Bills and Patriots headed for Round 3

gonzo1105

Man looking at the standings and the remaining games the Bills and Patriots are very very likely to end up facing each other again no matter who takes the division. 

I have the assumption the the Bills are not catching the Chiefs or Titans. 

Titans-Dolphins, @ Texans cant see them going worse than 1-1 but 2-0 likely eliminating the possibility of the 2 seed

Bengals- Chiefs, @ Browns- Either going 1-1 or 0-2

Bills-Falcons, Jets. I think we all expect 2-0.

1.Chiefs

2. Titans 

3. AFC East Champ(likely the Bills)

4. AFC North Champion( likely the Bengals)

The wild card will be amongst a slew of teams 

Indy- Raiders, @ Jags - 2-0 but Wentz can cost them the Raiders but unlikely. This would lock the Colts into the 5 seed. 

1- Chiefs Bye

2 God knows who vs Titans

3- Patriots @ Bills

4- Colts @ Bengals 

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, gonzo1105 said:

Man looking at the standings and the remaining games the Bills and Patriots are very very likely to end up facing each other again no matter who takes the division. 

I have the assumption the the Bills are not catching the Chiefs or Titans. 

Titans-Dolphins, @ Texans cant see them going worse than 1-1 but 2-0 likely eliminating the possibility of the 2 seed

Bengals- Chiefs, @ Browns- Either going 1-1 or 0-2

Bills-Falcons, Jets. I think we all expect 2-0.

1.Chiefs

2. Titans 

3. AFC East Champ(likely the Bills)

4. AFC North Champion( likely the Bengals)

The wild card will be amongst a slew of teams 

Indy- Raiders, @ Jags - 2-0 but Wentz can cost them the Raiders but unlikely. This would lock the Colts into the 5 seed. 

1- Chiefs Bye

2 God knows who vs Titans

3- Patriots @ Bills

4- Colts @ Bengals 

I wouldn’t assume the Bengals lose to the Chiefs like that, they’re a solid team and could beat the Chiefs.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Doc said:

The Cheaters may not make the playoffs.  They have a game against Miami to end the season and Miami will be gunning for bear, at home.

The Patriots are going to make it on tie breakers . They have a 7-3 conference record. Even with a loss to the Dolphins they will be 10-7 and hold an 8-4 AFC record. They are making it unless they lose to the Jags 

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Dr. Football said:

Honestly I’d rather play noodle arm Mac then anyone else in the playoffs, they do a great job hiding him with there run game and defense but, it’s basically a bye week 😂

Refs won't call a clean game in the playoffs. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, gonzo1105 said:

I find it highly unlikely the Bengals beat the Chiefs but will admit they have the type of team to do it. 

I really don't care.  Give this team another crack at the Colts after being embarrassed by them.  Just win the next two.

20 minutes ago, gonzo1105 said:

The Patriots are going to make it on tie breakers. They have a 7-3 conference record. Even with a loss to the Dolphins they will be 10-7 and hold an 8-4 AFC record. They are making it unless they lose to the Jags 

Are you factoring in that Miami will have swept the Cheaters?

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Doc said:

Are you factoring in that Miami will have swept the Cheaters?

it doesn’t matter unless the Patriots are going up directly against the Dolphins for that spot. Highly unlikely with the Dolphins remaining schedule. 

The first tiebreaker is head to head so sure if the Dolphins go 3-0 and the Pats 1-1 that’s a possibility. Every other tiebreaker starts with Conference record which the Patriots hold a big advantage in vs all of the WC besides Las Vegas if you can believe that. So if Vegas and the Dolphins are the teams than maybe 

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, gonzo1105 said:

it doesn’t matter unless the Patriots are going up directly against the Dolphins for that spot. Highly unlikely with the Dolphins remaining schedule. 

The first tiebreaker is head to head so sure if the Dolphins go 3-0 and the Pats 1-1 that’s a possibility. Every other tiebreaker starts with Conference record which the Patriots hold a big advantage in vs all of the WC besides Las Vegas if you can believe that. So if Vegas and the Dolphins are the teams than maybe 

That's what I was talking about.  The Dols winning out and the Cheaters going 1-1. 

