quickly as possible.  The more games they play the more likely they make individual bonuses.  Some of these are big money, I believe Poyer picked up $500,000 with his 5 interceptions, these guys want to play.

19 minutes ago, Ya Digg? said:

Well that wouldn’t effect Josh at all considering he never even got close to him!

Except for the time Judon purposely tripped Josh after the play was over, caught on camera - cheap shot. 

6 hours ago, Hebert19 said:

If NFL adopts then it could mean Davis back before Atlants game??

1) I don't think the NFL is going to go off the CDC's recommendations.  They will continue to go off their own data.  For example, they said 10 days isolation while I believe the CDC was still saying 14 days.   They said 5 days for an unvaccinated close contact while I think the CDC was still saying more.

I'm not saying the NFL wouldn't like to consider this, but since reportedly 95% of the players are vaccinated and asymptomatic vaccinated players are currently not being tested routinely at all, the NFL's current protocols are effectively already more aggressive than this.

2) there's this from the same source:

"if asymptomatic"

So currently in the NFL, asymptomatic players with covid are isolating for 0 days

Symptomatic players can come back as soon as their symptoms clear and they test negative, or positive with a Ct >35, which theoretically could be less than 5 days.

32 minutes ago, Man with No Name said:

According to this, they are going to make a change.  The NBA already did, I believe.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfl-and-nflpa-to-adjust-covid-19-protocols-reportedly-lessen-the-maximum-isolation-period/

That'd be helpful.  I think they may find that most players are symptomatic and continue to test positive, though.  Guess we'll see what they come up with

12 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

1) I don't think the NFL is going to go off the CDC's recommendations.  They will continue to go off their own data.  For example, they said 10 days isolation while I believe the CDC was still saying 14 days.   They said 5 days for an unvaccinated close contact while I think the CDC was still saying more.

I'm not saying the NFL wouldn't like to consider this, but since reportedly 95% of the players are vaccinated and asymptomatic vaccinated players are currently not being tested routinely at all, the NFL's current protocols are effectively already more aggressive than this.

2) there's this from the same source:

"if asymptomatic"

So currently in the NFL, asymptomatic players with covid are isolating for 0 days

Symptomatic players can come back as soon as their symptoms clear and they test negative, or positive with a Ct >35, which theoretically could be less than 5 days.

How would most normal people who are asymptomatic even know they have it in the first place??

• Agree 2

Based on the time it will take to get this done, and the fact that I think the NFL still wants to incentivize players to get vaccinated, I do not think the NFL shortens the window until the playoffs, where they will want to protect ratings/Aaron Rodgers from missing games. 

Davis nor Beasley will be back for ATL. 

19 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

How would most normal people who are asymptomatic even know they have it in the first place??

Because they test, was this a trick question?

Some colleges and employers test everyone every week.  For example nursing homes really ought to do this, and some do.

Hospitals test patients before admission for scheduled procedures or outpatient procedures

For international flights, passengers must test (-) within 48 hrs

People with immunocompromised or highly at risk friends and relatives do antigen tests before they visit

Close contacts of infected people in locales that are still doing test-trace-isolate test 3-5 days post contact

etc etc - just off the top of my head.

Returning this to football relevance, what the NFL is doing by dropping testing of asymptomatic players is wagering the season on their in-house data, whatever it may be, that asymptomatic players will not transmit Covid to their fellow players while the team is employing enhanced protocols in the facility.

I have reservations about this notion because I think the players are gathering outside the facility for meals and holiday gatherings and etc.

But that's the plan.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Because they test, was this a trick question?

Some colleges and employers test everyone every week.  For example nursing homes really ought to do this, and some do.

Hospitals test patients before admission for scheduled procedures or outpatient procedures

For international flights, passengers must test within 48 hrs

People with immunocompromised or highly at risk friends and relatives do antigen tests before they visit

etc etc - just off the top of my head.

Not a trick question...I mean those probably comprise under 20% of the population...the other 80% would have no reason to be tested.

10 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Not a trick question...I mean those probably comprise under 20% of the population...the other 80% would have no reason to be tested.

I have no idea how much of the population they are - seriously - kind of doubt you do too.  I suspect it's more than you believe, given that antigen tests are being cranked out full bore by mfrs and are a huge challenge to find - also living in MO I tend to feel health departments are hamstrung everywhere but then I talk to people from other states where the normal DPH stuff is still getting done and close contacts do get tested.  So 🤷‍♂️ who knows.

Not football relevant, except to note that part of the protocol change was that clubs were to distribute home antigen tests to players for the use of friends and families.  Whether they actually use them before get-togethers or just stack them up in a cabinet, again 🤷‍♂️ but I'd bet my last dime they aren't masking.

8 hours ago, ganesh said:

He tripped him !!!!  That was as close as he got !

Seems like Judon was part of the party gang-tackling Allen on a few of his runs, and they were exchanging "views" on the ground.  On at least one occasion it appeared Judon was kicking Allen after the play and on another it appeared he was trying to punch Allen on the excuse of punching the ball (while the guy's on his back?  Seriously, Judon?) and Allen stiff-armed him and threw him off.

I don't think they like each other.

I’m not really sure that it would be fair to change the “10 day quarantine for unvaccinated” rule right now.