9 minutes ago, gonzo1105 said:

Assuming they have the same record the pats miss the playoffs in every scenario (bc this would imply MIA went 2-0 head to head).  Wild card tiebreakers still use division tiebreakers if in same division.  Even in the case of 3 or more teams, it still applies division tie breakers first.

Source: https://www.nfl.com/standings/tie-breaking-procedures

Edited by Rew
Add source

I have mentioned this precise thing several times today in a couple different threads!

Yes, there are a TON of simulations that have us playing NE in the playoffs.

I would take that matchup RIGHT NOW if I could sign up for it.

We are straight up the better team.  I said we'd win today and I said so right after we lost the "wind game" on MNF.

We're better, we have the better QB by a mile, and as we saw today, even leaving at least a pair of TDs on the field, we still won with comfort.

Just now, Rew said:

Assuming they have the same record the pats miss the playoffs in every scenario (bc this would imply MIA went 2-0 head to head).  Wild card tiebreakers still use division tiebreakers if in same division.  Even in the case of 3 or more teams, it still applies division tie breakers first.

Source: https://www.nfl.com/standings/tie-breaking-procedures

right I’m not arguing that but the likelihood of the Dolphins going 3-0 is slim 

1 minute ago, gonzo1105 said:

right I’m not arguing that but the likelihood of the Dolphins going 3-0 is slim 

I feel pretty good about them against the saints, given their quarterback situation.  Titans are obviously a bit more of a challenge, but they have a good shot.  I wouldn't go as far as calling them winning the next 2, but to think that they'll be playing NE for the playoffs in week 18 seems feasible.

49 minutes ago, gonzo1105 said:

The Patriots are going to make it on tie breakers . They have a 7-3 conference record. Even with a loss to the Dolphins they will be 10-7 and hold an 8-4 AFC record. They are making it unless they lose to the Jags 

Wrong. Are you a Pats fan?

Edited by atlbillsfan1975

1 hour ago, Steptide said:

Please no. I've had enough Patriots vs Bills for a season 

I’d much rather have the Pats than the Colts coming to Buffalo in 3 weeks. 

8 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

The only team I really don't want to see is the Colts.  I think the Colts are the toughest matchup in the NFL right now.

Agreed and right now it’s definitely looking like we would face Indy or the Pats in the wild card. Would much rather face the Pats again 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

Wrong. Are you a Pats fan?

Yup huge Pats fan. Only been here since like 2002 harassing Bills fans cause I have nothing better to do with my life. You got me. Sorry I’m realistic the Patriots in the vast majority of 1-1 scenarios make the playoffs unless the Dolphins are tied with them 

• Haha (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, gonzo1105 said:

Yup huge Pats fan. Only been here since like 2002 harassing Bills fans cause I have nothing better to do with my life. You got me. Sorry I’m realistic the Patriots in the vast majority of 1-1 scenarios make the playoffs unless the Dolphins are tied with them 

Well with Jones as your QB I wouldn’t be counting any chickens before they hatch. As someone who watched Ryan Fitzpatrick play for years, that’s what you got in Jones. Enjoy. 

Yeah if you have been following the standings........both teams as middle seeds as either division winner or WC.......they have been aligning up to meet again early in the playoffs..........possibly regardless of who won today's game.

That was a subject at our pre-game tailgate........this game was round 2 of a likely 3 round fight.

And IMO the only way to begin to get a measure of revenge on Belichick is to beat him in the playoffs...........so I relish a re-match in Buffalo.

Very reminiscent of the opportunities the Bills got against Shula in the early 90's.   The hand wringers were worried sick about that late season Dolphins matchup for the AFC East lead in 1990.........and then the subsequent playoff game.    The damaged fans were still expecting Shula to re-take ownership.

3 playoff wins later.......including sending him into retirement with 343 yards rushing against..........the slate with Shula felt much more even despite the regular season past.

Of course........getting another crack at the Dolphins in the WC round wouldn't hurt my feelings either.

Edited by BADOLBILZ

27 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

The only team I really don't want to see is the Colts.  I think the Colts are the toughest matchup in the NFL right now.

If they have their offensive line healthy, yes. But last game they put out all second stringers and they looked very vulnerable. Kyler Murray just sucks 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.