We are in week 16 and many teams have already had unvaccinated players miss 10 days. It wouldn’t really be fair to them.

Like Indy, for ex. Should they be able to get Wentz back in 5 days instead of 10 even though many other teams already lost guys for 10 days (which may have impacted the outcome of games)?

Don’t get me wrong, I’d love to get agave Davis back in time for the Atlanta game (assuming he’s asymptomatic by them). But I say, if they’re going to change it maybe the best way to do it would be to wait until the playoffs. Then there’s no competitive advantage/disadvantage since it’s kind of a clean slate for everyone.

I guess you could still argue that the 10 day protocol had an impact on playoff seeding so leave it in place. But I think changing it for the playoffs would be fair.

25 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

I’m not really sure that it would be fair to change the “10 day quarantine for unvaccinated” rule right now.

We are in week 16 and many teams have already had unvaccinated players miss 10 days. It wouldn’t really be fair to them.

Like Indy, for ex. Should they be able to get Wentz back in 5 days instead of 10 even though many other teams already lost guys for 10 days (which may have impacted the outcome of games)?

Don’t get me wrong, I’d love to get agave Davis back in time for the Atlanta game (assuming he’s asymptomatic by them). But I say, if they’re going to change it maybe the best way to do it would be to wait until the playoffs. Then there’s no competitive advantage/disadvantage since it’s kind of a clean slate for everyone.

I guess you could still argue that the 10 day protocol had an impact on playoff seeding so leave it in place. But I think changing it for the playoffs would be fair.

Oh, wow.  I hadn't thought of it from the perspective of "changed rules = unfair competitive advantage".  So your argument is that earlier in the season, teams were forced to play without key players that may have cost them a game, so now if key players on other teams are allowed back, that's unfair?

There's the other part of the picture though, which is the recent surge in cases, after being pretty well controlled all through the season (click to embiggen)

image.thumb.png.111fe6853dd88f90b73d3c6cc920e742.png

I'm not good at this kind of debate, but I  think one could argue that losing players to the Covid list poses a new extreme of competitive disadvantage to all teams in the last 2 weeks.

I guess overall, I'm in favor of the NFL doing its best job of following their current data and current science.  But I wish they were willing to be more forthcoming and share their data transparently, because absent that, I understand why it looks to some people as though they are "making it up as they go along"

• Like (+1) 1

20 hours ago, Hebert19 said:

If NFL adopts then it could mean Davis back before Atlants game??

My understanding that it goes to 5 days only if you are asymptomatic.  Additionally, you have to wear a face mask for 5 days after the 5 day quarantine period.  

So I don’t see how this could change anything in the NFL personally, players aren’t going to be playing with face masks on and won’t be allowed to be around other people without one until the 10 days are up still.  

So IMHO this is likely going to change nothing for the 10 day period rules in the NFL, nor do I even see a way it could given the mask mandate for the 5 days after the 5 day quarantine period.  

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I  think one could argue that losing players to the Covid list poses a new extreme of competitive disadvantage to all teams in the last 2 weeks.

I think, given the infection rate of the Omicron variant and the sheer numbers of players teams are starting to lose to the Covid list, this may become the single most important variable in wins and losses heading into the playoffs.

The SB winner may very well be the team that is fortunate enough to keep more of their most valuable players off the list than other teams.

I hope that isn't true, but given the surge we are seeing (see the 21 players lost over by the Saints), it very well may be the case.

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Oh, wow.  I hadn't thought of it from the perspective of "changed rules = unfair competitive advantage".  So your argument is that earlier in the season, teams were forced to play without key players that may have cost them a game, so now if key players on other teams are allowed back, that's unfair?

There's the other part of the picture though, which is the recent surge in cases, after being pretty well controlled all through the season (click to embiggen)

image.thumb.png.111fe6853dd88f90b73d3c6cc920e742.png

I'm not good at this kind of debate, but I  think one could argue that losing players to the Covid list poses a new extreme of competitive disadvantage to all teams in the last 2 weeks.

I guess overall, I'm in favor of the NFL doing its best job of following their current data and current science.  But I wish they were willing to be more forthcoming and share their data transparently, because absent that, I understand why it looks to some people as though they are "making it up as they go along"

Yeah I was just thinking of teams that were forced to play without rosters and may miss the playoffs.

good point on omicron though. And this is kind of unprecedented times, with the pandemic and all. I guess It’s not like they’re changing the pass interference rules mid season or something.

maybe any competitive disadvantage to teams that already dealt with covid is balanced out by the players they could potentially get back sooner now and in the future?

I am all in favor of following the science and I’d ideally like to see the quarantine window shortened (especially since it could help the Bills). Im assuming most NFL teams would probably be good with it too. 

edit - @Hapless Bills Fan 

this is one of the teams I was thinking of. Raiders fighting for their playoff life and playing colts next.

Edited by BillsFan4

Do teams that had players miss 2 games prior have a legitimate gripe, that they were put at a competitive disadvantage and that everyone should be forced to miss 10 days for fairness? 

Doubt it matters, NFL wants it's stars to play and not have replacement level players in there like it was the strike shortened season in 1987

Edited by Big Turk

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.